• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Welp, it's finally time to start Trial 5.

Also, I could've sworn I unlocked a new skill for raising the
Usami
pet, but I don't see it. Anyone know what it was?

Yasumi

Banned
Gah, my battery got low in the middle of the chapter 4 investigation.
Right after the Russian Roulette part.
So good.

Ondore

It's driving me nuts that I can't click the black bars... thanks to Amazon screwups I'm only now hitting the ch 1 trial.

Nice to see my streak of linking with the character to die is intact, though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Alright, heeelllpppp again, please (Case 5).

Give me a hint as to how Nagito was able to stab himself in his right hand. I want to say that weird spear thing with the chain played a part of it (seeing as the "Blood on Girder" is a clue, but my options don't allow that & I can't think of anything at the moment.

Moonlight

Banned
Alright, heeelllpppp again, please (Case 5).

Give me a hint as to how Nagito was able to stab himself in his right hand. I want to say that weird spear thing with the chain played a part of it (seeing as the "Blood on Girder" is a clue, but my options don't allow that & I can't think of anything at the moment.
He only had one free hand, and if he wanted to prop up the knife to allow him to force his hand through the knife rather than vice versa, what piece of evidence looks like it could fit the bill?

The cheat sheet:
The Monokuma plushie. He set up the hilt in its' stomach.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
He only had one free hand, and if he wanted to prop up the knife to allow him to force his hand through the knife rather than vice versa, what piece of evidence looks like it could fit the bill?

The cheat sheet:
The Monokuma plushie. He set up the hilt in its' stomach.
Wow, I was thinking that evidence would come into play later, but after reading the hint, it clicked. Thank you.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
1st half of Case 5 completed. Not sure if I'll have the time tonight to finish it...Anyways, this seems like it's gonna live up to the reactions on here.

This is already done MUCH better as a suicide case compared to the one from DR1, not to mention this lingering fact that something's missing has my curiosity. I'm starting to hope this means nobody will get executed this time around, but I wouldn't be surprised if my hopes were dashed...

I'm trophy hunting and I wanted to ask to anyone that got this one:

This Belongs in a Museum!
Unlocked all gallery items

Do I have to buy them with coins or is it just going back and getting the scenes I missed?

Also, I'm missing the final movie, can anyone that has it tell me what I need to go to get it.

salromano

These aren't really spoilers, but I'll post them as links just in case:

http://abload.de/img/2014-09-09-175035wijas.jpg
http://abload.de/img/2014-09-09-175040y5jyr.jpg

This is obviously a poster for Danganronpa: Another Episode. There are apparently a number of them throughout the game.

My question is, for those that have played the Japanese PS Vita version (in Danganronpa 1&2 Reload), are these posters also present? I'm trying to figure out if that's the case, or if NISA threw these in themselves as teasers for Dananronpa: Another Episode's localization.

1st half of Case 5 completed. Not sure if I'll have the time tonight to finish it...Anyways, this seems like it's gonna live up to the reactions on here.

This is already done MUCH better as a suicide case compared to the one from DR1, not to mention this lingering fact that something's missing has my curiosity. I'm starting to hope this means nobody will get executed this time around, but I wouldn't be surprised if my hopes were dashed...

Spoilers for END of Chapter 5
RIP Zonic's hopes 2014-2014

Yasumi

Banned
These aren't really spoilers, but I'll post them as links just in case:

http://abload.de/img/2014-09-09-175035wijas.jpg
http://abload.de/img/2014-09-09-175040y5jyr.jpg

This is obviously a poster for Danganronpa: Another Episode. There are apparently a number of them throughout the game.

My question is, for those that have played the Japanese PS Vita version (in Danganronpa 1&2 Reload), are these posters also present? I'm trying to figure out if that's the case, or if NISA threw these in themselves as teasers for Dananronpa: Another Episode's localization.
Yes, they were in the Japanese Vita release.
http://blog-imgs-47-origin.fc2.com/t/0/0/t002tyrant/131124_ronpa1.jpg

The image shows up in DR1 Vita too, during the Monokuma Theatre where it has the trailer for
Sakura's Revenge
. It's on the TV in the bottom left corner, goes through a few different pictures from Another Episode.

Question about a Monokuma Doll location in Chapter 3.

According to the guide, there's supposed to be one on the ceiling of the second floor of the hospital. I looked everywhere and I can't see it. Am I missing something?

Note: I haven't gotten to the murder of this chapter yet, so please no spoilers!

Edit: Found it.
It's actually not in the main area of the 2F of the hospital. It's on the conference room ceiling.

Trigger

Chapter 3 investigation spoilers:

I'm kinda happy that Hiyoko got killed.She was a bitch, and it's better than losing Sonia or someone else I actually like.

I have no idea why but whenever I play this I get extremely sleepy, I never had this problem with one. Maybe it's just my new schedule cause of work.

Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get started on ch.6:/ I'm going to bed.

Post-Chapter 3 spoilers:

I'm usually not very good at figuring out the culprit until at least the halfway point in the case. This time, though, I was pretty sure that Mikan was the killer. However, I was totally thrown off by the method. I was convinced that the effects of the Despair disease were so severe that Ibuki would commit suicide on demand if asked, and therefore concluded that Mikan told Ibuki to kill Hiyoko and then had Ibuki hang herself to silence the witness. I noticed that Ibuki's windpipe was crushed but assumed that the hanging could have caused that - if I had figured out Mikan was lying about the cause of death, I'd like to think I could have put the whole case together for once.

I have no sympathy for Mikan at all. I imagine that because her motive is so incomprehensible, that there will be some reveal later on that causes me to reconsider her actions (at least to some degree), but right now I can't imagine what she remembers that justified murder. And if she's OK with being reunited with her love via execution, why spend so much time and energy denying her guilt?

Also related to the murder trial - the comic doesn't reveal the actual events of the murder - just the re-enactment and cover up. As a result, there's no actual confirmation of the actual murder sequence - we don't know how Mikan lured Ibuki to the music venue (or if she even committed the actual murder on the stage), whether Hiyoko died before or after Ibuki, whether Hiyoko was killed by Ibuki or Mikan, etc. If I remember correctly, that is the first closing argument in either game that omits the actual crime. I don't have a problem with this from a narrative perspective, because the cover-up sequence is conclusive enough to reach a verdict, but I do hope that the game clarifies this at some point.

One quick thought on game mechanics - I don't have a strong opinion on Logic Dive either way, and most of the other minigames feel like chores to me, but I really enjoy the changes that were made to the Closing Argument. I had a hard time figuring out individual panels in DR1, especially if there were multiple panel options with very similar pictures. I'm not sure if it's the tooltip, or splitting up the full set of panels into separate stocks, or something else, but something about DR2 Closing Argument just *works* for me. And the payoff is definitely better - I like how getting instant feedback on panel selections means that I'm guaranteed an uninterrupted narration of the comic sequence once I fill the panels. Solving the puzzle first and then getting the full, damning closing argument presented in one go feels really good.

One more post-Chapter 3 spoiler (or veeeery early Chapter 4? I can't remember where the actual chapter ending takes place):
LOL at Metal Nekomaru.
If we go the rest of the game without
some sort of joke about a robot taking a shit
I am going to be so disappointed.

Isotope

oh man at chapter 3

NOT YOU IBUKI. ;_; Although I'm not entirely upset over Hiyoko. The whole time, I thought Mikan was gonna die.

Labrys

Question about a Monokuma Doll location in Chapter 3.

According to the guide, there's supposed to be one on the ceiling of the second floor of the hospital. I looked everywhere and I can't see it. Am I missing something?

Note: I haven't gotten to the murder of this chapter yet, so please no spoilers!

Edit: Found it.
It's actually not in the main area of the 2F of the hospital. It's on the conference room ceiling.

Sorry about that, I appended the guide with that info. I haven't had very much time to play lately so I'm still in the middle of chapter 2 trial.

Zalman

Just finished chapter 5...

Dammit, I was really hoping Chiaki would make it off the island. She was one of my favorites. That execution was amazing, though.

I have no idea what happened at the end there. Was that a dream? I guess I'll find out soon. Will probably finish it today.

MSMrRound

Anyone know where the middle Monokuma doll is in Chapter 4? I have a feeling it's in the
funhouse, which I can't go back to anymore :/

There's the Monokuma doll guide in the OT info page back in the very first page by Labrys.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UXdaLXoctwTDiDfXdRBHrsOJfZMgEy3_EjoXfc_u4h4/edit#gid=0

Location (chapter 4 spoilers)
In bucket. Third floor of Strawberry Tower. As soon as you press O to switch areas, it's located at that bucket at the left corner

There's the Monokuma doll guide in the OT info page back in the very first page by Labrys.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UXdaLXoctwTDiDfXdRBHrsOJfZMgEy3_EjoXfc_u4h4/edit#gid=0

Location (chapter 4 spoilers)
In bucket. Third floor of Strawberry Tower. As soon as you press O to switch areas, it's located at that bucket at the left corner

Looks like the one I actually missed was in the
Monokuma library
. I swore I was in that room for a good 10-15 minutes clicking on everything. Damn!

NotLiquid

Chapter 6 is one of the coolest mindfuck things this series has brought to the table.

Finally finished the game proper rather than reading lets plays and transcripts. Great game with a lot more exciting twists on the genre in comparison to the first one. I warmed up to some of the minigames in the end but Hangman's Gambit still becomes complete bullshit difficulty-wise. Logic Dive was an interesting gimmick though and I like how the idea is "diving into your mind" is represented.

Time to go through the thread and read everyone's reactions!

tookhster

Can anyone help me with this part of the Chapter 4 trial? It's pissing me off.

The part where you have to explain how Nekomaru fell.

EDIT: Finally got it. This is by far the most confusing chapter in the series for me.

Just finished the game. Wow. Just wow. GOTY, period. NISA do your thing and keep on bringing this fantastic series over. Man I'm still trying to take this ending in. Off to the spoiler thread with me!

I just finished chapter 4 and it was easily the strongest chapter so far, well except for the trial part which was pretty awful. I'm excited for the how this will finish from here.

I think so too. The only chapter that didn't really do it for me was chapter 3. All other chapters just got better and better each time. The conclusion to the game is just so mindblowingly awesome.

Danj

Just finished Chapter 1 last night! Looking forward to playing some more tomorrow and maybe at the weekend as well.

MSMrRound

I might be a bit blunt...but I feel we should really tone down our "this is the best, this is the worst" chapter posts in the official OT though. Wouldn't wanna set expectations too high/low for people who have yet to reach that point.

If you guys are already done with the game though, feel free to hang out in the spoilers thread and delve into greater detail about what you liked/hated about certain chapters!

Viridian6

Playing on mean difficulty and can't get past case 2's rebuttal showdown.

I need to slash five lines. First four take three cuts, last one five. But I only have 15 cuts! Am I missing a crucial skill?

Playing on mean difficulty and can't get past case 2's rebuttal showdown.

I need to slash five lines. First four take three cuts, last one five. But I only have 15 cuts! Am I missing a crucial skill?

You should wait for more lines to appear at once before you start slashing.

Viridian6

You should wait for more lines to appear at once before you start slashing.

Doesn't work here (they show up one at a time), but I've noticed sometimes one line takes only two hits. Anyone know how it works? I thought it might depend on the size of the area you slash, but it doesn't seem to work that way...

Shahadan

Doesn't work here (they show up one at a time), but I've noticed sometimes one line takes only two hits. Anyone know how it works? I thought it might depend on the size of the area you slash, but it doesn't seem to work that way...

You need to slash in the right direction, maybe that's why you're failing?

Hugstable

Banned
Can't believe I'm asking for help but I seem to be stuck on a part in Chapter 3 right after the intermission.

Chapter 3 Spoilers!

Why did Hiyoko go to the music venue. They give you 7 options and alot of places to support arguments, but I just haven't been able to figure out the answer to this one.

I usually never ask for help, but I'm finally at a point where I've died 3 times and just can't figure out what the answer is.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Can't believe I'm asking for help but I seem to be stuck on a part in Chapter 3 right after the intermission.

Chapter 3 Spoilers!

Why did Hiyoko go to the music venue. They give you 7 options and alot of places to support arguments, but I just haven't been able to figure out the answer to this one.

I usually never ask for help, but I'm finally at a point where I've died 3 times and just can't figure out what the answer is.

I'll give you a hint:

Remember what Sonia said. I can go more in depth if necessary.

esterk

Chapter 4 is making up for how lackluster chapter 3 felt. Really awesome investigation, probably my favorite of the series.

Top Bottom