• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

esterk

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT THEY KILLED MY
WAIFU
FUCK THIS GAME

I DON'T CARE WHAT FUCKING SOB STORY THE CULPRIT GIVES ME THIS TIME I'M BUYING MERCH OF THEM AND FUCKING DESTROYING IT WHOEVER THE FUCK IT WINDS UP BEING ADFAJDSFJL;DSAFDSJ;KL

CHAPTER 3 SPOILER:
(IBUKI IN CASE YOU WERE WONDERING)
Yeah it's kind of a sad chapter =I

Vylash

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT THEY KILLED
MY WAIFU
FUCK THIS GAME

I DON'T CARE WHAT FUCKING SOB STORY THE CULPRIT GIVES ME THIS TIME I'M BUYING MERCH OF THEM AND FUCKING DESTROYING IT WHOEVER THE FUCK IT WINDS UP BEING ADFAJDSFJL;DSAFDSJ;KL

CHAPTER 3 SPOILER:
(IBUKI IN CASE YOU WERE WONDERING)

i feel your pain, fellow Ibuki warrior

Wichu

Finished Chapter 5 last night. Spoilers/speculation:

The game has strongly implied that one of the characters (other than Mechamaru) is, or rather was, a robot... I think.

And that was not who I expected to see outside my cottage. The password made me grin when I realised why it felt so familiar. I'm glad I'm not the only one going completely insane. Basically what the what is happening.

Also why are all my favourite characters dead all of a sudden :(

Thoraxes

Welp, just finished Chapter 03.

I pretty much had it figured out from the start with the hypothesis I made, but to see it happen like that...

And the best girl
(my waifu Mikan) who's also the killer and I just wanted her not to be bullied anymore...
I was legit shook when what I had a feeling it was turned out to be what I thought it was all along. And fuck. I DIDN'T WANT IT TO BE TRUE.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK

2KydDV1.gif

:(((((((((((((

I was clutching my chest that whole fucking last part. My pulse is still racing.

And those noise lines over
Chiaki's dialogue about her heart being crushed by this.

I can't even.

Fuck.

No game has made me feel like this in a while.

EDIT: LET'S GO CHAPTER 4 FUCK YEAH HERE WE GO!

Welp, just finished Chapter 03.

I pretty much had it figured out from the start with the hypothesis I made, but to see it happen like that...

And the best girl
(my waifu Mikan) who's also the killer and I just wanted her not to be bullied anymore...
I was legit shook when what I had a feeling it was turned out to be what I thought it was all along. And fuck. I DIDN'T WANT IT TO BE TRUE.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK

2KydDV1.gif

:(((((((((((((

I was clutching my chest that whole fucking last part. My pulse is still racing.

And those noise lines over
Chiaki's dialogue about her heart being crushed by this.

I can't even.

Fuck.

No game has made me feel like this in a while.

EDIT: LET'S GO CHAPTER 4 FUCK YEAH HERE WE GO!

Pretty much my reaction when evidence started pointing towards
her
:/

Marcel

I finished the game. Simply amazing, start to finish. Quite rewarding for fans of the series.

Too many pigs in your avatars, guys. Shameful.

Tizoc

Currently in the Ch. 3 trial.
I can already tell who the killer is but geez, you realize one of the killer's 'tricks' and Hajime doesn't...stuff like that irritate me.

Nyoro SF

Currently in the Ch. 3 trial.
I can already tell who the killer is but geez, you realize one of the killer's 'tricks' and Hajime doesn't...stuff like that irritate me.

One of the mistakes I made was (Ch.3 spoilers)
during pre-investigation I didn't go to the conference room at all. I forgot to go up the stairs. so I did all my investigation and stuff at the music venue and motel without knowing about the curtain, floor, etc. it was only until chiaki hauled my ass up there that it all came together. But still, I thought Ibuki's despair disease would've factored into the case somehow along with Nagito's suspicious behavior, which kept me from accusing Mikan.

And of course, the fact that the person on the stepladder in the broadcast didn't have Ibuki's hair shown... I thought Nagito was fucking with me

Roto13

As I posted earlier, I've been using a Google Translated version of this Japanese guide for Magical Girl Monomi. Those items are in the order that they appear in the equipment list. I'm missing two items, that supposedly appear on Normal. It's worth noting that I've gotten all of these on Easy or Normal so so far nothing has been restricted to Hard mode. Here's my totally slapdash list that I've been updating with the English names of things as I've collected them. The X just means I've collected it. English names are in caps. Google Translated names are not.

Wands

X WOODEN BRANCH Branches of a tree - Available at start
X STURDY BRANCH Sturdy branches - EASYS
X BAMBOO BROOM EASYS - besom
X SOUVENIR WOODEN SWORDWooden sword of souvenir - EASY1, EASYS
X CARPENTERS 2X4 Timbers of craftsmen - EASY1, EASY3, EASYS
X WASH LINE POLE Laundry pole - EASY1, EASY2, EASYS
X SACRED TREE BRANCH Branches of the sacred Shinto tree branch - EASYS
X BARBED WIRE BAT Barbed wire bat - EASYS
X WITCH'S BROOM Witch's broom - EASYS, NORMALS
X SUMMER CARNIVAL Summer Carnival - EASY3, EASY4, EASYS
X BARTHOLOMEW Bartholomew - EASYS, NORMAL5
X RAYXANBER'S ROD Wand of lightning Kikiba - EASY4, EASYS, NORMAL5, NORMALS
X TOPSY TURVY Kururungururun - EASY5, NORMAL5
X PINK BOMB'S WAND Wand Pinkubomu - EASY5, EASYS, NORMAL5
X MASTER ROD Cane Guru - NORMAL5, HARD4
X GOLD RUSH Gold Rush - NORMAL5, HARD4
X METEOR ROD Wand ?? - NORMAL4 NORMAL5, NORMALS
X VANQUISH Vanquish - HARD4
X DESPAIR ROD Wand of despair - HARD5
X SEVENTH SEA HOPE ROD Hope cane Seventh Sea - NORMAL5, HARD5, HARDS

Ribbons

X MONOMI'S RIBBON Available at start - ribbon of the Watch
X FRESHMAN RIBBON EASYS - ribbon of first-year students
X POLKA DOT RIBBON EASY1, EASYS - polka-dot ribbon
X RED AND WHITE HEADBAND Red and white headband - EASY2
X CAMELLIA HAIRPIN Hair ornaments of camellia - EASY1, EASY2, EASYS
X BUNNY EARS HEADBAND Bunny ears headband - EASY3, EASYS
X FEATHER SCRUNCHY EASY3, EASYS - Chou feather
X FRENCH TWIST RIBBON Evening winding ribbon - EASY4, EASYS
X BRIDE's VEIL Tsunokakushi bride - EASY3, EASYS
X GOLD BROCADE RIBBON Brocade ribbon - EASY5, EASYS, NORMAL5
X POP STAR Pop star - EASY4, EASY5
X MELANCHOLY RIBBONEASYS - ribbon of melancholy
X 2 TAX GOLD RIBBON Two tuck ct Gold - EASY5, EASYS, NORMAL5
X MAGICAL RIBBON EASY5, EASYS - ribbon of magic
X BPM BPM - HARD3
X SILVER RABBIT'S RIBBON NORMAL5, NORMALS - ribbon Ginusagi
X SWALLOWTAIL Swallowtail - NORMAL4 NORMAL5, NORMALS
X MERCURIUS Mercury - NORMAL5
X DESPAIR RIBBON NORMAL5 - ribbon of despair
X AUTUMNAL HOPE RIBBON Hope hairdresser Autumn - NORMAL5, HARDS

Diapers

X MONOMI'S DIAPER Available at start - diapers of the Watch
X CRAWLEY DIAPER Hola diapers - EASYS
X AQUATIC DIAPER Wading pants - EASYS
X COPYRIGHTED DIAPER EASYS - diapers copyright mono
X WOOL PANTS EASY4, S - wool pants
X HOLY DIAPER Twelve-layered ceremonial kimono - EASY2, EASY3, EASYS
X PREMIUM DIAPER Premium diapers - EASY3, EASYS, NORMAL1
X OLD MAN'S GRASS SKIRT Waist Mino father - EASY3, EASYS
X STEALTH SCANTIESStealth Chianti - EASY4, EASYS
X NORMAL UNDIES Pants usually - EASYS, NORMAL5
X CATTLE TRUNKS Cattle Trunks - EASY4, EASY5, NORMAL5
X BRIEFS OF RESOLUTION EASY4, EASYS - briefs prepared
X ANTE PANTIES Ante Drawers - EASYS
X ALL OR NOTHING Kenkon'itteki - EASYS, NORMAL5, NORMALS
X RULER'S UNDERWEAR NORMAL5, NORMALS - pants ruler
X BAYONET BIKINI Bayonet bikini - NORMALS, HARD3
X ORTHODOX WHITE Orthodox White - NORMAL5
X MYSTERY CRUISE Mystery ~I cycle ©'s - NORMALS
X DESPAIR DIAPER Diapers of despair 0 - HARD4, HARD5
X HOPE CLOTH BEAM 1000 Hope Nunomaki Thousand - NORMAL5, HARDS

As you can see, I'm missing whatever is between Gold Rush and Vanquish, as well as Swallowtail. I've played those levels on normal 4 or 5 times each. Going to give Hard a try just to see what happens.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So from what I've heard, the grass skirt is one I should try to obtain first?

Gonna read through IF & then I guess Island Mode......hopefully it won't feel as tedious as School Mode....

Roto13

I just got the missing rod. Meteor Rod, on Normal stage 4, which is not listed in the guide. (There's a disclaimer there that says the guide isn't necessarily 100% complete when it comes to where items can be found.)
So from what I've heard, the grass skirt is one I should try to obtain first?

Gonna read through IF & then I guess Island Mode......hopefully it won't feel as tedious as School Mode....

Island mode is basically identical to school mode. :p

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So I'm gonna have to do 5 or 6 runs of it, basically.....

*siiiiggghhhhh* Guess I'll use the first two runs to get the remaining hope fragments from people while leveling them up.

Roto13

Found the Swallotail in Normal stage 4. So there's platinum.

I've updated that (still incomplete) guide, but it's still a mess so if someone wants to clean it up, they can go for it. Guess I'm done. :p

Thanks Roto, I'll do the Monomi thing after Island mode.

BTW how do you trigger the final non stop debate thing with characters in Island Mode once you have full affection? I tried to take em for 1 last trip but it just repeated the stuff. Or does it happen on day 50?

Roto13

You mean that "SHot Through The Heart" thing? That just happens randomly. It's not actually important and it won't necessarily happen at all.

You mean that "SHot Through The Heart" thing? That just happens randomly. It's not actually important and it won't necessarily happen at all.
Yeah I get it now. I thought it was the ending.

2x Island mode done. 2 more needed. It's pretty mindless once you get the tools, just gon do something else while grinding it on the side. Not that bad. Monomi item drops are what I'm afraid of.

aljoriz

Neo Member
It the game worth buying? I have playing the first one and it was the only game I have platinumed on my vita aside from The Walking Dead.

Does the sequel make use of the save data from the first Danganronpa?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
No, nothing transfers over & there's nothing for having the save data from the first game.

Reading IF right now. Nice to see a bookmark feature.

LX_Theo

Banned
It the game worth buying? I have playing the first one and it was the only game I have platinumed on my vita aside from The Walking Dead.

Does the sequel make use of the save data from the first Danganronpa?

No transfers (no need for that in the first place), but if you enjoyed the first it is definitely worth buying.

Tizoc

Having just finished ch. 3 I realized
A large number of girls were killed o_O They had such delicious bodies...
On the one hand though
Mechamura is hilariously awesome

Isotope

This Chapter 3 trial

MIKAN, WHY. YOU WERE MY FAVORITE. WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS. ;__;

Edit: Finished the Chapter.

Well I feel differently about Mikan. Goddamn that was crazy.

Imouto

Banned
Thought up until chapter 6

I thought Byakuya becomes likable after what he went through. Then off he went.

Mahiru looked like a kind of nice girl. Swiftly gone.

Ibuki is noisy, but I like this energetic, and looks like Hiyoko has tried to change herself, although I don't hate her mouth. Doesn't last long.

Nekomaru came back to us, my man. Just to go again.

Chiaki, who has been through with me since the beginning, my last beacon of light in this world full of despair. And darkness came taking away what was my last hope.

Why am I still playing this game? All it does is giving me despair.

VD2tBu8.jpg

god, i love the title song. i've been sitting here for like 15 - 20 minutes browsing gaf, headphones in, just listening.

just finished chapter 4 and
damn this game for using information from waaaaaaaaaaay the fuck near the beginningish of the chapter. i mean, why would i feel the need to remember who had what bedroom in the funhouse? something that happened like 13 hours ago. lol.

and also (chapter 3 and hope fragment conversation spoilers):
i am really sad ibuki died. i was hoping for her to escape with hajime together (since she kept telling him "i think i might be falling in love with you." :( oh well, there's still chiaki and miss sonia

Sorry guys , just started the game , i'm at chapter 1 first free time.

How does the pet works ? i've plat the First game ( and played school time at lest 7 times in the first game ) yet i'm unsure of how this thing work.
I was at a point where i didn't clean up in time and the pet died. Should i really focus on this ?
Can i leave this for NG++++++ when i'll have many presents to make the hope metter go up ?Is there anything i can do to know when i'm close to critical mass to prevent the pet from dying unless to check the pet page every 10 mins ?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Basically, every step you take will level the pet up. Depending on the hope level, it'll turn into something else. You'll need to check it every so often to clean up the mess it made to keep its Despair level down. It helps to raise them since raising two different kinds will give you skills, plus you'll get 100 to 300 coins each time they're fully leveled up.

You don't need to care about the pet until after you clear the story if you don't want to really. And even then it's pretty much just for trophies.

Imouto

Banned
Now that I half way through chapter 6...

Everything in chapter 3 suddenly makes sense. From the disease to the motive and the memory.

5%2831%29.png

These fuckin Monomi minigame item drops.

Island mode trophies were ass but at least you have a goal you know how long it takes to reach. It's just a grind that you can do with one hand and not paying much attention to.

Monomi trophies are just pure luck. At least I have almost everything now but there are 2 items that I'm missing and they just plain refuse to drop. Complaining at GAF is the only way I can think of to increase the chances.

edit: ah, got 1. Works every time.

ZeroX03

Banned
So my copy finally arrived. But I've been spoiled so hard on the game I'm pretty apathetic toward playing it (and I'm far behind most of GAF) so I just played Pokemon instead. Spoilers drove me to true despair. T.T

LX_Theo

Banned
So my copy finally arrived. But I've been spoiled so hard on the game I'm pretty apathetic toward playing it (and I'm far behind most of GAF) so I just played Pokemon instead. Spoilers drove me to true despair. T.T

Well... How spoiled are you exactly on it? Like what were you spoiled on?

So can someone explain how to play the sword cut thingy minigame in the trials?
The game doesnt make any sense in the tutorial and I can never get it right. It says to cut in the direction the shapes of words. What the fuck does that even mean!
Then sometimes i cut and it works other times it doesnt and the other takes adavantage, it doesnt make any sense. English is not my native language so that why maybe I dont understand the tutorial well.

The game doesnt make any sense in the tutorial and I can never get it right. It says to cut in the direction the shapes of words. What the fuck does that even mean!
Then sometimes i cut and it works other times it doesnt and the other takes adavantage, it doesnt make any sense. English is not my native language so that why maybe I dont understand the tutorial well.

If the text is horizontal you must cut vertically ect (with d-pad/screen swipe). Usually they take multiple hits to break. Sometimes if you run low on your swipes you should wait till there is more text on screen so you can take out multiple lines at once.

Then you just use correct statement when you can just like in non stop debate. If you see a weak spot you cannot break let it pass and don't cut it with regular attack.

MSMrRound

First round is basically cutting away all the words that they are throwing at you. Every sentence you cut, the more you push the "mood" to your advantage. Should you hit "Exceed expectations" (indicated by a blue line towards the left), you will automatically "advance" to the next stage. If you are not quite exceeding but close to, game might ask you to engage in a x button-mashing thing against the opponent. Win that, and you advance as well.

Now that you are at the second stage, look out for "Weak Spots", similar to regular weak spots you shoot your truth bullets at, DO NOT SWIPE THIS. These are only tackled with Truth Blades (this mini-game's version of truth bullet). Select correct truth blade which you think matches with the correct weak spot, and press TRIANGLE to fire it off. Should you land it on the correct spot, you will pass the mini-game.

Note of warning: For the second stage, if you cut too much of the wrong weakpoint, your opponent might get to push the mood back to their advantage, forcing you to back off and having to do the first stage again.

For this minigame, you have a set of "sharpness" indicated by bottom right. This shows how many times you can swipe the normal white lines to change the mood to your advantage.

It is recommended to just use your left stick to cut through the normal words, as using touchscreen to swipe can be troublesome at times.

If the text is horizontal you must cut vertically ect (with d-pad/screen swipe). Usually they take multiple hits to break. Sometimes if you run low on your swipes you should wait till there is more text on screen so you can take out multiple lines at once.

Then you just use correct statement when you can just like in non stop debate. If you see a weak spot you cannot break let it pass and don't cut it with regular attack.

So in the first round its always horizontal texts so I need to cut vertically no? And when the text turns red that means i need to cut again? I still sont understand why the other character was taking advantage every time i swiped ( before the correct statement thing appears)

First round is basically cutting away all the words that they are throwing at you. Every sentence you cut, the more you push the "mood" to your advantage. Should you hit "Exceed expectations" (indicated by a blue line towards the left), you will automatically "advance" to the next stage. If you are not quite exceeding but close to, game might ask you to engage in a x button-mashing thing against the opponent. Win that, and you advance as well.

Now that you are at the second stage, look out for "Weak Spots", similar to regular weak spots you shoot your truth bullets at, DO NOT SWIPE THIS. These are only tackled with Truth Blades (this mini-game's version of truth bullet). Select correct truth blade which you think matches with the correct weak spot, and press TRIANGLE to fire it off. Should you land it on the correct spot, you will pass the mini-game.

Note of warning: For the second stage, if you cut too much of the wrong weakpoint, your opponent might get to push the mood back to their advantage, forcing you to back off and having to do the first stage again.

For this minigame, you have a set of "sharpness" indicated by bottom right. This shows how many times you can swipe the normal white lines to change the mood to your advantage.

It is recommended to just use your left stick to cut through the normal words, as using touchscreen to swipe can be troublesome at times.
So after the advance statement you dont have to swipe at all? That explains why i was failing everytime. The game seriously needs to explain you dont need to cut anything on that part, i dont even understand why they will even let you cut there.

LX_Theo

Banned
So in the first round its always horizontal texts so I need to cut vertically no? And when the text turns red that means i need to cut again? I still sont understand why the other character was taking advantage every time i swiped ( before the correct statement thing appears)

Direction doesn't matter. If you cut it, you lower the health of it (there should be a health bar showing up and lowering each time you damage it). Red text should mean low heath statements. The only reason you need specific directions is if you want to get multiple statements in one cut. Some later instances of it (at least on mean) don't give you enough cuts to advance unless you use them on multiple statements.

MSMrRound

Doesn't matter if the words are red. It means you need one more swipe to completely break them to pieces. That's your main aim for round 1. Break all the words.

Break enough words, you will ADVANCE to the next round.

Second round, select the proper TRUTH BLADE, look out for correct weak spot, and press Triangle to fire it and CUT THROUGH your opponent's words.

Ok, now a understant it. Got it right, thanks guys. Seems that I thought the red words were failures so i didnt continue cuttin and that why the other character was winning before I could cut the false statement.

The cutting minigame is really shitty. The added mini games are all pretty bad honestly.

Although the trials are definitely better in terms of twists, story and revelations compared to Dr1, the minigames unnecessarily drag them down quite a bit.

Aside from that, the characters are way better than in the first game. Better art design and less annoying characters. I just hate Byakuya and the kimono bitch while the rest is pretty okay or interesting.

Off to chapter 3!

Top Bottom