• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

Phew, I only need to farm Monomi's minigame for all the equipment and I'm done for the platinum!

I really hope AE won't have DLC because I really want to get it in Japanese <3 And I 'd like an update on 3's development, Spike Chunsoft!

cross posting from the custom cover art thread.

made some matching covers for both danganronpa games.

danganronpa%201.jpg

danganronpa%202-1.jpg

and a chapter 3 spoilery one for goodbye despair.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/191263574/cover/PS%20Vita/danganronpa%202-2.jpg

MSMrRound

^might be good if you label it as Chapter 3 spoilers just in case some curious guy decides to click on it thinking it's a spoiler from earlier chapters.

Tizoc

So...
Ch. 5
Dat Ultimate Luck, though really the one to benefit the most from this is Monokuma

Ch. 6
Wait her body was crushed, how the heck would you even be able to have sex with a body that's....
Non the less, TAKE THAT JUNKO YOU DUMB BITCH! SUPER SAIYAN HAJIME!

Currently in the Post Ch. 6 stuff, will finish it up later tonight.

Imouto

Banned
Uhhhm so was there an explanation missing during the chapter 3 trial?

Why did Mikan arrange the murder like this? And what's with the missing 3rd 'disassembled' victim? Does this get resolved or is it a plot hole?

I hope this last bit is not a spoiler for chapter 4. I mean...it would be a bit too obvious if Nekumaru was the victim because someone disassembles and kills him.
Just finish the game.

Ch. 6
Wait her body was crushed, how the heck would you even be able to have sex with a body that's....
Non the less, TAKE THAT JUNKO YOU DUMB BITCH! SUPER SAIYAN HAJIME!

i was thinking about that earlier.
if her body was crushed, how does nagito have her arm?

^might be good if you label it as Chapter 3 spoilers just in case some curious guy decides to click on it thinking it's a spoiler from earlier chapters.

thanks, didn't even think about putting what chapter it would've been a spoiler too.

Tizoc

I kinda found it funny how in the final trials
enlarging the bullet is like enlarging a man-thing :p
Still a kickass conclusion though

Tizoc

What're your fav. character catchphrases?
Mine would be:
Chikai's 'Hey, hey!'
Fuyuhiko's 'Damn right!'
Soda's screaming
Nagito's
creepy laugh
TANAKA'S "THE TANAKA EMPIRE!"

MSMrRound

How the duck do you play this fixing blade minigame

I don't get it at all

Think of it as two rounds.

First round, cut away all the words using swipe/Vita stick

Second round, contradictions (weak spots) start to appear. Don't cut these. Make sure you have the correct Truth Blade (this minigame's Truth Bullets), and press Triangle to cut the weak spot.

If you use it on the correct weak spot, you will pass this game.

carlsojo

Ch. 6

Welllllll...
it was also hit by a thousand baseballs, burned, turned into butter, etc... maybe that whole final execution of Junko was faked? I have no idea.

nynt9

Uhhhm so was there an explanation missing during the chapter 3 trial?

Why did Mikan arrange the murder like this? And what's with the missing 3rd 'disassembled' victim? Does this get resolved or is it a plot hole?

She was only going to kill Ibuki but Hiyoko walked in on it so she half-assedly decided to mimic the movie killings to confuse people about the order of the crimes. She didn't have time to do it right though. Also she didn't have a third victim since it was never her intention to mimic the movies to begin with. She just rolled with the movie theme only after she had to kill Hiyoko.

The whole point of that trial was that she was trying to create the perfect alibi for herself. She killed them during the evening more or less at the same time, but she staged it so that it looked like they were killed in the movie order in the morning so that she would have an alibi.

Originally she was probably only going to have it look like Ibuki hung herself, she just had to adapt her plan when Hiyoko walked in on it.

ZeroX03

Banned
I messed up the spoiler tag in my post but I immediately edited it after realizing it posted incorrectly :/

Preview post exists for a reason... Thx for revealing all that...

Fuck this game. Getting spoiled left and right. Not worth the time.

Tizoc

Welllllll...
it was also hit by a thousand baseballs, burned, turned into butter, etc... maybe that whole final execution of Junko was faked? I have no idea.

Similar thoughts too
She died, but not by the methods we've seen...which makes me hope the other Blackends didn't die like that and it was just a 'show'/threatric...

Man, they made all the minigames even more annoying this time around

Eh I liked Logic Dive and the PTA was OK IMO.

Preview post exists for a reason... Thx for revealing all that...

Fuck this game. Getting spoiled left and right. Not worth the time.

Not saying it's your fault the spoilers were accidentally revealed, but I personally stay far away as possible from any topics relating to games I'm playing where I don't want to get spoiled, accidentally or not.

I can understand wanting to talk to people about your progress etc, but it's risky, I find. You should play the heck out of the game then come back here to discuss later when you've beat it. Lessons learned for the future, perhaps?

ZeroX03

Banned
Not saying it's your fault the spoilers were accidentally revealed, but I personally stay far away as possible from any topics relating to games I'm playing where I don't want to get spoiled, accidentally or not.

I can understand wanting to talk to people about your progress etc, but it's risky, I find. You should play the heck out of the game then come back here to discuss later when you've beat it. Lessons learned for the future, perhaps?

This post is just making me angrier.

Tizoc

I'd say I avoided this thread and only came in to make my posts and avoid reading any other posts for fear of spoilers. Now that I've beaten the game I can view the thread with no worries heh.

I'd say I avoided this thread and only came in to make my posts and avoid reading any other posts for fear of spoilers. Now that I've beaten the game I can view the thread with no worries heh.

Yep. I didn't once step foot into this thread until I beat the game myself. Now I have, I can browse without fear of any accidental spoilers.

Viridian6

How the duck do you play this fixing blade minigame

I don't get it at all

Also, slash twice in one direction and then slash in another direction to do extra damage (with the third strike). Have to use this if you play on mean (dunno about other difficulties).

Using the d-pad is much easier than the touchscreen.

Beast780

Question, I really want to play the Daganronpa games because you guys hype the crap out of them. I love Japanese games, and I love my Vita. However, I hate visual novel games because there's not much gameplay, and I heard Daganronpa is a visual novel. I also hear there's a bit of the Ace Attorney games in there and I love those games. Should I still try them?

Lusankya

Question, I really want to play the Daganronpa games because you guys hype the crap out of them. I love Japanese games, and I love my Vita. However, I hate visual novel games because there's not much gameplay, and I heard Daganronpa is a visual novel. I also hear there's a bit of the Ace Attorney games in there and I love those games. Should I still try them?

If you love AA you will love DR as well. Both series kinda have the same gameplay-

Tizoc

What Lusankya wrote.

You missed out on DR1 being on sale on US (and EU PSN), but you might be able to find a retail copy for a decent price. =)

Don't sleep out on one of the Vita's BEST games. DR2 is easily among my Top 10 GotY contenders.

I have been playing this game on and off for the past week, and I'm really loving it. I loved the first game as well, though a Google search spoiled a lot of it for me...which is why for DR2 I went into it totally blind. I just finished Chapter 3 and I have made some deductions regarding the game' s setting and motivations behind the Killing Game. I might be totally off-base but this is what I think...spoilers for everything until the beginning of chapter 4, and theories and speculation about the game world...
The island seems to be a VR simulation. It doesn't match the real Jabberwock Island and there's a lot of elements that feel out of place:

Usami claims to have built the library for students' benefit.

The Monobeasts are almost too ridiculous to be real. If that wasn't enough, Nekomaru being transformed into a robot seems too incongruous. The world of Danganronpa is bizarre, but not quite that 'out there.'

The way Monokuma seems to be able to change the world on a whim - like creating and removing the Despair Disease. Almost like a programmer changing elements of a program.

The third island is the biggest clue, as it seems to be half-built, with random locations that have no real place in a tropical resort. The old ruins that resemble the high school are the other big clue.

This might mean the dead characters aren't actually dead..? I hope so.

Speaking of which, it's interesting how Nagito is a dark double of Naegi, from looks to talent, down to the name.

After chapter 3, I'm convinced that the students in this game are actually bad guys. Milan makes it pretty clear that she's evil because she got her memories back. I suspect whoever put them in the VR sim erased their memories of Hope's Peak so that they would become friends and embrace a positive, optimistic life instead of repeating old mistakes and becoming 'evil' like the other people outside Hope's Peak during the Tragedy.

I have no idea what Hajime's talent is, but after the dream he has in chapter 3, I'm beginning to suspect he doesn't have one and his parents bribed his way into the school.

Am I way off-base?

PK Gaming

Mine would be:
Chikai's 'Hey, hey!'
Fuyuhiko's 'Damn right!'
Soda's screaming
Nagito's
creepy laugh

Monokuma: THRILLS, CHILLS, KILLS
Monomi: Yippie-kai-yay!
TeruTeru: I can't stop this drooooling
Tanaka: (all of them)
Ibuki: (all of them)
Mahiru: Jeeeeeez
Hiyoko: Squish, Squiiiiish
Chiaki: Very difficult...
Nidai: SHIT

Those are just the ones off that I remember offhand, there's a bunch of great ones. Overall, the voice clips this time around are really great.

hohoXD123

I have been playing this game on and off for the past week, and I'm really loving it. I loved the first game as well, though a Google search spoiled a lot of it for me...which is why for DR2 I went into it totally blind. I just finished Chapter 3 and I have made some deductions regarding the game' s setting and motivations behind the Killing Game. I might be totally off-base but this is what I think...spoilers for everything until the beginning of chapter 4, and theories and speculation about the game world...
The island seems to be a VR simulation. It doesn't match the real Jabberwock Island and there's a lot of elements that feel out of place:

Usami claims to have built the library for students' benefit.

The Monobeasts are almost too ridiculous to be real. If that wasn't enough, Nekomaru being transformed into a robot seems too incongruous. The world of Danganronpa is bizarre, but not quite that 'out there.'

The way Monokuma seems to be able to change the world on a whim - like creating and removing the Despair Disease. Almost like a programmer changing elements of a program.

The third island is the biggest clue, as it seems to be half-built, with random locations that have no real place in a tropical resort. The old ruins that resemble the high school are the other big clue.

This might mean the dead characters aren't actually dead..? I hope so.

Speaking of which, it's interesting how Nagito is a dark double of Naegi, from looks to talent, down to the name.

After chapter 3, I'm convinced that the students in this game are actually bad guys. Milan makes it pretty clear that she's evil because she got her memories back. I suspect whoever put them in the VR sim erased their memories of Hope's Peak so that they would become friends and embrace a positive, optimistic life instead of repeating old mistakes and becoming 'evil' like the other people outside Hope's Peak during the Tragedy.

I have no idea what Hajime's talent is, but after the dream he has in chapter 3, I'm beginning to suspect he doesn't have one and his parents bribed his way into the school.

Am I way off-base?

Wow. You'll find out in a couple of chapters I guess.

fek

Finished chapter 5 yesterday and it was awesome, probably my favorite in the series so far. Wish I could have kept playing, as soon as I get home today I will play until I finish it.

Labrys

Mine would be:
Chikai's 'Hey, hey!'
Fuyuhiko's 'Damn right!'
Soda's screaming
Nagito's
creepy laugh

Teruteru's "I'm simply droooooling.", for sure. I also like Fuyuhiko's "Well!" because it sounds like he's about to engage in polite conversation

Proper Propaganda.

Are you sure you're not Monokuma?

th

Those are pretty nice! Wouldn't it make more sense though, to have the second one with Usami?

I thought of it but since they are based on the Hope's Peak Academy files, which were black I used Monokuma for both.

Maybe I'll make a white version of it and use Usami.

Also, something I was thinking, [end game spoilers]
since Chiaki and Usami were both executed and then came back, couldn't the others come back like that too? Or, if when they did the reset, since it put back their normal, Ultimate Dispair personalities, why didn't it put back the others? Was it the fact they got deleted?

Where can a third entry go from here? Going after the headmaster? an interquel?

Lastly, what are some good VN's to play? I just recently played VLR, and both Danganronpas and am really in a VN mood. I just bought Hotel Dusk, I heard that was and was good or did I hear wrong. Don't really like AA because it makes me feel dumb.

th

I thought of it but since they are based on the Hope's Peak Academy files, which were black I used Monokuma for both.

Maybe I'll make a white version of it and use Usami.

Also, something I was thinking, [end game spoilers]
since Chiaki and Usami were both executed and then came back, couldn't the others come back like that too? Or, if when they did the reset, since it put back their normal, Ultimate Dispair personalities, why didn't it put back the others? Was it the fact they got deleted?

Where can a third entry go from here? Going after the headmaster? an interquel?

Lastly, what are some good VN's to play? I just recently played VLR, and both Danganronpas and am really in a VN mood. I just bought Hotel Dusk, I heard that was and was good or did I hear wrong. Don't really like AA because it makes me feel dumb.
Corpse Party (VN esque at least)? If you can't get enough of kids getting trapped and killed.

Tho that is one of those games that had a sale some time ago and dunno how much it is nowdays on PSN.

I can't decide if my favourite VN thus far is DR1, DR2 or Umineko. Umi is terribly paced while DR is one of the better paced VNs I have played. But I kinda wish there was a lil more to the characters in DR and some more clever cases. I could have dealt with longer Daily Life segments with just the characters interracting and more meat to the free time events. But that is also really easy to overdo.

DR1 vs DR2 is also really hard to decide which is better. It feels like I like both of them equally.

I'm excited to finally dive into AA series when the trilogy releases on 3DS.

Tizoc

...but AA games have great humor!

There's Ghost Trick on NDS or iOS.

There's Steins;Gate via JAST USA.

That's it off the top of my head atm.

Feep

Banned
Chapter 4 was pretty great!

The "Octagon" thing was a little bizarre, considering it's natural to assume the four-sided floors would be the same LENGTH at the hexagonal one, creating two shallow triangles...

Still cool though. And Nagito is going craaaaayyyyyyyyy

Looking forward to Chapter 5, because people in this thread have constantly been like ZOMXOMOZMOMwMOMOGMOMG CHAPTER 5

Isotope

So did you get to the surprise?

I don't even know where to begin.

EVERYTHING'S FALLING APART.

I'M SEEING DEAD CLASSMATES.

GAME CLEAR? ARE WE IN A GAME.

And on a sadder note, the cottages got me. ;__;

I'm just about to start Chapter 6. I'm scared.

Welp. Nevermind. Chapter 0 it is then.

Edit:
IS THAT JUNKO'S HAND NAGITO HAS. WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON.

Top Bottom