• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

antibolo

Banned
Edit: Also, seriously, murderers, STOP TRYING TO CONCOCT RIDICULOUS PLANS BY LEAVING ALL THESE GODDAMN CLUES AT THE SCENE. Slit someone's throat at night and get the fuck out of there. Jesus. This isn't that hard, people.

But the killers have to make sure that the others vote for somebody else. Creating situations where you can frame somebody else is better than just doing a straight murder and then blindly hope that you didn't leave any traces of your actions behind.

Zareka

So I finally got my hands on this game after a battle with Game and their crappy in store preorder system, just finished chapter 1.

Case 1 spoilers for Danganronpa 1 & 2
They really bumped up the difficulty in this one huh. DR1 literally gives you name of the killer in writing whereas DR2 asks you to spot a couple pixels difference on a character portrait.

Anyway, this game isn't doing much for my disliking of DR1, but this time I guess it's purely my own problem. Admittedly I didn't have it entirely figured out from the get go again, but I'd pretty much worked out how the murder happened during the investigation stage, just not who. This made the trial (which felt at least 3 times as long as any case did in DR1 btw) more of a nuisance than fun. There's no tension in it.

Hoping it gets better. So far, it's better than DR1. Cases seem better off the bat, actual gameplay is improved and I don't want to smash every characters skull in (there are actually a few I like!). FFX HD and Hyrule Warriors are definitely looking more enticing than it after Ch. 1, though.

and whelp apparently I just got inadvertently spoilered till chapter 4 lol

what are the trip tickets for in island mode. ran out of items to collect hope fragments so it's either trip tickets or spend time alone. is there a real use for the trip tickets?

dani_dc

Chapter 4

I hope Gundham dies soon, I can't take his gimmick any longer, I just skip over all his text whenever he appears.

what are the trip tickets for in island mode. ran out of items to collect hope fragments so it's either trip tickets or spend time alone. is there a real use for the trip tickets?

You use tickets to get heart points to get a character ending, which you need for a trophy.

This guide pretty much covers everything, also the best presents for every character which are usually pretty cost effective for the hope fragment stuff.
http://diehardgamefan.com/2014/09/08/walkthroughfaq-dangan-ronpa-2-goodbye-despair/

I wouldn't bother with the ticket stuff until your second run Island mode as the first run is just to level up your characters.

Just a quick question for anyone that has finished the game, roughly how long does
the chapter 6 trial start point until the end of the game
take? I want to sit down and do it in 1 stint, but I'm not sure if I'll have enough time tonight.

Busaiku

So I'm on Chapter 4, and I just found out you can buy skills with individual Hope Fragments...
I thought I had to max out everyone's social links to get a skill...

Chapter 3

Mikan got her memory back because of the despair disease? What?
And that made her kill people for what reason?
If she wanted to go to her beloved she could had killed herself, what was her motivation to kill others to exit the island again?

Also why go to the trouble of creating a video feed?
No one would had figure out it was Milkn since no one had an actual aliby if not for her convulted plan to create false evidence.

What a cluster fuck of a case.

The game is also quickly running out of characters I care about.

I believe that
she made the video feed to:
-confuse the order of the events , create an alibi for herself and hajime since most of it was based on his testimony..for something that was decided on a WHIM ( since someone went on the crime scene early ) it was alright.

but then again i'm still on chapter 4 so ...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So I'm on Chapter 4, and I just found out you can buy skills with individual Hope Fragments...
It's both. You still earn certain skills by maxing out relationships, but you can now buy some with the fragments that you earn. You can earn one skill each by raising the
Usami
&
Monokuma
pets.

MSMrRound

I have a confession to make.

I played through the entire story without knowing I could purchase skills ;_;

Maybe I shouldn't skip text next time...

Feep

Banned
But the killers have to make sure that the others vote for somebody else. Creating situations where you can frame somebody else is better than just doing a straight murder and then blindly hope that you didn't leave any traces of your actions behind.
Slitting someone's throat at night and leaving is pretty hard to mess up.

Anyway, beat Chapter 5, HOO BOY

Shit is getting super weird. I'M BACK AT HOPE'S PEAK?!

RetroMG

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I didn't realize this either. Where do you do it?

EDIT: Never mind, I just found it. It's under Monomi's entry in the report card.

Also, Chapter 4:
Did Nagito just make a reference to Danganronpa Zero? Talking about the novel where the girl turns out to be the killer?

dani_dc

The place to buy them wasn't exactly intuitive either, took me awhile to find out where to buy them. Easy to miss.

Kalor

So my copy of the game arrived today and so far it feels like a huge step up from the first game in terms of scale and characters. I've been spoiled on a few things unfortunately but to my knowledge they aren't big spoilers in the grand scheme of things.

Early Chapter 1 & DR1:
I saved the game after Monokuma's comedy show and I wasn't expecting that. Whenever they revealed the erased memories, the jab at the end of the first game made me laugh and being able to use the laugh track when Monokuma said that helped.

Busaiku

Whenever someone's ability comes into play, they're usually involved in the killing.
So that means Kazuichi probably did this. I figured he'd take down Robomaru, for this reason.
Well, let's see how it goes...

dani_dc

Chapter 4

Is it just me or is Monokuma a lot more forceful with the motivates this time around?

The disease and now sticking them inside a house with no food are basically forcing the characters to kill one another instead of giving them a push as he did on the first game or in Chapter 2.

Chapter 4 spoilers

Soo everybody comments on Byakuya, but NOBODY says ANYTHING on how Nagito Komaeda creepily looks like Makoto Naegi and how their names look like each other ?

I'm sure it will be answered later, but oh well.

Wichu

Chapter 4 spoilers

Soo everybody comments on Byakuya, but NOBODY says ANYTHING on how Nagito Komaeda creepily looks like Makoto Naegi and how their names look like each other ?

I'm sure it will be answered later, but oh well.

Nagito doesn't look anything like Makoto, especially after he stops acting all nice. The only similarities are the name, which could be dismissed as a coincidence, and their voices (including phrases they use), which they can't get from a photo. I can understand why nobody would make the connection.

FLD

I've been mostly avoiding this thread for fear of accidental spoilers but I finished Chapter 5 last night and holy shit, what the absolute fuck was that?! I wanted to keep playing so badly but I had to head to bed since I had class early this morning.

I've been stuck at school all day. Only one more hour before I can head home and start Chapter 6. UUUGGGHHH!

I didn't skip text and i only knew i could get skills because i was looking for it since it made sense having played the first game. You get one line about it that i remember during one trial tutorial.

And even after having purchased some skills in chapter 1 i guess ? i didn't remember where i got them and it was only when i was in the chapter 3 trial that i remembered where to get them.

It's just not obvious and VERY EASY to miss.

was on a site that had some danganronpa trivia facts on it and read something that i had never relaized.

(Chapter 6 spoilers.)

chiaki's name come from chihiro fujisaki because she was made with his software.

also (DR1 spoiler)
i never put two and two together and realized the very first death in the first danganronpa was the execution of kirigiri's dad

also, is there a set time DR2 takes place in relation to the first game?

and is there a use to byakuya's hope fragment skill?

I didn't skip text and i only knew i could get skills because i was looking for it since it made sense having played the first game. You get one line about it that i remember during one trial tutorial.

And even after having purchased some skills in chapter 1 i guess ? i didn't remember where i got them and it was only when i was in the chapter 3 trial that i remembered where to get them.

It's just not obvious and VERY EASY to miss.
There's an option to "set skills" before every trail. I would think you'd have to realize it eventually.

Phii

Banned
Finished Chapter 5 trail:
If Nagito isn't the killer by placing poision in one of the fire bombs, then why is Gundham the killer from chapter 4?

In chapter 4, Nekomaru falls to his death. The killer is the one behind the setup.
In chapter 5, Nagito dies by poision. The killer is not the one behind the setup.

Please forgive me if I'm not making sense, I may have forgot some details from chapter 4

EDIT:

That makes sense, thank you both!

so, im almost done, but I didnt like nearly as many characters in this one as I did in the first, and the ones I did like keep getting killed off...

Major Spoilers for DR1 and 2
The fact that kyouko survived probably made my enjoyment of DR1 better in the end. Ibuki's death and the Chiaki twist and death have seriously tainted my enjoyment of this game...mainly the twist

Chapter 2 major spoilers
This chapter though...man. I legit fucking cried. I figured out the killer before the murder even happened and I thought, well I'm not going to care, but then after the trial...Fuyuhiko man...as the text is just swapping between him and monokuma prepping the punishment. This was incredibly well done and just shook me. Derek Stephen Prince deserves a fucking medal for this scene.

MSMrRound

was on a site that had some danganronpa trivia facts on it and read something that i had never relaized.

If you have finished the game, the spoiler thread would be considered a better place to be discussing these kind of stuff.

Monokuma defines the killer as the one that utilized the Killing Weapon.

If you think about Chapter 4
it isn't hard to see who was the one to stumble across the so-called "weapon" first and used it to their advantage.

Also for Chapter 5
It was all an elaborate plan to set someone up with the killing weapon, which they ultimately used

Nyoro SF

Monokuma defines the killer as the one that utilized the Killing Weapon.

If you think about Chapter 4
it isn't hard to see who was the one to stumble across the so-called "weapon" first and used it to his advantage.

Really?
Can you point out where it was obvious? Up to that point I couldn't think of anyone who had used it

PK Gaming

If Nagito isn't the killer by placing poision in one of the fire bombs, then why is Gundham the killer from chapter 4?

In chapter 4, Nekomaru falls to his death. The killer is the one behind the setup.
In chapter 5, Nagito dies by poision. The killer is not the one behind the setup.

Please forgive me if I'm not making sense, I may have forgot some details from chapter 4

Chapter 5 spoilers

Nekomaru's death can be traced back to Gundam and no one else. Gundam set it up so that he would die, therefore he's the killer.

In Chapter 5, Nagito may have set it up so that the traitor would kill him, but it was Chiaki throwing the bottle that ultimately killed him. Nagito wouldn't have died if she hadn't thrown it. Ergo, she is his killer. Monokuma explicitly states that accidental murders still make you the blackened.

Busaiku

Partway through, just ruling out Kazuichi.
I'd thought suicide would be too obvious for this, so I didn't consider that. But I guess the "suicide" could've been earlier.
Guess I'll see...

RetroMG

Hey, for the "For the Hoard" trophy, do I need to have one of every item, or do I just have to have collected that item once? I don't want to have to go back and re-buy the 50 coin items once I've used them. I mean, I can, but it would be a pain.

Hey, for the "For the Hoard" trophy, do I need to have one of every item, or do I just have to have collected that item once? I don't want to have to go back and re-buy the 50 coin items once I've used them. I mean, I can, but it would be a pain.

Just need to have every item in your item list listed. So yes, you don't actually need to have a copy of every item, just had them at least once.

DNSHwJs.png
Thanks to you two! And sorry for not answering back then, but I've been trying to get off GAF until I at least watched the first chapter.

Whole chapter 1 spoilers
I don't even know what to say about Mikan's accidents anymore lol hOLY CRAP I didn't expect Togami to be the first one killed or even killed at all! Like, I once saw a picture of a DR2 crazy fangirl about Nagito saying something about Togami's death but I thought it was FAKE. Man, I can't believe this.

Even though I think I know of two murderers because of a Youtube thumbnail, so far I think it's between Soda (the guy just screams he would kill someone), Teruteru, Fuyuhiko, Nanami or Peko (none of them were at the scene of the party at the blackout). Also, huh, Gundham got his earring back...

I'm really liking the trial and it's agreement phase. Thinking about, it's somehow good that Togami died since now all of the new people are able to participate in a trial at least once. "In the end, hope always wins! That's what I believe!" Nagito is so weird lol and now he's being suspected as the killer! Now he snapped.... and he's admiting all of the crimes.... Dammit, my favorite character can't be the first to be executed!

Yes, thank you, Mikan! And now Teruteru is acting all weird, heh.. Okay, I don't know what to think of crazy Nagito, like, I knew he would be obsessed with hope but I didn't expect him to be this fucking crazy.... Yup, so it is Teruteru after all. When the others got their alibi, I knew it was either him or Gundham. Haha I love how the "killer" drawing used for the comics turned into Teruteru somehow.

DAMN I was going to say that I didn't really care for Teruteru, but after hearing he was trying to prevent Nagito to kill anyone... okay nevermind, BUT now his story about his momma.... damn. I think this is the first time I think of Monokuma as an ass, for not telling Teruteru what happened to her. Holy shit, lava, that was way too intense.

this game.... I'm not sure how crazy Chapter 2 is going to be

Not sure if this has already been linked before, but it seems the JP Sony Store are selling special Danganronpa 1+2 Vita 2000 and Vita TV systems in both white and black, they release next Thursday.

Zlf3vCH.jpg

ZXqEyb8.jpg

You can't even imagine how close I am to just importing one right now.

Labrys

Not sure if this has already been linked before, but it seems the JP Sony Store are selling special Danganronpa 1+2 Vita 2000 and Vita TV systems in both white and black, they release next Thursday.

Zlf3vCH.jpg

ZXqEyb8.jpg

You can't even imagine how close I am to just importing one right now.

Would you be able to import straight from the store, or would you need to go through a proxy? I'm legitimately tempted.

Would you be able to import straight from the store, or would you need to go through a proxy? I'm legitimately tempted.

I haven't heard about the JP Sony store accepting foreign credit cards or even shipping outside of Japan >_>

The only online store I saw that was even selling it was Play-Asia but it seems like their preorders have been sold out. Then again, they were selling it for like 140 dollars above how it much it costs...

Hopefully some other import stores start listing them after it gets released.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm just hoping we get the theme that was shown when they announced Vita themes, though I think it was for Another Episode.

Top Bottom