• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

Phii

Banned
I've finished Chapter 3:
Sad to find out who the killer was, but I don't know, it feels like I overlooked something important; the trail really was higgledy-piggledy. I'll replay chapter 3 unless it gets explained later.

I've also begun chapter 4:
Got really excited when New World Order played!

Oh, I'm really slow at progressing I guess, my time so far is
34 hours.

LX_Theo

Banned
I think it's the other way around, really. It's not that the questions don't flow as well as I want. It's that the action doesn't correspond to the questions/answers. The act of snowboarding is not, in any way, a metaphor for logical connections. It looks and feels arbitrary.

The other minigames create conflict or drama within the pace of the trial. Logic Dive does none of this, and overstays its welcome.
*Sigh* Like I said, the same argument could easily be made for ANY of the minigames. PTA in particular. It just doesn't work. Your insistence an making it out to be solely the snowboarding part is the issue. It ignores the action of following a path. Its simply metaphorical for following the line of logic... Just like every other minigame. If you want to keep this up... Then you better be ready to start calling out stuff like nonstop debate for using bullets as a metaphor.

Following an internal thought process isn't meant to effect the external conflict. Same with hangman's gambit. So stop with this bullshit, please. It even has precedent against the stupid stuff you're saying now.

I don't really care if you didn't like it... But there's a difference between not enjoying something and throwing out whatever reason you can think of to justify extreme opinions.

SO up until this point I didn't actually mind the new Hangman's Gambit, but FUUUUUCCCCCKKKK it so damn hard when trying to get through without taking damage. I literally had one letter left and the instant before I hit triangle two letters on the edge of the screen I couldn't even see collided and I took damage >:{

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
*Sigh* Like I said, the same argument could easily be made for ANY of the minigames. PTA in particular. It just doesn't work. Your insistence an making it out to be solely the snowboarding part is the issue. It ignores the action of following a path. Its simply metaphorical for following the line of logic... Just like every other minigame. If you want to keep this up... Then you better be ready to start calling out stuff like nonstop debate for using bullets as a metaphor.

Following an internal thought process isn't meant to effect the external conflict. Same with hangman's gambit. So stop with this bullshit, please. It even has precedent against the stupid stuff you're saying now.

I don't really care if you didn't like it... But there's a difference between not enjoying something and throwing out whatever reason you can think of to justify extreme opinions.

Then make the argument, and I'll agree with your right to hate those particular minigames. Logic Dive's metaphor doesn't work for me. You think the connection is fine. I think it's tenuous, horrible, and sloppy.

Is it any surprise then that both Hangman's Gambit and Logic Dive aren't well-liked minigames? They're both terribly disruptive. Hangman's Gambit has the disadvantage of being a mechanical mess as well.

You have an issue with me justifying my opinions based on my own experience? Get off your goddamn high horse. Seriously. I'll continue to voice my stance and people can agree or disagree based on their own experiences, like you have.

thank you sir. time to go trophy hunting! :D

Be forewarned. I hear it's a grind. It's on my list of things to do. The game is pretty fun, though.

Chris R

I've finished Chapter 3:
Sad to find out who the killer was, but I don't know, it feels like I overlooked something important; the trail really was higgledy-piggledy. I'll replay chapter 3 unless it gets explained later.

I just finished 3 last night and thought it was pretty easy to understand. The only thing I was bummed about was
Pushing Monokuma to explain how suicide would tie into the game. IE if Ibuki really did commit suicide, would the killer be allowed to "kill" two other people, but since it wasn't a suicide I guess it doesn't really matter.

The order of death stuff I had pegged from the second it was shown, but only because that's a really common murder mystery twist :\

edit: I guess I'm the only one who likes the Logic Dive. Still hate the rebuttal stuff mostly because it seems like my swipes aren't cutting as fast as I'm moving the stick or using my finger and having to juggle that while selecting the correct bullet to fire is a pain. Don't care for the PTA stuff either, but at least it doesn't constantly come up and is over somewhat quickly.

LX_Theo

Banned
Then make the argument, and I'll agree with your right to hate those particular minigames. Logic Dive's metaphor doesn't work for me. You think the connection is fine. I think it's tenuous, horrible, and sloppy.

Is it any surprise then that both Hangman's Gambit and Logic Dive aren't well-liked minigames? They're both terribly disruptive. Hangman's Gambit has the disadvantage of being a mechanical mess as well.

You have an issue with me justifying my opinions based on my own experience? Get off your goddamn high horse. Seriously. I'll continue to voice my stance and people can agree or disagree based on their own experiences, like you have.
This is the stuff I'm talking. Again, you spout off some nonsensical line of logic (in regards to the hangman's gambit... correlation is not causation. I could have told you this in elementary school). Again, you moan about me criticizing your stances here and refuse to actually defend the criticisms. Again, you make "arguments" that are just statements establishing how much you dislike it for large chunks of what you say.

My problem is your "opinion" is that it is apparently based off a couple of arguments that are, on their best day, grasping at straws. Did you not enjoy it? Fine, don't care. You say you didn't enjoy it because it was "irrelevant" (irrelevant, apparently, because its blatant relevance didn't do it for you... Might I add how stupid that sounds?)... No. I'm not going to accept that or your couple other points like it. I don't know if you're stupid or you really are just grasping for straws on an extreme opinion, nor do I care.

If you really care enough, and have an argument that doesn't contradict itself, actually speaks to the quality of the topic at hand instead of some mildly related issue, and doesn't commit numerous logical fallacies... Then PM me or something, because this has devolved into me telling you this is stupid because you refuse to defend your argument with anything I can acknowledge as respectable. No reason to force more of this into this thread.

Imouto

Banned
edit: I guess I'm the only one who likes the Logic Dive. Still hate the rebuttal stuff mostly because it seems like my swipes aren't cutting as fast as I'm moving the stick or using my finger and having to juggle that while selecting the correct bullet to fire is a pain. Don't care for the PTA stuff either, but at least it doesn't constantly come up and is over somewhat quickly.

You can just use the left analog stick. It's way faster and easier.

Logic dive was terrible. And not from a mechanic perspective. It didn't make any goddamn sense.

With each minigame, you can see how the action correlates to the actual connections/debate in the trial. Hangman's Gambit, Nonstop Debate, Panic Talk, etc. all actually simulate forming words in your head, dueling someone with words, etc. For Logic Dive, you make logical connections through... a snowboarding minigame? It's quite a stretch.

It's acting like what people call "train of thought".

It's actually a fun little game, just a bit longer than needed.

Am I the only one who feels like they took it too far with chapter 5?

I honestly didn't like Nagito to the point where I would him consider to be downright annoying. But perhaps that was the intention behind his character.

But to make him some sort of superbrain who figures out every crime, manipulates everyone around him AND sets up the murder in chapter 5? I really found that ridiculous. Since the twist in chapter 5 does rely so much on his character, I didn't like it as well. It felt totally unbelievable, even more so since it relied so much on his 'talent'

Maybe it is my personal problem with the character after all but I really hope chapter 6 will blow me away. Chapter 4 and 5 were lackluster imo for different reasons.

Imouto

Banned
Am I the only one who feels like they took it too far with chapter 5?

I honestly didn't like Nagito to the point where I would him consider to be downright annoying. But perhaps that was the intention behind his character.

But to make him some sort of superbrain who figures out every crime, manipulates everyone around him AND sets up the murder in chapter 5? I really found that ridiculous. Since the twist in chapter 5 does rely so much on his character, I didn't like it as well. It felt totally unbelievable, even more so since it relied so much on his 'talent'

Maybe it is my personal problem with the character after all but I really hope chapter 6 will blow me away. Chapter 4 and 5 were lackluster imo for different reasons.

I think he's the most interesting character. I'm intrigued by his characteristic, and I also hate him so much for what he did.

For your question, so far I would say, yeah, look like you're the only one.

Just finished chapter 5. God damn you Danganronpa.

Never before has the death of a character in any form of media ever hurt so much as sending Chiaki to die, I just couldn't hold back the tears. I'd already figured her out ages ago but I held out hope that being the Kirigiri of the group meant she'd make it to the end. And to have her death entirely hinging on Nagito's bullshit Ultimate Luck ability as well, that's what hurts the most - he deserved literally everything that happened to him.

As it is I just don't have the willpower to want to finish the game, I think I need to sit on it for a few days and come back to Chapter 6 with a different mindset.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

Never before has the death of a character in any form of media ever hurt so much as sending Chiaki to die, I just couldn't hold back the tears. I'd already figured her out ages ago but I held out hope that being the Kirigiri of the group meant she'd make it to the end. And to have her death entirely hinging on Nagito's bullshit Ultimate Luck ability as well, that's what hurts the most - he deserved literally everything that happened to him.

As it is I just don't have the willpower to want to finish the game, I think I need to sit on it for a few days and come back to Chapter 6 with a different mindset.
187v41tde344kjpg.jpg

Seriously, after finishing Chapter 5, I understood why people were talking about it so much...

Busaiku

Just started Deadly Life, so might be getting some things wrong.

IBUKI NOOOOOOO
WHY WAS HAJIME JUST WATCHING THE FEED. HE SHOULD'VE RAN THERE AS SOON AS IT STARTED.

i felt the same way. in fact, i already knew they were going to die and i realized that was going to be the last chapter with a murder, i didn't even want to play it.

DAMN IT, MONOKUMA! WHY DO ALL MY FAVES HAVE TO DIE!

well, most of them anyways.

antibolo

Banned
You can just use the left analog stick. It's way faster and easier.

I went through both games never using the touch features ever. I didn't see the point, since they were originally PSP games anyway, so the touch features are only an added gimmick.

FluxWaveZ

I went through both games never using the touch features ever. I didn't see the point, since they were originally PSP games anyway, so the touch features are only an added gimmick.

But the added touch controls for the original Ace Attorney trilogy were very intuitive.

The touch features are great for shooting purple text since you can't accidentally hit white text. I also found it useful for Hangman because you can reach the letters faster than you would with the analog stick. That's about it.

Nyoro SF

But the added touch controls for the original Ace Attorney trilogy were very intuitive.

Ace Attorney didn't have timing elements relevant to its touch controls though.

I too did not use touch controls, though using them for Hangman's Gambit probably would've been smarter. Whoops

Rhapsody

Banned
At the interrupted trial point.
Still can't figure out who did.
Definitely missing something here.

For some odd reason, chapter 3 was the easiest for me to figure out. But I know other people had problems with it.

The others I was either stumped or had a vague idea.

Busaiku

I mean, based on her testimony, I would've thought Akane, but I have no evidence of that, so maybe it's not her.
I would've thought Kazuichi and Gundahm as well, but we already grilled Kazuichi and Gundahm has an alibi for Ibuki.
Unless it really was the gullible stuff for Ibuki, in which case it'd go back to Gundahm.

Labrys

only good touch feature is holding a finger on the screen skips text faster than holding O

Rhapsody

Banned
Does the rear touch pad count? I used those during trials to get rid of the purple lines or whatever since it was so much easier. Other than that, I only used the front touch screen to just tap when I was reading on my bed.

Labrys

Does the rear touch pad count? I used those during trials to get rid of the purple lines or whatever since it was so much easier. Other than that, I only used the front touch screen to just tap when I was reading on my bed.

Yes, getting rid of white noise is also a really good feature, especially with how hard it is to mess up using X

dani_dc

Would be nice if they had pictures for maximizing Hope Fragments such as (max hope fragment spoilers) Chiaki
playing catch with you
and Sonia
falling down crying

Labrys

wait, what? is it like zero escape fast?

also i used the front touch screen for hangman's gambit. never attempted it with the stick.

I haven't played 999/vlr in a while, but it is speedy. I used it when I went back to grab missed monokuma dolls in chapter 4 and to complete some free times.

Steel

Banned
only good touch feature is holding a finger on the screen skips text faster than holding O

My touch screen occasionally freaks out, and I skipped quite a bit of text because it thought I was pressing the screen. Kinda wish you could turn that one specific feature off. At least there's a log.

MSMrRound

so is there any good way to get mono coins post game?

I never had a problem with Mono coins much. Pet raising alone gives like 200-300 or so coins when you finished raising one, while finishing Island mode gives around 200+ as well.

I pretty much used my coins up to unlock stuff as I go through the grinding for other trophies. Was pretty easy. I'm probably now in excess of 1600 coins or more if the game allowed us to keep more than 999 coins.

Finished the game an hour ago and found the story to be ridiculous.

I'm probably alone there, but I had this problem with 999 and VLR as well: enjoyed the ride a lot, was immensely disappointed by the solution.

The characters were better than in the first one but they are still hardly more than one-trick ponies. However compared to the first one, their design was better and not 60% of the cast sucked. Nevertheless, I still found them rather one dimensional and I mostly took their deaths for granted. I simply didn't care enough.

Imo the first game is way better. Better pacing, better twists. The plot was just better constructed and kept me interested. Dr 2 overstayed its welcome sometimes. Plus the new gameplay mechanics are extremely dull and uncalled for. However its setting was really cool and definitely more interesting than the school in dr 1

Overall, my personal scores

Danganronpa THH: 8/10
Danganronpa 2: 5.5/10

There is this general trend in visual novels that the writers go completely nuts with the ending which I do not like at all honestly.

Would be nice if they had pictures for maximizing Hope Fragments such as (max hope fragment spoilers) Chiaki
playing catch with you
and Sonia
falling down crying
Yeah, I was thinking about that too.

There should be a CG scene for each finished character route.

Feep

Banned
Now at the Chapter 5 trial.

So much left unanswered...basically everything, really. Who was Mikan's beloved? Why was a reserve student let into this thing? Why did Nagito go nuts (the student profiles he got in the Final Dead Room showed basically nothing)? What's up with Monomi's personality change? Where the hell am I...errr...is Byakuya? What's the countdown at the central island?

I want answers, dammit!

Edit: Also, seriously, murderers, STOP TRYING TO CONCOCT RIDICULOUS PLANS BY LEAVING ALL THESE GODDAMN CLUES AT THE SCENE. Slit someone's throat at night and get the fuck out of there. Jesus. This isn't that hard, people.

Phii

Banned
I'm almost halfway through Chapter 4:
Early during the investigation:
the perspective changed from Hajime to Nagito, I better remember this occured, even if it has nothing to do with anything.
Also... wasn't every deluxe room soundproof? Then how come Gundham heard the alarm? I better finish the investiagion.

Trigger

Edit: Also, seriously, murderers, STOP TRYING TO CONCOCT RIDICULOUS PLANS BY LEAVING ALL THESE GODDAMN CLUES AT THE SCENE. Slit someone's throat at night and get the fuck out of there. Jesus. This isn't that hard, people.

lol, in both games I wondered why somebody hadn't just tried this.

Mendrox

So is this a game someone would enjoy if they like the Phoenix Wright series?

You would enjoy it even more than Phoenix Wright. Well that's my opinion, but anybody who has a Vita should play these games. I would even go as far to say that these are the reason to buy a Vita.

dani_dc

"You got Chiaki Undergarments" feels extremely creepy.

I'd be more confortable with a graphical sexual scene than that.

At least now I know that Chiaki has
8-bit undergarments that are both retro and modern
I gues.

PK Gaming

"You got Chiaki Undergarments" feels extremely creepy.

I'd be more confortable with a graphical sexual scene than that.

At least now I know that Chiaki has
8-bit undergarments that are both retro and modern
I gues.

You don't know creepy until you get this guy's undies

(shudders)

Top Bottom