• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

Hugstable

Banned
Thanks, I like it a lot

If you need a sprite of any particular character, I can get it for you.

Thanks! Gonna find a way to get a cute little Monokuma Badge on my Mushroom for my avatar. Been so scared to look up any pictures of anything for the game especially Chiaki since I'm worried that even wanting to look for pictures is gonna send me to spoiler town!

Check your PMs.

I'd like to know as well, if you don't mind sharing...

I feel like a dummy for skipping out on the Limited Edition. Only reason I'm going digital again is because I bought the first game digital originally, and it would seem weird to own the first game digital and second game physical. OHHHH the desbear!

I'm going digital because it looks like I'll be traveling for work and won't have anywhere to go get the game or have it delivered. :mad:

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
The structure in LVR isn't meant to protect them from an apocalpyse in VLR.
The silver-hair girl I give you, but I have to add that this seems rather "general anime cliche" rather than "great idea that Danganronpa had"
Schrödinger's cat and prisoner's dilemma don't play a role in Danganronpa and both play an integral role and are cleverly used in the story of VLR. If you think I'm wrong here, please elaborate
IIRC The world is infected and on the Moon you can't live, so remaining in the structure is the best idea :p
Same character in the same role, it's more than just anime trope
Schrodinger's cat and prisoner's dilemma are the explanations of the foundations of the games, same references=same game, but that's not the point, not many games has good foundations and even less name/explain them, VLR is similar to Danganronpa(and Danganronpa is similar to 999) and there's nothing wrong with it, but explaining those reference that were already present in Danganronpa accentuate the feeling of already heard/played

Not quite the point I was trying to make.
More that neither VLR or DR are taking from each other, they're pulling from similar sources.

Also I never said I thought VLR was better. Honestly, it's the weakest game Uchikoshi has worked on that I've played. I enjoyed it about as much as DR1.

What you both seems to not understand is that we are not talking about a fps where no one cares if a story or a character is similar to another fps because shooting is the point of the game, but both Danganronpa and VLR are almost visual novels, they are more like books, story and characters are the core, if a book has almost the same big plot point, a big character and other little things to a popular precedent book of the same genre well do not expect it to be a success, and that's exactly what happened to VLR imo, Danganronpa is relatively popular in Japan, Japanese gamers did not appreciate VLR borrowing so much from it so they let VLR bomb, and that's why there's no sequel to VLR, if you want to make a serious story heavy game with some mindblowing revelation you should make it original, especially if its predecessor is really praised.

Hugstable

Banned
Is there anyone that is good with photoshop that would be able to shop in this Monokuma Pin somewhere on the Toad hat for my Chiyo Avatar? I'll give you a Huggy hug is someone is able to do it haha. I wish I knew how to use photoshop sometimes :-/

CHbjUHC.jpg

I feel like a dummy for skipping out on the Limited Edition. Only reason I'm going digital again is because I bought the first game digital originally, and it would seem weird to own the first game digital and second game physical. OHHHH the desbear!

I have the first one on digital only but I figured I'd splurge anyways.

Kept my LE preorder out of sheer laziness. Doesn't seem like it's worth the extra few bucks but oh well.

Looking forward to this. I really, really liked the first, though I never 100% fell in love. One question about 2, not looking for anything other than a turbo-vague answer: Does the game get any "crazier" than the first? I kept expecting 1 to have one or two earth-shattering "things are not what they seemed!" moments or to at least end with some huge revelation about the state of the outside world, but it didn't really do any of that. (I fear that playing 999 as my first game of this type may have forever ruined my expectations for all others, lol)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
For others: Spoilers, because we are discussing plot details of Danganronpa 1 and Virtue's Last Reward.

IIRC The world is infected and on the Moon you can't live, so remaining in the structure is the best idea :p
They are trapped in the building not to protect them, but to make them jump in time using their conciousness, that's clearly different imo.
Schrodinger's cat and prisoner's dilemma are the explanations of the foundations of the games, same references=same game, but that's not the point, not many games has good foundations and even less name/explain them, VLR is similar to Danganronpa(and Danganronpa is similar to 999) and there's nothing wrong with it, but explaining those reference that were already present in Danganronpa accentuate the feeling of already heard/played
Where do you see Schrödinger's cat or prisoner's dilemma in the story of Danganronpa? Both are not a plot point in 999, either. I agree that 999, VLR and DR1 / 2 are rather similar in topics, but only VLR heavily deals with the prisoner's dilemma.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
He's drawn differently from everyone else! That's, like, so suspicious and everything!

On a scale of 1 to upupupupu, how much emotional turmoil will I suffer? >.>

If you care for the well-being of the ones who are allowed to kill you and the ones who need protection:
upupupupu / upupupupu
- Keep in mind that the length of the spoiler need not give away my answer.

Hugstable

Banned
Going digital is gonna be awesome, won't have to wait for the game or anything I'm just gonna jump right into the cases. UPUPUPUPUPUPUPU.

pariah164

Is there anyone that is good with photoshop that would be able to shop in this Monokuma Pin somewhere on the Toad hat for my Chiyo Avatar? I'll give you a Huggy hug is someone is able to do it haha. I wish I knew how to use photoshop sometimes :-/
How's this?

0ZnDDGU.png

Certinty

Before I preorder, how much better is this than the first?

Just felt a little disappointed with the first as it sort of fell apart in the last few chapters.

Just felt a little disappointed with the first as it sort of fell apart in the last few chapters.
imho, it's way better than the first one. Story wise and character wise especially. Not completely sure gameplay wise though, as I have only read/watched walkthrough/let's play.

Meia

Got the first one physical, but missed out on the CE since I had no idea what this series even was. Did not make the same mistake the second time, so CE here I come. :D

Unspoiled for the first, unspoiled for the second, can't wait.

Vylash

i'm not done with it yet, but personally i'm enjoying it better than the first game, story wise and character wise at least

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
For others: Spoilers, because we are discussing plot details of Danganronpa 1 and Virtue's Last Reward.

They are trapped in the building not to protect them, but to make them jump in time using their conciousness, that's clearly different imo.

Where do you see Schrödinger's cat or prisoner's dilemma in the story of Danganronpa? Both are not a plot point in 999, either. I agree that 999, VLR and DR1 / 2 are rather similar in topics, but only VLR heavily deals with the prisoner's dilemma.

Characters are convinced of the urge to escape from the structure while the outside is worse and in both cases characters forgot/are unaware of world situation, that's a huge similarity to me since it's the point of both games.
In some dialogue of Danganronpa someone(Kyoko i guess) compares the situation to the Schrodiger's cat and prisoner's dilemma(or maybe it wasn't the prisoner's dilemma? In any case a reference present also in VLR)

Still reeling from the chapter I completed last night. I haven't gotten this emotional over a game in a LONG time. The last one I can think of is Persona 4, and that was at a time when I was more susceptible to this kind of stuff.

Depending on how the finale plays out, this very well may enter my top 10.

Characters are convinced of the urge to escape from the structure while the outside is worse and in both cases characters forgot/are unaware of world situation, that's a huge similarity to me since it's the point of both games.
In some dialogue of Danganronpa someone(Kyoko i guess) compares the situation to the Schrodiger's cat and prisoner's dilemma(or maybe it wasn't the prisoner's dilemma? In any case a reference present also in VLR)

Just a quick question for you. Which major plot points are you referring to in VLR that you believe have been taken from DR? Because from what I can recall 90% of the reveals in VLR are recycled from Ever17. More in the spoilers below, for all 3 games.

Okay, so as you may know people were not as happy with VLR since it recycled most of Ever17's plot. This included:
People trapped in a structure that solves a purpose which is not known in the beginning.
Lying about the time that the game takes place in.
Lying about the playable character's identity.
Wide spread disease leading to a great reduction of the earth's population.
A character that is lying about their identity to hide the fact the the reader already know who they are.
An omnipresent being that is actually the reader themselves inhabiting certain characters.
Schrodinger's Cat in terms of the character in the elevator in Ever17, and K's true identity.
Clones.
The prisoner dilemma in terms of Sora in Ever17 and Luna in VLR both expressing human wants and desires.
And loads of others that I'm forgetting.

The point of the question I'm asking here is what plot points did VLR take from DR, that were not already in Uchikoshi previous works? Because everything that you may claim to be taken from DR was already in Ever17, and he then takes more from that.

Hugstable

Banned
So who was everyone's favorite characters from the first Danganronpa? I really liked both Hiro and Kyoko alot. Hiro had so many funny scenes and usually had a chill/funny attitude about everything going on. Plus the whole aliens stealing his hamburger even though it was pork scene had me dying. Kyoko I like alot because of her mysteriousness and her logic being quite high enough to where she was basically solving most of the cases before even we did.
She is the Ultimate Detective after all <3

So who was everyone's favorite characters from the first Danganronpa? I really liked both Hiro and Kyoko alot. Hiro had so many funny scenes and usually had a chill/funny attitude about everything going on. Plus the whole aliens stealing his hamburger even though it was pork scene had me dying. Kyoko I like alot because of her mysteriousness and her logic being quite high enough to where she was basically solving most of the cases before even we did.

Hina. Hina is life.

antitrop

Run now! Spoilers in this topic ahoy! Go play the first game, it's amazing!

Unfortunately, I already know more than I want to. I don't play a lot of games of this type, I was confused on some minor detail and Google'd it only to find out more than I ever wanted to know.

Anyway, I'll still finish it, because it's the journey, not the destination, right?

Hugstable

Banned
Unfortunately, I already know more than I want to. I don't play a lot of games of this type, I was confused on some minor detail and Google'd it only to find out more than I ever wanted to know.

Anyway, I'll still finish it, because it's the journey, not the destination, right?

Yup the game is still alot of fun either way, and I beat the game twice and still enjoyed it the second time just because I love the music and all the courtroom sections so much. Plus finding out how everything ties together is probably one of my favorite parts of these games.

Hina. Hina is life.

haha Hina is like my 3rd favorite. DONUTSSS!

sub_o

Asahina all the way all day long. Kyoko kept playing hard to get, and pretentious till it's annoying.

Asahina? Donuts all day long, easy to understand.

tumblr_msjbg1mPlw1ql5m19o1_500.gif

Yasuhiro is just a deadweight.

Vylash

#TeamHina

todd360

I kinda feel like playing the last trial again to prepare for dang it grandpa 2. I already got the platinum so there isn't anything else to do.

Hugstable

Banned
Asahina all the way all day long. Kyoko kept playing hard to get, and pretentious till it's annoying.

Asahina? Donuts all day long, easy to understand.

tumblr_msjbg1mPlw1ql5m19o1_500.gif

Yasuhiro is just a deadweight.

Yes I love Hina Donuts as well :D. But still this was the cutest thing ever

UoUcozk.png

pariah164

My general feelings right now are a mix of

10088282.gif

and

10088283.gif

So who was everyone's favorite characters from the first Danganronpa?
Celeste, full stop. Her style, her voice, her personality, the fact she WON the motherfucking Liar Game... Just awesome all around. Even with short hair she's cute.

Moonlight

Banned
I loved Kyoko, and I really liked Asahina too. Kyoko was just a really compelling character with a great attitude towards problem-solving, and what I think is probably the strongest character arc in the game, besides Byakuya and Sakura. Asahina is just a totally bubbly and feel-good character to be around, and I really liked her design too. Not as good as Kyoko's, but what is?

If School Mode counts, then I'm gonna say Mukuro was my favourite. Loved her little anecdotes about her life in the military and how she kept trying to justify it as 'normal' stuff to fit in with her disguise, and her ending was straight up the best School Mode ending in the game. Just a character I really didn't expect anything from (although I liked what little of what we saw of 'Junko' in the primary game), that wound up being hilarious, likably rough-around-the-edges, and kind of poignant, in the end.

...Mukuroooooooooooo ;___________;

Top Bottom