• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair |OT| Sun, Fun, and Despair

Still waiting, but it seems that many others are too. I was near the tail-end of DR1 charging, though I don't recall what span of time it happened over so I'm not sure when to expect it.

PK Gaming

I loved Kyoko, and I really liked Asahina too. Kyoko was just a really compelling character with a great attitude towards problem-solving, and what I think is probably the strongest character arc in the game, besides Byakuya and Sakura. Asahina is just a totally bubbly and feel-good character to be around, and I really liked her design too. Not as good as Kyoko's, but what is?

If School Mode counts, then I'm gonna say Mukuro was my favourite. Loved her little anecdotes about her life in the military and how she kept trying to justify it as 'normal' stuff to fit in with her disguise, and her ending was straight up the best School Mode ending in the game. Just a character I really didn't expect anything from (although I liked what little of what we saw of 'Junko' in the primary game), that wound up being hilarious, likably rough-around-the-edges, and kind of poignant, in the end.

...Mukuroooooooooooo ;___________;

DanganRonpa: IF will ease the pain

or make it worse

ywjD6NU

Yesssss!!!!! I managed to grab the last oneeee!!!

Tonight...I dine on despair.

First, some Bon Chon for dinner.

Darksol

If you've watched the anime, do you think skipping the first game will make you miss out on much before going into this one?

The anime was so incredibly rushed. There's really no substitute for playing the game. I think you'll miss out on a lot. The anime hits the plot points but that's about it.

The anime was so incredibly rushed. There's really no substitute for playing the game. I think you'll miss out on a lot. The anime hits the plot points but that's about it.

Then again, if all you wanted to know was what happened in the last game, the anime isn't that bad for it. (Though you could just use a bullet point summary and it would basically be the same thing and in less amount of time)

Darksol

Then again, if all you wanted to know was what happened in the last game, the anime isn't that bad for it. (Though you could just use a bullet point summary and it would basically be the same thing and in less amount of time)

Yeah, I agree. I just care too much about the character relationships, which they don't go particularly deep into.

If you've watched the anime, do you think skipping the first game will make you miss out on much before going into this one?

Technically you can as there isn't really any major overarching details left out in the anime. Still, you should play the first game beforehand anyway. Familiarize yourself with the mechanics and get to know the cast better.

Hugstable

Banned

I would play the game, I wasn't a big fan of the anime. Then again there is only so much they can cover in such a short amount of episodes. The game is still amazing even if you know what's gonna happen because the anime just kinda zips by everything and doesn't really develop any of the characters very much and just boils everything down to the main story/case trails.

Nachos

True masterminds:

This was my theory from the start.
They just look really, really similar and when he's introducing you to people on the island he acts the most familiar with Byakuya, even though they supposedly just met.

It's easy to discern this, but I'll throw it in spoiler tags, just in case:
Makoto and Nagito share voice actors in the English and Japanese versions of the game, too.

Then tell me more in spoiler-tags
because I've played through the game and I'm quite sure he's not and he doesn't behave like him either
We have a Dangan Ronpa 2 spoiler thread in the gaming community section that'll be moving to the general gaming section closer to the street date. If anyone who has beaten the game has any questions, I'd suggest asking there.

SUPPORT MY CAREER

ACTUALLY MY CAREER HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW WELL THIS GAME SELLS

SUPPORT NISA

WOOOOOOOOOOO DR2
I know there aren't really any residuals in game voice over, but any chance a certain amount of sales could get you, like, five boxes of Dunkaroos or something? You know, purely to advance your career and enable you to hone your craft even further?

Feep

Banned
I know there aren't really any residuals in game voice over, but any chance a certain amount of sales could get you like five boxes of Dunkaroos or something? You know, purely to advance your career and enable you to hone your craft even further?
Houk, this is important, if DR2 sells well, you owe me Dunkaroos

True masterminds:

I know there aren't really any residuals in game voice over, but any chance a certain amount of sales could get you, like, five boxes of Dunkaroos or something? You know, purely to advance your career and enable you to hone your craft even further?

But Feep gets skinny in his next appearance in a Danganronpa game!

Also, I'm looking forward to seeing how NISA translates the masterminds' names.

Nachos

Houk, this is important, if DR2 sells well, you owe me Dunkaroos

Especially since it sounds like you were deprived of any food in the recording session. How are you supposed to method-act in those conditions?
Maybe you got some green apples to help with mic clicks, I dunno.

Also, I'm looking forward to seeing how NISA translates the masterminds' names.
I'm really curious to see how they handle a lot of stuff in this game. I've said this before, but this game is about as Japanese as a Japanese game could get, since it's so heavily-rooted in Japanese pop culture and its language. Sonia herself is basically a weeaboo, referencing aspects of Japan even some natives wouldn't get. It's going to be interesting to see what they localized and what they kept (relatively) intact.

Nachos

Is there no official release date or are stores just breaking the street date?

It's September 2nd in North America, but I think NISA sent out copies early so people who ordered from their store wouldn't get them a week later like with the first game. Other stores – most likely mom n' pop places – don't care, either.

Devo

Does anyone know if the North American version of Danganronpa (1 or 2) is playable on the Playstation TV? (the one that's coming out in NA, not the Vita TV)

Nachos

Does anyone know if the North American version of Danganronpa (1 or 2) is playable on the Playstation TV? (the one that's coming out in NA, not the Vita TV)

It should be. I never used either touch input in the entire game, but I remember some optional touch screen stuff.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It should be. I never used either touch input in the entire game, but I remember some optional touch screen stuff.
Yeah, the game was completely touch-screen optional. I mainly used the back touchpad for the noise that'd appear, but otherwise, I recall sticking to buttons.

Ohnonono

So if I would rather buy this as opposed to the first is that a huge issue? It seems like there are some graphical and game play improvements. I realize it is a continuation but if I for instance enjoyed VLR without playing 999(just read spoilers), could I do the same with this game?

So if I would rather buy this as opposed to the first is that a huge issue? It seems like there are some graphical and game play improvements. I realize it is a continuation but if I for instance enjoyed VLR without playing 999(just read spoilers), could I do the same with this game?

You'll probably miss out on some plot points as some loose threads from the first game are tied up here.

And yeah, sure if you just decide to read spoilers of the first game, you can totally jump in.

But then again, the first game is on sale this week on PSN~

Hugstable

Banned

I would still get the first game, this seems even more an obvious continuation than VLR was to 999. VLR was pretty much it's own game til the very end where it being a true sequel became more clear, but this game seem to be a direct continuation of what happened in the first game. It's also on sale on PSN, and it would probably be a better judge as to whether you are actually going to like the series or not.

I would play the game, I wasn't a big fan of the anime. Then again there is only so much they can cover in such a short amount of episodes. The game is still amazing even if you know what's gonna happen because the anime just kinda zips by everything and doesn't really develop any of the characters very much and just boils everything down to the main story/case trails.

I guess that was going to be my follow-up question. If knowing the plot and twists would ruin playing the game; if it's still fun/worthwhile, then I'll go that route.

Ohnonono

You'll probably miss out on some plot points as some loose threads from the first game are tied up here.

And yeah, sure if you just decide to read spoilers of the first game, you can totally jump in.

But then again, the first game is on sale this week on PSN~

How big of a deal are the improvements on the new game? With the old one on sale I may just pick it up first but not if there are major improvements. i.e. visuals or the little mini game stuff being a lot better.

Play the first game! It's still damn solid, and it would be tough going back after 2.

I wonder if they'll release Another Episode here in the west?

Announcement during NISA's press event in March.

Release in the fall.

LE comes with Monokuma phone stand.

Believeeeeeeee

I mean most likely, Danganronpa has been surprisingly successful for NISA and I believe the producer during the Danganronpa panel at AX has mentioned he is looking forward to seeing more growth of Danganronpa in the west.

Nachos

How big of a deal are the improvements on the new game? With the old one on sale I may just pick it up first but not if there are major improvements. i.e. visuals or the little mini game stuff being a lot better.
Not significant enough to make the first game hard to play, especially if you start with it. The controls are snappy, and the second game added gameplay more than it needed to refine it. That's all secondary to the story.

Fair enough. With it on sale I don't see why not. I take it that if I don't like the first the second would have been a waste of money anyway?

Pretty much. Like I said, they added new minigame types for more variety, but you're still doing the same things, for the most part.

I really hope DR turns into a big series. I'd even welcome some copy cats provided they're at least half as good as what they're imitating. It's my favorite new franchise in a very long time and it deserves even more praise and mainstream visibility.

Hopefully Schreier is serious when he says it's getting GOTY (though I doubt it). Kotaku giving it that would be incredible.

I really hope DR turns into a big series. I'd even welcome some copy cats provided they're at least half as good as what they're imitating. It's my favorite new franchise in a very long time and it deserves even more praise and mainstream visibility.

Hopefully Schreier is serious when he says it's getting GOTY (though I doubt it). Kotaku giving it that would be incredible.

Hope the series does well to bring over the sequels and spin-offs too! It's pretty amazing to have both games release in the same year.

Cant believe I missed out on the LE hopefully I can get one for the next entry when it's (hopefully) brought to the west. Either way I need September 2nd right now!

pariah164

Didn't they say the first game sold more than what they expected?
Aye. I say the same time since when DR1 launched, one of the English VA for DR 2 (Kazuichi Soda's, I think) accidentally tweeted about how they voiced a character in a game that released that day... Only they flashed Kazuichi's picture, essentially leaking that NISA was doing DR 2, or were at least betting that DR 1 would sell enough.

Am I making sense?

CrazyDude

Aye. I say the same time since when DR1 launched, one of the English VA for DR 2 (Kazuichi Soda's, I think) accidentally tweeted about how they voiced a character in a game that released that day... Only they flashed Kazuichi's picture, essentially leaking that NISA was doing DR 2, or were at least betting that DR 1 would sell enough.

Am I making sense?

Yes, I was just making a comment. I hope this one sells enough as well to justify bringing out Another Episode and possibly the third game if it ever gets announced.

Top Bottom