• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Frost

Banned
Also - I know the series has always been over-the-top but this ep really drove home how meaningless the words "hope" and "despair" are now, especially the latter. The way they treat "despair" as some kind of magic mega-evil-creating virus is honestly just silly and not really in a good way. It's basically their catch-all "bad things" word.

Just think of despair as sadism/masochism because that's pretty much all it's been depicted as. At a base level, it's a fantastical psychological affliction that's actually pretty fascinating, though the silly stuff does take away from it at times (not helped by its relation to "hope", which is purely shounen optimism).

FluxWaveZ

(not helped by its relation to "hope", which is purely shounen optimism).

Is it, or is that simply Makoto's "hope"? Nagito's "hope" is a real mess and it certainly isn't wholly optimistic in nature. Hope's Peak's "hope" was basically the highest form of elitism that could be gained (the type who would classify "hope" as a way to make society as a whole Ultimates). Munakata's "hope" is grounded in his desire for control and having everyone follow his path, ala Kiyotaka. Punished Munakata's "hope" is purely the annihilation of any potential source of "despair."

I think there's more variance in Danganronpa's descriptions of "hope" so far than there is of "despair," actually. "Despair" so far has just meant "sadomasochistic bad guy who wants to see everything burn, usually for the sake of Junko." It's why I thought Monaca had real potential to finally bring something different to the formula because, although she professed to be in love with despair like her big sis, her motivations came from a very different place, and were manifested as such. Too bad they didn't really go anywhere with that.

Red Frost

Banned
Is it, or is that simply Makoto's "hope"? Nagito's "hope" is a real mess and it certainly isn't wholly optimistic in nature. Hope's Peak's "hope" was basically the highest form of elitism that could be gained (the type who would classify "hope" as a way to make society as a whole Ultimates). Munakata's "hope" is grounded in his desire for control and having everyone follow his path, ala Kiyotaka. Punished Munakata's "hope" is purely the annihilation of any potential source of "despair."

I think there's more variance in Danganronpa's descriptions of "hope" so far than there is of "despair," actually. "Despair" so far has just meant "sadomasochistic bad guy who wants to see everything burn, usually for the sake of Junko." It's why I thought Monaca had real potential to finally bring something different to the formula because, although she professed to be in love with despair like her big sis, her motivations came from a very different place, and were manifested as such. Too bad they didn't really go anywhere with that.

I kind of see Makoto's hope as the "canon" hope, which can be boiled down to an optimistic "things can change for the better". It was the kind of hope that played a strong role in the climaxes of both mainline games, which showed a strong relation to similar shounen tropes.

And really, Nagito's hope is pretty much just that but coming at it from a different approach; the acknowledgement that despair WILL happen and that hope can't exist without it vs despair already happening and hope being the desired result. At least that's how I interpreted it, but the guy has dementia and a desire to be a catalyst for that despair that will ultimately lead to hope. It's a more cynical and destructive take on Makoto's hope.

Finaly watched the episode ...

IT WAS ME (heart)

Goddamit , no wonder he planted his sword in her body.

Tengan was obscure on purpose , especially since he knew that everyone was an attacker. At this point , there is just so few options left.

What happenned to togami , btw ?

FluxWaveZ

I kind of see Makoto's hope as the "canon" hope, which can be boiled down to an optimistic "things can change for the better". It was the kind of hope that played a strong role in the climaxes of both mainline games, which showed a strong relation to similar shounen tropes.

And really, Nagito's hope is pretty much just that but coming at it from a different approach; the acknowledgement that despair WILL happen and that hope can't exist without it vs despair already happening and hope being the desired result.

I think that variance in Nagito's makes all the difference. Basically, the mindsets make for the difference between a straight-laced protagonist and another that could accurately be called an anti-hero at best, villain at worst.

You're right that, when it comes to "final battles," Makoto's hope of unrelenting optimism for the future is what will be represented as the series' primary "hope," but there's still the fact that the word has more depth to it in the Danganronpa series than "despair" because of how different characters interpret it. It might not be that profound, but it's certainly less surface level than characters on the "despair" side.

Red Frost

Banned
I think that variance in Nagito's makes all the difference. Basically, the mindsets make for the difference between a straight-laced protagonist and another that could accurately be called an anti-hero at best, villain at worst.

You're right that, when it comes to "final battles," Makoto's hope of unrelenting optimism for the future is what will be represented as the series' primary "hope," but there's still the fact that the word has more depth to it in the Danganronpa series than "despair" because of how different characters interpret it. It might not be that profound, but it's certainly less surface level than characters on the "despair" side.

To be fair, the only ones we've TRULY seen on the side of despair are Junko and arguably Monaca. Mukuro isn't committed to the cause and everyone else is a brainwashed drone or a victim. So really, the sole representation of the concept is someone who takes solace in the thrill of chaos as she's incapable of feeling anything without it. It's random, and yet consistent because it encompasses pretty much the entire spectrum of sadomasochistic behavior.

The way I see it, hope variance is purely conceptual/philosophical based, whereas despair is action/reaction/behavior based. We don't need a bunch of different interpretations of despair because we got the entirety of it with Junko's.

FluxWaveZ

The way I see it, hope variance is purely conceptual/philosophical based, whereas despair is action/reaction/behavior based. We don't need a bunch of different interpretations of despair because we got the entirety of it with Junko's.

I don't think I agree with that. Junko's is but one interpretation "despair" could have. Her desire is chaos, right? What if there was a character whose "despair" was manifested through order instead? There were some hints of things being able to go that way when the characters were speculating on keeping Makoto alive as a false leader who would guide society into a "false hope."

Despair is just "the absence of hope." There are so many ways that something like that could be conveyed than just the way Junko sees it.

Red Frost

Banned
What if there was a character whose "despair" was manifested through order instead? There were some hints of things being able to go that way when the characters were speculating on keeping Makoto alive as a false leader who would guide society into a "false hope."\

Is that really much different than what Shirokuma tried to accomplish with Big Bang Monokuma?

Junko's despair has already taken many forms, from pure chaos to building up one's hope before crushing them with despair. I don't think she would be opposed to a world built on false hope as she's shown she's pretty malleable in her beliefs, unlike those who represent hope. Unless of course we see Junko and AI Junko as separate entities.

PK Gaming

CsLl9BrWAAAsaow.jpg

I hope Munakata doesn't cheaply sacrifice himself in the coming episodes

I would be so very cross if that happened

all this hope vs hope stuff and its like everyone's forgotten there's a 3rd ultimate hope walking around on Jabberwock.

This should've been a triple threat match dammnit, Komeada never would've overlooked this bad booking, he can't be the mastermind.

MSMrRound

It was clearly the brain-washing killing game video that Junko is using to influence the Reserve Course Students as well as Mikan and potentially others. Not too sure why some are still referring to it as an anime. Junko's just trying to apply Mitarai's (and eventually forcing him to help her with it) brain-washing technique in it.

Rich!

By the love of fuck Munakata is dumber than a Trump supporter

Oh god do we really need political stuff in here too? It's one of the only places on the board I can escape from all of it

Anyhow ...I really don't see how they can wrap everything up in just two more episodes per side. Bit worried really.

Shouta

Based on what happened with Chisa in the episode, I'm thinking that the shit that Mukuro did to her caused her to be normal around Munakata but when she was away from them, she was doing that shit. Screwing with her pleasure centers and her mind at the same time fucked her up bad and that probably is why there's that image of Munakata in that sequence in Despair.

I'm probably just overthinking it though and she was brainwashed the entire time, lol.

Razmos

I'm surprised Chisa hasn't become a meme, her stood in the foreground of some horrible event with "It was me!" in big pink letters

Getting really bummed at how much Despair is retroactively fucking up with the game's great approach of 'show don't tell', so thankfully Future is still pretty great. Pretty interested in seeing just how much Chisa was fucking around with FF and Munakata, though I feel having that flashback to the park with the preschoolers near the beginning of the series would've set up the ~IT WAS ME~ :D dick punch better. As is it's a bit too abrupt a reveal, especially if (for some reason) you opt out of watching Despair.

Iokis

Just a quick question, at what point did Munakata get a hold of the IT WAS ME photo? When her body first fell down? When he rammed his sword through her body? Some other time? Struggling to think now.

Rich!

Just a quick question, at what point did Munakata get a hold of the IT WAS ME photo? When her body first fell down? When he rammed his sword through her body? Some other time? Struggling to think now.

Before he stabbed her. He checked her body.

PaulBizkit

Palpatine probably turns people to the dark side by showing them his brainwashing anime of Anakin killing younglings.

UUUNLIMITED DESPAAAAIR

i laughed way more than i should have

I just saw the episode. I hope Kyoko stays dead, although it didn't really change the plot that much. But, i don't know, her death didn't really shock me.

Why is everybody mentioning Togami? What did i miss?

I'm afraid of spoilers so I didn't read the thread.

I watched episode 10 of future side. And episode 9 of despair side. Was there any new releases? Or are we having a break? I can't find new episodes.

Chase17

I'm afraid of spoilers so I didn't read the thread.

I watched episode 10 of future side. And episode 9 of despair side. Was there any new releases? Or are we having a break? I can't find new episodes.

You should be all caught up now. Next will be despair 10 on Thursday.

You should be all caught up now. Next will be despair 10 on Thursday.
Thanks!

So, the scene in the very beginning where Chisa is watching her death from the theatre... Is there any chance that people aren't really dead and this is all another simulator?

Kyoko's death makes sense and in my opinion it was well done and a brave decision by the showrunners. I mean, there is no one better to inflict despair on Naegi, and him not losing his shit just proves that he is the Ultimate Hope. But even with that, I think it's hard to believe she is dead.

Dead or not, I am loving this show.

ChrisD

I'm crying because it's true
What the tears are from, laughter or sadness, is up to personal interpretation
actually I don't think DR3 has been amazing, but as I said earlier in the thread, I'm still enjoying it and look forward to the weekly eps

Mendrox

I'm crying because it's true
What the tears are from, laughter or sadness, is up to personal interpretation
actually I don't think DR3 has been amazing, but as I said earlier in the thread, I'm still enjoying it and look forward to the weekly eps

This. Even though it could be better I always look forward to a new episode every week. :) Makes Mondays also great.

My prediction:

Juzo was killed (or injured) for reasons not related to his NG or even the game, but rather for something from the past. Munakata only now attacks him because he had gone insane from despair. The fact that we don't see Juzo's NG - and only Juzo's NG at this point - is just a red herring.

My prediction:

Juzo was killed (or injured) for reasons not related to his NG or even the game, but rather for something from the past. Munakata only now attacks him because he had gone insane from despair. The fact that we don't see Juzo's NG - and only Juzo's NG at this point - is just a red herring.

it's ok, mitarai can just stay in the background like he did all season

Red Frost

Banned
lol GAF isn't liking it?

The Despair side could have been better, but the Future side has been great to me.

My problems with the series are almost entirely limited to Despair side. Biggest complaints with future side is how insignificant UDG was and some borked characterizations here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom