• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makoto doing his thing was nice to see. He knows his strength and him luring Kyosuke to that room from earlier was cool. Glad to really see him shine.

Lmao at Chisa leaving that note for Yu. Ice cold.

At this point I don't think that Hina was swapped out. Seems more like those are just animation errors and people looking too deeply into things. I do still think that Chisa is obviously around, and that there's some kind of swap at play here.

pbayne

Future 10

I guess Yu faced his true self, his shadow or whatever.

Im calling bullshit.
Naegi definitely ran several times there.

PsionBolt

By ketchup if you mean the Asahina fake out Monaca said she was pulling a prank on Makoto

No, I mean the stuff that keeps coming out of people when they're hurt in Future, like the stuff that came out of Naegi's face this episode. It's only in Future; Despair has blood come out, as it should, but Future has ketchup for whatever reason.

FluxWaveZ

Oh yeah, I'm all for it. Love crazy twists.

Just watched the latest episode of Mob Psycho 100 and that's a crazy twist. Thinking about it now, this is Danganronpa we're talking about and there actually hasn't been any really compelling twist for me so far. Honestly can't think of one, and that's a shame.

I really liked the "game's already started" scene in Future 01, but that wasn't really a "twist."

so more reddit madness especially with despair chisa now

5oWQAKO.jpg

In full. That second slide...

I find it interesting that they refer to this person as "true ultimate despair". That term should really only refer to Junko but she never infiltrated FF none the less reached the upper echelons.....unless..........

The_Kid

Man part of me thinks its Chiaki working with Chisa and the whole thing will end with Izuru apologizing to Chiaki as they both die or something.

Chase17

Just watched the latest episode of Mob Psycho 100 and that's a crazy twist. Thinking about it now, this is Danganronpa we're talking about and there actually hasn't been any really compelling twist for me so far. Honestly can't think of one, and that's a shame.

I really liked the "game's already started" scene in Future 01, but that wasn't really a "twist."
I agree. I would consider the Mob episode to be a great twist.

Although there are certain points in games/shows where I don't mind things getting crazy twists that in the grand scheme don't matter much, and I think Danganronpa 3 is pretty much there as I'm not sure the show can be saved for me.

The Mob twist had been loosely set up throughout the season, will push the narrative forward in a big way, and had me going whaaaat.

For stuff like Danganronpa I'm just looking for more stuff like, "Oh we're underwater now" "Ok, I guess". Essentially I want it to embrace jumping the shark.

FStubbs

Thoughts:

* Does anybody have more death flags than Chiaki at this point? I don't know if I've seen a character with this many. Poor thing.
* Chisa leaving the pictures and the note means she knew she was going to "die" before Munakata. Interesting NG Code, especially if she turns out to be the mastermind.
* It's still suspicious to me how Tengan knew about the attackers and monitors. Which ... if it's brainwashing puts Ryota back in suspicion.
* 6 left? I'm assuming one mystery person, and somehow either Kyoko or Juzo are alive. If Juzo's alive he's coming for Munakata. "You know why?" Did Munakata think Juzo knew about despair Chisa?
* Ok. The whole concept of despair Chisa is very, very depressing. I think only Despair Chiaki would be more depressing.
* I don't understand how people are saying "nothing happened" in this episode. Munakata turned face. The Future Foundation - or what's left of the executives - is finally united. Nagito's theoretical two hopes have joined forces.

Maybe Izuru, possessing the power of ultimate imposter, is among the group. Maybe he's Mitarai! Aoi!

Danganronpa doesn't seem to have rules at this point, which is a little sad.

Is it confirmed that both Future and Despair will have 12 episodes? Because right now it feels a bit weird if they end with the Despair side.

Pretty good episode overall. Everything they revealed was called way ahead of time so none of it was surprising even though it was nice to finally see play out.

I haven't been invested in the Naegi Vs. Munakata conflict at all, but I really liked the way that they showed that destroying despair still doesn't create hope so I wished they'd played that aspect up a lot more beforehand. Makoto finally got to do his thing and it was great to see him acting more like his usual self for a change.

What I didn't really like was how Munakata basically just did a 180 on his insane crusade because Makoto told him that he shouldn't forget Chisa. That was bad.
Makoto entertaining the idea of killing Kyoko was strange too.

Permanently A

No, I mean the stuff that keeps coming out of people when they're hurt in Future, like the stuff that came out of Naegi's face this episode. It's only in Future; Despair has blood come out, as it should, but Future has ketchup for whatever reason.

Kodaka said it was because tone of Future arc was darker.

I think it was literally just so the ketchup prank would work.

I'm curious who is going to be the next attacker, because you just know that it is going to end with one of the survivors defying the anime and not killing themselves. I wonder if it would be Ryota? That would definitely make the most sense, thematically.

NeonZ

I disagree with the mind control theory too. Kyoko apparently learned the killer's identity but didn't reveal it before dying, which only makes sense if she was trying to hide the information from someone. Asahina also believes that the killings will stop based on learning the killer's identity from Kyoko's notes, which only makes sense if it's a single person.

Tengan lied to Munakata. His "Is that a question? If so I must answer it." was a way to deflect Munakata's question and avoid disobeying his NG code. He answered Munakata's question with the first bit, and then lied afterwards, avoiding his rule about not lying when answering questions.

Even if Chiaki is alive then where the hell is she. I'd assume if shes alive shes being protected by the good guys because her being in danganronpa 2 meant the ai was modeled off of her. So did they just guess what kind of person she was/is? Which also makes me wonder if shes dead who filled in the blanks on what she was like? Someone close to her? The only people we've seen close to her is class 77, Chisa and Izuru.

We don't know who is the 16th participant in the killing game or the leader of Future Foundation's 13th branch. Frontline Food and Resource Distribution doesn't sound like something related to Chiaki though, but if she's alive I think that's the only position left for her.

Vamphuntr

Another "let's stretch it for a while longer episode". Naegi's platitudes worked at last! I won't have to hear another endless rant about hope vs despair hopefully. Best part of the episode were the pictures on Chisa's corpse.

On the whole Tengan's answer thing, it was probably vague enough to not trigger his NG code hopefully. It better not be the magic anime again.

Also why would Kyoko make it so she dies on her notebook. So the people find it 5 minutes after she dies with the truth in it? She could have told everyone before dying. Unless it's a fake like the fake suicide letter/will in DR1?

Chase17

Another "let's stretch it for a while longer episode". Naegi's platitudes worked at last! I won't have to hear another endless rant about hope vs despair hopefully. Best part of the episode were the pictures on Chisa's corpse.

On the whole Tengan's answer thing, it was probably vague enough to not trigger his NG code hopefully. It better not be the magic anime again.

Also why would Kyoko make it so she dies on her notebook. So the people find it 5 minutes after she dies with the truth in it? She could have told everyone before dying. Unless it's a fake like the fake suicide letter/will in DR1?

We'll see about that!

If they are bringing back Kyoko they should have just done it this episode.

So apparently there's a quiz in the DR3 website to see which DR2 character matches you.
http://www.nbcuni.co.jp/anime/danganronpa3/special/index02000000.html
Translation: http://jinjojess.tumblr.com/post/150122298508/which-77th-class-member-are-you-most-compatible
Since I'm pretty normal I was expecting either Hajime, Chiaki or Mahiru, and I got Mahiru! :D

Eh, I think AA has great music too. and (I think I may be alone in this lol) I prefer longer investigations. AA1 Case 5 and the last case of Investigations are some of my favorite cases from the series. Plus, showing evidence to any character you meet and getting a unique conversation is pretty cool.

Yeah I sometimes feel like that too xD I'm liking Ryota and his journey in Despair so far even though I think a lot of fans dislike it, but it's always great to see other opinions.
result14.png

Oh... okay...

Luigi87

Well I'm glad they didn't wait to show that Chisa killed those children, because it was pretty obvious the moment that flashback happened.

This will all lead up to Chiaki being the true mastermind and Hajizuru on his way to stop and save her from Despair.

1) I'm pretty sure the remnants are going to end up rescuing the surviving FF members.
2) I think Chisa is definitely still alive. final goal will probably be recovering her from despair.
3) I expect Ryota, Tengan, Gozu, or some combination of the three are in cahoots with Chisa.
4) Chisa is most likely the mastermind.

1) I'm pretty sure the remnants are going to end up rescuing the surviving FF members.
2) I think Chisa is definitely still alive. final goal will probably be recovering her from despair.
3) I expect Ryota, Tengan, Gozu, or some combination of the three are in cahoots with Chisa.
4) Chisa is most likely the mastermind.

My theory is that Tengan is bad, but he has nothing to do with the plot. He's a bad guy being targeted by the other bad guys.

At this point I think that Gozu probably isn't despair UNLESS he is one of the two suspect survivors.

Ryota seems to be the most likely candidate for present mastermind.

As for Chisa... it's interesting. She definitely could not have died for the same reason that Gozu, Seiko, and Ruruka did (assuming the theory holds water), since she would have already been tainted by despair. So she's either alive, or she was killed via some other method.

Imagine if the note Kirigiri had says: "11037"

Chihiro's the mastermind, he's good with numbers

Red Frost

Banned
I don't think there's any way the Aoi/Chisa theory works now. If Kyoko really knows the traitor, she wouldn't want a despairified Chisa finding the notebook. I'd say those tears also seemed genuine, though that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Only way it could work is if the notebook is a decoy. Otherwise, seems like all that subtle dialogue foreshadowing was meaningless and the height differences/other weird physical stuff were indeed animation errors.

I think ryota is involved, but not the mastermind. Given his whole arc has been being a weakling who has ahare time standing up for himself, knows this, but believes he lacks the ability to actually change himself and only keeps running

Style

Banned
We still don't know Mitarai's NG Code. We still don't know Mitarai's NG Code... It must not have been that important since Munakata has seen everyone's now and he hasn't talked about it, yet with how it's the last one unknown I think something is up.

2eUJu6j.png

They should give Munakata the Ultimate Imposter title by now.

EDIT: Mitarai being the only DGR3 in that maze event beside Chisa/Munakata (who are obviously big characters) just makes him even more suspicious. He's going to have a big role isn't he.

Luigi87

Well the reveal of Tengan's answer pretty much solves the game.
They're killing themselves after being brainwashed by the Monokuma monitors.

[.IMG]http://pm1.narvii.com/6157/cfb569c028e27181e571bda1868e406ce87ec9f2_hq.jpg[/IMG]

[.IMG]https://67.media.tumblr.com/9e026ac6df29c7e635ffdd3feb5b1f01/tumblr_inline_obm18i4ZWZ1rlt0ey_540.png[/IMG]

[.IMG]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/X1hCce-G-0k/maxresdefault.jpg[/IMG]

[.IMG]https://65.media.tumblr.com/abb2e4f4f255da7bfc6f6c643a34e002/tumblr_inline_od1hu2hkdX1sp42dz_540.png[/IMG]

There's a monitor in every room.
That... makes sense.
Especially since Despair arc is ultimately leading up to the mass suicide from the brainwashed Reserve Course students.

But yeah, the likelihood of Chisa being the mastermind is all too high now.
Already multiple ways there could be a fake Chisa (robot, or a really well done body double as seen is possible in Killer Killer). And of course that first scene of Despair arc. Heck, ignoring how random that scene felt, Chisa's whole reaction was peculiar compared to her personality.
... and of course scenes that seem like nothing turn out to be important (IE: Monokuma killing Jin in DR1's beginning. You don't really think about it at the time other than it being something to set the tone of the game).

GSR

My main issue with the suicide theory is that the bodies seem to wind up in situations that are difficult if not impossible to be suicide. So if it is suicide then there's got to be someone adjusting the bodies after the fact. (Or that's just ignored because of the Power of Despair.)

Kind of a nothingburger episode in terms of plot advancement. Good to see Makoto get back to actually doing things but other than Tengan giving the world's most cryptic answer there wasn't much mystery-solving going on. It probably wouldn't feel that blatant if it hadn't ended on the double "I KNOW WHO THE ATTACKER IS"/Jabberwock tease.

Also - I know the series has always been over-the-top but this ep really drove home how meaningless the words "hope" and "despair" are now, especially the latter. The way they treat "despair" as some kind of magic mega-evil-creating virus is honestly just silly and not really in a good way. It's basically their catch-all "bad things" word.

Luigi87

Also - I know the series has always been over-the-top but this ep really drove home how meaningless the words "hope" and "despair" are now, especially the latter. The way they treat "despair" as some kind of magic mega-evil-creating virus is honestly just silly and not really in a good way. It's basically their catch-all "bad things" word.

And that's exactly why Monaca said FTS and went to space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom