• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mendrox

This won't happen, but this TVtropes theory is going to be my head canon:

I could live with that asspull but it won't happen and we will be disappointed that nothing makes sense.

It blew my mind that Chiaki was still able to breath or move at all and for so long.

Edit: Also Izuru is so boring. Doesn't do shit and there is no time anymore for him doing shit at all.

Stalk

I'm enjoying it as a sort of popcorn story. I was never expecting much out of this (I don't feel the games offer that truly deep a narrative or characters either really, they're just fun) but so far it's smashing my expectations. I saw despair 10 coming the moment despair 9 ended though.

Chisa is the one who was controlling Monokuma at the end of DR1 I feel.

Mendrox

Morning after last night

Nope, still not over it.

As far as I can see online people got destroyed by this episode.

The music made everything more creepy for me (and well I watched it at night) and the end of the episode was fucking crazy mit everyone smiling and having swirly eyes good lord.

Chase17

Juzu: "Well, Junko was completely innocent". Munakata's response:
200.gif

Ryan_MSF

As far as I can see online people got destroyed by this episode.

The music made everything more creepy for me (and well I watched it at night) and the end of the episode was fucking crazy mit everyone smiling and having swirly eyes good lord.

Destroyed is a pretty accurate representation haha! I'm not sure if you guys are familiar with a guy on youtube called NicoB, but he's been reviewing the episodes each week, and his reaction to the final scenes pretty much echoed my own.

Zaru

Morning after last night

Nope, still not over it.

I mean, we all expected it to happen. We knew about the likely fate since DR2 years ago.

And I thought "well this wasn't so bad".
But then she kept going.
And trying.
Suffering.

KODAKAAAAAAAAAAAA

Ryan_MSF

I mean, we all expected it to happen. We knew about the likely fate since DR2 years ago.

And I thought "well this wasn't so bad".
But then she kept going.
And trying.
Suffering.

KODAKAAAAAAAAAAAA

It was the trying to get up. She was so determined. No amount of knowing this would happen prepared me for what we actually saw. :_:

I want to say it's not that Despair's plotting is, inherently, problematic; it's that it hasn't done right by its characters. It hasn't done right by the DR2 Cast, it hasn't done right by the Cast of Future, hell it hasn't even done right by Junko. It's just a bunch of poor players being put through their paces because the plot of Future demands it, and it just feels infuriating to me. There's nothing in Despair executed well that couldn't have been contextualized as flashback in Future.

Just T

Despair Volume: 9

Well that's unfortunate for Chisa. Mitarai too, still wondering what they trying to do with this character.

Future Volume: 10

Really good episode. Ah, those flashbacks in the beginning were too bittersweet. Good to see Naegi get something done this episode though, finally Munakata calmed down, he been doing too much since the first episode. And sheesh Chisa with those pictures. Wonder who could be leaving the island besides Izuru, don't let it be the whole DR2 cast, don't need that.

Despair Volume: 10

Idk about this one. What happened to Chiaki was sad, not surprising in the least but still tragic scenes. How she was moving at the end though, surprised she could even talk but moving too, girl had some willpower. The whole brainwashing the DR2 cast wasn't really surprising either after episode 9 plus since the incident with Mahiru's friend and Fuyuhiko's sister amounted to absolutely nothing in regards to them figured it would be some crap that turned the cast but not done like that. Why couldn't they move? Shit made no sense. Mukuro had to mess with Chisa's head but they just standing there. And why is under the school so big, when did she even build all that stuff lol. Ah, and found out why Munakata took Juzo out, sucks for Juzo, it's still fuck both of them though. Annoying ass characters.

One thing that really bugs me about the way they've portrayed class 77 falling into despair is how unimportant they've been to the actual plot line. Only Mikan and Nagito really know about Junko so everyone else is just kind of thrust into the whole situation so abruptly. They literally have no idea what's going on and just go out to find Chisa, but end up brainwashed.

Nightbird

I just noticed that I didn't wrote down how I feel about the episode.

Quick Bullet points:

- First, I don't like how nobody noticed how Mikan has changed her behavior. While still timid, she didn't panicked and started apologizing like crazy like she always did when she acted on her own, or be terribly shocked when being insulted by Hiyoko.
I mean, it's not even something that would hinder the progress of the story, the class would have one reason more to go after the person who did something to Mikan.

- While I think that it's dumb that Juzo let Junko go like that (and thus allowed the second killing game to happen), I like that the reveal of Juzo being gay. That's more a personal thing, but every piece of media that doesn't portrays LGBT people in ridiculous or stereotypical fashion gets extra points for me.

- Tbh, the death of Chiaki was gruesome and heavy, but the gut wrenching feeling of Despair I was expecting when this series began was not there. Sure, I'm sad that my favorite character of the series died again (I'm also sad/mad that because of that stupid avatar bet I can wear the chiaki avatar that I planned to have for exactly this occasion), but at this point I wasn't feeling anything beyond that. It was more a "it finally happend!" kind of feel.

- The class falling into despair like that is something I can honestly accept. I don't really see how anything else would have worked better with one more episode.
Also, we got to see Nagito being Nagito, and while I hated him in DR2 for that, I can say that I started enjoy his shenanigans. He's alright, while still crazy haha

-And finally, I think I'm just as bored of Izuru as he is of everything else. At least be did show another emotion than what seemed to be confusion about what he is supposed to be doing where ever he was, so that good.

Well, I think sums it up.

Good episode.

Burbeting

Banned
Idk how to feel about Juzo. On the other hand it's nice to see an LGBT character in a nine who is not a joke char, but his motivations seem so weird. "This girl is literally using an army and more or less killed all of Student Council? Better not tell anyone, or my crush will know about my feelings."

It just felt forced.

I assume someone brought this up, but when Izuru was talking to Nagito on the boat, did he make any statements that absolutely noted that he was bringing the Monokuma virus to the NWP? Could it be that instead, he brings AI Chiaki? Given the fact that he obviously feels pained about Chiaki's death, it would stand to reason that he would want to save her classmates - and who better to do that than Chiaki?

- First, I don't like how nobody noticed how Mikan has changed her behavior. While still timid, she didn't panicked and started apologizing like crazy like she always did when she acted on her own, or be terribly shocked when being insulted by Hiyoko.
I mean, it's not even something that would hinder the progress of the story, the class would have one reason more to go after the person who did something to Mikan.

To be fair, no one except Nagito noticed that Impostor was acting strangely, and since he was injured whenever he saw Mikan, he may not have been able to think about that.

Idk how to feel about Juzo. On the other hand it's nice to see an LGBT character in a nine who is not a joke char, but his motivations seem so weird. "This girl is literally using an army and more or less killed all of Student Council? Better not tell anyone, or my crush will know about my feelings."

It just felt forced.

It was a little extreme, but Juzo being gay and self-loathing is an all-too-common problem. It's especially the case in Japan, where being openly gay is shameful af, especially for someone like him who is a national icon.

I assume someone brought this up, but when Izuru was talking to Nagito on the boat, did he make any statements that absolutely noted that he was bringing the Monokuma virus to the NWP? Could it be that instead, he brings AI Chiaki? Given the fact that he obviously feels pained about Chiaki's death, it would stand to reason that he would want to save her classmates - and who better to do that than Chiaki?

To be fair, no one except Nagito noticed that Impostor was acting strangely, and since he was injured whenever he saw Mikan, he may not have been able to think about that.

It was a little extreme, but Juzo being gay and self-loathing is an all-too-common problem. It's especially the case in Japan, where being openly gay is shameful af, especially for someone like him who is a national icon.

I like this a lot. However what would be the deal with Future Hajime looking defiant at the ships coming to Jabberwock?

Permanently A

It just felt forced.

I feel like the implications of his homosexuality being outed are a lot worse than that. It would be a scandal for Munakata as well as Juzo and Juzo would have to stop being Munakata's right hand man otherwise the tabloids would go crazy. Faced with the option of ruining his entire life and losing the ability to dedicate himself to the man he loves vs letting some bitch go, I feel like Juzo is so blindly and selfishly loyal to Munakata that he would always choose the first option.

Jubern

Just finished watching with the gf and we both agreed this was garbage and we'd have been much better without the Despair side. At all.

Our feeling is that they wanted to do something clever by intertwining the future story with the origin, but that two problems emerged:
- While not having it seen directly, the viewers would have already known about how it went down before it started,
- By virtue of this being a one cour anime, it was pretty much impossible to get enough screen time for each character while also developing the intertwined story.
So they invented something else, more convenient.

I've seen people saying "but you know, she always said they were just chumps!" but that's not the point I'm making.
Junko was presented as some kind of mastermind and class 77's fall to despaired was first depicted as something a lot more akin to what she did to Mitarai in a previous episode and to Juzo here.

And here we're learning that the single most important part of the world destruction was a hypnotizing video.

Nohar

Juzo is redeemed in my eyes. While he is still a jerk, at least the anime gave him sympathetic traits, and in the end I sympathize with him.

As for the episode itself... I'll just say that this anime completely retcons DR2 and that I dislike some of the shortcuts and plot devices it uses. As far as I'm concerned, I'm in the Fanon Discontinuity camp.

Kalor

Chiaki must be stronger than Mukuro if she was able to survive all the traps and spikes and still live to talk to Izaru for a few minutes.

Taruranto

Doesn't I.A. Chiaki refers to Alter Ego as her "brother" (Who in turn refers to Fujisaki as their "father") and Monomi as her "sister"? Unless Izuru created all fo them, it is unlikely.

Also, I don't think Izuru feeling for Chiaki are really that simple, they are more like, a background noise he can't ignore. It was to show the audience Hinata still there and he isn't completely gone.

Something bothers me by the way, how come Junko didn't realize I.A. Chiaki was the traitor immediately, in DR2? Since she herself offed the original one...

I can sympathize with Juzo, but Junko is basically a mass murder, he knows she killed and she plans to kill again, he has the blood on every student she will murder after that point on his hands. So... fuck him.

FStubbs

She sure was athletic for someone who spent 12 hours with a Game Girl in her hands.

She spends 12 hours with a Game Girl in her hands while walking.

Doesn't I.A. Chiaki refers to Alter Ego as her "brother" (Who in turn refers to Fujisaki as their "father") and Monomi as her "sister"? Unless Izuru created all fo them, it is unlikely.

Also, I don't think Izuru feeling for Chiaki are really that simple, they are more like, a background noise he can't ignore. It was to show the audience Hinata still there and he isn't completely gone.

Something bothers me by the way, how come Junko didn't realize I.A. Chiaki was the traitor immediately, in DR2? Since she herself offed the original one...

I can sympathize with Juzo, but Junko is basically a mass murder, he knows she killed and she plans to kill again, he has the blood on every student she will murder after that point on his hands. So... fuck him.

It's been a little while, but I thought AI Junko knew who the traitor was.

I'm surprised Juzo didn't call her bluff. I was expecting her to brainwash him and then have him go back and say "there's nothing to Junko".

I don't think Juzo was scared of Munakata finding out he was gay for him - I think he was scared of Munakata finding out he stalked him.

There were quite a few arbitrary rules that Junko had to follow in the simulation as "headmaster" of the killing school trip. One of those is that she "can't interfere directly with the students" unless a rule is broken. Perhaps revealing that Chiaki is not one of the students falls under that rule. Regardless, even without the context of DR3, I think it was obvious that she knew.

pbayne

Despair 10

What Juzo got beat that easily? I know he was surrounded but he's the ultimate boxer+the fact that ultimate are already pretty much superhuman so i thought he'd annihilate anyone normal in his way. Plus Junko can't put up that much of a physical fight right?

FStubbs

Despair 10

What Juzo got beat that easily? I know he was surrounded but he's the ultimate boxer+the fact that ultimate are already pretty much superhuman so i thought he'd annihilate anyone normal in his way. Plus Junko can't put up that much of a physical fight right?

Zerg rush.

Shouta

I really want to see Kodaka do an asspull so Chiaki and Kyoko are alive. At this point, there's nothing that DR3 can do to make it good so at least give us the happy ending we all want.

FluxWaveZ

I really want to see Kodaka do an asspull so Chiaki and Kyoko are alive. At this point, there's nothing that DR3 can do to make it good so at least give us the happy ending we all want.

But what I want is an ending where everyone dies and the world descends into chaos anew.

Kyoko ain't dead. Wouldn't be surprised if Chiaki isn't either. Hell, Chisa is probably still alive too.

No waifus are dead. Boring-kun, Naegi and Narukami will be happy.

FStubbs

Kyoko ain't dead. Wouldn't be surprised if Chiaki isn't either. Hell, Chisa is probably still alive too.

No waifus are dead. Boring-kun, Naegi and Narukami will be happy.

Well, Yasuhiro predicted Chisa and Kyoko would be alive in the end at least.

Chisa is almost literally Ultimate Waifu and Chiaki is an ultimate waifu type - what's Kyoko?

Ryan_MSF

I love this.

SephLuis

Despair 10

Going by the little I read of DG Zero, Junko is strong. Mostly because of her ability, she can predict any attack that would come and she has enough skill to properly dodge and hit people. So she probably dodge everything Juzo could do and hit him with a bat.

Also, I might be remembering DG2 wrong, but I though Chiaki was alive then and not an AI. Being the only member of Future Foundation and all. I thought she was in a coma like the rest.

Shouta

Going by the little I read of DG Zero, Junko is strong. Mostly because of her ability, she can predict any attack that would come and she has enough skill to properly dodge and hit people. So she probably dodge everything Juzo could do and hit him with a bat.

Also, I might be remembering DG2 wrong, but I though Chiaki was alive then and not an AI. Being the only member of Future Foundation and all. I thought she was in a coma like the rest.

Sakakura also fought a bunch of Reserve students as well. It's likely she got him while he was fighting the others. We also see him on the ground, as I recall.

FStubbs

One thing about Chiaki being a part of Future Foundation -

- as much as I'd like for her to be the secret 13th, how would she not have immediately outed Chisa as despair?

... unless she's the mastermind. :/

SephLuis

Sakakura also fought a bunch of Reserve students as well. It's likely she got him while he was fighting the others. We also see him on the ground, as I recall.

Yeah, we only see him and a bunch of Reserve students on the ground. However, he also came punching a whole lot of them, so it's unclear if any actually would participate in this fight. I guess even if not, he couldn't have won against Junko anyway.

Mendrox

lol Hopeman already woke up because he was lucky

Wouldn't surprise me if that happened, because in DR2 Monokuma said that the people that realized that this is a simulation and died have a higher chance of surviving.

What if Nagitos "suicide" woke him up to because he is just lucky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom