• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's still hope guys
53h5zhpikslx.png

Red Frost

Banned
how do you even do that, she enjoys it when her carefully laid plans crumble, she couldn't wait to experience death, she'd probably get high on despair if you tortured her......

what can you really do to Junko?

Yeah, it's a dilemma :/

Maybe just boredom? Lock her in a room with nothing for the rest of her life? But I'm sure she'd find a way to enjoy how much despair is involved in that, idk.

She's a fascinating character, but man does it suck that there's no way to really give her her comeuppance.

If Izuru is there creator of Chiaki's AI (certainly a possibility considering the fact that he has done nothing wrong so far) the question remains why he infects the NWP with the Junko AI.

The only thing I can think of is that he wanted it to be as personal as possible. I know that such characterization is not compliant with what we have seen of him so far, but both DR2 and DRAE make clear that he wanted to get compensation against her. For what exactly, I don't know; he seems unfazed as being used as the scapegoat for the Reserve Course hatred. I hope his reason isn't Chiaki's death, but I have a feeling it will play like that.

As for why he decided to go with his convoluted plan instead of simply destroying the mainboards he extracted from the Kumas? Maybe he wanted to get rid of the Remnants of Despair, the tentacles of Junko's will after her death as a final fuck you to her?

Tecl0n

As for why he decided to go with his convoluted plan instead of simply destroying the mainboards he extracted from the Kumas? Maybe he wanted to get rid of the Remnants of Despair, the tentacles of Junko's will after her death as a final fuck you to her?

"They didn't save her thus they may as well have killed her" syndrome.

FStubbs

heh something cool that's DR3 related.

LRTxKUu.png

This is the main character of Danganronpa V3, Kaede Amamatsu. She is voiced by Sayaka Kanda who not only played Junko and Mukuro on stage, but is also half of TRUSTRICK and sings the opening theme, Dead or Lie, of DR3 Future.

Despair Sonia!

FStubbs

Yeah, it's a dilemma :/

Maybe just boredom? Lock her in a room with nothing for the rest of her life? But I'm sure she'd find a way to enjoy how much despair is involved in that, idk.

She's a fascinating character, but man does it suck that there's no way to really give her her comeuppance.

Sure there is.

Lock her in a room with non-Despair Teruteru.

Or give Ryoko a chance to erase her in a battle of the minds. Junko getting destroyed internally by her own hope would be a fitting end.

PaulBizkit

I hope chiaki's not dead, but she probably is. That final Izuru-Chiaki scene was tremendous, i didn't want the episode to end.
Kodaka is such a hack. Since he faked Aoi's death, he now makes me believe that "Kyoko/Chiaki can't be dead, she is way more important than Aoi and she survived".

The hope that came with Aoi has transformed into Despair for Kyoko and Chiaki. Kodhacka is the next Hideo Trolljima.

tookhster

I'm disappointed that they never show how
Junko has the time to set up these execution rooms and all that. She was just dealing with Juzo and right before that she managed to brainwash hundreds of students all at once. How the fuck is she managing to do all this? Meanwhile Hope's Peak apparently doesn't give a fuck and only sent one guy to do something about it, and he won't turn Junko, a mass murderer, in because he's too embarrassed about liking his best friend? Really?

Speaking of execution rooms, why was this one so long and gruesome? Didn't match any of the game's execution styles. I got excited when they showed Chiaki's face using the execution graphics but they didn't do anything with it afterwards. And how the fuck do you survive that? Just so she can say "I don't wanna die" for some cheap emotion.

And don't get me started on the "brainwashing" when it's not even the brainwashing they were using before. So by watching one of their classmates die the students all turn into psychopaths?

Ugh. I'm not mad at the anime itself, it's just that the story just took a shit all over DR2.

Rich!

I'm disappointed that they never show how Junko has the time to set up these execution rooms and all that. She was just dealing with Juzo and right before that she managed to brainwash hundreds of students all at once. How the fuck is she managing to do all this?

Monaca Towa for the robotics/construction and the Steering Committee giving her free reign.

how much shit is even below Hope's Peak anyway? Despair has the classic problem of exposition and trying to explain stuff actually just making it more confusing and dumber.

I think in the end Despair has totally not justified it's existence. Every detail it tries to fill in just makes the series dumber and dumber; it has no idea who to focus on half the time, and it's obliterated any nuance of what Hope vs Despair mean introduced from DR2 onward to return to cartoonish supervillain. Junko's now some sadistic bitch with existential ennui who destroys the world with a needlessly convoluted scheme (which I mean is unavoidable in itself), but it's all bullshit SCIENCE in the name of evul and lulz. You have Hope's Peak, offering up how superficial Hope tramples and hurts people, and Junko proceeds to do FUCK ALL with it.

Like, am I giving Kodaka too much credit in suggesting he is intentionally not putting that much effort into writing Despair? (And to a lesser extent Future) It seems obvious he never thought about the specifics of the backstory so just went with the most rote options available while having space for cameos from Future Arc. I just... it's just kind of depressing honestly.

Hard to watch, but I think that was the right path to go down. Not ruling out a last minute Chiaki is the 13th Branch Head swerve, but this seems like the natural progression for what they were setting up. The more outlandish elements and the weird logistics don't bother me much, because the series has always had a very lax attitude towards those types of things.

As for Juzo though, I really hope that isn't the end of his story. I generally don't care for the "asshole" archetype that each installment likes to serve up, but I do feel bad for him in particular.

Red Frost

Banned
Like, am I giving Kodaka too much credit in suggesting he is intentionally not putting that much effort into writing Despair? (And to a lesser extent Future) It seems obvious he never thought about the specifics of the backstory so just went with the most rote options available while having space for cameos from Future Arc. I just... it's just kind of depressing honestly.

It's just Kodaka's revenge for being made to work on the saga for longer than he wanted to. Basically a "here's your damn conclusion, now stop asking!" kind of mindset.

I think after 3 games, we know where his writing strengths lie, and he's more than capable of writing a character's fall to the dark side via external factors. He's also good at writing characters actually capable of manipulation, as was the case with Monaca and game Junko. Despair side should have been that, but more in depth, something that Kodaka should really be able to do.

I think he also flat out wasn't given the time or format to do it. An 11 episode anime (that's not even 4 hours) that acted as a backstory for not only the entire series, but the sister anime airing alongside it just isn't going to work if you want to flesh out some things. That coupled with disinterest just had him say "fuck it" and utilized a cop-out so he could get the plot outline over with and move onto V3 while handing off responsibility of the 3 script to the staff at Lerche.

Akibared

Man that was fucking brutal I knew it was going to happen but I didn't think she was going to go like that. That was harder to watch than her original execution I really need a hug.

ChrisD

Just got around to watching.

Just...

Screw
Chisa

The child picture in Future 10 and then that in Despair 10.

The talking everything up just beforehand made it so much worse. :(

She's dead. I'm not going to expect them to pull a Kyoko on her. Chiaki is done, that's all there is to it. I'm still expecting them to bring Kyoko back through magic medicine.

The punishment was disturbing. Not as much as Chisa's brainwashing, but disturbing nonetheless. The impaling was absolutely brutal.. The false hope of GOAL made it too obvious it'd be a trap, but dang. THAT overboard. :(

Really hope they delve further into Junko actually "training" the Ultimate Despairs in next week's episode -- even show a few minutes of her exploiting one of the classmates weaknesses. It's still entirely possible to right many wrongs made, just through that. It would then go without saying that she touched on each person. Do I expect it?... No, not really. But it'd make Despair Arc loop back into the games without so many plot changes.

FluxWaveZ

I understand their fall to despair but how did they love Junko so much?
I dont understand that part

Yeah, I made a post about that before, but the DR3 method to the madness means that there's kind of a plot hole regarding why the Despair army specifically revolved around Junko and not the concept of despair. Again, it could just be that, as the Ultimate Despair, they see her as the physical manifestation of their ideals. But it does feel like there's a missing element, considering the fact that everyone was supposed to be so obsessed with Junko to then claim her body parts after her death.

Razmos

Yeah, I made a post about that before, but the DR3 method to the madness means that there's kind of a plot hole regarding why the Despair army specifically revolved around Junko and not the concept of despair. Again, it could just be that, as the Ultimate Despair, they see her as the physical manifestation of their ideals. But it does feel like there's a missing element, considering the fact that everyone was supposed to be so obsessed with Junko to then claim her body parts after her death.
Isn't she also the ultimate fashionista? Perhaps it ties into that

FluxWaveZ

Isn't she also the ultimate fashionista? Perhaps it ties into that

I always thought her being the Ultimate Fashionista was simply an extension of the goals she wanted to reach by using her abilities as an Ultimate Analyst. Fashion is a very influential element in society, so being one of the most recognized people for that element would grant her control. The power to subtly bend mass amounts of people to her will, starting with something as relatively mundane as fashion.

It's why I thought that, naturally, this would then tie into a charisma she would wield to cause people to want to follow her anywhere and do anything for her. I always thought of it as being obsessed with Junko first and despair second, but it seems that the story is making it to be the other way around.

Red Frost

Banned
I always thought her being the Ultimate Fashionista was simply an extension of the goals she wanted to reach by using her abilities as an Ultimate Analyst. Fashion is a very influential element in society, so being one of the most recognized people for that element would grant her control. The power to subtly bend mass amounts of people to her will, starting with something as relatively mundane as fashion.

In Japan, she's the Ultimate Gyaru, which isn't exactly some super influential title. She could have used her analytical ability to pierce more prominent subsections of fashion in addition to other fields like stocks and maybe even higher positions in the entertainment industry.

Rich!

Oh, lol.
My memory sucks.

Still, glad they used it. :p Like his signature in my mind.

Not only that - he's outright said earlier in the series to Chisa that he wants to see hope and hope collide....which is basically what Chisa said to munakata in future 1.

Still think nagito is the big bad here. He survived the island killing life by pure luck and awoke. He escaped Jabberwock....by pure luck, leaving Hajime, Sonia, Soda, Akane and Kuzuryu stranded. He set up the killing game with help from Chisa and his old contact Monaca, directly targeting the Future Foundation and the true hope that placed him and the others into the game. The brainwashing monitors force each participant to kill themeselves, and Mitarai's bracelet forces him to help during sleeping hours via instructions on his phone. Being weak willed, he is unable to break away and risk his own life - hence why he envies Makoto so much.

Nagito's goal is to make hope and hope collide to create a steeping stone for the future (munakata and Naegi). He banks on Munakata sending forces to Jabberwock, but his bad luck means the DR2 survivors including Hajime in Izuru mode manage to hijack a ship back to FF to stop him and save Naegi and Munakata, redeeming themselves.

And all through this, Izuru does not kill a single person.

Copy and save this post guys, because I'm pretty certain of it happening!

Thoraxes

Between the Chisa pictures from Future and this episode... I thought I was ready before I watched this week's Despair episode, but holy fucking shit man.

I can't. I just want to lay down and sleep.

ChrisD

Not only that - he's outright said earlier in the series to Chisa that he wants to see hope and hope collide....which is basically what Chisa said to munakata in future 1.

Still think nagito is the big bad here. He survived the island killing life by pure luck and awoke. He escaped Jabberwock....by pure luck, leaving Hajime, Sonia, Soda, Akane and Kuzuryu stranded. He set up the killing game with help from Chisa and his old contact Monaca, directly targeting the Future Foundation and the true hope that placed him and the others into the game. The brainwashing monitors force each participant to kill themeselves, and Mitarai's bracelet forces him to help during sleeping hours via instructions on his phone. Being weak willed, he is unable to break away and risk his own life - hence why he envies Makoto so much.

Nagito's goal is to make hope and hope collide to create a steeping stone for the future (munakata and Naegi). He banks on Munakata sending forces to Jabberwock, but his bad luck means the DR2 survivors including Hajime in Izuru mode manage to hijack a ship back to FF to stop him and save Naegi and Munakata, redeeming themselves.

And all through this, Izuru does not kill a single person.

Copy and save this post guys, because I'm pretty certain of it happening!

I'd be okay with the entirety of Future being a Nagito concoction. Doesn't even have to be THE Mastermind with his Good/Bad luck.

Nagito >>>>>>> Junko in every aspect, even before DR3

Rich!

I'd be okay with the entirety of Future being a Nagito concoction. Doesn't even have to be THE Mastermind with his Good/Bad luck.

Nagito >>>>>>> Junko in every aspect, even before DR3

There's been too many clues for it not to be nagito.

Most blatant being Monaca. When she explained being fed up of Nagito's insane ramblings, I assume we are purposefully being led to believe it was during AE. Nah, she met him recently.

Rich!

Man, everything is hidden away under Hope's Peak. How the hell did she have time to build all this stuff underground?

Monaca Towa and the unrestricted access given by the Steering committee.

The Monokuma in the trial room last ep implies taking place way after Junko first met Towa corp....or at the very least just after it in the initial planning/prototype stages.

In Junkos first episode in Despair she was shown designing Monokuma on a sketchpad. Now she has an inactive (?) prototype.

Thoraxes

Also 10/10 performance from Kanahana, god damn.
Just got around to watching.

Just...

Screw
Chisa

The child picture in Future 10 and then that in Despair 10.

The talking everything up just beforehand made it so much worse. :(

She's dead. I'm not going to expect them to pull a Kyoko on her. Chiaki is done, that's all there is to it. I'm still expecting them to bring Kyoko back through magic medicine.

The punishment was disturbing. Not as much as Chisa's brainwashing, but disturbing nonetheless. The impaling was absolutely brutal.. The false hope of GOAL made it too obvious it'd be a trap, but dang. THAT overboard. :(

Really hope they delve further into Junko actually "training" the Ultimate Despairs in next week's episode -- even show a few minutes of her exploiting one of the classmates weaknesses. It's still entirely possible to right many wrongs made, just through that. It would then go without saying that she touched on each person. Do I expect it?... No, not really. But it'd make Despair Arc loop back into the games without so many plot changes.

I feel like now that we've come this far, it's only fair to get a near-full episode of the
Despairs killing everyone
everywhere.

Monaca Towa and the unrestricted access given by the Steering committee.

The Monokuma in the trial room last ep implies taking place way after Junko first met Towa corp....or at the very least just after it in the initial planning/prototype stages.

In Junkos first episode in Despair she was shown designing Monokuma on a sketchpad. Now she has an inactive (?) prototype.

According to DR IF, Monokuma uses some system designed by Chihiro, which had he lived past the second chapter, he would had realized it was using a system he hadn't finished, or so he thinks.

Red Frost

Banned
This won't happen, but this TVtropes theory is going to be my head canon:

After episode 10 of Side:Despair, Izuru is able to revive Chiaki's body, using his Ultimate Nurse, Doctor, and Scientist talents. However, since he was unable to revive her in time, Chiaki is left in a comatose state. Izuru would spends years trying to figure out why this girl interest him so much, all the while protecting Chiaki's comatose body from the chaos of the tragedy. After finding out about the New World Program, which would be in the hands of the Future Foundation, he can up with a plan to regain his lost memories and revive Chiaki's mind:
First, he would need to acquire AI Junko.
Second, he gather all the Ultimate Despairs from Class 77-B in one place, either by convincing them or forcing them. Since the Ultimate Despairs are from Class 77-B, Izuru knew an AI Chiaki would be created by Alter Ego and used as a monitor.
Next, he would contact Naegi, knowing he would be the only Future Foundation that would be willing to put them through the Neo World Program. He would then insert AI Junko into the program. AI Junko's purpose was to cause a forced shutdown and rewrite the Neo World Program so that the data of AI Chiaki and the Ultimate Despair that killed would be saved. Evidence of this is the "deceased" character appearing while the program was glitching, AI Chiaki appearing within Hajime's mind, and her final goodbye at the end DR2.
After the force shutdown Izuru would have both the memories of both Hajime and Izuru, the data of AI Chiaki and the other "killed" Ultimate Despairs, and the technology of the Neo World Program in his possession. Using the the comatose Ultimate Despairs as guinea pigs, he would figure out who to use the Neo World Program to restore a brain dead person.
Finally, he would retrieve Chiaki's body and use his finding to upload the data of AI Chiaki and original Chiaki's memories into her comatose body, ultimately reviving her mind.

ChrisD

There's been too many clues for it not to be nagito.

Most blatant being Monaca. When she explained being fed up of Nagito's insane ramblings, I assume we are purposefully being led to believe it was during AE. Nah, she met him recently.

I still love that she left because of him omg
Just up and went to space, why not.
I feel way too many people looked at the ridiculous (in a good way) scenario as negative due to Komaru's cheesy lines afterwards.

Also 10/10 performance from Kanahana, god damn.

I feel like now that we've come this far, it's only fair to get a near-full episode of the
Despairs killing everyone
everywhere.

Yeah, they could have the majority of and end the episode with just that happening. But touching on even one character with more focus for like... Three minutes would be cool.

I feel she became one of those characters that the writer becomes too attached to and can't drop no matter what. I'd be really surprised if there's no hint of her in V3.

So you're saying she's become Kodaka's Lightning?

Another pink haired menace who won't die.

Nightbird

This won't happen, but this TVtropes theory is going to be my head canon:

I like that theory a lot

So Munakata killed Juzo because he was gay? Fucking hell..

Nah, probably because he let Junko go. Him claiming that Junko is innocent freed her from any suspicion, hence why she was allowed to enter the Bunker in Danganronpa 1.

Basically, he is the one responsible for Junko managing to go so far as she did in Munakatas eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom