• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreyDaise

Neo Member
The mastermind should be revealed in less than 12 hours, who is it? Chisa, Chiaki, Nagito or Junko?

If it's Chisa, she set everything up and then died, and the Monokuma messages at the beginning -- the only Monokuma messages that weren't completely meta and directed at the audience -- were a recording. And everything has been running on autopilot since then. (That's actually kinda clever, if that's it.)

I think it's Daisaku or Gozu, though. Or at minimum, I think one of them is still alive.

If it's Junko again, I dunno. I quit.

I doubt Chisa's really dead. I'm thinking her body will be where the ultimate make-up artist from Killer Killer will really factor in with DR3. Possibly. Maybe.

FluxWaveZ

This. Or it will be revealed and it is somebody where everyone goes "What?" and we have to speculate for another week.

Aoi will hold up a mirror to the screen and then viewers will realize that they're all the masterminds. They're the ones who wanted to see a conclusion to the Hope's Peak saga so badly that Kodaka was forced into making it. They're the ones who wanted to see more people die for it. It's the viewers' fault.

GreyDaise

Neo Member
I doubt Chisa's really dead. I'm thinking her body will be where the ultimate make-up artist from Killer Killer will really factor in with DR3. Possibly. Maybe.

I dunno. I don't think Chisa's alive AND the mastermind because that wouldn't work for meta reasons. I mean, I don't think that Kodaka would make absolutely sure that we know that someone is Evil (with a capital "E") and then straight-out make that person the mastermind. There'd need to be some twist to it. And I don't think "we think Chisa is dead but she's not HAHA" is enough of a twist.

There are just too many people calling Chisa as the mastermind right now. Too obvious.

IMHO, it's gotta either be someone most people don't suspect (because they didn't seem evil and died a while ago, such that they've been forgotten), or there's gotta be some twist, like Chisa being dead and running the whole show anyway.

Plus, Chisa has a sword through her chest. I COULD see that working, but only if there's some other dead body being used for Chisa that was made-up to look like her.

I haven't read Killer Killer...but I think that if Killer Killer has an ultimate make-up artist, that could definitely still factor in. Just not sure if it would factor in for Chisa in particular.

GreyDaise

Neo Member
It'll be all jabberwock stuff and the last second will cut back to Asahina then immediately go to credits before she says anything

I'd actually be ok with this, since I've been dying to know what's been going on with the Jabberwock folks. Mastermind reveal can wait, IMHO.

Capndrake

Future 11

JUZOBOYS

So Tengan's the mastermind? Didn't see that coming at all, they had me fooled good with Chisa.

Also why the hell didn't Juzo just pull all the power switches the first time?

That sequence with all the dead DR1 characters was pretty cool.

PK Gaming

Aoi will hold up a mirror to the screen and then viewers will realize that they're all the masterminds. They're the ones who wanted to see a conclusion to the Hope's Peak saga so badly that Kodaka was forced into making it. They're the ones who wanted to see more people die for it. It's the viewers' fault.

nQeMjMe.png

gCxjMc1.png

Demoli

Future 11

J U Z O B O Y S

Amazing how in 3 episodes just turn a character around. Dude was the MVP.

Screens theory confirmed, but for some reason i don't feel as angry tehy used them here as i did in Despair.

No way Tengan is the mastermind, I'm half expecting Nagito at this point.

Local animator ruins everything

Capndrake

Is Funi gonna be on schedule this week? Anyone know?
September 19, 2016 – We have been notified that the final two episodes for Danganronpa 3 Future Arc and Despair Arc will be delayed due to production delays in Japan. We are sorry about this but will inform you about the earliest launch time for each episode as soon as possible. Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

(From their site)

September 19, 2016 – We have been notified that the final two episodes for Danganronpa 3 Future Arc and Despair Arc will be delayed due to production delays in Japan. We are sorry about this but will inform you about the earliest launch time for each episode as soon as possible. Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

(From their site)

Oooooooof course. Hoping for Hope to pull through once more.

Ryan_MSF

(From their site)

Quitting learning Japanese was my biggest mistake in life.

Luigi87

(From their site)

Delayedanronpa

Oh well, not unexpected.

Capndrake

At least that delay message kinda confirms there's a 12th Despair episode? It was still kinda up in the air, since a Japanese TV guide listed a voice actor special instead of it.

GreyDaise

Neo Member
I am cheating and peaking at spoilers, but haven't seen the episode yet. Anything I say below is conjecture from what other people have said in spoiler tags.

Future 11

So Tengan's the mastermind? Didn't see that coming at all, they had me fooled good with Chisa.

Well, that's kinda unexpected.

Future 11

No way Tengan is the mastermind, I'm half expecting Nagito at this point.

Wait, is there some doubt? Like,
do you think that either Kyoko's wrong or someone tampered with/replaced her notebook? I guess that could be...

OK, it's my lunch break, so I've got a little time to break this down. Let's
assume that Kyoko's notebook is right, and Tengan's the mastermind. I hadn't truly considered him as an option before now, because that would mess with the count -- i.e, the count showed a certain number of people dying during that day/night, and we did see that many people die onscreen (if I'm remembering correctly -- can't even remember the count right now). And I couldn't think of any way that someone else might've died in their stead. BUT I can think of a few ways this could work.

• The count's wrong, and Kodaka is screwing with us on a meta level. If so, Kodaka you CHEAT.
  • Tengan's alive (and he...somehow...managed to get himself impaled on-screen and still live). The person who actually died was that extra person who has been a participant all along, where we still don't know who it is. (This is also kinda cheating, but more Kodaka-like cheating.)
  • Tengan's alive (and he...somehow...managed to get himself impaled on-screen and still live). And someone else died. This is where I need to go and review the episodes, because I'm actually not sure what the count was at the beginning ep 6(?), just that I believed that it lined up with who died. When did Izayoi actually die (during the night, or in the morning after the count. And if it was after the count, doesn't that mess with THAT day's count)? And what was the count at the beginning of that episode? I THINK that Monaca went to space after the beginning of that ep and wouldn't have been in the Tengan-died period, right?
  • Tengan did actually die. If so, either the game is on autopilot or he has an accomplice (or accomplices). Or both. If so, if the game isn't fully on autopilot: who's the accomplice? Ryota (too obvious, IMHO)? Mystery person that we don't know? Kouichi, who triggered his rule then fell down a hole, so no one could examine the body (except that that would mess with the count, also)? One of the other people who died (Daisaku, Gozu)? Some other traitor in their midst?

This is the most likely option, IMHO.

Any way you look at it, though,
if Tengan's the mastermind, anything he said is now suspect, even as the direct answer to a question . He would've been able to control the wristbands, and his "rule" would have been bullcrap. Unless he decided to play by his own rules.

Actually, would Tengan even count as a participant, if he was running the whole thing? That's a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

Soulfang

Neo Member
I am cheating and peaking at spoilers, but haven't seen the episode yet. Anything I say below is conjecture from what other people have said in spoiler tags.

Well, that's kinda unexpected.

Wait, is there some doubt? Like,
do you think that either Kyoko's wrong or someone tampered with/replaced her notebook? I guess that could be...

OK, it's my lunch break, so I've got a little time to break this down. Let's
assume that Kyoko's notebook is right, and Tengan's the mastermind. I hadn't truly considered him as an option before now, because that would mess with the count -- i.e, the count showed a certain number of people dying during that day/night, and we did see that many people die onscreen (if I'm remembering correctly -- can't even remember the count right now). And I couldn't think of any way that someone else might've died in their stead. BUT I can think of a few ways this could work.

• The count's wrong, and Kodaka is screwing with us on a meta level. If so, Kodaka you CHEAT.
  • Tengan's alive (and he...somehow...managed to get himself impaled on-screen and still live). The person who actually died was that extra person who has been a participant all along, where we still don't know who it is. (This is also kinda cheating, but more Kodaka-like cheating.)
  • Tengan's alive (and he...somehow...managed to get himself impaled on-screen and still live). And someone else died. This is where I need to go and review the episodes, because I'm actually not sure what the count was at the beginning ep 6(?), just that I believed that it lined up with who died. When did Izayoi actually die (during the night, or in the morning after the count. And if it was after the count, doesn't that mess with THAT day's count)? And what was the count at the beginning of that episode? I THINK that Monaca went to space after the beginning of that ep and wouldn't have been in the Tengan-died period, right?
  • Tengan did actually die. If so, either the game is on autopilot or he has an accomplice (or accomplices). Or both. If so, if the game isn't fully on autopilot: who's the accomplice? Ryota (too obvious, IMHO)? Mystery person that we don't know? Kouichi, who triggered his rule then fell down a hole, so no one could examine the body (except that that would mess with the count, also)? One of the other people who died (Daisaku, Gozu)? Some other traitor in their midst?

This is the most likely option, IMHO.

Any way you look at it, though,
if Tengan's the mastermind, anything he said is now suspect, even as the direct answer to a question . He would've been able to control the wristbands, and his "rule" would have been bullcrap. Unless he decided to play by his own rules.

Actually, would Tengan even count as a participant, if he was running the whole thing? That's a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

Tengan being the mastermind was Munakata's deduction based on him being the only other one who would have unbridled access to the facility besides himself. Kirigiri's notebook only showed her reasoning as to why the attacker murders were all suicides.

Demoli

Okay, here's what happened:

Notebook said the monitors were involved the killer's method. So to check this, Persona restrained naegi, at his request, and left him alone in front of a monitor while Aoi and Mitarai and himself were in an empty room.

Sure enough, monitor brainwashes naegi and guilt trips him into commiting suicide, at which points juzo happens, he wasn't put to sleep cause he cut off his armlet arm. Side note, Monitors drop the knives.

They all wake and and realise the plant. Juzo turns off all the power in the building, freeing everyone from their NG bracelets, but dying due to bleeding.

While Persona is searching for Juzo, Naegi asks Mitarai if he knows anything about it, he gets all defensive, and gets a text message from Tengan, implying him as the mastermind.

GreyDaise

Neo Member
Tengan being the mastermind waAas Munakata's deduction based on him being the only other one who would have unbridled access to the facility besides himself. Kirigiri's notebook only showed her reasoning as to why the attacker murders were all suicides.

Dang, then all the reasoning above is (possible) bullcrap. Why'd Asahina say that she knew who the mastermind is, then?

I'm not sure I trust Munakata to have gotten it right. (I trust Kyoko to have the right end of the stick, but not Munakata.) Like, on one hand, Munakata WAS right about Junko being the culprit. And the people he killed (or made sure are dead by sticking a sword through them) were all suspect of being Despair in some logical way.

On the other hand, he suspected Makoto for most of Future and nooooooooo. Sorry, dude, your logical thinking skills are really suspect.

And it is totally normal for Kodaka to throw in a red herring like that and have the mastermind be someone totally different in the last episode.

So, eh, probably not Tengan, after all.

Okay, here's what happened:

Notebook said the monitors were involved the killer's method. So to check this, Persona restrained naegi, at his request, and left him alone in front of a monitor while Aoi and Mitarai and himself were in an empty room.

Sure enough, monitor brainwashes naegi and guilt trips him into commiting suicide, at which points juzo happens, he wasn't put to sleep cause he cut off his armlet arm. Side note, Monitors drop the knives.

Oh, this is cool.
Juzo's amazing to live through that. And that explains why the count was 6 this at the beginning of ep 10. And means that Kyoko's actually dead, unless there are shenigans, and totally blows my Daisaku or Gozu theory all to hell, darn.

Wait, do they have an explanation for how the people who committed suicide ended up hanging from the ceiling/wall/etc.?

They all wake and and realise the plant. Juzo turns off all the power in the building, freeing everyone from their NG bracelets, but dying due to bleeding.

While Persona is searching for Juzo, Naegi asks Mitarai if he knows anything about it, he gets all defensive, and gets a text message from Tengan, implying him as the mastermind.

Wait: who got the text message? Mitarai or Munakata? "implying him" = Tengan as the mastermind, or Mitarai? I don't understand that last bit. Unless Mitarai gets the text message and Munakata decides that Tengan's the mastermind based on that + having full access to the building?

If it's somehow related to a text message from Tengan, what's the chance that someone else has Tengan's phone?

Edit: gotta go back to work, so probably can't answer again till way later today.

Munakata is smart, it is just that during Future his love died and he was just looking for a scapegoat to deal with his despair and grieving.

Capndrake

Wait, do they have an explanation for how the people who committed suicide ended up hanging from the ceiling/wall/etc.?
They showed a flashback of Gozu holding some cables, Chisa climbing up onto a chair and Seiko ramming herself into the wall
Wait: who got the text message? Mitarai or Munakata? "implying him" = Tengan as the mastermind, or Mitarai? I don't understand that last bit. Unless Mitarai gets the text message and Munakata decides that Tengan's the mastermind based on that + having full access to the building?

If it's somehow related to a text message from Tengan, what's the chance that someone else has Tengan's phone?
It appears on Mitarai's phone while he's holding it, I believe everyone saw it though. I would assume it's someone else that got ahold of Tengan's phone.

GSR

Future 11
So much for my grumbling about the bodies being in impossible positions. Never underestimate the power of despair brainwashing, I guess.

Expecting/hoping for one last twist w/r/t mastermind, because we don't really have any reason to care about Tengan thus far and he seemed pretty well dead. Unless Despair 11 reveals he was Dad Despair all along (though that's still kind of whatever.)

The ED scene with the bracelets falling off and Munakata looking for Juuzo was pretty hype. Juuzo was kind of a dick but they did a good job redeeming him. Also feel validated that my initial "he ain't dead" was right, even if I second-guessed myself later.

Also expect Mitarai's NG code to be revealed at the last minute as something completely mundane lmao

Future 11

I have no idea how Kodaka is going to end this in 1 episode, unless the last Despair is actually in the present. Considering that I have recently read contradictory mumblings about 11 or 12 episodes for that part of the anime, I'm not sure how this is going to play.

So Tengan is the mastermind? I know he was pretty suspect in the episodes that focused in him, but it seemed like a red herring. The fact that Mitarai's brainwashing techniques are involved again has to mean something, but I don't see Kodaka using necromancy to rise Junko again.

Also, how the hell Juzo survived several hours after being impaled by a heated katana. Even if cauterization is a thing, the whole thing reeks of anime shenanigans. But his last actions played perfectly on his character, and thankfully avoided making a caricature of him after the reveal in Despair. But even I had to admit that the whole sequence of Munakata running to reach Juzo seemed to come from a shoujo.

Future 11

I cried. I'm crying right now. God fucking damn it Juzo you beautiful son of a bitch. I'M LEGIT SO SAD this was tragic as fuck and gaaagghhhhh

Bar a couple goofy shots I was in it the whole time. This episode was really good.

DaBoss

Future 11

That was the first time I had tears in all of Danganronpa 3. I absolutely hated Juzo and thought he was stupid for not telling Munakata about Junko even though I understand why he wouldn't.

Ryan_MSF

Episode 11: Future Side

Thought the episode was fantastic. The scenes with Juzo were great, and Munakata's realization of things really gave him some much needed character development. I never thought at the beginning i'd be saying this, but those two have really become some of my favourite characters in the series. I'm genuinely excited to see what we get next, that was a fantastic episode.

NotLiquid

Future 11

This was a really good episode, that said as we're reaching the end I'm starting to comes to terms with the fact that this is probably going to end with a whimper. If Tengan is the mastermind I'll be sorely disappointed since there's not much of a reason to care about him as the bad guy. I guess Kyoko really is dead after all now, but man I don't know, something about her death still feels too fucking obvious and not something that this show has fully earned. Finally the hinted sub plots of the DR2 characters coming back and Izuru reawakening is starting to feel completely wasted if it only has one episode left to pay off. I really don't know how they can possibly wrap the future plot up with just one episode left and I'm pretty much expecting an inconclusive, rushed ending. I'm starting to feel like the path they took with this anime might have been a mistake. The Despair arc still feels like an answer to a question that didn't need to be asked, and the only real thing I feel it contributes is explaining why certain characters in the Future arc behave the way they do... which could have just been managed with a regular 24-episode series focusing on being an actual sequel.

PsionBolt

Future 11

- Naegi's waifu crisis was amusing. It was a nice touch how he could have saved both of them by dying.
- Boxer's death by blood loss over like 5 episodes and three separate major injuries was far too unreasonable for me to care.
- Charlie Tunoku really drags down the scenes he's in. He uses exactly the same emotion in his voice whether he's saying "Despair must die", "I'm sorry I killed you, my friend", or "I am going to have spaghetti for lunch".
- I'm not convinced Tengan is the mastermind... But at the same time, I wouldn't really be satisfied by any of the characters being it. The ship has sailed. Junko or bust.

Bring on Despair.

For the people that have seen it, without any details, thumbs up or thumbs down?

Thumbs at roughly 4 o'clock, as always with Future.

Nightbird

OMFG

I just realized:

The reason why Monaca said to Komaru to google who the culprit is is because it was on the Danganronpa wiki the whole time
she literally told to Komaru and the viewers that the answer was already out there all along

my mind is so blown right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom