• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh, that's not what I meant.

I meant, the video had no effect on her, she managed to resist. Mukuro had to open her brain for it to work!

I guess. It's just, ugh, feels really wrong, especially how it used Kirigiri's death. I would have thought Kirigiri's body would have snapped him out of it, if anything.

Junko said the video wasn't perfected yet the episode before Chisa got washed. I'm just assuming that Future's video is the perfected one, since it doesn't even shows death just
monokuma and weird ass colors.

Man, I'm pissed though. We NEVER got to see the remnants in their despair state when they go to Jabberwock Island. Nor Makoto/Izuru conversation.

:_:

Why not? Makoto is literally an ordinary person. I think a lot of people miss the fact that his talent, The Ultimate Hope, doesn't actually do anything.

JjDZwkB.png

It doesn't give him extraordinary Despair resisting powers. He can't purify people either. He wasn't born with it. He became the Ultimate Hope after his experiences from DR1, and it's the main reason why Makoto is actually pretty compelling as a character, despite being a player surrogate. He's not a miracle worker and he doesn't seem to have superpower behind him. He just has this genuine, uncompromising belief in Hope that no other character in the series has, and it let's him get through difficult situations. That's why he was awful in the earlier parts of DR3. His "talent" should have manifested in his ability to remain proactive during their situation. Instead he just spouts exposition about how they "shouldn't kill each other."

His actions during the resent episodes are in-line with how he was like in the games.

Ironically, had the listened to him, I believe the deaths might have been reduced to maybe 2-3. Instead we got this pointless cat-mouse chase.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Why not? Makoto is literally an ordinary person. I think a lot of people miss the fact that his talent, The Ultimate Hope, doesn't actually do anything.

JjDZwkB.png

It doesn't give him extraordinary Despair resisting powers. He can't purify people either. He wasn't born with it. He became the Ultimate Hope after his experiences from DR1, and it's the main reason why Makoto is actually pretty compelling as a character, despite being a player surrogate. He's not a miracle worker and he doesn't seem to have superpower behind him. He just has this genuine, uncompromising belief in Hope that no other character in the series has, and it let's him get through difficult situations. That's why he was awful in the earlier parts of DR3. His "talent" should have manifested in his ability to remain proactive during their situation. Instead he just spouts exposition about how they "shouldn't kill each other."

His actions during the resent episodes are in-line with how he was like in the games.
He clearly showed off his ultimate luck talent this time around. His plan was so dumb.

Also, wasn't there a rule where if no one dies one night, they win? Why didn't they just do that?

TWILT

Banned
Good episode this week.
I'm surprised they managed to make actually feel sorry for Juzo at the end there, but damn they did it. Good stuff dude. The Despair video mindscrewing Makoto was also pretty neat though I also burst out into laughter when Mondo's body turned into butter >>;

I'm kind of expecting a really rushed ending next week (unless next week's Thursday episode expands on it). I mean they have to cover Tengen/whoever the mastermind is supposed to be, whatever the boat leaving Jabberwock island is supposed to mean, Kyoko's potential revival (;_;), whatever happened to Byakuya...geez lol

I think the remnants were shown a different video than the the people in the future foundation. Likely the future foundation were shown the same video as the reserve course, that drove them all to suicide.

Also, I'm suprised no else else thought of just cutting off their own hand.

We know the remnants were shown a different video. Junko literally says that she will use Chiaki's death to create a perfected video which is what the remnants are shown to be watching.

The whole point of him being the Ultimate Hope is that he has an unconditional belief in it and refuses to let go of it. It's still optimism, but its intensity remains the standout difference between him and everyone else during the entire series. Makoto's hopefulness is at its very best in when any normal person would give in to the feelings of the paralyzing futility and nihilism that Junko brought both casts to in the final chapters of DR1 and 2. His refusal to give in and accept situations with no solution in sight is what allows him to inspire that feeling in others as we saw in DR1. He wasn't fully able to inspire it in the DR2 cast, but he did help get them to a point where Hajime realized "the future" as his own hope of sorts.

So when we see Makoto give in so easily to something like the video where he is shown his friends saying he should have died instead of them and that it is all his fault, it makes no sense because we are seeing him give in to everything that he has stood against for 3 games, novels, and almost an entire anime cour. You're right, he's still just an average person and it does technically check out that he would fall to the brainwashing just like anyone else, but the way that the whole occurance is so throwaway and one sided with no resistance being put forth from someone who is being forced to abandon the one thing that he believe in the most, it feels weird and contrary to his character in every possible way.

Did Mitarai ever state the reason why was he sent /came to the FF building?
He's still very suspicious in my opinion as he was scouted personally by Tengan.

I thought everyone was gathered there in the first place because Munakata wanted a trial for Naegi, but my memory is fuzzy.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Lol

So much for Chisa being the main antagonist. I bet people didn't expect Tengan to be the primary antagonist.

Permanently A

THERE WAS NO ONE WHO COULD EVEN REMOTELY CONTROL OUR BOY JUZO

• Punched Naegi in order to defend his bro
  • Knee'd the fuck out of Anxiety lad because he knew that he was the traitor all along
  • Had a misunderstanding with the Gozuboys
  • Saved Hinata from getting killed by HPA
  • The master of chair throwing, that one miss on Kirigiri was because he was a merciful hero, and not just to flex his muscles and check dat ass (because he only wants Munakata's ass)
  • Went full ham on the evil old man mastermind and crew to save the FF
  • Roundhouse kicks the everlasting shit out of Monaca's puppet in order to stop the second coming of Junko Enoshima
  • Unable to stop some mentally deranged kid from blowing up half the school because he was too busy being a hero
  • Had a misunderstanding with the donut but spared her
  • Survived 2 missile barrages by an evil robot bent on destroying all hope
  • Called out Monokuma's bluff with his cameras, recording his mad-ass pecs and didn't give a fuck in general about any of these plebeian
  • Became the world champion in boxing, becoming the undisputed best with bare hand combat before even leaving high school
  • Too Alpha to mess with the bitches and instead neglects his own feelings as being the third wheel to protect his love no matter what
  • Only took a 2 episode rest before kicking the shin of everyone again
  • Took a fucking spear to the shoulder, impaled into a wall and shrugged it off like it was just a mosquito bite
  • Was not seduced by Ruruka's sweets because he was so loyal to Munakata
  • Has enough consideration to the normies to at least use them as a coatrack
  • Even at the world's end, he was still gunning for a piece
  • such a straight forwarded bro, he bends his own sexuality
  • saves the manlet when he's in need, cutting off his hand to be the savior he truly is
  • Single handedly stopped the killing game, physically and literally

J U Z O B O Y S
U
Z
O

B
O
Y
S​

Yasumi

Banned
Wouldn't be surprised if this week's Despair episode ends post-Danganronpa 2, with the storylines converging next week.

Future 11

I was already warming up to him the past few episodes, but i'm all aboard the juzo train

the true hero that we don't deserve ;_;

NeonZ

I thought everyone was gathered there in the first place because Munakata wanted a trial for Naegi, but my memory is fuzzy.

In the first episode, Ryota actually said that he was there for a meeting with Tengan. He also only is seen by the time that all the Future Foundation guards are dead (and he hides his cellphone when Kirigiri approaches him).

As far as final mastermind goes, I think there are only two that could result in an entertaining final couple of episodes.

-
Ryota Mitarai. Yeah, so far, he only has been portrayed as a coward, not actively malevolent, but they easily could show him having a break down and then feasibly reveal a "despair" version of his personality, where it's made clear that he actively helped Junko and Tengan. I think this would be the best possible path, since it'd justify all his screentime and wouldn't make the villain some nobody. Maybe the message that he received was actually sent by himself - he justifies his actions by always blaming someone else.

-
Nagito Komaeda. Just because he's Nagito, and the island side is vague enough they could reveal he somehow woke up and ran away from there for a while now. It wouldn't fit into the overall DR3 narrative nearly as smoothly though, but it could still result in a neat confrontation with Naegi and possibly Hinata.

Taruranto

The whole point of him being the Ultimate Hope is that he has an unconditional belief in it and refuses to let go of it. It's still optimism, but its intensity remains the standout difference between him and everyone else during the entire series. Makoto's hopefulness is at its very best in when any normal person would give in to the feelings of the paralyzing futility and nihilism that Junko brought both casts to in the final chapters of DR1 and 2. His refusal to give in and accept situations with no solution in sight is what allows him to inspire that feeling in others as we saw in DR1. He wasn't fully able to inspire it in the DR2 cast, but he did help get them to a point where Hajime realized "the future" as his own hope of sorts.

So when we see Makoto give in so easily to something like the video where he is shown his friends saying he should have died instead of them and that it is all his fault, it makes no sense because we are seeing him give in to everything that he has stood against for 3 games, novels, and almost an entire anime cour. You're right, he's still just an average person and it does technically check out that he would fall to the brainwashing just like anyone else, but the way that the whole occurance is so throwaway and one sided with no resistance being put forth from someone who is being forced to abandon the one thing that he believe in the most, it feels weird and contrary to his character in every possible way.

Yeah, that's my issue with this.

Basically (Shamelessly stolen)

But honestly, after MIND HACKING ANIME I feel like Kodaka had few ideas/scenes in mind but didn't care/didn't bother/didn't know how to write a proper setup for them.
He wanted Juzo to save Naegi and redeem himself, so he crippled Naegi's resolve, he wanted Kirigiri's to steel Naegi, so her murdered her character, both figuratively and literally.

I refuse to believe the same person who wrote DR1 and DR2, who clearly understood what you can and shouldn't do in a murder mystery used
lol suicide via brain-washing
as a motive and method behind the whole thing.

Amani

Ok, this has nothing to do with Future 11, but I just had a thought:

You know the practical exams thing? The one where all the students showed off what they accomplished related to their talent?

What the fuck were Makoto and Komaeda supposed to do for those? I mean, y'know, besides blowing up the building.

Permanently A

You know the practical exams thing? The one where all the students showed off what they accomplished related to their talent?

What the fuck were Makoto and Komaeda supposed to do for those?

pull a number out of a hat or something

FluxWaveZ

What the fuck were Makoto and Komaeda supposed to do for those?

fYqh3Bj.png

And yeah, I have to fully agree with this. It's why the moment, while doing a good job of what the psychology of Junko's special anime brainwashing entails, didn't really work for me.

FluxWaveZ

So the trick to winning the game all along was to make everyone go to sleep in a room without monitors?

Presumably, the one closest to a monitor in the physical space would still be forced to wake up. Without knowing that monitors are the cause, they could be tempted to wander around, and then they'd get hypnotized or whatever.

Tengan is gonna turn out to be a robot or something, isn't he? Maybe something really dumb like Junko's brain being placed in him or something.

Just gonna go wild here with the guesses.

DNAbro

My reaction to Juzo earlier in the season

Years later he is still an awful person with no awareness along with Yu Narukami looking ass. They are made for each other with how stupid and idiotic they are.

I'm hoping they somehow get redeemed because their motivations are so beyond stupid and any sane person sees how counter-intuitive they are. Boxer literally has no redeeming qualities so far. At least Munakata has some type of logic driving him.

and now

Future 11

Holy fuck I love Juzo.

I absolutely love how I went from despising Juzo to him being the best new character in the show

Despair Makoto is like Hogan turning heel brother. Initially bothered by it at first, but would be a really neat concept if they had the guts to actually roll with it. I mean hell, what's the worst that could happen.

Team Juzo justified. <3 Best DR3 character by far.
Medi team, please perform a miracle.

My initial mastermind predictions were Ryota/Tengan, and we didn't get to see what Ryota's NG code was, so I'm still very suspicious of him.

ChrisD

My reaction to Juzo earlier in the season

and now

I absolutely love how I went from despising Juzo to him being the best new character in the show

I like how you even said they were made for each other. You knew. Lucky wording, or was the theory already out at that point?

RIP, you turned out to be a pretty cool dude

Drago

Tengan is gonna turn out to be a robot or something, isn't he? Maybe something really dumb like Junko's brain being placed in him or something.

Just gonna go wild here with the guesses.

Old man Tengan acting and speaking like Junko would be pretty funny

Wouldn't be surprised if this week's Despair episode ends post-Danganronpa 2, with the storylines converging next week.

It might have to, because I just watched the episode and while it was really good it also leaves a lot to be covered in one last episode. If some of the Jabberwock stuff we've been teased over the last several episodes gets folded into Despair it might just work (and would be a neat trick).

Also after watching this episode I'm somehow down for a possible Kyoko is alive twist.

FluxWaveZ

Let us not forget Juzo is a big part of the reason the entire world went to shit. He might be one of the best characters in DR3, but hey.

Taruranto

It's kinda amazing how things turned around:
(This was made in the very begining)

Chisa kinda went to other way for me, I like her in the beginning, but she got worse as far the story progressed. Despair Chisa killing children was pretty funny however. IT WAS MEEE.

I think Saeko was another character I didn't mind much, she worked as a side character I guess, although she's responsible for some of the worst scenes in Future.

Candies and Vash the Stampede were completely irremeable tho', just awful characters all around.

Let us not forget Juzo is a big part of the reason the entire world went to shit. He might be one of the best characters in DR3, but hey.

Oh, indeed. If the world hadn't go to shiet, he should have gone to jail.

I think the best moment in both animes for me is when Nagito arrives at Junko's hideout and pulls a fucking gun on her, I was laughing my ass off even if it was meant to be serious.

this anime was a mistake

I think that's what people see on his character. He made awful mistakes, but is still trying to make amends for the consequences of it all while keeping his personality -
the fact that he kept his childish hate for Naegi after all that happened graciously avoids the "defeat means friendship" trope

I wouldn't excuse him like so many have done, but I must admit that his character arc is one of the strongest in DR3. The fact that the 74th trio history is tragic, but not completely redeemable is what makes them relatable (
and thankfully Kodaka spared us from a complete shoujo-like scene at the very end
).

FluxWaveZ

I think the best moment in both animes for me is when Nagito arrives to Junko's hideout and pulls a fucking gun on her, I was laughing my ass off even if it was meant to be serious.

this anime was a mistake

My top 3 would be:

1. Nagito being absent for several Despair arc episodes, coming back clearly up to something, setting up an actual plan to corner Junko and subsequently pulling the gun on her in her secret hideout. Just fantastic. If this anime had more moments like that...

2. Junko vs. Izuru. I think the most interesting moments are when Junko encounters someone who's on her level, instead of being praised everywhere without even doing anything special throughout DR3. So seeing Izuru swat away the Despair Sisters and then Junko's monologue about motivations was pretty cool.

3. "The game has already started." I was rather indifferent going into DR3, and I didn't really know what to expect from it. I actually didn't think about the killing game immediately starting in episode 1, so there was the shock value of Chisa's death, and I just loved the composition of that whole scene.

The music going silent to isolate the sound of the blood dripping, the realisation, seeing Chisa (who was the more "likeable" of the characters previously) up there as the "New World Order" remix kicked in, and the internal thoughts from Munakata are heard as the scene happens in slow motion. I thought it was great, and I thought it was very promising for what was to come next.

I think that's what people see on his character. He made awful mistakes, but is still trying to make amends for the consequences of it all while keeping his personality -
the fact that he kept his childish hate for Naegi after all that happened graciously avoids the "defeat means friendship" trope

I wouldn't excuse him like so many have done, but I must admit that his character arc is one of the strongest in DR3. The fact that the 74th trio history is tragic, but not completely redeemable is what makes them relatable (
and thankfully Kodaka spared us from a complete shoujo-like scene at the very end
).

Oh, don't get me wrong. What you're saying here is exactly why I think he's one of the best characters in Danganronpa 3 by far. A character with actual depth and an actual arc? Not black/white in terms of motivations? It's especially notable when we look at most of the other characters involved in this anime.

Kinda curious how the direction of DRV3 will end up in terms of murders and executions after seeing how DR3 is. DR is no stranger to fucked up deaths, but the most compelling ones are always the sickly appropriate deaths that are almost humorous in nature. DR3 has pretty much just relied on gore porn rather than doing anything particularly interesting so I hope that doesn't become what Kodaka focuses on there too.
Immediate examples of good over the top ones are like AI Chiaki and Mondo's, with Real Chiaki and today's suicide killings being over the top in an uninspired shock value kind of way.

My favorite DR3 moments are Nagito pulling out A FUCKING GUN on Junko and the ending of that one episode with Byakuya, Toko and Komaru making an appearance. The Izuru reveal in future was pretty hype too, but I doubt they'll do it justice at this point.

I really love the fact that Nagito was about to fucking pull out the gun in class until Hiyoko told him that nobody gave a shit.

FluxWaveZ

the best moment by far is Nagito whipping out a pistol just for the hilarious absurdity

I dunno, "absurdity"? What I think makes that moment work especially well is because of how lacking in nonsense it is. When it comes to Junko, anyone who would oppose her is busy trying to make elaborate plans or investigations to stop her. A bunch of secret talks, utter ignorance or stupid inaction.

Then there's Nagito who comes out and just goes "I'm going to fucking shoot the problem right here and now with this gun." It's so simple, it's amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom