• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

Oh, this is cool.
Juzo's amazing to live through that. And that explains why the count was 6 this at the beginning of ep 10. And means that Kyoko's actually dead, unless there are shenigans, and totally blows my Daisaku or Gozu theory all to hell, darn.

They might pull a fast one and say that death status is determined by the bracelets. The entire facility is seemingly automated so maybe the bracelets are used to detect a person who is alive. In that scenario what could possibly happen is the bracelet detects no life signs in the dismembered arm that Juzo left behind and lists him as dead even though he isn't.

That's pretty much the only way I can see them bullshit Kyoko back to life at this point.

Maaaaan.
I know it's brainwashing, but having Makoto pretty much fall to despair doesn't sit right at all.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but after this episode, I like
Juzo now. It's a bit iffy, but his assholish ways gel with the rest of his character arc and make it clear that he's not really a terrible person. The only real outlying problem I still have with his arc is when he beat the shit out of Hajime. It's one of the classic problems that stories tend to have with redeeming an asshole. There's just always that one part that doesn't really check out.

idk dude in death he gets to hang out with his idol gf and his detective gf

who's left in life? that prick togami? the guy who smells like weed? munakata???
That's the whole point, though. Makoto's hope doesn't really make sense, but he still hangs on to it no matter what. He's been through way worse shit than his classmates doing the typical it should've been you schpiel.

That was more of a trance and less full on despair, I'd say. All it took was getting slammed into a wall and some stern words from Juzo for him to snap out of it completely.
I mean, I guess that makes sense. They probably should've made the stuff in his mind less give into despair-ish

That's the whole point, though. Makoto's hope doesn't really make sense, but he still hangs on to it no matter what. He's been through way worse shit than his classmates doing the typical it should've been you schpiel.

nah i totally agree lol

i guess it's cool of them to show the sort of effects the despair video has on them internally but it certainly didn't prove to justify its effect

FluxWaveZ

Maaaaan.
I know it's brainwashing, but having Makoto pretty much fall to despair doesn't sit right at all.

I tend to agree, as well.
Was disappointed that Makoto couldn't snap out of it himself. It devalues his status as "Ultimate Hope" when this should be the one time it is truly reflected. It's more like he should be the "Ultimate Optimist" ala Chiaki instead, and not the diametric opposite of Junko it seems he was designed to be.

This isn't going to have a good finale. DR3 had a strong opening, into a mediocre rest of it, but I guess I was still clinging onto that ""hope"" that it could still end strongly. Not now.

Tengan being the mastermind? Sure, whatever. Makes sense and it isn't offensive, and maybe he's still alive or something. But the only reason to care is if the audience was made to care about the "Future Foundation" as an entity, and I don't think it did a good job of that at all. Someone from the top was the Big Bad all along? Okay. It's a cool twist on its own, but it doesn't have the backing to be the "big twist" at the end of the road.

TV anime brainswashing being the tool behind it isn't surprising in the least after what's been going on in Despair + Mitarai's presence/reactions. I actually like the aspect of it where the process is automated and it doesn't have active involvement from anyone for the secret behind the Killing Game. I also liked how Naegi's despair was represented. But Despair arc devalues the process of the brainwashing.

I guess those boat scenes made it seem like the DR2 cast would have more of an importance in Future than they did, but it doesn't seem like they will. The final episode of Despair is where they might have a notable involvement in Future.

I can't (but I kinda can, after all this) believe that Juzo became one of my favorite DR3 characters, despite the fact that he's still a detestable asshole. Basically, he's one of the only characters who's actually fleshed out and has a proper arc.

Future 11:
Tengan being the mastermind is quite surprising considering I was so convinced it'd be Chisa.
Naegi being brainwashed temporarily by the video surprised me because I thought him being the ultimate hope that he'd be able to resist that.
Juzo redeemed himself through this arc and despair arc eventually, the fact that he got blackmailed into letting Junko off the hook and therefore he wants to make amends by getting Munakata out of the new killing game.
Juzo managed to redeem himself, he was still an asshole but he got fleshed out tons in these arcs.
So if Tengan is the mastermind, or whoever has his phone, is Mitarai in on it?

Taruranto

Yeah,
Chisa showed us you can resist the brainwashing, so, uh? Not to mention Naegi resolve SHOULD have been steeled by Kirigiri's death.

Yeah,
Chisa showed us you can resist the brainwashing, so, uh? Not to mention Naegi resolve SHOULD have been steeled by Kirigiri's death.

That grin she did when she embraced Munakata says the complete opposite, she was still a despair from the brainwashing in the despair arc, maybe Seiko managed to medicate her to get her out of most the effects of the brainwashing but small amounts of it remained.

Ruruka basically tortured herself like Nagito did in DR2 from the brainwashing, goddamn.

That grin she did when she embraced Munakata says the complete opposite, she was still a despair from the brainwashing in the despair arc, maybe Seiko managed to medicate her to get her out of most the effects of the brainwashing but small amounts of it remained.

Mukuro had to do some tinkering is what he's referring to. That said Junko directly states she hadn't completed her brainwashing masterpiece. What's used on Makoto is probably even greater than what was used on the remnants. this episode did give insights on how to reconcile individually turning remnants with the brainwashing. as the ultimate analyst and apparently master detective considering the info she managed to acquire, Junko probably embedded individual scenarios to brainwash each of the remnants aside from Mikan who is just weak willed altogether.

Taruranto

Ruruka basically tortured herself like Nagito did in DR2 from the brainwashing, goddamn.

Uh, that's not what I meant.

I meant, the video had no effect on her, she managed to resist. Mukuro had to open her brain for it to work!

What's used on Makoto I'd probably even greater than what was used on the remnants. this episode did give insights on how to reconcile individually turning remnants with the brainwashing.

I guess. It's just, ugh, feels really wrong, especially how it used Kirigiri's death. I would have thought Kirigiri's body would have snapped him out of it, if anything.

Mukuro had to do some tinkering is what he's referring to. That said Junko directly states she hadn't completed her brainwashing masterpiece. What's used on Makoto I'd probably even greater than what was used on the remnants. this episode did give insights on how to reconcile individually turning remnants with the brainwashing. as the ultimate analyst and apparently master detective considering the info she managed to acquire, Junko probably embedded individual scenarios to brainwash each of the remnants aside from Mikan who is just weak willed altogether.
Ah ok my bad guess that's what happens when I'm up to late.

I meant, the video had no effect on her, she managed to resist. Mukuro had to open her brain for it to work!
My bad completely read that wrong plus I forgot about the tinkering probably because it was quite hard to watch and picture.

well, it wasn't that it didn't an effect on her. Junko said it was incomplete. Mukuro had to tinker with her brain to make the incomplete brainwash video made from the student council mutual killing work on her. the first ones to be shown the complete brainwash anime were the Chiaki's classmates. My guess is only Izuru and Junko were truly immune to the effects of Mitarai's brainwashing techniques due to their talents.

Juzo redeemed! Great episode.

I don't think Tengan is alive. I think someone got his cell phone and called Mitarai (who is suspicious as hell).

idk dude in death he gets to hang out with his idol gf and his detective gf

who's left in life? that prick togami? the guy who smells like weed? munakata???

Makoto hasn't had the experience of hanging out with Nagito yet (unless they chatted it up before they went into the NWP). He can't die yet.

FluxWaveZ

oh i forgot to say
Kyoko isnt dead, she playing the long game

Kyoko is freaking dead.

It's a lose-lose for me at this point.
If she's actually dead: I would have preferred the death of an OG DR character have a bit more oomph behind it than it did. It was telegraphed through death flags and... that's it. It lacked impact.
If she's not dead: Oh joy, another fake-out, and you had to keep it as this late reveal that'll probably distract from anything else going on. Or just a way to make the inevitably happy ending happier.

If she's the mastermind, then thumbs up.

Funny like how both protagonists lose their sidekick, Kyoko and Chiaki. Perhaps the mastermind is Hinata, trying to make Naegi suffer the same he did before going preaching about hope.

Kyoko is freaking dead.

It's a lose-lose for me at this point.
If she's actually dead: I would have preferred the death of an OG DR character have a bit more oomph behind it than it did. It was telegraphed through death flags and... that's it. It lacked impact.
If she's not dead: Oh joy, another fake-out, and you had to keep it as this late reveal that'll probably distract from anything else going on. Or just a way to make the inevitably happy ending happier.

If she's the mastermind, then thumbs up.

Agreed. Maybe it's because I haven't played the original game in so long but her death didn't have that much of an impact on me sadly. I think in the episode that followed the flashback helped. Also maybe it would have helped if it was in the dub since I played the game in English. Who knows?

mrmickfran

I'm just not a fan of how they handled her death.

Just one stupidly specific prophecy to allude to it (how the fuck would Monaca even know?)

Just one stupidly specific prophecy to allude to it (how the fuck would Monaca even know?)

Now that we know cutting off your hand works its ?????????????????? if she is dead. Why would you just die and not cut it off, does she like her bacon hands that much?

Vamphuntr

She knew all the NG codes. This where Munakata gets them all (from the trashed robot). I mean she's obviously good at hacking and her robot cannot be put to sleep so she can snoop around.

The only thing disappointing with Kyoko's death is that it seems her guesses about the mastermind will be proven wrong and she's supposed to be the Ultimate Detective. Her death was also really anticlimatic and just there.

Kudos to people that guess the twist from Episode 11 ahead of the time. Reddit guessed right.
stupid brainwashing haha

FluxWaveZ

Kudos to people that guess the twist from Episode 11 ahead of the time. Reddit guessed right.
stupid brainwashing haha

I'd be more ready to give props to the "the building is a different one + underwater" twist guesses than that one. After a certain point, this one was just really obvious, but I think many people (me included) might have chosen to believe that it was more involved than that,
even if it had to be suicide.

I'm kinda surprised that it's looking that there's nothing up with Asahina after the evidence that was compiled previously.

kyoko isn't dead and the whole thing is just dumb shock value which the show clearly isn't above, also i guess they somehow still didn't fill their man-tears quota

if she is dead and she just sorta rolled over and accepted her death without any attempt at circumventing it that's also really dumb and bad

Now that we know cutting off your hand works its ?????????????????? if she is dead. Why would you just die and not cut it off, does she like her bacon hands that much?

I assume she thought that wouldn't work and she was with Makoto and didn't want him to freak out, so she hid.

She knew all the NG codes. This where Munakata gets them all (from the trashed robot). I mean she's obviously good at hacking and her robot cannot be put to sleep so she can snoop around.

The only thing disappointing with Kyoko's death is that it seems her guesses about the mastermind will be proven wrong and she's supposed to be the Ultimate Detective. Her death was also really anticlimatic and just there.

She discovered about the suicide, so she was brilliant. Asahina is the one who said she knows who is the culprit, and blamed everyone, like Tengan. Kyoko didn't say who was the mastermind, so she is not proven wrong, she probably didn't have the time.

FluxWaveZ

I assume she thought that wouldn't work and she was with Makoto and didn't want him to freak out, so she hid.

Why would Kyoko think that?
My own immediate thought in a game like this would be that the only controlling element is the bracelet. Removing that element would thus remove the possibility of death. I thought it was pretty obvious, and even Juzo came up with it. Surely the Ultimate Detective would, too.

The bolded also doesn't sound like Kyoko at all. She's rational, not emotional; she'd hardly care about something like that if it meant her life.

mrmickfran

She would know if she knew everyone's... I forget the acronym/name. The rule on their wrist that kills them.

Remember that the Miayabot had a phone with every NG Code. She just connected the dots.

stupid brainwashing haha

I 100% forgot about the NG codes. Okay that makes sense. Still a stupid rule she had though.

But if she does,
she would just die from blood loss like Juzo
. And lol at Bacon hands.

Why would Kyoko think that?
My own immediate thought in a game like this would be that the only controlling element is the bracelet. Removing that element would thus remove the possibility of death. I thought it was pretty obvious, and even Juzo came up with it. Surely the Ultimate Detective would, too.

Because removing your hand like that could be considered cheating, so she could have been killed by the mastermind as a punishment, just like Mukuro was punished by Junko in the original game. Luckily (?) for Juzo, the mastermind doesn't seem to be around and the secret about the monitors was discovered and the game is over. Cutting her hand off was certainly worth a try if she didn't see a solution, but I wouldn't call that a guarantee of safety.

The bolded also doesn't sound like Kyoko at all. She's rational, not emotional; she'd hardly care about something like that if it meant her life.

She never seemed to value her life that much, honestly. Anyway, it's the same reason she didn't tell him about her NG code. If it's to freak Naegi or not, whatever. She didn't want to let him know because he could try to do something stupid like sacrificing himself. Perhaps Naegi wouldn't let her cut her hand off if he knew it was because of him staying alive.

You're talking about the person who admitted she tasted a corpses saliva without a hint of disgust

I don't think Kyoko gives a shit

I'm not talking about that... see above.

I don't think Tengan is the mastermind. Or at least not the only one. I'm expecting someone else to have his phone, but we'll see. If it is him that could've been cool with more development, but just feels sort of meh right now. I'm open to the next 2 episodes changing my mind, though I'm not expecting it.

Thinking on it, this anime has had a lack of fun or surprising twists. The only two times I came out legitimately surprised were the Hina fakeout and Monaka throwing in the towel so abruptly, but I wouldn't call either of those examples of good writing. I've enjoyed the anime (mostly more in the beginning than the end), but the lack of any sort of true surprises does sort of stick out here.

When all is said and done, Juzo is probably one of the better new characters in the anime. I said it after the last Despair episode, but it's sort of a shame he wasn't in a game. I think he'd be more amazing with more space and time to develop.

This isn't going to have a good finale. DR3 had a strong opening, into a mediocre rest of it, but I guess I was still clinging onto that ""hope"" that it could still end strongly. Not now.

Unless the special turns out to be another full fledged episode instead of a vo special that I've heard about in this thread, I am not expecting a satisfying ending. DR should stick with VNs, LNs and manga.

Actually, even if it is another episode, I'm still not expecting a satisfying ending at this point.

Agreed. Maybe it's because I haven't played the original game in so long but her death didn't have that much of an impact on me sadly. I think in the episode that followed the flashback helped. Also maybe it would have helped if it was in the dub since I played the game in English. Who knows?

A big issue is that no one thought it would stick. Once the Cure W bottle was pointed out everyone laughed off her death. Even if she is scarred for the rest of her life or whatever, it feels empty.

Frankly, I just wish Kodaka hadn't teased anyone from DR1 dying at all. Being on pins and needles and them turning out ok would've been preferable to 2 gotchas.

Zephyx

Did Mitarai ever state the reason why was he sent /came to the FF building?
He's still very suspicious in my opinion as he was scouted personally by Tengan.

FluxWaveZ

Because removing your hand like that could be considered cheating, so she could have been killed by the mastermind as a punishment, just like Mukuro was punished by Junko in the original game. Luckily (?) for Juzo, the mastermind doesn't seem to be around and the secret about the monitors was discovered and the game is over. Cutting her hand off was certainly worth a try if she didn't see a solution, but I wouldn't call that a guarantee of safety.

She never seemed to value her life that much, honestly. Anyway, it's the same reason she didn't tell him about her NG code. If it's to freak Naegi or not, whatever. She didn't want to let him know because he could try to do something stupid like sacrificing himself. Perhaps Naegi wouldn't let her cut her hand off if he knew it was because of him staying alive.

If she's going to die at the start of the 4th Night phase because Makoto still hasn't been killed, where's the risk in cutting her hand off before it occurs, especially considering the deductions she had already made? Makoto was still freaked out when she died and asserted himself based on what she told him. The exact same thing, maybe even to a lesser degree, would have happened if she cut part of her arm off instead, even if she were to die like that.

If she's going to die at the start of the 4th Night phase because Makoto still hasn't been killed, where's the risk in cutting her hand off before it occurs, especially considering the deductions she had already made?

That's why I said it was certainly worth a try in that situation. I'm not saying it's not problematic. Just trying to understand their point before saying it's garbage. I also want to know why she didn't tell about the deductions, because that could lead to them turning the energy off and ultimately saving her.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Mukuro had to do some tinkering is what he's referring to. That said Junko directly states she hadn't completed her brainwashing masterpiece. What's used on Makoto is probably even greater than what was used on the remnants. this episode did give insights on how to reconcile individually turning remnants with the brainwashing. as the ultimate analyst and apparently master detective considering the info she managed to acquire, Junko probably embedded individual scenarios to brainwash each of the remnants aside from Mikan who is just weak willed altogether.

I think the remnants were shown a different video than the the people in the future foundation. Likely the future foundation were shown the same video as the reserve course, that drove them all to suicide.

Also, I'm suprised no else else thought of just cutting off their own hand.

The Juzo stuff was by far the best part of this episode, it helps he's one of the few that actually got a fleshed out arc.

Disappointed its brainwashing again even if it was obvious, a hardcore death like Ruruka's deserved better than being some handwaved bootleg version of Nagito.

Tengan thing is.........eh, makes sense but........eh. Until will we get flashbacks showing what he did I don't think he's alone in this(not counting Chisa) or that's its that simple. Or maybe it is that simple, probably.

I'm a little suprised at Kyoko, not even discussing with Makoto and Hina about what she found out, I could say she was wary of Ryota but there's still her notebook which she knew they would find so either way Ryota was gonna know.
Honestly it feels like Kyoko gave up too easily here, if she's the ultimate detective surely she would've thought about the bracelets and what removing one could mean. If she was so sure she'd die there's no point not to try it taking it off by any means necessary, she definitely has the willpower to cut off her hand.
Her death was good in the sense it paralleled how in DR1 she threw Naegi under the bus to save herself and now she's accepting death while giving him hope, but as for her actual role in the anime..........egh

Drago

God that episode was great.
Juzo is the best character in this whole series by far, when he came back to snap Naegi out of despair I had a fuckin' hype yelp. Even if that was physically impossible.

Also for some reason, brainwashing being used to make the FF members kill themselves offends me so much less than the way it's used in Despair arc. Maybe because it's easier for me to swallow that it could be used to make someone kill themselves and be done with it, and not used as a method to permanently make someone your loyal lackey, especially when those someones are the DR2 cast... :/

Naegi's despair scene was really well done as well. I really thought he was gonna actually kill himself but motherfucking Juzo.

Though yeah as good as it was I have no idea how they are gonna finish off with only one episode to go. We still don't know Byakuya's status, we don't know
where Tengan is and how everyone plans on getting there
, and wtf is going on at Jabberwock? And this is all before you even get to the final confrontation or whatever ends up happening. Unless that special program that takes the place of despair 12 ends up being Future 13, and they essentially make despair 11 a future arc episode because really what the hell is there left to show in depsair arc?

PK Gaming

Maaaaan.

Why not? Makoto is literally an ordinary person. I think a lot of people miss the fact that his talent, The Ultimate Hope, doesn't actually do anything.

JjDZwkB.png

It doesn't give him extraordinary Despair resisting powers. He can't purify people either. He wasn't born with it. He became the Ultimate Hope after his experiences from DR1, and it's the main reason why Makoto is actually pretty compelling as a character, despite being a player surrogate. He's not a miracle worker and he doesn't seem to have superpower behind him. He just has this genuine, uncompromising belief in Hope that no other character in the series has, and it let's him get through difficult situations. That's why he was awful in the earlier parts of DR3. His "talent" should have manifested in his ability to remain proactive during their situation. Instead he just spouts exposition about how they "shouldn't kill each other."

His actions during the resent episodes are in-line with how he was like in the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom