• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTA

To be fair, the anime never made any attempt to portray Ruruka as reasonable. She was a villain, through-and-through. She was the Celeste/Mikan of the game, the mid-story antagonist.

The real problem is Izayoi. I think he's the worst character in the series. He does nothing, he has barely any interesting qualities - the only interesting thing he has said or done is say "dewicious" as an adult - he's basically a tool for Ruruka to manipulate. He's boring, and his "I still love you even though you killed me" thing isn't interesting. How neat would it have been if it turned out that he, since childhood, was her slave, and that he actually hated her? That could have been a cool twist. Perhaps her candy wore off, and Izayoi tried to kill her - making her still be a shitty person for having drugged him, but also being justified in defending herself.

I agree that Izayoi's not much better, but...

Celeste was intentionally goofy, though! I don't really see how that situation can be compared to this; even Mikan's case was better handled. Here there's multiple episodes spent on their backstory, with the show seriously/dramatically trying to say something about trust and being used and so on and... it's completely hard to take any of it seriously because it just boils down to "fuck you, eat this candy even if it kills you because ???". She's nowhere near being a character I'd call a "villain"- she's just the not important bully of a not important character and it all served only to waste time.

Yeah my reading of Celeste is she she was a charlatan who bullshitted her way into making people think she was way more competent than she actually was.

I do think I've come to terms with what DR3 is though, to a certain extent at least. Despair seems to become more about the arbitrary imposition on people, whether it be Hope's Peak or Junko's brainwashing. Obviously that doesn't really do right by those characters, but we're kind of past the point of that mattering.

EDIT: Are we really using "NG Code" in here? C'mon guys. We can be better than that.

True, we've seen on screen now that it's NG行動 or NG Koudou or NG Action or No Good Action or Forbidden Action, as Funi has been translating it all along. NG Code is shroter to write, tho.

To be fair, the anime never made any attempt to portray Ruruka as reasonable. She was a villain, through-and-through. She was the Celeste/Mikan of the game, the mid-story antagonist.

The real problem is Izayoi. I think he's the worst character in the series. He does nothing, he has barely any interesting qualities - the only interesting thing he has said or done is say "dewicious" as an adult - he's basically a tool for Ruruka to manipulate. He's boring, and his "I still love you even though you killed me" thing isn't interesting. How neat would it have been if it turned out that he, since childhood, was her slave, and that he actually hated her? That could have been a cool twist. Perhaps her candy wore off, and Izayoi tried to kill her - making her still be a shitty person for having drugged him, but also being justified in defending herself.

Don't be comparing Ruruka to Celeste or Mikan, she's way worse written than either of those. Especially Celeste, who was actually a lot of fun. I agree on Izayoi, though. He got way more screentime than the likes of Bandai or Gozu but ended up mattering even less than they did.

Taruranto

Yeah, Celeste is great, Mikan is... the worst culprit in DR2 because 2-3 is kinda meh and her execution was a mess, but overall she did have an interesting side, especially regarding her relationship with Junko. (Before DR3 Despair just made her a brainwashed idiot)

Ruruka is just a stupid character.

A recurring theme throughout the series.

I think the ones that actually sting for obvious reasons are Taka, Hiyoko and Celeste. There was more too them. Fucking 3rd cases.

Some people are just made to die like Ibuki, Hifumi and Teruteru who are pretty much joke characters.

But I feel like most people get a good arc and sendoff when they die. Sakura, Gundham, Chiaki, Peko, Nagito. 2nd game was better at it.

Shufel

Gundham at least went out in a good way. Ibuki was just killed off thanks to some despair disease nonsense.

I mean, I know she was mostly just a comic relief character but she was a better one than Soda or Akane and far more likable.

Gundham at least went out in a good way. Ibuki was just killed off thanks to some despair disease nonsense.
That's true, I do appreciate the way it happened at least, as far as Gundham is concerned.

They're both alive. There's still time to ruin them.
I mean, we could have said that before DR3 started airing, but with so little time I don't think they'll be able to do much with them.

I was talking more about the role of the character rather than the quality. Like Celeste, Ruruka was never really propped up as likable at any point in the story, and seemed like she would be the kind of person who would kill. Mikan's different since there wasn't really a way for us to tell that it would happen, but essentially Ruruka served as the "Case 03 mini-boss" (I wonder if DRV3 will keep up this trend?).

h0tp0ck3t

You could literally remove Ibuki from the entire franchise and absolutely nothing would change.

sad-panda-meme-generator-that-makes-me-a-saaaaad-panda-6a8a0b.jpg

and the expelled trio was even worse on top of that because "I can't trust you because you won't eat the things I make even though they'll literally kill you and you've told me this for years, and also I'm going to take advantage of you and bully you but it's your fault" was such bullshit.
it just boils down to "fuck you, eat this candy even if it kills you because ???". She's nowhere near being a character I'd call a "villain"- she's just the not important bully of a not important character and it all served only to waste time.
I agree with this. If they gave a better reason for Ruruka's treatment of Seiko then I still like her. But nope, "don't eat my candies, you're crap" (Ruruka's bit in "when did everything went wrong?" didn't convince me at all lol)
Ibuki remains the best together with Gundham. Two great characters who died too early.
Imagine a world where Ibuki and Gundham survive instead of Akane and Kazuichi
even if I still love Kazuichi <3
Why would you remove the person with the best sprites hands down
Soooo darn good.
Yep, only Chiaki, Hinata, Nagito, Mikan and Fat Mitarai were somewhat relevant. Gundham was a little bit better than the rest of the background.
Yeah I'm surprised at Gundham's screentime (and him appearing in that crossover videogame along with other important characters). I guess Japan also loves him.

You could literally remove Ibuki from the entire franchise and absolutely nothing would change.

It's kinda sad if you think about it.

She made only one contribution to the two trials she was in and it wasn't on purpose.
She had no real or notable relationship with anyone in the cast.
80% of her dialogue was nonsense that was mostly ignored.
Her FTE was as much about Hajime as it was about her.
And to top it off, she died in a double murder.

Opto

Banned
They really should have never attempted to fully explain how anyone fell into ultimate despair because that was worse than what happened in the Killing Joke

GSR

Hope that's legit, because while I think they could wrap up Future in one more episode, I doubt they could do it in a way that feels satisfying.

Permanently A

I don't think Future 12 will be the finale but instead the
Hope side.

Despair 11

• The Tragedy and Remnants in action.
  • Izuru leaves flowers for Chiaki and meets Makoto.
  • Izuru agrees to try to save Class 77 through the NWP

Future 12

• Tengan red herring.
  • Reveal of Ryota's involvement.
  • Reveal of Kirigiri's status.
  • Class 77 arrives.

Side: Hope

• Reveal of the mastermind.
  • Closure for Class 77.
  • Epilogue and hopeful ending.
  • Kirigiri and Makoto
    hold hands
    without protection.

Permanently A

Reveal the mastermind in the same episode that will finish the series?

Sure, that sounds par for the course for Danganronpa 3.

I'm on the "Munakata is the mastermind" train right now so I think it could work. Also he has a sword because he'll commit seppuku after losing both of the people he loved.

So it seems we may know what the 'special program' that takes despair arc 12's slot is now if this schedule listing is legit.

Danganronpa 3: Hope Arc

Hope this is true, because it feels like there's no way two more episode (one of each arc) will wrap things up in a satisfying way. Having a
Hope Arc
as the finale makes sense anyway.

If there's
another arc full of episodes
then there's no reason for them to have fucked up despair side and future's pacing so badly. I'd probably be even more upset.

Finally watched Future - 11

Juzo you're still an idiot.

But you saved maegi , so my opinion of you goes from "complete trash" to "average"

Quite a turn around , but you'll be forgotten because so many characters are better.

Mitarai was receiving order from the chairman , but as it turns out , the order came from ...chiaki .. ( i accept nagito as an alternative)

I'm calling it

So it seems we may know what the 'special program' that takes despair arc 12's slot is now if this schedule listing is legit.

Danganronpa 3: Hope Arc

So, it's pretty much confirmed that the finale will bring the story of the Remnants to the current time in Future. At least whatever story is going to unfold will have more room to breathe.

They made soooooooooooooo much concept art for UDG that they are still using the designs lmao. Took a look through it and you can see designs they ended up using for 3 and V3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom