• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breads

Banned
Call me a sap but my favorite moment was Juzo's final moments in this episode. Recognizing that he was abandoned by Munakata but instead of rolling over still continuing to do what he could to help him
until his last breath(?)

Aside from Juzo's arc my favorite moments were Nagito pulling out a fucking gun and Chisa's IT WAS ME KYOSUKE

I can't get over the absolute dickishness of the Chisa thing, despair Chisa is far better than regular Chisa.

I think that
Tengan is evil, and has always been evil. I think that him saying he was not a Remnant of Despair is him doing wordplay - just because you're evil doesn't mean you're despair. Look at Nagito pre-despair, or Monaca post-despair, or Genocider Sho. Tengan could just as easily be a villain who is above all of this.

Ultimately, I think that Nagito is the villain, for three reasons:

1. They made the point of noting that the mastermind doesn't even need to be in the building (which means that they aren't)

2. We have only seen brief glimpses of Jabberwock Island - and that is the case only because anything more would be too revealing

3. Despair foreshadowed the whole "remote perpetrator" with the school bombing; just as Nagito blew up that building through luck, he started this killing game through luck.

So that means
Tengan gave Hajime all that advice about being normal just to fuck with him
? lol
Well it depends if he was evil all along but I hope that's the cause. When I saw him and Chisa trying to give him advice I knew that it could end up being counter productive. People who have already "made it" or "born with it" telling a depressed person its ok to be normal had a good chance of backfiring as he'd rationalize it as "those privledged people just don't understand".

It helps that later on we saw Chisa was kind of a hypocrite when she hated teaching the reserve course.

Permanently A

Kyoko might actually be dead for reals.

The survivor count showed six last episode.

That's Munakata, Makoto, Aoi, Ryota, Juzo and the mystery 16th person. No room for Kyoko.

That's Munakata, Makoto, Aoi, Ryota, Juzo and the mystery 16th person. No room for Kyoko.

That should be it. Unless they introduce the angle that the bracelet confirms if your dead or alive which would mix the list somewhat.

Derpot

I can't get over the absolute dickishness of the Chisa thing, despair Chisa is far better than regular Chisa.

To be honest, I never liked Chisa since the beginning. She's all too goody-goody, "perfect waifu"-like with all her dedication to Munakata (shuddup, we get it, you love him ok) and that made me "urgh" each time I saw her. So when she became despair, I was thinking that finally, she becomes more interesting lol

Munakata x Juzo is the OTP anyway.

Yeah Future is so much better than Despair it's not even funny, which is partially annoying since that's the side where the returning characters' voices aren't all fucked up in the dub.
That hallucination scene was excellent.

Even though I'm not the biggest fan of the suicide thingy. I liked a lot of aspects with this episode. Thought the hallucination sequence was excellent, the Munakata and Juko thing I also liked.

Really hope Tengan isn't alive. I'm hoping for one final twist.

kewlmyc

Has this been implied at all? We're one episode from the finale and there has been no hints at this as far as I know.

I've been disappointed with the lack of presence from Dangonronpa 2 characters in the future arc. We got one future episode left to my knowledge and we've had a few seconds tease of izuru.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So, if there is an OP animation next week, does the fact that
the bracelets have been disabled mean there will be no counter next week?

I've been disappointed with the lack of presence from Dangonronpa 2 characters in the future arc. We got one future episode left to my knowledge and we've had a few seconds tease of izuru.

Yeah this kind of sucks. It looks like my prediction about 12 episodes not being enough was right. I wonder if they are realizing that somehow with the delay of the last episode.

Regardless though, I'm surprised to see some people calling the Anime awful because I've really enjoyed it.

Yeah this kind of sucks. It looks like my prediction about 12 episodes not being enough was right. I wonder if they are realizing that somehow with the delay of the last episode.

Regardless though, I'm surprised to see some people calling the Anime awful because I've really enjoyed it.

Didn't know the last episode was delayed. Any date given on the airing date? Wouldn't mind if izuru and co didn't show up but they've hinted this is the final hurrah for the hope academy and it's a shame on how little screen time they got. I still expect izuru having a role spending on what this week despair episode shows.

It kind of amazes me how easily we accept that the bracelets are magical and can tell by themselves if someone steps on someone else's shadow or if the wearer has witnessed violence. Shouldn't the mastermind be monitoring everyone's actions at all times for this to make sense?
Yeah, I know, anime...

GreyDaise

Neo Member
Saw the episode! Then backtracked and watched the 1st episode again.

I have a lot of thoughts.

• No counter this week, because there was no OP. (Or ED, for that matter.)
  • Juzo is the BEST. Just the best. He's rocketed to the top of my favorite DR3 character list, passing Seiko.
  • I think Makoto's wrong. I don't think the mastermind is outside the building. I mean, why would someone who's outside the building have to automate everything, when they have complete control and could just control everything remotely, instead?

No. I think that either the mastermind is right in the middle of everyone, and therefore can't risk controlling the setup because they could be caught, or they either figured there was a good chance they could die (and wanted the game to continue if they did) or actively planned to die.

That means that I'm ruling out anyone outside the building and our mysterious 16th participant. But because everything's automated, our mastermind could be one of the remaining students OR someone who died. And by died, I mean actually died, not faked their death.

Makoto's gang is also not exempt, because we have videos that brainwash people into despair.
  • I think the mastermind is unlikely to be Tengan, for meta reasons. He absolutely fits the criteria above, but too many people are pointing fingers at him right now in-show, and that's not how Kodaka operates. Gotta be a twist at the end.

I think that either he's alive but on the side of good and has been communicating with Ryota (which would explain why Ryota's flipping out -- he thinks he's been tricked by despair again), or "Tengan" on the phone is someone completely different (who has probably been pretending to be Tengan because Ryota trusts him). If it's someone different, I don't know who it is. Possibly our mysterious 16th participant?

In episode 1, Ryota came to the meeting because Tengan called him there (via phone). But Tengan was obviously confused as to why he was there. This makes me lean slightly toward the "person on the phone isn't Tengan, but has been communicating with Ryota all along pretending to be Tengan" option.
  • I think that next week's Despair will start with a montage/flashback that will take us up to present day, and the rest of the episode will be re: Jabberwock island folks, and will end with Future and Despair merging into one series. So I think we actually have about 2 to 2.5 episodes of Future plot left (if some isn't completely focused on the Remnants of Despair).

...I'm going to try to come back later and analyze the possiblities for who the mastermind could be more closely. I've got theories.

Permanently A

The countdown started at 16 but there were only 15 inside the building at the start unless they count fortune man outside

Weedman is not counted, if he was Ruruka would be dead to NG code

That should be it. Unless they introduce the angle that the bracelet confirms if your dead or alive which would mix the list somewhat.

Yeah, I was thinking they could do a thing that "the count is tracked by the bracelets and since Juzo cut his off the counter thought he was dead." The only issue with this is that the counter would have to be introduced as an in universe thing in order to be explained whereas up to this point it has only existed in the credits.

It kind of amazes me how easily we accept that the bracelets are magical and can tell by themselves if someone steps on someone else's shadow or if the wearer has witnessed violence. Shouldn't the mastermind be monitoring everyone's actions at all times for this to make sense?
Yeah, I know, anime...

I think that if Seiko was unaware that someone stepped on her shadow, she would not be punished. My guess is that the bracelets react to the wearer's observations or reactions. I don't know if it picks up on "I just opened a door" or "I just violated my NG code," but that is my guess.

Weedman is not counted, if he was Ruruka would be dead to NG code

Yeah, I was thinking they could do a thing that "the count is tracked by the bracelets and since Juzo cut his off the counter thought he was dead." The only issue with this is that the counter would have to be introduced as an in universe thing in order to be explained whereas up to this point it has only existed in the credits.

I don't think that Hiro is counted, but if he was, that would be fine because she never allowed him to leave the facility because he never left.

I think that next week's Despair will start with a montage/flashback that will take us up to present day, and the rest of the episode will be re: Jabberwock island folks, and will end with Future and Despair merging into one series. So I think we actually have about 2 to 2.5 episodes of Future plot left (if some isn't completely focused on the Remnants of Despair).

This has to happen, if only to have some sort of a reasonable ending. There's no way Kodaka and the anime team can finish all the remaining plot threads (even with a hand-waved explanation) in only one episode. I'm leaning on a montage leading to Jabberwock Island, but we might see some sort of reason on the creation of the NWP and the Chiaki AI, as I can't see any reference to DR0 working with the remaining time.

About the mastermind, I remain on the idea that the last revelation has to be another misdirection. Such a telegraphed move doesn't fit with Kodaka's modus operandi; we might see something in Despair that clears this, or even a validation of some of those crazy theories (
Kirijunko or Chiakizuru
) that in my opinion sound too strange, even for Danganronpa.

Off-Topic: Considering the rest of the episodes will be delayed in Funimation but not in Japan and the current one is not yet in Funi (as far as I know), will this thread apply a new spoiler policy or will it keep the current one?

Permanently A

I thought the remaining episodes were gonna be: Despair 11, Future 12, and then in place of Despair 12 there was a "special Danganronpa program"

So the converging timelines idea in the final episode makes sense.

PaulBizkit

So both despair and future have 12 episodes each?

It was so good to finally know what happened
with Makoto and co. immediatly after opening the gate at the end of DR1
. I was looking forward to it since future side started.

DNAbro

I thought the remaining episodes were gonna be: Despair 11, Future 12, and then in place of Despair 12 there was a "special Danganronpa program"

So the converging timelines idea in the final episode makes sense.

If that is true I'm assuming that "special DR program" will relate and or connect it to V3.

Permanently A

KZvnlZQ.png

Future 11
Niiiice we finally get to watch Makoto and the others leaving. And Munakata recognizes Junko was the bad guy after all huh. Yup, it's a suicide caused by the monitors, just as people expected. Ryota recognizes that the videos are probably related to him/his fault. Omg Sayaka is back. That scene was great hahaha, specially Butter!Mondo. Great to see Leon, Ishimaru and Celes one more time ;_; Way to show you're the Ultimate Hope :p

Aaaaand Juzo is the one that still remained alive. Yay, I knew his "death" was pretty anticlimatic. Gozu and Seiko </3 Chisa looking pretty happy there lol and we don't get to see Ruruka destroying herself :p So Juzo was jealous of Makoto because he defeated the woman that blackmailed him years ago and destroyed mankind, welp Juzo's still pretty stupid but I like character flaws.

Yeah ever since it was revealed what Tengan said it felt strange to me, like why would you do that? Munakata has some good arguments there. Noooo Juzo, you should have told the others about the room and get treatment instead of being the hero. So we never learn what's Ryota's NG code? RUN MUNAKATA. RUN AND KISS HIM. Wait, are these FF members where Makoto and co are, or where Togami is? Oh-oh, Ryota is feeling guilty of the videos. Tengan?! We pretty much saw him getting killed, unlike Chisa where there was the possibility her body could have been swapped during the sleeping time hmmm.

NO HAJIZURU THO

I know, right? The DR2 survivors was the thing I was most excited to learn about post DR2, but instead we get a season of Naegi running all the time with some assholes in a killing game (not saying it's bad, I've been enjoying it, but since this is the last thing in relation with Hope's Peak arc, it's dissapointing in a way). Let's hope the finale isn't rushed, since I still want to know what's up with the Monokuma children, the DR1 relatives, Haiji, etc.

If Hajizuru showed up now, we wouldn't get the last-episode mastermind reveal when Nagito shows up

Tengan could have survived - he was still alive when Munakata left since he left the message, so it's possible that he had something that would keep him alive

Not sure why we aren't seeing Hagakure and Togami after the escape

Prediction, all related to Tengan:

Kazuo Tengan is not the Remnant of Despair, meaning that he could lie about being a Remnant of Despair. What is he? He is the one they call Ultimate Despair. Watch out for her him. But no seriously, that's my prediction. We only call the RoD that because we assume that Junko was the main Ultimate Despair. If UD survived after the first game, then he wouldn't be a Remnant of Despair, yes?

His bracelet had the code that it did because he is a liar, and the mastermind knew it.

The reality of the situation is that the killing game was a trap set by Nagito through his luck to kill Tengan. Once Nagito came to understand Tengan's true self, he realized that this was his last chance to destroy Ultimate Despair to become Ultimate Hope.

Also, it's kind of funny how people went from hating Juzo to liking him, whereas I have always been on that train!

1. Seiko Kimura
2. Juzo Sakakura
3. Chisa Yukizome
4. Ryota Mitarai
5. Kazuo Tengan
6. Kyosuke Munakata
7. Koichi Kizakura
8. Great Gozu
9. Miaya Mechogahara
10. Ruruka Ando
11. Sonosuke Izayoi

Also, are we still in a position where there's a person who was unaccounted for? IIRC, we had six in episode 10, but only five people confirmed to have survived (Munakata, Naegi, Asahina, Mitarai, and Sakakura)

Well, all this ep did was convince me how squandered of an opportunity this whole thing was. The concept of the game is great, but ultimately it never mattered much when Yu Narukami going on a homocidal rampage was a much bigger threat that took up the vast majority of the show. If they removed that (or at the very least shortened his murderous rage session) and the show was more traditional Danganronpa (murder investigations and mystery) then the twists coming at the end here would have had more impact.

Burbeting

Banned
I think it's pretty fun that
When Munakata captured Naegi at the early parts of the series, he was all "Yeah, the mastermind is going to come and try to save you!" And Lo and Behold, it was Tengan who went to save Naegi.

GreyDaise

Neo Member
OK, so, thoughts on the mastermind. Here's the picture I'm using as reference:

I'm spoiling part of the list, because I think I'm on to something here. If I'm right, I don't want to ruin it for anyone who doesn't want to know.

Going from least likely to be the mastermind to most:

• Makoto. LOL no. We know Makoto, he's acting like he normally does, we've been following (mostly) from his POV. I suppose he could've been despairified off camera, but I just don't buy it.
  • Anyone outside of the building other than Hakagure: probably not, because they'd have no reason to automate everything. They could remotely control the game. The only way I think it could be an outsider is if they are otherwise occupied (like, say, Byakuya is, with the Future Foundation all around him).
  • Hakagure: I don't buy it unless he's been despairified. Also outside the building (though he's been trapped just outside the whole time). Also probably wouldn't have the resources to create an underwater copy of the building (or the brains).
  • Our mysterious 16th participant -- even if inside the building, they (again) would have no reason to automate everything. They could just control the game like Junko did.
  • The rest of Makoto's gang (i.e., Asahina and Kyoko) -- I suppose they could be despairified; that's the only way I could see them as mastermind or accomplice. But I feel that that would be cheap, especially if one of them is the mastermind. Kinda "lol gotcha! You never expected Makoto's gang, but it was them all along!"
  • Monaca: I don't think so. Not because she went off into space (because: automated), but because I don't believe that she'd be able to resist controlling the game directly. It'd be fun!
  • Junko or Junko AI -- LOL god please don't let it be Junko. And also wouldn't be able to resist controlling the game directly.
  • Seiko and Ruruka -- I feel like we got far enough into both their heads that it's unlikely that they're the mastermind. How they've acted and thought prior to now just doesn't fit.
  • Ryota -- this is possible, but would really throw me for a loop, since I feel like 1) he's too transparent, 2) we've had too many hints that it could be him, or that he's an accomplice. Also, I feel that his guilt over Junko's despair brainwashing is genuine. If he's helping the mastermind and/or despair out, it's inadvertently, IMHO.
  • Tengan -- nope. He'd actually be higher on my suspect list, but everyone suspects him now, and Kodaka likes last-minute twists, so no.
  • Koichi -- hmm. He could be, it would be a pretty ok twist. But my gut feel is that he either actually died saving Kyoko (due to the flashbacks) or he fell into a pit and was rescued from by our 16th participant. (If he is alive, the count is messed up and someone else had to have died, though.)
  • Daisaku, Izayoi, and Great Gozu -- these are, collectively, the people who are near-blanks. We don't know much about them other than surface characteristics. So any COULD be the mastermind. But if any of them are, it would be kind of a let down, since we don't know much about them. So no emotional reaction. ...Daisaku did seem to have a higher level of proficiency re: checking the security of the building via his tablet in ep 1 than would seem normal for a SHSL Farmer, though.
  • Real Miaya -- I'm putting her a little higher than the other "blanks" because 1) I still feel like something weird was going on with her during episode 2, with her being separated from the gang for a while, 2) Monaca was...very strange when she talked about killing her. If I'm remember right, it was just this short, soft "I killed her" then changed the subject (which makes me wonder if Miaya did or said something odd right before Monaca killed her), 3) She's the Ultimate Therapist and is handy with computers, which could be useful, 4) Koichi pointed her out as the possible mastermind early on, and everyone chalked it down her being Miayabot later on. If she were to actually turn out to be the mastermind (or an accomplice), that scene will be retroactively awesome.
  • Chisa -- for obvious reasons. Maybe too obvious.
  • Munakata -- LOL. If you review the facts, Munakata is super, super suspicious. He supervised the construction of the building they are trapped in. He had allll the power to put in a basement level surrounded by water which completely mirrored the top part of the building. He could've definitely put in monitors, etc. He was Tengan's right hand and the Future Foundation's hope, so everyone trusted him. He has (at various times during the Future arc) been surrounded by people, and would have good reason to automate everything, so he wouldn't be caught controlling the game. Prior to his "redemption," he was looking to kill them all, because any one of them could be Despair. (Or, at minimum, he was trying to root out despair by killing anyone who was suspicious.)

Most damning, though: if he's the mastermind, he had another reason to run after Juzo. Juzo was shutting off the electricity and disabling the bracelets, and that would ruin his automated game. The "I never make it in time" might be due to that, as much (if not more) than because Juzo died before he arrived.

He's also currently pointing the finger at Tengan (and by proxy, Ryota, who is receiving text messages from Tengan). Since I doubt either is the mastermind, Munakata is either wrong (could totally be) or the mastermind and/or accomplice to the mastermind, IMHO.

Also: almost noone (both in-story and the audience out-of-story) suspects him, because he was "bad" but went through a reformation arc where Makoto set him straight and on the path of friendship, and he's pitiable because his best friend and love interest both betrayed him, then later died. ...seriously, guys: has anyone thought he was suspicious in this thread for the last couple episodes and I missed it? I haven't read everything, so I might've.

If he's the mastermind, my guess is that he found out about Chisa prior to the game, and had his suspicions about the rest of the gang (especially Juzo and Makoto's gang). So he started the game to take care of that. I could definitely be wrong, but I don't think he's Despair, technically. He's just doing his darndest to root out despair in the most destructive, despair-like way possible.

Like, Munakata is so suspicious when you review the facts that I'd think he was a big red herring, if anyone suspected him. With him currently throwing shade on Tengan and everyone in-show believing it, though...maybe not.
So, yeah, till we get more information,
Munakata
's currently at the tippy-top of my suspect list.

Burbeting

Banned
Having
Munakata
as the mastermind would be such a troll move at this point, that I doubt even Kodaka would have the balls to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom