• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
All Tengan has to do is fucking
TAKE RYOTA'S PHONE

also
fucking FF base happens to have a tower that can broadcast a signal to the entire WORLD (holy fucking shit this is dumb) and chisa gets her hands on the suicide brainwashing videos and she GIVES THEM TO TENGAN!? WAT. why the fuck wouldn't she immediately upload that shit and have everyone commit mass suicide?

If everyone is dead, there wouldn't be any despair, duh.

FluxWaveZ

the whole thing is such a fucking hilariously heavy handed attempt at "maybe hope and despair aren't so different???" even for this series's standards christ. it's way worse than kyosuke ever was

I like the concept a lot in theory, but we've already got far better examples with Nagito (the best one) and Munakata (I like it, although it wasn't as effective as it could be because it was within DR3).

Now, it's very superficial.
I also don't think they do that great of a job at showing why everyone in the world being Hope slaves would be a bad thing; I guess it's the part where we're supposed to assume they'd actually have the demeanor of zombies?

Bingo to the bolded; that's what I'm saying.
They talk about how Mitarai being there wasn't part of the plan, which is why Tengan was surprised, but why then was he outfitted with a bracelet and a dumb NG code when everyone was made to be knocked out when everything started? He could have been killed in any number of ways or killing himself. It doesn't make sense.

The only reason I can think of is from a writer level.
Separating Mitarai from the group would have been easy, and breaking him with a broadcast of the game easier still, but I think Kodaka didn't know (or didn't care enough) how to do that without attracting undue attention early
. Flawed storytelling at its finest.

I like the concept a lot in theory, but we've already got far better examples with Nagito (the best one) and Munakata (I like it, although it wasn't as effective as it could be because it was within DR3).

I also don't think they do that great of a job at showing why everyone in the world being Hope slaves would be a bad thing; I guess it's the part where we're supposed to assume they'd actually have the demeanor of zombies?

The moment it was confirmed that the Future Foundation would be the focus of this anime, I thought we were going to get the polar extreme of the chaotic despair that Junko embodied. And it seemed that it was going for a middle point between both philosophies that sprouted from Hope's Peak after it was clear that Munakata and Naegi would clash.
But I didn't expect hope brainwashing to be the endgame, even if it works with Junko's method in DR3.

it kinda reminds me of the usual law vs chaos endings you see in smt games
hope would be law, where everyone will be ok but mindless
despair will be chaos, just more suicidal vs anything goes

dunno what the neutral route would end up being

FluxWaveZ

dunno what the neutral route would end up being

Find out on the next episode of:
il8WNEe.png

NeonZ

All Tengan has to do is fucking
TAKE RYOTA'S PHONE

also
fucking FF base happens to have a tower that can broadcast a signal to the entire WORLD (holy fucking shit this is dumb) and chisa gets her hands on the suicide brainwashing videos and she GIVES THEM TO TENGAN!? WAT. why the fuck wouldn't she immediately upload that shit and have everyone commit mass suicide?

Junko wants chaos and people acting in irrational ways, not humanity's extinction.

From what we saw, I think it was already complete. It's just that he didn't to use it for reasons, and apparently stealing or forcing him to deploy is much more complex to do than that sham of a mutual killing.

Necromancy would've been preferable.

Complete or not, that was my point. Why didn't Tengan just keep it simple and pull a Nagito? Ryota isn't exactly depicted as someone who is hard to manipulate or push around. And he seemed to have some reverence for Tengan, so it's not like it would've been someone he hated pushing him. Going through a killing game that kills the people who are viewed as the big hopes of the world seems silly.

EPISODE 12 FUTURE

Huh, maybe Tengan became Despair by watching the video? So he is the mastermind after all?? Go Ryota! Wait so he's going to brainwash everyone into hope?! "We're not as strong as you!" Okay I can understand Ryota about that. LMAO did Ryota just brainwashed Asahina with a video lasting less than 2 seconds? Hahaha can't believe this is happening, poor rescue force. "If someone gets in my way, get rid of them" Oh come on Ryota! Even that's too much.

Yeah Munakata for the rescue. Ahh that music~ WTF so Tengan's goal was killing almost all of the Future Foundation members just so he could give a push to Ryota about his video? Seriously? Wait is this series really ending about stopping a kid from uploading his brainwashing video to the whole world? lol And a 30 minute countdown to top it off. Of course only Asahna gets shot. Hahahaha there's a button for Worldwide broadcast. Nooo Komaru and Toko. LOL how can Monaca watch this from space?

Ahhh Junko out of nowhere. I admit her making fun of Tengan and Munakata is pretty funny, but is it really necessary for a recap at this point? Hey Ruruka didn't get shown xD The ending theme song already?! Oh goddamit Hagakure. Yoooo Togami! Finally! But why did the rescue force just stood there doing nothing? lol YES HAJIZURU AT LAST

But overall, this episode...
latest

UberTag

Danganronpa 3 killed the series for me.
Isn't that an inherent requirement of all long-running visual novel series that gain notoriety?
Danganronpa, Zero Escape, Corpse Party... all wind up getting completely undermined the more installments they receive.

FluxWaveZ

Isn't that an inherent requirement of all long-running visual novel series that gain notoriety?
Danganronpa, Zero Escape, Corpse Party... all wind up getting completely undermined the more installments they receive.

Ace Attorney has been going on for 15 years now and Spirit of Justice is one of the series' strongest entries. Never has it received any sort of entry that I would say comes near to 'killing' it.

Maebe

I'm amazed this is actually happening. Why did he need to go this far just for the hope video? Would Mitarai really not have made it otherwise? Considering his guilt level I don't see how it would be difficult to convince him without hosting a killing game at your workplace. This is so needlessly complicated for a video.

UberTag

Ace Attorney has been going on for 15 years now and Spirit of Justice is one of the series' strongest entries. Never has it received any sort of entry that I would say comes near to 'killing' it.
Well, okay... Phoenix Wright is a special flower. Although the first Apollo Justice (PA4) sure came close to pulling the rug out from things. Good thing they were able to land the recovery. (I still need to play Spirit of Justice.)

MANUELF

Banned
Now I understand why this needed to be an anime to work
Because a game story this stupid is sure to motivate everyone to ask for refunds

The common point between those series and their main difference with Ace Attorney is their overarching plot. The closest thing is the Fey family thread of the original trilogy, but that wasn't the raison d' etre of the franchise as it is on those games.

Constructing a arc spanning various games seems to be difficult to Japanese VN developers.

FluxWaveZ

The common point between those series and their main difference with Ace Attorney is their overarching plot. Constructing a arc spanning various games seems to be difficult to Japanese VN developers.

Yeah, which is another reason why I was glad when I heard V3 was taking the reboot route. It remains to be seen whether Kodaka will truly be able to help himself, though, but I can't imagine there'll be much of anything outside of minor references from the Hope's Peak saga in V3 after DR3.

Yeah, which is another reason why I was glad when I heard V3 was taking the reboot route. It remains to be seen whether Kodaka will truly be able to help himself, though, but I can't imagine there'll be much of anything outside of minor references from the Hope's Peak saga in V3 after DR3.

At this point, I think we can safely say that everyone is glad of that. The current plotline has become baggage to the franchise, and it must be excised from the concept of Danganronpa; Kodaka has already proven himself with the previous installments, and DR3 has enough inconsistencies within itself to show that he didn't write at the top of his game.

I expect references to the Hope's Peak story, but bringing any plot threads from the current canon might be harmful.

God i hate how magic brainwashing has become the crux of this series, admittedly it was a tall order to logically explain how a high school girl managed to end the world but then you shouldn't have wrote in that premise in the first place if you had no plan on how to explain it.

Reminds me of horror movies where you have directors/writers come up with some cool scary concept/premuse but they have no idea how to resolve it and so the 3rd act is always a mess.

JulianImp

Haven't even gotten around to watching the latest future episode, but man it sounds like everything I had hoped for: More brainwashing!

...Except not. I insist that brainwashing is a plot point that shouldn't be used under most circumstances, since it is a dumb ass-pull that somehow feels even more out of place than Nagito's luck, for crying out loud. It removes agency from a character, and doing it en masse only helps highlight how little importance any characters had in the DR3 storyline except for Junk-o (I've honestly gotten tired of her by now). Still, even that pales in comparison to Juzo keeping his forbidden crush a secret over stopping a girl who's brainwashing people to bring ruin and chaos to the world. Why did every single character in DR3 have to keep such an iron grip on the damn idiot ball?

In the end, it actually looks more like crappy fanfiction than a legitimate, honest attempt at tying loose ends for the fans of the series when all's just being handwaved with "the people who could stop Junko were all brainwashed, oblivious and/or stupid". We didn't get any kind of attachment to the 77th class, HinataxNanami felt overly forced and boring, Junk-o's plot relying on a mass-brainwashing video was stupid and the student council killing game didn't even feel like that much of a tragic event when she supposedly could've brainwashed people with a stupid Monokuma Theater clip playing in reverse (and the same holds true for Nanaki's role as the sacrifice to supposedly "complete" the video that drove the 77th class to despair).

Then there were even great inconsistencies within the supposedly flawless brainwashing video when Chisa failed to succumb to it even as she was restrained and forced to watch it, and had to get her brain poked by Mukuro to complete the process for some stupid reason. Then, the 77th class were somehow paralyzed by Junk-o's second video (I guess the v2.0 patch removed the need for physical restraints), which was even more stupid, and the best part with the second video is that it was able to insert suggestions within live footage, for crying out loud! Asspulls can be bearable if used with moderation or for a good enough reason, but the magical brainwashing videos that are holding both Despair and Future sides hostage fail at both criterion, being little more than a magical plot device that can do whatever because the writer willed it, logic be damned.

tl;dr: DR3 is so despairingly bad it hurts, and I only wish I could un-watch it.

TWILT

Banned
Future 12

...I'm not sure what to think of what I just watched. Well, it's mostly negative thoughts I suppose, but damn

At this point, I'm just hoping (lol) for a cool/hype Hajime and Makoto teamup and seeing that death montage excluding her, Kyoko's reveal that she's still alive. Danganronpa always at least has a pretty epic finale of sorts, so I want at least a fun one from DR3. Kibou, right...?

JulianImp

Future 12

...I'm not sure what to think of what I just watched. Well, it's mostly negative thoughts I suppose, but damn

At this point, I'm just hoping (lol) for a cool/hype Hajime and Makoto teamup and seeing that death montage excluding her, Kyoko's reveal that she's still alive. Danganronpa always at least has a pretty epic finale of sorts, so I want at least a fun one from DR3. Kibou, right...?

Don't worry, I bet the finale with come with an extra dressing of last-minute plot twists, as per DR writing standards.

It turns out that the brainwashing video that turns people to despair is the DR3 anime itself.

Maebe

I thought the same thing. Haven't we already been here in sdr2 with Dark Naegi showing how talent and hope can corrupt someone but with far better writing. Now several characters are like him but not good.

UberTag

Don't worry, I bet the finale with come with an extra dressing of last-minute plot twists, as per DR writing standards.

It turns out that the brainwashing video that turns people to despair is the DR3 anime itself.
So we should expect a rush of mass suicides on Thursday then? (Or later thanks to FUNimation's delays in a last-ditch effort to save the human race.)

Everyone's crying tears of salt I'm just sitting here like
AT LEAST IT'S NOT JUST JUNKO AGAIN. I mean she manipulated events, but still the actions were based on other people and not Junko's amazing hindsight.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
AT LEAST IT'S NOT JUST JUNKO AGAIN. I mean she manipulated events, but still the actions were based on other people and not Junko's amazing hindsight.

There is still 1 more episode.

FluxWaveZ

I mean... I can't believe I would have ever thought like this before DR3, but I think if this was going to devolve into utter absurdity regardless, I would have preferred seeing them asspull a reason for Junko to return.

Edit: Well, to be clear, I actually think I would be discontent with both equally. There's at least the hilarity the alternative would bring instead of it just being boring.

Bingo to the bolded; that's what I'm saying.
They talk about how Mitarai being there wasn't part of the plan, which is why Tengan was surprised, but why then was he outfitted with a bracelet and a dumb NG code when everyone was made to be knocked out when everything started? He could have been killed in any number of ways or killing himself. It doesn't make sense.

One possibility is that Mitarai was brought there against Tengan's knowledge or wishes by the same person who made it so that he would be fitted with that NG.

Permanently A

God I wish Munakata was the mastermind instead.

My fanfiction: I keep everything the same except Future 12. Tengan is a red herring and the real mastermind is Munakata. Munakata became obsessed with rooting out Despair because (from a chance encounter with Nagito) he believes that if even a single seed of Despair remains, Hope can never truly bloom because Despair will always grow and always be able to corrupt Hope. He has always held these beliefs subconsciously but his worst fears are realized when he learned that Chisa was secretly Despair and that Juzo was lying to him.

He knows that Junko is the mastermind but can't do anything about it, so he begins preparing.

He creates the secret base and enlists Ryota's help in exchange for protecting him and keeping his secret that Ryota's Despair anime ruined the world.

His goal by using the brainwashing monitors is basically a trial by fire - anyone who would break under the influence of seeing their sins could fall to Despair, and would therefore be forced to kill themselves before that could happen. Anyone who could believe in hope strongly enough to not fall prey to their sins would be spared. (in this version Makoto would be able to resist the brainwashing) Munakata would be chasing Makoto as a ruse, his true goal was to get Makoto close to a monitor by the knockout time so he could test him to see if he was really the Ultimate Hope and could resist being broken.

He reveals himself as the mastermind after he kills Ryota for creating the Despair video. He admits that Makoto is the Ultimate Hope because Makoto was able to resist the video, but he is doubtful of Aoi. He restrains Makoto and forces Aoi to watch the video. Aoi tries to kill herself and Makoto appeals to him by explaining that everyone has the potential to become hope or despair, and its their responsibility to work together to bring people to hope. Without that, even he or Munakata could become Despair. Munakata thinks about how he killed Juzo and Chisa, and decides that the only right thing to do is watch the video himself despite Makoto begging him not to. He sees Juzo and Chisa standing there wordlessly. He kills himself.

The End of Hope's Peak Academy.

but this is good too I guess

Okay, so

Wild card stuff:

If there is info that I missed that makes this impossible, please let me know, but what about this: Tengan didn't create the NG codes, and in fact, the only thing he did was intend for the bracelets to activate the nearest TV and wake up the person. It was another person who added the poison and the NGs to the bracelets, someone who wanted to thwart Tengan's plan.

Let's consider this: Munakata apologizes, talking about how he is always too late. This could be assumed to be a comment on Juzo, but that it was vague feels like he's not apologizing to Juzo at all. In fact, if anything, his comments in Despair 11 (I think it was that ep anyway) suggests that he was apologizing to Chisa - if I recall, he made a comment apologizing for not being there for her. So what if we assume that Munakata was apologizing to the late Chisa for not being able to stop Juzo in time? After all, now that Juzo has removed everyone's bracelets, Mitarai no longer is restricted on what he can do with his talent. Think about this too: when he finds Chisa's corpse, Munakata apologizes. Again, he could be apologizing for allowing her to fall to despair through his absence, but the fact that he has made two vague apologies suggests to me that he is working with Chisa to prevent Mitarai's hope anime from being shared. Also, I think that his purpose with Makoto was to bait Tengan rather than to actually kill Makoto.

With that though, I don't think that Tengan, Munakata, or Chisa are the mastermind. They are most definitely schemers, but I think that their scheming is being influenced - either directly or indirectly - by one person. Mr. Nagito Komaeda. Think about it: Nagito's goal has and always will be to see ultimate hope grow from ultimate despair. Consider what Danganronpa 3 has shown us.

1. A killing game
2. The love of Munakata's life dying
3. Munakata killing his only living ally
4. Three former friends quickly descending into hatred for one another before all three die
5. One of Makoto's closest friends dying, if not his closest friend period
6. The use of the movie that caused the Tragedy

There are a lot of very powerful examples of despair at work in this I would say. And let me just ask you this: can you name one single thing that would be a more effective tool with which to force people to experience hope? It would also stand to reason that Nagito understood Mitarai and his talent, since he was one of only a few people not involved with Junko's plan to personally see Mitarai and his work. All Nagito needed was a bit of planning and a lot of luck, and he's capable of both in spades. He wants Mitarai to use everyone as stepping stones to a bright new hope.

tl;dr

1. Tengan set up the game to push Mitarai to execute his hope video
2. Munakata created the NGs in hopes of preventing Tengan's will from being done and wiping out the Future Foundation
3. Nagito Komaeda is the ultimate mastermind, and he used his luck to ensure that the pieces would all fall into place.

Soriku

Zzzzzz the Hope Video seems like a logical conclusion I guess...but everything is so boring. I don't even care how dumb the plot developments are.

V3 can't come soon enough.

FluxWaveZ

tl;dr

1. Tengan set up the game to push Mitarai to execute his hope video
2. Munakata created the NGs in hopes of preventing Tengan's will from being done and wiping out the Future Foundation
3. Nagito Komaeda is the ultimate mastermind, and he used his luck to ensure that the pieces would all fall into place.

Like I said last week, I'm going to say you're overestimating this show yet again and point #2 is not happening. Point #3 is very likely not happening, either.

It was fully obvious that Munakata's arc was over with after Naegi's speech. The only thing that would be left would be a heroic sacrifice moment. There's not going to be any plot twists revolving around him happening anymore.

It's so goddamn absurd that Mitarai
Finished his hope video sometime after his run in with Junko, somehow has the gigantic contrivance of an ability to broadcast it to every single screen in the world (and space), had it all set up in the future foundation building so that he could do what he intended IN THE FIRST PLACE, but then didn't use it. He seemed pretty ready to use it so the script magically making him opposed to it makes the whole thing even stupider.

Also, if he just has a generic type brainwashing video that literally forces anyone to obey you, then there's absolutely no reason for the despair or suicide videos to specifically exist. The despair videos reworking their brains to be like Junko isn't a very good excuse since she clearly doesn't give a shit about that if she's brainwashing them into that state as it is.

It's so goddamn absurd that Mitarai
Finished his hope video sometime after his run in with Junko, somehow has the gigantic contrivance of an ability to broadcast it to every single screen in the world (and space), had it all set up in the future foundation building, but then didn't use it. He seemed pretty ready to use it so it makes Tengan motivation even stupider.

i'm pretty sure tengan had it all set up so he could broadcast the hope video to everywhere and probably told him about everything was available for him to use and hell, egged him on to do so, but mitarai just couldn't follow through until now

why the hell didn't
Ryota just brainwash Naegi?

"Hey Asahina open his eyes for a second"
this shit is stupid

and why is the brainwashing
video on Asahina and the suicide video on Naegi so easily undone? Why is the despair video seemingly permanent, requiring something like the NWP to change while a good shake is enough to break out of the other two? Why wouldn't Junko/Ryota make them all permanent?

i'm pretty sure tengan had it all set up so he could broadcast the hope video to everywhere and probably told him about everything was available for him to use and hell, egged him on to do so, but mitarai just couldn't follow through until now
That kind of defeats the purpose since
Tengan would've needed to have the video to do any of that to begin with and if he did, he could have broadcasted it himself. It's the same sort of "why didn't you do this in the first place" situation in the end.

UberTag

and why is the brainwashing
video on Asahina and the suicide video on Naegi so easily undone? Why is the despair video seemingly permanent, requiring something like the NWP to change while a good shake is enough to break out of the other two? Why wouldn't Junko/Ryota make them all permanent?
I'm not sure these are questions we're supposed to be asking.
In other words, they're permanent unless the plot calls for them to not be permanent... in which case the 'ole shake-shake, slap to the face works just fine. Also, a wizard did it.

ChrisD

...huh

Well, that was definitely not something I'd recommend people to watch now. It feels like if you weren't watching as they released and at least had the excitement that a weekly schedule brings, you'd be best off just not watching 3.

I say it after every episode: I'm still enjoying my time in watching, and it hasn't ruined the entire series for me. But, yeaaaah, I really can't see myself ever suggesting this anime to anyone.

Future 12:
PLEASE don't have Junko show up in Hope in ANY form. The theater scene with Chisa and her is basically them watching things from the grave (as spirits or something, I guess?)

So she's dead

Please
Keep it
That way
Kodaka

That is the one thing that I hope so badly doesn't happen. There's no need for it now, we have plenty of human things (like what is hope or... Something?) to make a serviceable ending with instead.

Permanently A

...huh

Well, that was definitely not something I'd recommend people to watch now.

Yeah this definitely bothers me. I finally recently managed to get my friends to play DR2 but now I'm dreading them finishing and asking about DR3. Half of my enjoyment of the show was reading about it on the internet and theorizing and making memes and such, and the other half came from genuinely enjoyable stuff like Juzo's redemption. But beyond that... the story is ultimately not very good. Which is really disappointing. I can't in good confidence recommend this to anyone.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
...huh

Well, that was definitely not something I'd recommend people to watch now. It feels like if you weren't watching as they released and at least had the excitement that a weekly schedule brings, you'd be best off just not watching 3.

I say it after every episode: I'm still enjoying my time in watching, and it hasn't ruined the entire series for me. But, yeaaaah, I really can't see myself ever suggesting this anime to anyone.

Future 12:
PLEASE don't have Junko show up in Hope in ANY form. The theater scene with Chisa and her is basically them watching things from the grave (as spirits or something, I guess?)

So she's dead

Please
Keep it
That way
Kodaka

That is the one thing that I hope so badly doesn't happen. There's no need for it now, we have plenty of human things (like what is hope or... Something?) to make a serviceable ending with instead.
No, you see, the theater scene shows that the after life is cannon in the Danganronpa universe. Next episode will have Hagakure get possessed by the ghost of Junko, and will end on a cliff hanger for Danganronpa V3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom