• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanently A

okey dokey, time to pick this thing apart.

• Chisa gave the videos to the leader of the FF instead of broadcasting the despair video to brainwash the world. She should have no qualms about this since its exactly what Junko did.
  • Tengan made a killing game to convince Ryota to upload the hope video instead of just taking his phone.
  • The Hope's Peak Overseas Branch has a device that can simultaneously broadcast a signal to the entire world and even reaches space.
  • Tengan shuts down the Hope's Peak Overseas Branch and builds an underwater portion to it because ???
  • Junko is somehow able to insert the despair brainwash editing techniques into a live broadcast.
  • Mitarai's talent is animating, his NG code is he can't use his talent, therefore he can't play a video on his phone???
  • How would the bracelets even detect Mitarai using his phone, or Asahina getting punched/kicked as opposed to hit with a weapon, or Seiko's shadow being stepped on?
  • Mitarai leaves Naegi alone instead of brainwashing him too.
  • Junko built a secret dungeon under Hope's Peak without anyone noticing.
  • Class 77 goes after Chisa by themselves.
  • Chiaki is a mary sue that didn't do anything but die.
  • Izayoi has no character.
  • Ruruka has absolutely horrendous motivations.
  • Class 77 are brainwashed and retroactively absolved of any moral responsibility for their actions as Despairs.
  • Tengan includes Ryota in the game and gives him an NG code increasing his chances of dying and the whole killing game being for nothing.
  • Twilight Syndrome has absolutely no relevance to Despair side's greater plot.
  • Kirigiri arbitrarily decides not to enter the secret room and misses an opportunity to stop the game right there.
  • Why did Tengan even make the secret room?
  • Monaca literally says fuck it and leaves

what did I miss?

UberTag

Did the extra character on the Future Arc opening counter ever get explained or no? Or are we just assuming it's been accounting for Yasuhiro the entire time (who was shot at for something like 9 episodes by a chopper for some dumb reason until Byakuya showed up with the cavalry and casually shot it down)?

Soriku

How would the bracelets even detect Mitarai using his phone, or Asahina getting punched/kicked as opposed to hit with a weapon, or Seiko's shadow being stepped on?

A M A Z I N G T E C H N O L O G Y

Hell who even made the bracelets??

Permanently A

Did the extra character on the Future Arc opening counter ever get explained or no? Or are we just assuming it's been accounting for Yasuhiro the entire time (who was shot at for something like 9 episodes by a chopper for some dumb reason until Byakuya showed up with the cavalry and casually shot it down)?

If a new character doesn't get introduced then it was counting Hiro.

Wait a fucking minute who was in that goddamn chopper

Stalk

I like your post Permanently A, but for sake of discussion I'm gonna try and defend some points. Some I can't do anything about. Not for fact of liking it but for devil's advocate.

(although I have no major gripes personally I've always felt DR is kinda shlocky and brick-a-brack with DR2 being the only decent twist in the series. I enjoy the series but I don't expect too much from it myself.)

Chisa gave the videos to the leader of the FF instead of broadcasting the despair video to brainwash the world. She should have no qualms about this since its exactly what Junko did.

Her brain working like Junko's =/= being Junko. The idea was to be duplicitous and make things unstable from the inside, convincing the future foundation to take itself down in the process. Which in a way, was a success. With Miratai brainwashing the world - who is going to trust anyone from that group anymore? Or those who associated with them.

Tengan made a killing game to convince Ryota to upload the hope video instead of just taking his phone.

Yeah I don't get this one. Surely he could've strong armed him regardless? Part of me likes the idea because it's something along the lines of using the techniques of your enemy to win. Tengen's message also makes this unclear. Had he been exposed to the video off screen? That's the only way I could think to put it. An icon of hope acting in an extreme manner?

The Hope's Peak Overseas Branch has a device that can simultaneously broadcast a signal to the entire world and even reaches space.

there are giant robots and all manner of other shit. I can pass this off as "weird world". Plot convenience indeed though.

Tengan shuts down the Hope's Peak Overseas Branch and builds an underwater portion to it because ???

He was hoping to turn it into a Seaworld and after the tragedy things got a bit awkward.

Junko is somehow able to insert the despair brainwash editing techniques into a live broadcast.

A delay on the broadcast as she edits it?

Mitarai's talent is animating, his NG code is he can't use his talent, therefore he can't play a video on his phone???

His real talent is brainwashing, he'd be using his talent by using a video he created.

How would the bracelets even detect Mitarai using his phone, or Asahina getting punched/kicked as opposed to hit with a weapon, or Seiko's shadow being stepped on?

How did Mondo get turned into butter? Things like the NWP exist it's hardly unbelievable that technology is weird in this world. You'd expect some element of human interaction though for those

Mitarai leaves Naegi alone instead of brainwashing him too.

On top of that a bump to the noggin appears to have stopped Asahina from exhibiting symptoms.

Maybe despair just needs a bash on the head.

Junko built a secret dungeon under Hope's Peak without anyone noticing.

She doesn't have the workforce at this point so I found this strange. The series seemed so concerned with portraying Junko with the same strength as post tragedy Junko - it would make sense there but she wasn't given enough screen time to explain it. You could argue that it was done using the reserve course students however since it was around the same time she had them trailing her around.

Class 77 goes after Chisa by themselves.

I don't quite get why this point exactly is a problem, could you expand? Is it more a personal dislike with the way the story went or.

Chiaki is a mary sue that didn't do anything but die.
Izayoi has no character.
Ruruka has absolutely horrendous motivations.

Most characters in this series are pretty two dimensional I feel but I agree, Izayoi was probably the worst. He was there as a pet to Ruruka. You could argue his lack of character comes from the fact he was kept under her "spell".

[*]Class 77 are brainwashed and retroactively absolved of any moral responsibility for their actions as Despairs.

Wasn't this stated by DR2 that they'd been brainwashed anyway? I don't get the surprise here.

Tengan includes Ryota in the game and gives him an NG code increasing his chances of dying and the whole killing game being for nothing.

His motives are complex.

Kirigiri arbitrarily decides not to enter the secret room and misses an opportunity to stop the game right there.
Why did Tengan even make the secret room?

I, uhh. I...

Find out on Thursday!

Monaca literally says fuck it and leaves

Literally the worst thing :( (I really enjoyed UDG)

Eumi

Ok, so you know what the worst thing here is?

I really like this twist.

It's incredibly fitting that hope can be just as destructive as despair, and Mitarai's actions make a lot more sense than Junko's ever did.

But, like, fuck man. Why is it locked in this poorly written schlock?

Ah well, at least it's a fitting enough ending for the series now. Not gonna lie I enjoyed that last episode, so if hope keeps that up and does pull a 'the video was actually despair because Junko' then I suppose this will at least end on a relative high note.

why the hell didn't
Ryota just brainwash Naegi?

"Hey Asahina open his eyes for a second"
this shit is stupid

Why
would that work on someone already brimming with hope?

Also, the
footsteps at the end of the episode sounded like they were in tune with Junko's theme, though it was probably a trick of my brain.

I don't really have a problem with the plot. Shrug.

Why
would that work on someone already brimming with hope?

Also, the
footsteps at the end of the episode sounded like they were in tune with Junko's theme, though it was probably a trick of my brain.

I don't really have a problem with the plot. Shrug.
because it's
literal magic brainwashing that looks to turn you into a soulless "zombie" that takes orders? Its absolutely nothing like Naegi's hope, the brainwashing is "hope" in name only.

Nightbird

That was.... disappointing?

I mean, I like that Miterai is going Nega-Junko, but I feel like that could have been done a lot better than this.

BTA

I had heard that this episode was kinda ?????, and even then, wow.

Tengan, what the fuck? Mitarai was so beaten down that you just needed to ask for the Hope Video and he would have given it to you! You didn't need to murder people just to fucking inspire him?! I did laugh when they showed the van but otherwise like... what is even happening? Is the "final boss" of all this really just an action movie level stopping of this upload?

It doesn't feel like there's any stakes here, and I think it's because the world is in such a shit state that even the horrible thing Mitarai's doing isn't that bad. Don't get me wrong, it's clearly bad and I think it's fucked up to do, but would it kill them to show some civilians/survivors being affected by it? Even showing someone in Towa City who wasn't a main character from UDG would help. The only nameless non-Future Foundation people they really showed were Monokuma-mask wearing thugs and that doesn't really sell me on how bad of a thing this is.

Also,
Junko and Chisa recapping exactly what was already stated in the last 18 minutes was completely unnecessary. It was too heavy-handed about the BY THE WAY REMEMBER NEW WORLD IS A THING bit for my tastes as well; stuff like the last shot in the episode would have been enough, since it's not like the prior episode felt like it needed to suddenly remind the viewer what New World was or anything like that. I'd honestly have rather they kept the OP. I guess they needed to wrap up that framing device but it could have been much faster.

(Do I even need to spoiler tag? Some of you seem pretty cool with dropping huge spoilers without them...)

FStubbs

No, you see, the theater scene shows that the after life is cannon in the Danganronpa universe. Next episode will have Hagakure get possessed by the ghost of Junko, and will end on a cliff hanger for Danganronpa V3.

Or Komaru.

Wait ... maybe that was Monaca's plan?

Eumi

Ok, so just a thought but what the hell was Tengens plan after Mitarai got caught in the game? There didn't seem to be anything there to stop him being killed, and the only reason he survived was because Juzo shut off the power. Surely he must have had some back up plan to make sure Mitarai survives, right?

Right?

One question
if anyone can fill me in is if tengen was behind all this and wasn't expecting mitarai then how was the bracelet made for him in advance. Probably something obvious that I missed but thought I might as well ask.

MSMrRound

One question
if anyone can fill me in is if tengen was behind all this and wasn't expecting mitarai then how was the bracelet made for him in advance. Probably something obvious that I missed but thought I might as well ask.

Brainwashing. That's the answer to everything.

BTA

One question

Eh, I don't think it'd be that hard for him to adapt the game to handle one additional bracelet while everyone was knocked out, and it's also not that much of a stretch to assume he had a backup bracelet to use. Given how ridiculous some of the forbidden actions are, Mitarai's isn't even the most questionable/difficult thing to track. Though why he didn't just lock Mitarai up somewhere and force him to watch the game at a distance, even if he was still in the building... that's the real question.

Eumi

Eh, I don't think it'd be that hard for him to adapt the game to handle one additional bracelet while everyone was knocked out, and it's also not that much of a stretch to assume he had a backup bracelet to use. Given how ridiculous some of the forbidden actions are, Mitarai's isn't even the most questionable/difficult thing to track. Though why he didn't just lock Mitarai up somewhere and force him to watch the game at a distance, even if he was still in the building... that's the real question.
It makes even less sense that he still played since thanks to despair arc the audience know who he is so he could have totally been locked away somewhere and rolled out in this last episode. Hell, have that be a reveal that he survived after falling into the river.

BTA

It makes even less sense that he still played since thanks to despair arc the audience know who he is so he could have totally been locked away somewhere and rolled out in this last episode. Hell, have that be a reveal that he survived after falling into the river.

I've watched enough Kamen Rider to know that anyone falling into a river is still alive, but fair.

...I also didn't even make the connection that he was the same character across both arcs for a decent number of episodes, but that's because I watched Future 1 almost 2 months before the rest of the show and he was barely a presence in Future for a while.

Ohhhh, god this show is so pointless. I wish I never watched it. I wish I'd never gotten into this series so I wouldn't even have considered watching it. DR3 is so bad, guys. It's broken me.

Mendrox

Didn't like that episode. Seemed like the plot went into that direction because it was unpredictable...which isn't good.

But nice to see that this eyecatcher has almost been right all along:

c1e35203f498787be09600c7f0aacca7.jpg

Except for Ruruka and Kyoko/Asahina (which could be related to Asahinas fake death and Kyokos survival) it is correct. Even Tengan was the only one facing the other direction. Stupid that the plot was that easy now.

Edit: I am counting MechaGekko as Monaka...who still lives.

Predictions for hope arc: Hinata fucks everyone up and talks to Ryota. Naegi appears and Hinata and Naegi use talk no jutsu. Ryota will fight their hope and after a few things all three of them realize that there isn't only hope and despair etc. and that everything should be neutral or some shit. Kyoko wakes up and helps Asahina.

1 1/2 minutes for the epilogue and after the credits we will see Weedman. It gets dark and he just grins - "to be continued in Danganronpa V3". Twist: the Hagakure family received the evil spirit of lies and it transfered to Weedman. He is the mastermind of everything and just doesn't know. His prediciton are 30% accurate because the spirit sometimes pities him, because he fully believes in his powers.

I'm dreading the SDR2.5 OVA. Everything outside of DR1 and SDR2 has been of............. questionable quality at best. Every addition to the Hope's Peak story arc seems to end in catastrophe, and I have every reason to believe this won't be any better.

BTA

My biggest worry about the OVA is that it will, in fact, actually be connected to V3.

This worry is not just because I very much want V3 to actually be the reboot I expect it to be after all this, but because if it being connected is a twist, it will have to be spoiled to ward off all of us who can't play the game yet.

Parshias7

Zero Time Dilemma spoilers

HOLY SHIT THE MOTIVE IS LITERALLY THE SAME THING AS ZTD

Future Arc has been Zero Escape as hell from the very beginning. The whole "bracelets put you to sleep at designated times" is straight out of ZTD. Plus the bracelets are filled with poison, just like in VLR.

It fits my description of the series: it's like Ace Attorney mixed with Zero Escape, only not as good as either of those things.

My biggest worry about the OVA is that it will, in fact, actually be connected to V3.

This worry is not just because I very much want V3 to actually be the reboot I expect it to be after all this, but because if it being connected is a twist, it will have to be spoiled to ward off all of us who can't play the game yet.

Oh, that too. I'm praying the OVA will just be its own easily ignorable thing.

I doubt Hagakure was the extra person. There has to be someone else. Not Izuru or Togami. Chisa is dead.....

From reddit:
40c8tmoatznx.png

ruruka's death wasn't shown but kirigiri wasn't literally shown at all
Rewatched that part again and
yup, it looks like they decided to represent Izayoi's and Ruruka's death by showing that scene instead of showing their dead bodies. Weird about Kirigiri hmmmm.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Zero Time Dilemma spoilers

HOLY SHIT THE MOTIVE IS LITERALLY THE SAME THING AS ZTD

Future Arc has been Zero Escape as hell from the very beginning. The whole "bracelets put you to sleep at designated times" is straight out of ZTD. Plus the bracelets are filled with poison, just like in VLR.

It fits my description of the series: it's like Ace Attorney mixed with Zero Escape, only not as good as either of those things.

Even Monokuma's new Japanese VA is the same as Zero the 3rd (aka the bunny) from VLR.

What is this "hope side"? There will be a final episode thursday and we are done?

Man, Tengan creating this killing game to push Mitarai doesn't make any sense, unless he was secretly a sadistic guy, he could have stolen the phone and prevented all this mess. Maybe it has something to do with "entrusting the future to the younger ones" that would again overcome despair and win the killing game once again? An extreme approach that would resemble Nagito's hope...

Mitarai not using the video on Naegi was a plot hole, also the way Hina went back to normal was easy... The only thing I could imagine is that the video isn't much effective in strong willed people, well both survived two despair games, but that's not a very good reason either.

Eumi

What is this "hope side"? There will be a final episode thursday and we are done?

Man, Tengan creating this killing game to push Mitarai doesn't make any sense, unless he was secretly a sadistic guy, he could have stolen the phone and prevented all this mess. Maybe it has something to do with "entrusting the future to the younger ones" that would again overcome despair and win the killing game once again? An extreme approach that would resemble Nagito's hope...

Mitarai not using the video on Naegi was a plot hole, also the way Hina went back to normal was easy... The only thing I could imagine is that the video isn't much effective in strong willed people, well both survived two despair games, but that's not a very good reason either.
Maybe we could better understand Tengen if, now stay with me here, they maybe utilised the anime they have set in the past in order to explain why Tengen would go to such evil extremes for the sake of hope so easily. Maybe even have him show specific interest in Mitarai's abilities or something.

They really wasted the whole two shows thing. The best they got from it was Seiko and Rurukas backstory but that ended up being a pointless waste anyway.

PK Gaming

Ohhhh, god this show is so pointless. I wish I never watched it. I wish I'd never gotten into this series so I wouldn't even have considered watching it. DR3 is so bad, guys. It's broken me.

Literally nothing this anime does will ruin DR1 and especially DR2 for me. I've completely disassociated with the source series.

From reddit:
40c8tmoatznx.png

Remember when people thought they would develop him in Despair? Hah!

BTA

Not that it matters after everything else, but I just realized
that now there's actually an in-world reason for Monokuma having a different voice

Permanently A

I like your post Permanently A, but for sake of discussion I'm gonna try and defend some points. Some I can't do anything about. Not for fact of liking it but for devil's advocate.

(although I have no major gripes personally I've always felt DR is kinda shlocky and brick-a-brack with DR2 being the only decent twist in the series. I enjoy the series but I don't expect too much from it myself.)

Her brain working like Junko's =/= being Junko. The idea was to be duplicitous and make things unstable from the inside, convincing the future foundation to take itself down in the process. Which in a way, was a success. With Miratai brainwashing the world - who is going to trust anyone from that group anymore? Or those who associated with them.

At the end of the day, Despair is about chaos. Junko doesn't seem to care if the Despair is made artificially or through manipulation, so Chisa shouldn't either. Even if you could argue that Chisa wouldn't want to plunge the world into Despair, handing the videos over to the leader of the enemy is simply stupid.

Yeah I don't get this one. Surely he could've strong armed him regardless? Part of me likes the idea because it's something along the lines of using the techniques of your enemy to win. Tengen's message also makes this unclear. Had he been exposed to the video off screen? That's the only way I could think to put it. An icon of hope acting in an extreme manner?

I get the theme of "hope is just as destructive an ideology as despair!" but holy fuck this plan is dumb.

there are giant robots and all manner of other shit. I can pass this off as "weird world". Plot convenience indeed though.

I mean those have a reason to exist though (Junko). Why does the Overseas Branch need a worldwide radio tower?

He was hoping to turn it into a Seaworld and after the tragedy things got a bit awkward.

The Overseas branch was 'canceled' when the tragedy began.

A delay on the broadcast as she edits it?

Fair enough, although if she was that adept at it why did she need Ryota at all?

His real talent is brainwashing, he'd be using his talent by using a video he created.

I mean, the monitors are showing his videos too. Does that count as his talent being used?

How did Mondo get turned into butter? Things like the NWP exist it's hardly unbelievable that technology is weird in this world. You'd expect some element of human interaction though for those

I wonder if the 16th participant is a Tengan accomplice?

I don't quite get why this point exactly is a problem, could you expand? Is it more a personal dislike with the way the story went or.

Just seems dumb to not get any kind of authority figure after your teacher was kidnapped.

Wasn't this stated by DR2 that they'd been brainwashed anyway? I don't get the surprise here.

Alright this is the biggest issue I have. When Makoto says that the DR2 cast was brainwashed, I and the majority of folks assumed that to mean "they were manipulated to the breaking point by Junko." A couple of things support this.

07r5cn0.jpg

Remember Twilight Syndrome and how Fuyuhiko and Mahiru didn't even talk in DR3? Remember those hints of tragic backstories that weren't touched on in the slightest in DR3?

If DR2 intended for you to believe that DR2's cast was simply brainwashed, then that removes a whole lot of DR2's emotional weight. The big twist of "oh no! the students you spent time with and grew to love are actually fucking horrible terrorists and criminals, can you forgive them?" Well the answer becomes "sure, why not. it was all junko anyways" if they were brainwashed. Retroactively absolving the DR2 cast of personal responsibility might be the worst offense DR3 committed. Most of the dumb shit in DR3 is self contained but here it retroactively makes DR2 worse.

His motives are complex.

That's for sure.

Burbeting

Banned
I liked this episode. It's not great, but it works well in the restrictions that the DR3 in general written itself into (brainwashing anime was stupid idea in the first place, but might as well use it in the stinger as well).

Looking foward to Hope Side.

Can somebody tell me how exactly Mitarai got to the surface? For that matter, how the fuck did Hagakure even find Naegi in the building? If they got to the underwater building afterwards, how did they learn about it?

Is it me or is there some huge plothole in there about the two buildings?

Also, Tengan would have been so fucking predictable, underwhelming lol.

When you think about it, Naegi is fighting for the existence of despair now which is actually a quite nice spin on things, but it's incredibly arbitrary and contrived.

I'll laugh my ass off if that really WAS a DR1 cast wipeout of sorts at the end.

edit:

hot damn I want that LE. ;_;

That said, if it has Komaeda it'll at least be entertaining lol. He's the only thing DR3 did not retroactively worsen, IMO.

Man, you guys need to chill about brainwashing. Can you come up with a reason for why any of the stuff that happens in the games/shows happen that makes some sort of sense? Seriously, there is so much that has to happen in such a short amount of time that no matter what the reason was, it was going to either feel weak or unrealistic.

Burbeting

Banned
Man, you guys need to chill about brainwashing. Can you come up with a reason for why any of the stuff that happens in the games/shows happen that makes some sort of sense? Seriously, there is so much that has to happen in such a short amount of time that no matter what the reason was, it was going to either feel weak or unrealistic.

Sometimes leaving things to imagination is better, than giving an explanation to everything.

I think Nagito is definitely involved. The fact that the climax is Mitarai's hope versus Naegi's hope perfectly ties in with the fact that Nagito's goal is to pit hope against hope.

If Nagito isn't the mastermind, I will happily join the "DR3 is disappointing" camp.

Eumi

Maybe that's why it was a bad idea to try and show it then?

Permanently A

I mean, what do you want me to say? That its alright the story is rushed and garbage because they didn't have enough money/time for additional episodes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom