• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despair did give us Nagito with a gun

8yKsnw.gif

Never though the DR1 anime would be the best.

At least it didn't taint everything.

Also is ZTD really that bad? I loved 999 but felt that vlr was a real letdown.

ibyea

Banned
ZTD wins for me because as flawed as its ending is, there were some good individual stories in there, and I still enjoyed most of it. I am more of a glass half full guy and I think it was good overall. Plus, at least one can make sense of Zero's motivation as being utilitarian in the extreme (I just wish the execution behind it would be better). And again, even if not done in the best way, drives the point of the whole "every timeline is just as real" idea and how detached to human life people who manipulate time can get, and if anything, the ending is bad because it takes the cowardly way out of not dealing with the ideas the game was delivering beforehand.

Danganronpa 3 though, I can't make any sense out of it at all in light of Future 12. There was absolutely no point to the whole thing.

Eumi

Zero's plan in ZTD is 'complex' and stupid, but it does have a bunch of good reasons as to why that person would execute that plan in such a way.

Tengen's plan makes no sense. The likelihood of Mitarai dying was over 90%, on top of the chance that he would broadcast the video, on top of the chance that he wouldn't be stopped (by a character with 'Ultimate Luck', scaling that chance down immensely').

Seriously, why go through with the plan if Mitarai is there? Why invite Makoto? He obviously didn't need everyone in the FF so why not invite Togami instead of the guy with ULTIMATE LUCK?

Also why give yourself the worst bracelet the mastermind could have? Why not give Makoto a bullshit one so he, The Ultimate Hope, will die plunging Mitarai even further into despair?

Why was it even underwater?

That plan is...hugh...stupid...
I don't know, I really loved DR1 and DR2 (didn't play UDG), but I really think the anime killed it (in a bad way). The background story of how the world went to shit should have remained vague and add to the mistery , like "somehow junko put the world into despair and this group has taken over", who cares about the details, the premise is absurd and SHOULD remain vague. It's like in DR1 when the characters ask how did they lose their memory and junko is all like "WHO CARES! LET'S SAY IT'S HYPNOSIS, SO WHAT? IT'S A GAME"

edit: also I think the games were more believable in their absurdity, maybe because they weren't animated, I don't know, it was easier to accept the facts, in the anime it only seems ridicolous, dunno why

also I think the games were more believable in their absurdity, maybe because they weren't animated, I don't know, it was easier to accept the facts, in the anime it only seems ridicolous, dunno why

The games told you what you needed to know while keeping the details vague and open to interpretation. DR3 is nothing but those details, and they weren't well thought out at all.

So I finally got all caught up and thought I should share my thoughts. I'm gonna spoilertag it all just in case.

Overall, it's disappointment. I think the think I didn't realise was - after finishing DanganRonpa 1, I wanted to know what happened with the world. I wanted to see outside, see the world ravaged with despair, find out what happened to the characters etc.

But the more that's been revealed about the world, the less interested I've become. I preferred seeing Junko as somewhat of a mystery; a person who turned all these characters to despair because that's who she is, the Ultimate Despair. I wanted her to chip away at their psyche using her skill and their flaws. Going back and seeing how she turned the cast of DR2 using brainwashing really took away some of the appeal of that.

With regards to the conclusion of the Future Arc, I actually quite like the idea of full hope being just as bad as full despair, but the way it's been handled... I dunno. Just feels half-hearted.

I think my biggest disappointment with it is that it makes the previous two games less special, knowing what I know about the anime. I think I'll have to take a long break from everything Hope's Peak Academy related and come back years later to see how I feel but yeah, right now it's just a shame.

And aside from all this, there were just too many important parts of the plot that were rushed through for me. For example - in the end I quite liked Chiaki being the centre of the class then being executed as a source of despair for them. Sure, I preferred the idea that Junko turned them one-by-one by picking on their weaknesses, but I liked the tragedy of the Chiaki situation too.

Except, they glossed over it far too much. We saw them beginning to bond together and Chiaki taking control, then Chisa got moved to the reserve course, comes back and "hey, Chiaki helped us all bond even more, here's a few pictures!" I wanted to see that. I wanted it to be explored properly.

My biggest grievance is the mutual killing of the Student Council. Holy crap, was that glossed over. Junko turns up, shoots one of them dead and says they have to kill each other or die, suddenly they all start massacring each other in horrible ways. Why? How did it happen so quickly. Having played DR1 & 2, I can genuinely believe that people can turn to despair in a situation like this, but so quickly? Nah. Really irritated me. I wanted to see that - and those characters - developed more.

So overall, a disappointment. It certainly had its great moments and I have enjoyed tuning in every week, but as part of the overall DanganRonpa storyline, it's been a let down and not what I'd hoped for as a "filling in the gaps" storyline.

There's disagreement on this, but personally, for all of the disappointment DR3 had, ZTD delivers them in spades.

ZTD is good until the last 1/3rd where it completely shits itself and ends the series on a cliffhanger

ZTD is a fine game. It's not as good as 999, but better than VLR.

Well, at least it'll be a fun ride. If you know it's going to be disappointing it lessens the disappointment.

Permanently A

83e.jpg

Regardless of the good and bad, it was a wild ride from start to finish watching the conclusion to this series with you all. Tomorrow will be the last time we'll ever see the Hope's Peak cast. Let's HOPE it ends with a bang.

kewlmyc

I'll still respect this anime for putting out 2 seasons worth of content in just one season. Must have been pure hell for the animation studio, which would explain the delays since they were probably finishing production of episodes only hours before airing.

Zero's plan in ZTD is 'complex' and stupid, but it does have a bunch of good reasons as to why that person would execute that plan in such a way.

Tengen's plan makes no sense. The likelihood of Mitarai dying was over 90%, on top of the chance that he would broadcast the video, on top of the chance that he wouldn't be stopped (by a character with 'Ultimate Luck', scaling that chance down immensely').

Seriously, why go through with the plan if Mitarai is there? Why invite Makoto? He obviously didn't need everyone in the FF so why not invite Togami instead of the guy with ULTIMATE LUCK?

Also why give yourself the worst bracelet the mastermind could have? Why not give Makoto a bullshit one so he, The Ultimate Hope, will die plunging Mitarai even further into despair?

Why was it even underwater?

Mitarai wasn't supposed to be there, I'm almost positive they even touched upon Tengan being confused by his presence

NEO0MJ

Mitarai wasn't supposed to be there, I'm almost positive they even touched upon Tengan being confused by his presence

I think he means why went ahead regardless as that would put the life of the person his plan relied on in jeopardy. Bad enough he's killing the heads of their organization. Unless there was a third party involved in the plan who didn't know what Tengan's end-goal was.

Burbeting

Banned
I think once DR3 finishes, we might need a separate thread for comparing DR3 and ZTD, this thread has turned into a minefield of ZTD spoilers.

I think he means why went ahead regardless as that would put the life of the person his plan relied on in jeopardy. Bad enough he's killing the heads of their organization. Unless there was a third party involved in the plan who didn't know what Tengan's end-goal was.

That would account for the 16th participant

The idea of a 16th participant is tough at this point, because for it to have any impact, the character must be established already. There are only very few characters from 1, 2, and UDG that are directly unaccounted for (ie, we as the viewer did not personally verify their absence/death):

1. Miaya Gekkogahara - This requires a big stretch since two people confirmed her death, but that her death is off-screen could mean something. Being a therapist, she would also be able to read people and figure out the most appropriate NG code for that person.
2. Haiji Towa - I'd SOONER not have him be in, and it wouldn't make sense, but this creepy loser is not only still alive to our knowledge, but he has been absent from the story completely, including the episode almost exclusively set in a setting he's only ever been in.
3. Hiroko Hagakure - Even more of a stretch in terms of "why," but whatever, she's an established character who isn't dead.

FluxWaveZ

I gotta say, I think the use of music throughout DR3 has been pretty weak, but one that's usually used pretty well and that is good on its own is Junko's theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfUGLeE_41U

I look forward to getting the clean version of that one and the New World Order remix. The latter lacks oomph when the scenes it's being matched to aren't that great.

While the ending is weaker than the beginning and middle, it did have one of my favorite scenes - Hagakure running in to save Naegi (and then immediately giving up). I love the guy, he's such a brave coward.

I gotta say, I think the use of music throughout DR3 has been pretty weak, but one that's usually used pretty well and that is good on its own is Junko's theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfUGLeE_41U

I look forward to getting the clean version of that one and the New World Order remix. The latter lacks oomph when the scenes it's being matched to aren't that great.

Is Takada even involved in the soundtrack? Outside from those themes, I can't remember any important new pieces of music, aside from the melancholic piano that played sometimes and Mukuro's version of Tsubasa wo Kudasai. The rest of the soundtrack is full of ambient pieces or reuse of previous music.

FluxWaveZ

Is Takada even involved in the soundtrack? Outside from those themes, I can't remember any important new pieces of music, aside from the melancholic piano that played sometimes and Mukuro's version of Tsubasa wo Kudasai. The rest of the soundtrack is full of ambient pieces or reuse of previous music.

It seems that Masafumi Takada is credited everywhere for the music in DR3, though I have to imagine that not much went into it. Even in terms of direction with old tracks, there've been some strange choices in previous episodes.

Eumi

Both the music and the art style took huge hits for the anime. Which sucks cause that's like 40% of what Danganronpa even is.

ZTD is a fine game. It's not as good as 999, but better than VLR.

That's definitely not the consensus. I do still think that ZTD is a good game, and I'm glad it happened and I played it, since the majority of the game is good, it just craps the bed right before the true ending path opens, and that hurts peoples view of it. The switch from a proper VN didn't help either, since Uchikoshis being so limited by the amount of text he could show (since it almost all had to be in cutscenes) greatly limited how he could develop the characters, and clearly, he's a tell,not show guy(at least with the budget he had).

Maybe they should just have had Danganronpa 3: Hope Escape dilemma as a game instead of either.

My issue with ZTD is that it's a legitimately good game, but "legitimately good" is leagues below the standards of a series that until ZTD was "among the greatest ever."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom