• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I'm expecting for the Ultimate ???, since the ones in 1 and 2 were super important and ended up surviving.

There will definitely be a subversion of the previous games' trends. Maybe something involving the detective too.

Pianist girl dies in the first chapter and Hope is the protag for the rest of the game, with Detective and ??? as the other Trial Point Getters.

I'd have no problem with something like that but I don't know if I want to play as someone called "Hope".

TBH, I think Chiaki is the better choice for survival. I want Hajime to be brought back, and I think Chiaki would be the most sensible one to pull that off. If Kyoko survives, it will just be to make fans feel better. Makoto doesn't need her - I mean, he does - but he's demonstrated that he can survive her death, just as he survived Sayaka's.

Random also but

I'm so mad that Miaya wasn't a villain

It'd be such a cool swerve if Miaya was responsible for interfering with Tengan's plans with the NG codes, but Monaca ended up killing her.

NotLiquid

I think that ZTD is the loser.

ZTD spoilers

ZTD actively left elements from previous games unresolved. Like, SUPER unresolved. AND on top of that, they didn't even give players a true ending to the story - it ends with an in-text cliffhanger, and the notes at the end of the game don't even BEGIN to compare to VLR's.

Like, where are Clover and Alice? Weren't they supposed to be there?

What happened to the mysterious person playing an important role in ZTD? Even if we assume that it's the player who entered Kyle's body, the player wasn't a part of the story in ZTD.

While they made an excuse for why Brother and Free the Soul were basically nothing to the overall story, it felt like a worse retconning of their significance than Junko being changed from a charismatic person to a brainwasher.

Also, why is everyone cool with Mira, a person who has, if I recall correctly, killed every other person who is capable of being killed at least once?

I don't think that DR3 can even begin to compare to ZTD as far as being a disappointment goes. ZTD is leagues ahead of UDG and Professor Layton VS. Phoenix Wright, but that's not saying THAT much.

We can only hope

Don't think Clover and Alice were ever said to be there. It just teased at a possibility to send people back.
The Another Time ending might as well be considered a non-canon visual explanation of what happened after the events of VLR, which ZTD instead does in the form of those archive logs. The most significant thing it does to ZTD is hint at the game's main overarching theme which was the deconstruction of multiple timeline stories.
I have a weird feeling about Brother/Delta since even though I think the game managed to wrap the entire series full circle, I don't think there was any possibility of any answer being a satisfying one. A traditional "villain" type character has never suited the series.
And I don't think anyone is really cool with Mira. She went to jail, although arguably speaking the game kind of poops over itself by the post-game proving that Eric and Mira didn't really learn anything.

I still think DR3 is the worst offender here since it effectively eschews a sort of thematic simplicity that was prevalent throughout the games. DR1 established black/white conflict of platitudes in the overall series' context and the main reason that worked was because of how much ambiguity that surrounded things like "is the despair issue really that overblown? Are our lives outside of the walls really irrevocably shattered?". DR2 had an extremely elegant twist reveal about how you were in fact playing as the bad guys the whole time, something that ended up serving as a deconstruction of the hope/despair issue, which the game itself even ended up considering a complete non-factor to the endgame resolution. DR3 though feels like the worst possible result you get when you try to answer too many questions in a poorly chosen format. Not only is nothing given enough time in terms of story but that story is effectively cheapening some cleverly executed ambiguity by focusing on characters that are hard to care about. Makoto is turned into a caricature and I keep forgetting that Kirigiri, my favorite character from DR1, was even in it.

ZTD was at least given a whole lot of time to explain the crux behind it's twist and placement in the story. It was given a proper framework to explore the answers and at least allow those answers to make sense even if it wasn't what people hoped for. It at least felt like the answers we got had some legitimate thought put into them. It's really hard to say the same for DR3 which commits the cardinal sin of not so much being offensively bad, but worse, being offensively cheap and boring.

I dunno though, maybe that's just me speaking from the perspective of not ever caring about anything in the expanded Danganronpa universe outside of the games themselves. They at least carry themselves well on their own terms, while everything else the series has done outside of them just makes me think even less of it.

Eumi

So what's the chances that we'll see any of the other DR2 cast in Hope? I mean they've got all the voice actors so...

ZTD spoilers

As far as the Mira thing goes, I more meant how when people realized she was a killer, they didn't immediately turn into "okay let's do something about her RIGHT NOW." There were cool things they could have done with her - for instance, what if someone tried to kill her for what she did? Maybe Sigma, to give him some more edge? And then whoops! Eric gets in the way, being killed instead. This then awakens her heart, which then leads to Sean helping her SHIFT away to the moment where it all began.

Instead, we just get a cliffhanger in text form for a series that is finished.

EDIT: wrt the DR2 cast, I hope everyone survives. I think it's a neat contrast on morals (even if they didn't actually do anything wrong because brainwashing, but forget that for a minute) to have the mass murderers survive and only five of the class 78 survive.

TWILT

Banned
So which is worse

Kyoko surviving or Chiaki surviving

While Kyoko still being alive would be bad especially after the Asahina fakeout, her "death" felt really cheap and unearned. Not to mention she was like the only one trying to solve the mystery, so in my biased opinion, I wouldn't mind at all if she was still alive (there's not much else they could do to save DR3 anyway for me >>;)

DR3 Chiaki's death was pretty much cheap shock value too, but her very existence is straight up unnecessary and I'll be incredibly disappointed in Kodaka if he wusses out of her death.

Hajime about to Ultimate Hope Spirit Bomb the world on Thursday.
Yaaaaaas
tumblr_nbbedxr0sd1qda6uso4_r1_500.gif

At this point the final episode should just have the ghost of Junko show up. Then have the ghost of everyone killed through out the series show up to send her spirit to Hell.
And that's the place where Komaru fits in!
Makoto surviving.
True answer.
So what's the chances that we'll see any of the other DR2 cast in Hope? I mean they've got all the voice actors so...
I need my boy Kazuichi to show up and save the day with his Big Bang Usami

With what they did, I'm gonna reiterate that making Chiaki not suicidal was a huge missed opportunity. It gives us the opportunity to see the character of Chiaki, who we knew before as an always sunny, always helpful champion of everyone's hopes and well being, in her original form - sad, lonely, and full of despair. We could explore her in the first couple of episodes slowly creeping towards her death, but is ultimately pulled out of it. Not just by her classmates and teacher, but also by Hajime. Chiaki would be a girl who has a lot of pain in her life that caused her to seclude herself from everyone, thereby leaving her with no one she can turn to - until she realized that she doesn't have to be alone.

In having that be her plot, not only does it give depth to human Chiaki that didn't exist with Alter Ego Chiaki, it gives her strong theming with Hajime. Hajime lost his sense of self when he became Izuru, but he would have died if he didn't anyway. Chiaki being pulled out of despair by Hajime saved her from killing herself, but this ended up setting her on a path to being killed anyway.

RoboHope is actually Junko. She took the new identity of Hope in the same way an alien would name themselves Hugh Mann.

"Hi I'm Paul, what's your name?"

"Irma Gudgai"

FStubbs

TBH, I think Chiaki is the better choice for survival. I want Hajime to be brought back, and I think Chiaki would be the most sensible one to pull that off. If Kyoko survives, it will just be to make fans feel better. Makoto doesn't need her - I mean, he does - but he's demonstrated that he can survive her death, just as he survived Sayaka's.

Random also but

I'm so mad that Miaya wasn't a villain

It'd be such a cool swerve if Miaya was responsible for interfering with Tengan's plans with the NG codes, but Monaca ended up killing her.

Makoto still has Aoi - what's Hajime got?

Vamphuntr

I wish that the anime was 24 episodes

16 Future arc

7 Despair arc

1 Hope arc

Alternate not every other episode obviously, but maybe go two futures and then one despair, until the final hope episode. More focus on the hope arc and less time spent on despair would have done this anime a world of good. More twists, more turns, more time to give a more elaborated story.

They already had not idea to do with 12 so I don't see why you wanted 16. It was padding after padding after unmemorable speeches about hope and despair ad nauseam. The whole mystery's resolution was weak and the plot twist in both being the same
brainwashing
really hurts it. The best thing about the anime is that an anime lead to the destruction of the world haha. Otherwise it's pretty awful and lots of smart people already guessed ahead what would happen with story halfway through of both sides. I guess it kind of shows the writer for this is better at writing games than a tv show.

Monaca was pretty helpful.

Lifted up Makoto's spirits, warned them that someone would die, let them talk to Togami and learn important clues, protected them from Raiden, played a prank on Hina and Naegi so you know she has a good sense of humor.......

Clearly a hope agent sent by Nagito.

what Tengan should have done:
tumblr_ocuguk2YOA1rskcv1o1_400.png

"Broadcast the fucking video Mitarai you piece of fucking shit"

All in all, fuck DR3. It all just turned into shit the moment it was clear that Mitarai was an important character and then it just got dumber and dumber with brainwashing videos. I can't believe it all comes down to "lol i'm going to broadcast this 2 second brainwash video to the whole world!!"

I love that the ZTD thing people are talking about wasn't even the dumbest most bullshit thing in the game.
There's a fucking ALIEN FAX MACHINE THAT SENDS PEOPLE.

I love that the ZTD thing people are talking about wasn't even the dumbest most bullshit thing in the game.

Isn't that basically just a technological version of the powers in the series? I think it would have been better if it turned out that SHIFTers lead to its creation, but all in all the way they handled Mira and abandoned arcs and fake teasing and complexity and mind hack, all of these are worse.

BTA

I think that ZTD is the loser.

ZTD spoilers

I don't think that DR3 can even begin to compare to ZTD as far as being a disappointment goes. ZTD is leagues ahead of UDG and Professor Layton VS. Phoenix Wright, but that's not saying THAT much.
I would say that I actually think ZTD is a worse game than UDG, but I was nowhere near as actively angry at it while playing as I was at UFG, cause fuck that game's attempt to handle that material. That being said... what's wrong about Layton VS Wright? I loved that game; it was weird but entirely enjoyable.
And you can't point to the twist as being ridiculous/disappointing because it's a Layton game and you've had plenty of chances to know what that means.

EDIT:

Honestly, as much as I like joking about
MIND HACK
and this, neither of them are the biggest issue with that game. All the retconning/sudden changes in backstory and completely shafting some of the series' best characters for no clear reason are things I'd point to first, and that's only the start of my many many issues with it.

I would say that I actually think ZTD is a worse game than UDG, but I was nowhere near as actively angry at it while playing as I was at UFG, cause fuck that game's attempt to handle that material. That being said... what's wrong about Layton VS Wright? I loved that game; it was weird but entirely enjoyable.
And you can't point to the twist as being ridiculous/disappointing because it's a Layton game and you've had plenty of chances to know what that means.

EDIT:

Honestly, as much as I like joking about
MIND HACK
and this, neither of them are the biggest issue with that game. All the retconning/sudden changes in backstory and completely shafting some of the series' best characters for no clear reason are things I'd point to first, and that's only the start of my many many issues with it.

Episode 5 of Layton VS Phoenix Wright was the clear winner for the worst episode of any Phoenix Wright game

Turnabout Circus runs circles around it

The episode title should have been called Turnabout Exposition But Also Nothing Else

Luigi87

Considering how optimistic the series was making people feel when it started in July, compared to how people are feeling about the endings (albeit one ep left to go)

Perhaps this was the intention all along... after all... This is the story of hope, that ends in despair.

Torokil

Dumb question incoming

I literally just finished future 1 and jumped onto the last page after seeing this thread float around OT (I know, I know) and seeing peoples opinion on it... and wowza.

So uh, should I even bother? I really care more about how the series ends rather than how it begins, so is "despair" required viewing?

Dumb question incoming

I literally just finished future 1 and jumped onto the last page after seeing this thread float around OT (I know, I know) and seeing peoples opinion on it... and wowza.

So uh, should I even bother? I really care more about how the series ends rather than how it begins, so is "despair" required viewing?

I would say that every episode is "good." Even the weaker ones have solid scenes.

Dumb question incoming

It's worth watching but peaks in the middle. Despair is pretty much essential because it goes into the backstory of some of the future characters. Just temper expectations, it gets dumb, but not unwatchable.

Dumb question incoming

This show is awful. Join us in our misery.

Despair is required viewing. And while I'd normally say it's the weaker of the two, I'm not even sure anymore after this last episode of Future. They're pretty much equally bad by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom