• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man Tengan has one of the most stupidest plans I have ever seen in an anime.

One of the stupidest plans I've ever seen, period. There were way too many ways it could've severely fucked up for it to have been practical in the slightest, and the whole thing was just really needlessly complicated and kinda pointless.

Like, the entire killing game was just so this one guy would want to hopezombie the entire world. This is kinda similar to what SDR2 did with its killing game just being a time killer until Junko managed to hack the system, but the difference here is that SDR2 was a well written game. DR3 is garbage and it's like the killing game was just tossed in there because it's what you'd expect in this series + to fill 12 episodes because the justification for it collapses completely if you think about it even a little bit. SDR2's at least had a purpose and was broadcast to the FF.

Hell, I think the plan would be dumb, but acceptable if Nagito was the mastermind. Orchestrating a killing game to get someone to broadcast a damn hope anime seems right up his alley.

Hell, I think the plan would be dumb, but acceptable if Nagito was the mastermind. Orchestrating a killing game to get someone to broadcast a damn hope anime seems right up his alley.

I would hesitate even if that happened - Nagito relied in his luck, but he stays in control as much as possible. This is not Junko with her 'I leave something to make me fail and despair' thing.

There is no reason for Kyoko being the only one surviving the poison from the bracelets, so I guess Chiaki's more acceptable if given a proper reason. In Kyoko's case, this proper reason should extend to all the other bracelet victims.

Well, there was the shot that had the medicine near Kyoko. As far as medicine goes, we saw what the medicine did - nothing. Ultimately, what if that was foreshadowing to show that the medicine couldn't work once the poison was in the bloodstream, but if used preemptively it could be?

I would hesitate even if that happened - Nagito relied in his luck, but he stays in control as much as possible. This is not Junko with her 'I leave something to make me fail and despair' thing.

Chiaki and Imposter died because of his actions, but neither died because he wanted them to die. Yet ultimately, both deaths were deaths that ultimately benefited his goals in the end. Nagito also set up a building to explode, and it exploded through a series of coincidences + his will.

Well, there was the shot that had the medicine near Kyoko. As far as medicine goes, we saw what the medicine did - nothing. Ultimately, what if that was foreshadowing to show that the medicine couldn't work once the poison was in the bloodstream, but if used preemptively it could be?
I didn't notice this shot with the medicine... hmm, so that could make things acceptable. However, we would need someone to actually give it to her. In any case, I think Kyoko has more chances of being alive than Chiaki, especially when they didn't show her death during last episode.

I didn't notice this shot with the medicine... hmm, so that could make things acceptable. However, we would need someone to actually give it to her. In any case, I think Kyoko has more chances of being alive than Chiaki, especially when they didn't show her death during last episode.

I may be mistaken, but I believe there was a screenshot of them discovering Kyoko's body that had a bottle near her corpse.

Yeah I take back the praise I was giving to Future last week, god damn was that explanation for the killing game beyond moronic.

Really hope V3 distances itself from this clusterfuck now.

This is our last hope. I feel like there is no way that truth bomb abount Tengan can be real and left alone as is.

BTA

This show is awful. Join us in our misery.

Despair is required viewing. And while I'd normally say it's the weaker of the two, I'm not even sure anymore after this last episode of Future. They're pretty much equally bad by now.

Despair is the more disappointing of the two, in that it should contain things you actually wanted to see, but I've never felt it to be the weaker one like a lot of y'all seem to have. Future's always been more pointless and Despair at least has characters I care about.

I will agree that they are both pretty bad though.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Garbage. Maybe all of Danganronpa is garbage. I'm entirely disillusioned. Kodaka is a hack.

I don't think Kodaka is a hack, per say. There have always been problems with Danganronpa's "story" (most specifically with the logistics) but as a premise for an interesting death/game it was enough. What the Visual Novel format lent itself to well is character interaction, which is what DR has generally done very well. The two main games are brimming with charismatic characters, even if they are a bit one-note at times they were very engaging and fun to follow to the point that it would genuinely hurt to see one of them get killed off. In this format the "story" could be obscured more to focus directly on the characters.

The anime format however kind of forced Kodaka's hand and he had to push the "story" harder than the characters, substituting the series' strength with it's long-standing weakness. The questions from DR1+2 never really had answers (which is why they were usually hand-waved or given a very politician treatment of answer with a non-answer) but he can't really get away with that in the finale, esp. since it's in a format that further pushes "story" to the forefront.

By the way I keep putting story in "" because I always felt DR was more of a premise than a story; a setting to get the events moving forward and create tension but without much actually happening.

People on Reddit are saying that Tengan did all of this because he didn't know that Mitarai had a Hope video already, only that he was capable of making one. That is why he went to all this trouble. That makes a whole lot more sense than the whole game being an effort to get it broadcasted,

BTA

I really don't get it, Kodaka can and has done much better. It would only take a few tweaks to make his plan average instead of aggressively terrible.

Also Kyoko is 100% alive.

I wanted to question whether it's (partially) due to him just not being used to writing for anime and the time constraints/pacing of it (since anime-wise it looks like the only other thing he's been involved in is Wooser), but the guy actually writing the scripts for each episode seems to have some more experience, so... maybe that's not exactly it.

I wanted to question whether it's (partially) due to him just not being used to writing for anime and the time constraints/pacing of it (since anime-wise it looks like the only other thing he's been involved in is Wooser), but the guy actually writing the scripts for each episode seems to have some more experience, so... maybe that's not exactly it.

He wrote UDG too so it's not just the anime, the writing in this series has become problematic in general.

He wrote UDG too so it's not just the anime, the writing in this series has become problematic in general.

I really liked UDG. I don't know though, I seem to be less harsh than a lot of people in here. I'm holding out hope for it to end well. I'm certainly not ready to label the whole thing as "garbage" or Kodaka as a "hack" yet...

Although I really do wonder what is the deal with beating hope vs despair into the ground through the dialogue (more so in the anime than previous Danganronpas even. I feel like he has SOME reason for it.

MANUELF

Banned
People on Reddit are saying that Tengan did all of this because he didn't know that Mitarai had a Hope video already, only that he was capable of making one. That is why he went to all this trouble. That makes a whole lot more sense than the whole game being an effort to get it broadcasted,

That makes a whole more sense but is still a bad premise, so did Tengan kill all the guards and the wheelchair girl?

KraytarJ

What a dumb fucking ending to an otherwise enjoyable arc. I never really expected it to stick the landing but damn was that whole thing just dumb, including a plan that doesn't even make sense in the world of Danganronpa.

Permanently A

you know what makes even more sense

kicking ryota in the balls until he agrees to make the hope anime

I hope Kodaka learned from getting burnt out on the Hope's Peak arc and doesn't put in some stupid ass overarching premise like "high school girl somehow ends the world" in V3. DR1 was already self aware of how ridiculous the whole premise was with the character's complete disbelief and Junko's handwaving of the fine details.

I don't know, did Kodaka think he wouldn't ever have to explain or delve into it? Did the success of the game catch him off guard and then he realized he fucked himself now that fans/higher ups want sequels?

That makes a whole more sense but is still a bad premise, so did Tengan kill all the guards and the wheelchair girl?

Nope, the person who created the NG codes did

(and Monaca killed Miaya)

I'm half-kidding as I don't really think that the NG codes problem won't be resolved, but I hope that there's an explanation. My core assumption is that Mitarai was introduced into despair and that the NG codes were devised to throw a wrench into his plan.

I'll concede that the approach taken in Another Episode towards certain topics was problematic at best, but even the worst plot contrivance there (the whole possession scene) wasn't as bad as the brainwashing that is the basis of the conflict in both anime series.

I hope Kodaka learned from getting burnt out on the Hope's Peak arc and doesn't put in some stupid ass overarching premise like "high school girl somehow ends the world" in V3. DR1 was already self aware of how ridiculous the whole premise was with the character's complete disbelief and Junko's handwaving of the fine details.

I don't know, did Kodaka think he wouldn't ever have to explain or delve into it? Did the success of the game catch him off guard and then he realized he fucked himself now that fans/higher ups want sequels?

Probably. DR1 wasn't written with sequels in mind, but DR0 and DR2 were good enough to bring more to the Hope's Peak saga without introducing idiotic plot threads and avoiding the detailing of the Tragedy. When comparing DR3 to them, it looks sloppy.

BTA

kicking ryota in the balls until he agrees to make the hope anime

literally spending two minutes going "hey, I know you fucked up and were the source of this but it's ok; to redeem yourself, a hope video would be a good idea and I'd be proud of you if you did it" to the dude who is filled with regret and wants to be relieved of his burden

Also on the topic of what Reddit thinks: I just poked around there and someone pointed out that the whole thing with Monokuma hacking Usami into Monomi makes no sense now. That's... a good point. How/why did that even happen? It can't just be Monaca because Monokuma was also involved, right?

Permanently A

literally spending two minutes going "hey, I know you fucked up and were the source of this but it's ok; to redeem yourself, a hope video would be a good idea and I'd be proud of you if you did it" to the dude who is filled with regret and wants to be relieved of his burden

Also on the topic of what Reddit thinks: I just poked around there and someone pointed out that the whole thing with Monokuma hacking Usami into Monomi makes no sense now. That's... a good point. How/why did that even happen? It can't just be Monaca because Monokuma was also involved, right?

s...sixteenth participant?

I'll concede that the approach taken in Another Episode towards certain topics was problematic at best, but even the worst plot contrivance there (the whole possession scene) wasn't as bad as the brainwashing that is the basis of the conflict in both anime series.

The writing is terrible in both, I'm not sure it really matters which one is worse. Though if DR3 is worse, it only further suggests a trendline with the series where the writing gets worse with each entry,

Eh, even though DR3 has been a dissapointment, I will never hate Kodaka since he wrote/made DR2 <3
What episode is that scene from?
I think it's from episode 3. When Makoto is talking about the Remnants of Despair situation, tells everyone his NG code and Munakata finds him.
Makoto still has Aoi - what's Hajime got?
I can't find the picture with Kazuichi's head in Mikan's body :(
I mean UDG's writing was pretty damn good when it came to Monaca manipulating people. That's what I was hoping to see in the Despair arc
Monaca was a beast in UDG! Talking about DR3 is another story....
Nagito is the best, man.
The best aspect of Despair for sure.
I really liked UDG. I don't know though, I seem to be less harsh than a lot of people in here. I'm holding out hope for it to end well. I'm certainly not ready to label the whole thing as "garbage" or Kodaka as a "hack" yet
I liked UDG a lot as well, I was surprised to find out people hated it lol but I guess it's because it's controversial

The writing is terrible in both, I'm not sure it really matters which one is worse. Though if DR3 is worse, it only further suggests a trendline with the series where the writing gets worse with each entry,

Coincidentally, both of those are the entries that clearly show the Tragedy. I really hope the mess that is the storyline of DR3 is just because of the baggage of the whole saga, and not a decline in Kodaka's abilities as a writer.

I guess the jury is still out on that until V3 releases.

PK Gaming

The writing absolutely did not get worse from 1 to 2 you damn fish.

honestly Hagakure's vision is probably the only thing that makes believe Kyoko could survive(I don't really want her to live by the way), if there was ever a time for one of his visions to come true it's now.

That was certainly a f**k you to Kyoko and Makoto for no reason to give her that awful NG Code.
Oh yeah, if Tengan is responsible for those NG Codes, then he absolutely screwed up Bandai BIG TIME. And since Gozu's and Seiko's were the probably the safests, he probably wanted them to survive?

JC Sera

honestly Hagakure's vision is probably the only thing that makes believe Kyoko could survive(I don't really want her to live by the way), if there was ever a time for one of his visions to come true it's now.
I feel like the Cure W bottle that had rolled out of her hand plus the rule of conservation of detail in the anime vs. the games is more believable
Oh yeah, if Tengan is responsible for those NG Codes, then he absolutely screwed up Bandai BIG TIME. And since Gozu's and Seiko's were the probably the safests, he probably wanted them to survive?
the only way I can think of tengan justifying it is if even Naegi breaks in front of mitarai, then it proves mitarai's brand of Hope&#8482; is the one true Hope&#8482;

Permanently A

Hagakure's visions have always been accurate. The thing is his talent is so powerful he has the ability to see into alternate realities, and he can't discern the alternate reality predictions from those of his reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom