• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'd wholeheartedly agree with it being dumb shock value if asahina ends up bullshitted back to life somehow. and you'll certainly see me calling it out as such if that happens!

as is we dunno to what ends her death were so it feels too soon for me to make a call. i expect it to serve as an argument in favor of "look at the terrible stuff that happens to people you care about if ultimate despair is allowed to live" and bring makoto's situation closer to kyosuke's. and i mean also trying to give off the impression that they're removing all plot armor obviously lol

but yeah i'm kinda surprised that this instance of "character intended to be likable you thought was safe dies" was the tipping point for folks who made it this far into the series already lol

Nightbird

Finally got around to watch the episode.

I wish I didn't.

You guys are why I started to love Hina recently, and now she's dead.

Can we stop now? I don't want anymore ;-;

Rich!

Was there any truth to those rumors that DR1 and 2 may release on PS4? I want to replay these games before v3 comes out.

nah, no one knows

just buy them on steam - they will play fine on any toaster running windows, mac os or linux, and the game has native Dualshock 4 support via bluetooth.

been a while since i did anything danganronpa related so watching the two series is pretty fun

I also learned my lesson the first two times around and have zero attachments to anyone in the show, so I was all ready for them to die, die, die

and this show is definitely delivering on that!

definitely interested in seeing how all this plays out

but yeah i'm kinda surprised that this instance of "character intended to be likable you thought was safe dies" was the tipping point for folks who made it this far into the series already lol
I wouldn't say it's a tipping point for me since I'm still completely okay with the idea of her dying. My problem is that it just feels throwaway and cheap to have it done in this way.

Rich!

Stop it Nagito!

tumblr_o1athmVZOk1tikpj4o1_400.jpg

Rich!

I worked out the twist.

before:

after:

we know this is the same corridor - it links directly to the main conference room, and the doors on each side match up.

before:

after:

Some points:

- The building is now in an advanced state of disrepair and decay. It has seemingly not been inhabited or used for a long, long time.

- The rooms match up.

- Despite the rooms matching up and the general plan being the same, there are now numerous Monokuma monitors which were not there before (which would need to be set up and connected) and giant hopes peak-esque bolts covering windows.

- As shown before in this thread, Kyoko immediately noticed this. The blade thrown before the blackout is no longer there, nor any sign of damage on the wall from its impact.

Now...this is my theory...and let me know if you all agree or not:

This is the overseas building, built to the same specification. Hope's Peak was expanding, and they used the same plans for more than one. After the tragedy, the Future Foundation used the closest one for their HQ and the rest fell to disrepair. After the sleeping gas knocked out the participants in episode 1, the helicopter that attacked took them to the alternative location.

yeahhhh boiiiii

Rich!

I think its pretty obvious now...it links both arcs together, and really hits the "end of hopes peak academy" moniker home too. I don't see any other way the change could be possible short of time travel, and it explains the inclusion of the overseas building scene in despair ep1.

posted my theory over on reddit too, to see what they think.

Thoraxes

I think its pretty obvious now...it links both arcs together, and really hits the "end of hopes peak academy" moniker home too. I don't see any other way the change could be possible short of time travel, and it explains the inclusion of the overseas building scene in despair ep1.

posted my theory over on reddit too, to see what they think.
They could just be taking place at the same time too. Somehow.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
They could just be taking place at the same time too. Somehow.

The Despair Arc could actually be yet another simulation, one similar to the original one, but this one is being controlled by the remnants of despair.

For reasons why, it could be done to recorrupt the DR2 cast, and maybe repair/recover the Junko AI. The Chiaki featured in it could be the same AI Chiaki from Danganronpa 2.

Rich!

The Despair Arc could actually be yet another simulation, one similar to the original one, but this one is being controlled by the remnants of despair.

For reasons why, it could be done to recorrupt the remnants of despair (And maybe repair/recover the Junko AI). The Chiaki featured in it could be the same AI Chiaki from Danganronpa 2.

that's interesting

oh man that'd be weird. I don't think it's that likely though

GoldStarz

This is the overseas building, built to the same specification. Hope's Peak was expanding, and they used the same plans for more than one. After the tragedy, the Future Foundation used the closest one for their HQ and the rest fell to disrepair. After the sleeping gas knocked out the participants in episode 1, the helicopter that attacked took them to the alternative location.

yeahhhh boiiiii

I'm pretty sure they started out in the overseas building.

[do released images count as scans? need to know before reposting image]

See how there are matching mountains in the background and how Munakata is standing on a platform similar to the ones over the water. Plus Munakata was the one who vouched that it's location was secret iirc and seeing as he oversaw the project, I imagine he'd be an expert on that or not.

Honestly I'd be legitimately upset if the twist was that they were in the overseas branch because then it's so bad that I literally solved it by thinking they were there before the move.

Puruzi

Banned

See how there are matching mountains in the background and how Munakata is standing on a platform similar to the ones over the water. Plus Munakata was the one who vouched that it's location was secret iirc and seeing as he oversaw the project, I imagine he'd be an expert on that or not.

Honestly I'd be legitimately upset if the twist was that they were in the overseas branch because then it's so bad that I literally solved it by thinking they were there before the move.

if it's from a magazine it's a scan. if it's officially uploaded it's not.

I think Rich is saying that this is a second overseas building. Like they started in the one Kyosuke built, and then got moved to a carbon copy that was approved by HPA.

As far as we know, they only approved of the one. I guess there could be a second one, but if there is, I think it's because someone else built it. As in, the traitor helped someone else (the Remnants of Despair? Monaca?) get similar building floor plans. There's definitely something off with where they're at.

Rich's theory honestly makes me wonder if they were moved back to the original HPA building, but then I guess Makoto and co would recognize it if that were the case.

Rich!

there's more than one building, I'm saying.

and at the bolded, no.

GoldStarz

I think Rich is saying that this is a second overseas building. Like they started in the one Kyosuke built, and then got moved to a carbon copy that was approved by HPA.

As far as we know, they only approved of the one. I guess there could be a second one, but if there is, I think it's because someone else built it. As in, the traitor helped someone else (the Remnants of Despair? Monaca?) get similar building floor plans. There's definitely something off with where they're at.

Rich's theory honestly makes me wonder if they were moved back to the original HPA building, but then I guess Makoto and co would recognize it if that were the case.

Oh, that's entirely possible, too.

Oh, that's entirely possible, too.

I believe both options are valid, but personally I'm leaning more to a Despair-controlled replica of the Future Foundation HQ. After all, after the events of DR1 and Junko dead, controlling Hope's Peak would be a significant PR milestone against the whole Despair faction, and plenty of documents may be left behind there. And as stated in the final trial of DR2, they got a small quantity of data about the Izuru Kamukura Project from somewhere; the Academy would be the only place in the world to have that information (aside from a possible existence of an archive compiled by Junko).

So either FF lost control of the Academy during the preamble of the attack in the HQ, or the Remnants built a replica or obtained control of one made before the Tragedy under the noses of the FF - furthering the incompetence of the Future Foundation to everyone watching the broadcast, just like Monokuma wants.

Even so, we still lack a real reason for doing something like that. Maybe securing the original building would have taken too much time - enough for any forces sent by the rest of the power hierarchy to intervene against the plans of Monokuma's mastermind.

GoldStarz

Actually, that's a good question. We can now more or less surmise that the FF heads have been moved, but that still leaves more questions:

Why didn't their captors just bury them in?
Why were they moved?
Why did their captors replicate the base?

And a really big one: Where the fuck is Hiro during all this?

NEO0MJ

Why didn't their captors just bury them in?
Why were they moved?
Why did their captors replicate the base?

And a really big one: Where the fuck is Hiro during all this?

By bury them do you mean trap them in the building or kill them? Because if it's the later the despairs don't work like that. They're kinda like the Outer Party from 1984. They don't want to just get rid of opponents, they have to make them lose all their old convictions and values, make them fall in love with the party and ideology they used to despise, an example to others who hold similar ideals that the way they used to think is wrong and that everyone should follow the bad guys. Then they kill them.

Hiro went to find Soda so they could found the "fans hate them them" team. A dynamic duo with the perfect mix of expandable and indestructible that makes for perfect underdogs.

NullMoon

Neo Member
jB4wphH.png

In episode 2 during the opening credits why does it say 15 remaining survivors? Chisa is dead so shouldn't it say 14 remaining survivor. It's not counting Hiro is it? He's not part of the killing game is he? There are fifteen in this picture 14 minus Chisa yet it says 15 surviving remain.

UberTag

jB4wphH.png

In episode 2 during the opening credits why does it say 15 remaining survivors? Chisa is dead so shouldn't it say 14 remaining survivor. It's not counting Hiro is it? He's not part of the killing game is he? There are fifteen in this picture 14 minus Chisa yet it says 15 surviving remain.
That's one of the fun little mysteries, isn't it? Here's my theory...

- At the start of Episode 1, we had 16 people at the compound. Including Hiro. Thus he was counted despite the fact that he was trapped and left outside the killing game when it kicked off.
- At the start of Episode 2, the counter had dropped to 15. NOT because Chisa was dead. But because Hiro was no longer with the others. Because they've been moved.
- At the start of Episode 3, the counter will say 13. And if you see what I'm driving at, well... I mean, they did sort of clue us in at the start of Despair Episode 1 now, didn't they?

Chisa ain't dead, folks.

GoldStarz

By bury them do you mean trap them in the building or kill them? Because if it's the later the despairs don't work like that. They're kinda like the Outer Party from 1984. They don't want to just get rid of opponents, they have to make them lose all their old convictions and values, make them fall in love with the party and ideology they used to despise, an example to others who hold similar ideals that the way they used to think is wrong and that everyone should follow the bad guys. Then they kill them.

Hiro went to find Soda so they could found the "fans hate them them" team. A dynamic duo with the perfect mix of expandable and indestructible that makes for perfect underdogs.

No I mean, they already trapped them into a perfectly good confined space, for what reason do they have for not just burying them in and having each other there?

That's one of the fun little mysteries, isn't it? Here's my theory...

- At the start of Episode 1, we had 16 people at the compound. Including Hiro. Thus he was counted despite the fact that he was trapped and left outside the killing game when it kicked off.
- At the start of Episode 2, the counter had dropped to 15. NOT because Chisa was dead. But because Hiro was no longer with the others. Because they've been moved.
- At the start of Episode 3, the counter will say 13. And if you see what I'm driving at, well... I mean, they did sort of clue us in at the start of Despair Episode 1 now, didn't they?

Chisa ain't dead, folks.
I don't know, the Monokuma counters didn't exist until after the move, and it's not like you can really count someone as part of the game when they never played at all. Even if Chisa isn't dead, which I'm very suspect of because it's the most obvious and immediate jump to make, it doesn't mean that someone didn't die to lower the counter.

NEO0MJ

No I mean, they already trapped them into a perfectly good confined space, for what reason do they have for not just burying them in and having each other there?

The only explanation is that they need to set up the place right with monitors,cameras, barricades, and who knows what else. I guess they could wave this away by saying they have a lot of helpers but it's still a good point.

Moving could arguably be less hassle for set-up. There are a ton of cameras and monitors in episode 2, that would take them a while to set-up in the pre-existing building (which is huge). If it's their own building that they built with the help of the traitor, they could have more traps, shortcuts and other conveniences for the traitor to get around more easily within the supposedly self-imposed time limit.

As for why it's a replica, making them do it within a building that's supposed to help serve as a sort of secretive beacon of hope for the masses and broadcasting that out to people could add a layer of despair to the proceedings. Basically, it's symbolic for a variety of reasons. Similar to the DR1 set-up in HPA.

We may just be overthinking that point, and they're in the place where they started. That doesn't explain the wood panel... yet.

Maybe Hina's not really gone. She didn't get the audio cue scream, and her blood is red.

I think she's gone, but just to pick up on this, the only people who have had that cue so far are the dead security guards Hina found. Chisa, Daisaku, and Hina did not get the cue. We hand waved Chisa because that scene was cool, perfectly set the mood for this side of the series and didn't require it to have an impact. Daisaku wasn't really discovered in the same way most dead people in DR are, so he didn't really need that reveal music. His scene was similar to Mukuro's death in DR1, which I think also lacked that scream. I'll be interested to see if it happens at the beginning of episode 3 for Hina.

Some people are thinking this might be similar to the DR1 twist, the mastermind is lurking somewhere in the facility as well and being counted instead of Hiro.

UberTag

I don't know, the Monokuma counters didn't exist until after the move, and it's not like you can really count someone as part of the game when they never played at all. Even if Chisa isn't dead, which I'm very suspect of because it's the most obvious and immediate jump to make, it doesn't mean that someone didn't die to lower the counter.
I'm just going by the counter in the OP animation. And that counter was indeed 16 right when Future Episode 1 kicked off.

As for whether someone died to lower the counter as opposed to them just dropping it by one to account for Hiro's absence, well... there are two options. Hiro was killed off-screen (unlikely) or... well, there was most definitely a body resembling Chisa that went down with that chandelier. Clearly that was someone living at some point. I doubt they're pulling a Mukuro Ikusaba again but - well - they probably want us to THINK that they are.

I don't buy that we'll see Hina and Bandai chilling with Chisa in some afterlife viewing party out of LOST to kick off Despair Episode 2. Perhaps I'll be wrong on that count but I don't believe I will. The forced relocation seems to discount Chisa being dead "as part of the game". There were no bracelets at that point. Just the initial gassing and "apparent" move to a different building.

NullMoon

Neo Member
I'm just going by the counter in the OP animation. And that counter was indeed 16 right when Future Episode 1 kicked off.

As for whether someone died to lower the counter as opposed to them just dropping it by one to account for Hiro's absence, well... there are two options. Hiro was killed off-screen (unlikely) or... well, there was most definitely a body resembling Chisa that went down with that chandelier. Clearly that was someone living at some point. I doubt they're pulling a Mukuro Ikusaba again but - well - they probably want us to THINK that they are.

I don't buy that we'll see Hina and Bandai chilling with Chisa in some afterlife viewing party out of LOST to kick off Despair Episode 2. Perhaps I'll be wrong on that count but I don't believe I will. The forced relocation seems to discount Chisa being dead "as part of the game". There were no bracelets at that point. Just the initial gassing and "apparent" move to a different building.

There is definitely some fuckery going on with the numbers. Episode 1 states there are "16 surviving" (The 15 in the Killing game plus Hiro = 16) would account for this. But this number is ambiguous considered there are only 15 involved in the Killing game as illustrated by the picture from Monokuma. If Hiro was part of the game he would appear in the picture yet he does not. There are only 15. So saying "15 surviving" at the beginging of episode 2 doesn't make since if he is not part of the game. So unless the 16 surviving in episode 1 included Hiro and In episode 2 it dropped because Hiro died off screen (I doubt it) and the counter went down because of it. Something does not add up.

There is definitely some fuckery going on with the numbers. Episode 1 states there are "16 surviving" (The 15 in the Killing game plus Hiro = 16) would account for this. But this number is ambiguous considered there are only 15 involved in the Killing game as illustrated by the picture from Monokuma. If Hiro was part of the game he would appear in the picture yet he does not. There are only 15. So saying "15 surviving" at the beginging of episode 2 doesn't make since if he is not part of the game. So unless the 16 surviving in episode 1 included Hiro and In episode 2 it dropped because Hiro died off screen (I doubt it) and the counter went down because of it. Something does not add up.

I think the killer is NOT part of the initial 15 in the building .. it would be lame , but either someone has yet to be shown (trapped with the others ) or the killer is another entity .
Since the game is broadcasted to the world , it needs to be fair at first glance , so i'll put my money on someone trapped in the building that hasn't appeared yet.

Third option : Monomi counts as 1 participant ( crazy i know )

Isn't it more likely that a significant amount of time has passed between the attack on the HQ and them waking up, rather than them being moved?

Isn't it more likely that a significant amount of time has passed between the attack on the HQ and them waking up, rather than them being moved?
I think the only problem with that is that it has already been done with the first one. And the thing with the door makes more sense if they moved, rather than simply some time passed.

GoldStarz

Not unless they got a completely new door. The place where Izayoi's kunai pierced the door is not only missing the kunai but any marks on the door as well

Thud

That's what they want you to think, but they actually moved back in time. Of course they can't do that unless it's in a simulator. So the theory that FF is in the wrong place is more plausible.

What kinda disturbs me is that the bodies are still there. You can shit on Junko all you want, but at least she kept the place clean. Funny seeing that the housekeeper got killed first.

Fandangox

jB4wphH.png

My guess is that they are counting him. One episode is gonna start with the characters realizing mafia didn't kill anybody at night and they are gonna wonder what happened, but the opening will have the reduced number accounting for the off-screen death. Although I'm not sure how would this make sense with the building theory. That said I can't come up with a good reason why the traitor would want to kill him, unless they show Hiro snooping around.

Alternatively, there's a completely different person there.

Shouta

I caught the episodes were out. WHY DID YOU DO THAT TO US IN EP 2, FUTURE ARC!? WHY!? Stupid flags before it happening.

Finally saw Future arc episode 2. :(

totally thought the returning cast would be safe. Guess not

Also, glad I hadn't come into this thread before hand. Open spoilers and what not. Or are open spoilers ok?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Also, glad I hadn't come into this thread before hand. Open spoilers and what not. Or are open spoilers ok?

As far as I can see, anything officially released is open game.

Rich!

once it's aired, it's ok to be posted. same for any other thread. And in terms of images etc, stuff like this official promo art is OK that only reveals current characters:

Cnx_a8YUAAEY5ab.jpg

on the other hand, when said official promo display turns into an absolutely genuine spoiler of a returning character, it needs to be spoilered or behind a link:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cnx_e05UAAAh3Wp.jpg

and then their name would need to be put behind a spoiler tag:

middle left. byakuya togami.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom