• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanently A

I think the worst part about all this is everyone telling Hajime "its okay to be normal" and he still goes through with the Izuru project.

Feels bad, man.

UberTag

In life, it doesn't matter how much people believe in you when you aren't strong enough to believe in their belief
Granted, if Hajime's family was wealthy, strength wouldn't have been a necessity for him. It's his own damn fault that he had a foolish notion of wanting and needing to attend Hope's Peak despite having no discerning talent whatsoever. Hearing "it's okay to be normal" when he's that committed to realizing his dream and has a solution to his financial woes placed right in his lap... I mean, one little chat with Tengan isn't going to dissuade that.

x90Lapz.png

That was Hajime's theory, yes

However

It's wrong. Gundam challenged Nekomaru to a one on one fight. He explicitly denies having used his hamsters to hit the sleep button on Nekomaru.

This image is pretty striking (his hamsters are nowhere to be seen), and his choice of words are important. The fact that both characters fought is pretty much undeniable, and the subtext makes it pretty clear that Gundam didn't use his hamsters to fight. It was a battle to the death and Gundam won.
If that's the case, then I definitely misread that exchange.

Honestly this is the first time I've ever heard it explained that way, so it's news to me.

Hey guys, just thought I'd mention my severe disappointment at the title of this OT.
In my opinion, it holds a massive spoiler in the fact it confirms Nagito lives through Danganronpa 2. I'm someone who only just started playing Danganronpa 2 and once I remembered seeing this topic and the name included it was like a gut punch. My whole experience with the game has been changed since I now know he doesn't die. If you could please change it to something less spoilerish that would be appreciated. Also, I'm only up to chapter 3 of Danganronpa 2 so please don't mention any spoilers about that either.

Hey guys, just thought I'd mention my severe disappointment at the title of this OT.
In my opinion, it holds a massive spoiler in the fact it confirms Nagito lives through Danganronpa 2. I'm someone who only just started playing Danganronpa 2 and once I remembered seeing this topic and the name included it was like a gut punch. My whole experience with the game has been changed since I now know he doesn't die. If you could please change it to something less spoilerish that would be appreciated. Also, I'm only up to chapter 3 of Danganronpa 2 so please don't mention any spoilers about that either.

You assume too much. DR3 Despair is a prequel anyway. You're more likely to be spoiled by something real by coming in here.

Jigorath

Banned

You're trolling right?

Puruzi

Banned
stop

Permanently A

DR3 is a prequel so its not as spoilerish as you think it is.

I think you're mistaken about 2 things.
First the entire cast of dangan 2 is in the despair arc , it's a prequel so everyone is there in the anime.
Second, this thread is about the current events we're actively discussing DR1, 2 , AE events , you should flee from here ASAP.
Third , there are no spoilers in that title thread.

Thud

Oh you sweet summer child. Flee while you can.

chiimisu

If they go down the Hajime/Chiaki romance route then that's a pretty big reason for him to go through with the project, given that he'd have to leave the school otherwise.

This actually might be the case, aside from his inferiority complex and financial struggles. Changing a school is a kind of big deal in Japan, if I am not mistaken. He might've thought he won't be able to see Chiaki anymore.

PsionBolt

It's kind of unreasonable how much more enjoyable the Despair Arc is than the Future Arc. It's like every time they make a new cast in this series, 90% of them are worse than the previous bunch. And then all the good few die, so you have to live with the sucky ones until you don't hate them as much.

FluxWaveZ

It's kind of unreasonable how much more enjoyable the Despair Arc is than the Future Arc. It's like every time they make a new cast in this series, 90% of them are worse than the previous bunch. And then all the good few die, so you have to live with the sucky ones until you don't hate them as much.

I'm preferring the Future arc right now.

I'm liking the Despair arc more as well, but part of it is probably because of the familiar cast in a familiar setting. I know practically nothing about most of the Future cast, aside from them being total assholes, so there's a disconnect. The mystery is the only thing driving Future right now, while Despair has the mystery and characters I know and care about. Despair's mystery is also imo the more interesting one, since it's SDR2's biggest unanswered question, though I do really like how I have no idea what to expect in Future.

Despair is also more typical Danganronpa in tone, while Future is just grimdark grimdarkness with zero comic relief atm.

FStubbs

If they go down the Hajime/Chiaki romance route then that's a pretty big reason for him to go through with the project, given that he'd have to leave the school otherwise.

The episode ends with him going out on a date with Chiaki. It's happening.

I'm liking the Despair arc more as well, but part of it is probably because of the familiar cast in a familiar setting. I know practically nothing about most of the Future cast, aside from them being total assholes, so there's a disconnect. The mystery is the only thing driving Future right now, while Despair has the mystery and characters I know and care about. Despair's mystery is also imo the more interesting one, since it's SDR2's biggest unanswered question, though I do really like how I have no idea what to expect in Future.

Despair is also more typical Danganronpa in tone, while Future is just grimdark grimdarkness with zero comic relief atm.

It had some comic relief but someone put a knife in her ample bosom at the end of episode 1.

But man though, P4 protag and his bros need to cut Naegi some slack, this is the guy that beat motherfucking Junko, a bunch of ultimate despairs killed themselves off when they saw it, how much more proof do you need this guy is on your side? They barely give him a chance to speak, they go straight for the jugular, calm down you fucks.

GoldStarz

But man though, P4 protag and his bros need to cut Naegi some slack, this is the guy that beat motherfucking Junko, a bunch of ultimate despairs killed themselves off when they saw it, how much more proof do you need this guy is on your side? They barely give him a chance to speak, they go straight for the jugular, calm down you fucks.

I mean to be fair she let him win and Makoto states that things got a lot wilder in response to her death like some sort of retaliation. Not to mention these are people witnessed the collapse of society and death of countless innocents while Makoto and Friends were playing their cozy little murder game to see who could escape purgatory to go to hell. I'm not saying they're nice people, but they definitely have good reasons to be mad at Makoto even if what he did was ultimately the right thing.

Permanently A

Oddly enough I feel more excitement watching Future arc and seeing where the plot will go, whereas I dread watching Despair arc because everything is too cheerful. I just felt horrible watching Chiaki and Hajime's meet cute.

DNAbro

I'm enjoying Future more cause I don't know what's going to happen. There is mystery involved and I don't know the fates of these characters. I like Danganronpa for it's mysteries.

We all know how Despair ends, we just get to see how it happens. It's super great to see these characters again though and learn more about them.

UberTag

I'm excited to see how revelations within the Despair arc provide context and clarity into the mysteries contained within the Future arc.
Especially as it pertains to character motivations for some of the newly introduced Future Foundation folk.

I mean to be fair she let him win and Makoto states that things got a lot wilder in response to her death like some sort of retaliation. Not to mention these are people witnessed the collapse of society and death of countless innocents while Makoto and Friends were playing their cozy little murder game to see who could escape purgatory to go to hell. I'm not saying they're nice people, but they definitely have good reasons to be mad at Makoto even if what he did was ultimately the right thing.

I don't mind that their initial reaction is to be mad about it, the problem is that they go 0-100 ,I mean if there's anyone on the planet to give the benefit of the doubt to before you go straight to execution its Naegi.

I hope Hagakure doesn't die. That would be just kind of disappointing. I would have been fine if Asahina survived for him to die, but not both of them. I'd honestly sooner have any other character from the original cast die than him, Toko aside.

Count me as someone who currently prefers Future arc over Despair. I look forward to Future each week as it's more exciting and interesting. I'm eager to see where it goes and how they finish up the HPA saga. I personally like learning more about the new characters and seeing how they adapt to the new game. Also, I love mysteries and as mentioned we have the benefit of not knowing how it ends.

Despair is still fun, and it is cool seeing how things went to hell. That said, one of the big reasons I look forward to it each week is because we get to learn more about Future arc's characters and events, and how the past shapes the future.

MSMrRound

You shouldn't even be here if you fear spoilers.

Do like what some of us did. Go on a blackout or whatsoever until you are done with the game. Don't even go on Youtube and search stuff related to Danganronpa.

UberTag

I'm a little curious how they'll handle the fact that the Future arc will have its finale before the Despair arc. I mean, if the Future arc's closing moments are the franchise's capper then what will that Despair finale boast. Just the Despairs raising havoc and a Junko showcase or will it offer something more than that? (Or will there be a twist of some kind - which may have already been inferred at the beginning of Despair Episode 1.)

sjay1994

Question, side future takes place after DR2 right? Or is it between DR1 and 2?

Nvm, looked it up. It is a sequel.

Hina's death makes sense now

Thud

I like how Despair now is like you all have a Future. Future is like there's nothing but Despair.

We know there will be a point that twists both.

I just want to say that dual releases a week is one of the best thing about all this. There is basically no downtime and painful waiting for a new episode to drop, and always something new to stir up conversation. I know it's not feasable for other anime (both financially and story-wise), but damn I wish more series would adapt that.

Rich!

rwVGW.gif

hahahaha

oh my god. aside from the fact that DR3 despair is a prequel, please, come back after you've finished danganronpa 2 just so that you can re-read your post and laugh at it with us.
specifically regarding your assumption about nagito

Permanently A

I just want to say that dual releases a week is one of the best thing about all this. There is basically no downtime and painful waiting for a new episode to drop, and always something new to stir up conversation. I know it's not feasable for other anime (both financially and story-wise), but damn I wish more series would adapt that.

Its really genius. I was totally skeptical of it, thought it would be confusing to follow and the mood whiplash would be detrimental, but they totally sold me on how they developed Chisa's character postmortem. The way we're going to get exposition in Despair arc about the FF members so Future arc can be nonstop action and tension is masterful.

I'm a lot more interested in the future arc than the despair arc since we don't know how the future will end

we don't know who will die, what twists, etc, like I have no idea whats the end goal will be so its definitely a lot more interesting to tune in every week

the despair arc is a lot more enjoyable cause I love the characters but we mostly know their fate, so it's just slowly watching everything go terribly wrong with them and its a bit horrible knowing there's nothing we can do about that

Rich!

I'm a lot more interested in the future arc than the despair arc since we don't know how the future will end

we don't know who will die, what twists, etc, like I have no idea whats the end goal will be so its definitely a lot more interesting to tune in every week

the despair arc is a lot more enjoyable cause I love the characters but we mostly know their fate, so it's just slowly watching everything go terribly wrong with them and its a bit horrible knowing there's nothing we can do about that

the despair arc is absolutely engrossing for me purely because I know their fate. And I'm scared to see how they end up there.

Puruzi

Banned
The despair arc fucks me up. Seeing them all friendly is great but then you know that they kill each other and it's like fuck.

The despair arc fucks me up. Seeing them all friendly is great but then you know that they kill each other and it's like fuck.

That's a
virtual world.

The DR1 cast did kill each other after the memory wipe, and according to
Mukuro
in DR IF, that was necessary since it was the only class she didn't get to despair since they trusted each other.

FluxWaveZ

That's a
virtual world.

Mukuro
in DR IF, that was necessary since it was the only class she didn't get to despair since they trusted each other.

Virtual or not, it doesn't change the fact that they were made to "kill" each other after a time when they seemed to all be best buddies with each other.

What compels me about the Despair arc is the upcoming downfall. I enjoy seeing situations deteriorate dramatically.

Rich!

I'm really interested in seeing again the eventual realisation of the DR2 crew of just how fucked up nagito is, but this time for real!!!

We already had our first hint of it last episode. Nagito in DR 2 is still the best character arc in all of DR imo

Puruzi

Banned
That's a
virtual world.

Mukuro

Well yeah, I know its a virtual world. They still killed each other.

Rich!

Well yeah, I know its a virtual world. They still killed each other.

Only four of them did! And one of those was to save everyone else in a mutual and honourable fight to the death! The only true murderers were Teruteru (twisted by nagito), Pekoyama (twisted sense of honour), Mikan (sabotaged by monokuma into remembering the past) and Gundham (mutual battle with a robot Nidai to save everyone). The only debatable one was Nagito, but he killed himself, and was only doing so to eliminate despair.

And the fact is, they all entered into the game knowing exactly what was going to happen. Their plan was to kill each other and be taken over by AI Junko. But hope won in the end

I'd say that's a good outcome. The "dead" aren't even technically dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom