• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich!

That's true.

Couldn't we have a third option in which

Chiaki goes away to play in the Pokemon World Cup (or something) and leaves him alone in his lowest moment so he despairs? But she then returns after the Neo World Program to help him remember who he was? Could we? Could we?

lol no

Chiaki is gonna get brutally murdered, likely by Izuru

Dat despair

Conceptually, Izuru killing Chiaki would be the development that makes the most sense as well as delivering the main impact.

It's really just a question of how much does the series intent to challenge/fill in blanks of what we don't know regarding the Class of 77.

Eg. Naegi finding Izuru, while the camera pans to the flower, seems to imply that Izuru was the one who put it there, and if it's Izuru mourning the dead... it's only either Junko or Chiaki.

If it's Chiaki, then it would challenge the notion that Izuru is the rational choice to have killed Chiaki in the Killing Game.

I mean, I could also easily see a scenario where Chiaki's death triggers the fall of Izuru and the Remnants of Despair as well.

Conceptually, Izuru killing Chiaki would be the development that makes the most sense as well as delivering the main impact.

It's really just a question of how much does the series intent to challenge/fill in blanks of what we don't know regarding the Class of 77.

Eg. Naegi finding Izuru, while the camera pans to the flower, seems to imply that Izuru was the one who put it there, and if it's Izuru mourning the dead... it's only either Junko or Chiaki.

If it's Chiaki, then it would challenge the notion that Izuru is the rational choice to have killed Chiaki in the Killing Game.

I mean, I could also easily see a scenario where Chiaki's death triggers the fall of Izuru and the Remnants of Despair as well.

I was just about to type up a response over the idea of Izuru leaving Chiaki flowers. I agree; if that's who he's honoring then I think it's very unlikely that he did the killing and her death is the last nudge that pushes him fully over the edge.

Although if the flowers are for Junko (which I hadn't considered) then I think it's very likely he's the one that axed Chiaki.

e: Is the "official" DR timeline on tumblr actually official? Because if it is they just posted a short branching questionnaire that "places" you in a Future Foundation branch. Apparently I fit under the 4th branch with Seiko making new medicines and techniques.

One thing that has me convinced is that in Another Episode, Izuru violently punches through Shirokuma and Kurokuma's heads to reach their tech; with the way it was timed, very shortly after they are revealed to be Alter Ego Junko, Izuru seems contemptful towards Junko. So I'm predicting that he does not kill Chiaki, but instead sees her killed.

Rich!

I suspect that Izuru will see chiaki killed, as the first victim of the killing game, and then snap and kill literally everyone else in a tarantino-esque show of violence.

Anyhow. I haven't really watched much anime...I was really, really disappointed with the adaptation of DR1, but so far DR3 is absolutely blowing me away. It's hitting all the right notes - it's exciting, and it's really quite emotional too. And the despair arc is really giving me a nice expansion to the DR2 crew. The last episode was simply perfect. And I felt the visuals were beautiful in most scenes.

It's making me want to seek out more japanese animated shows...I've watched a lot of animated films (ghibli, akira, etc), but I've never really delved into any of the TV side of things. Any recommendations? - preferably those available on UK crunchyroll.

I suspect that Izuru will see chiaki killed, as the first victim of the killing game, and then snap and kill literally everyone else in a tarantino-esque show of violence.

Anyhow. I haven't really watched much anime...I was really, really disappointed with the adaptation of DR1, but so far DR3 is absolutely blowing me away. It's hitting all the right notes - it's exciting, and it's really quite emotional too. And the despair arc is really giving me a nice expansion to the DR2 crew. The last episode was simply perfect. And I felt the visuals were beautiful in most scenes.

It's making me want to seek out more japanese animated shows...I've watched a lot of animated films (ghibli, akira, etc), but I've never really delved into any of the TV side of things. Any recommendations? - preferably those available on UK crunchyroll.

I've seen a lot of hate for the DR1 anime, and I get it, but I've also been able to use it to convert a lot of my friends to the series and get them to commit time to the games. I think it has its place.

As for anime recommendations...can you narrow it down a bit. Rampant cliches aside anime is more of a style than a genre. Also my go to recommends aren't on crunchyroll, it's mostly hulu or netflix stuff.

Rich!

I've seen a lot of hate for the DR1 anime, and I get it, but I've also been able to use it to convert a lot of my friends to the series and get them to commit time to the games. I think it has its place.

As for anime recommendations...can you narrow it down a bit. Rampant cliches aside anime is more of a style than a genre. Also my go to recommends aren't on crunchyroll, it's mostly hulu or netflix stuff.

something with a darker edge to it, yet still beautiful I guess!

Oh yeah, I do love sailor moon, one piece and berserk! I forgot to mention those.

Oh yeah, I do love sailor moon, one piece and berserk! I forgot to mention those.

Sailor Moon and One Piece? My man.

Darker with some beauty? Well there's Jojo, although it's super stylized to the point that it put some people off. Also the first half of season 1 is pretty slow for most people.

Rich!

Sailor Moon and One Piece? My man.

Darker with some beauty? Well there's Jojo, although it's super stylized to the point that it put some people off. Also the first half of season 1 is pretty slow for most people.

I was looking at that, actually.

I do like sailor moon as both me and my daughter can watch it together - but I'm looking for stuff I can watch alone. I was looking at one punch man and attack on titan too

Permanently A

Oh shit.

I just realized that Despair Gundham has a giant python and the Ultimate Despairs often sacrificed what they loved most for Despair.

Gundham fed his Dark Devas to the snake

Rich!

Oh shit.

I just realized that Despair Gundham has a giant python and the Ultimate Despairs often sacrificed what they loved most for Despair.

Gundham fed his Dark Devas to the snake

haha that's a pretty insane leap there

but then again, he is wearing the snake as a scarf...

Mononoke (the TV anime, not Princess Mononoke by Ghibli)
Jin-Roh the Wolf's Brigade (Movie)
Angel's Egg (Movie)
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (TV anime)
Haibane Renmei (TV Anime)
Hunter x Hunter 2011 (TV Anime)
Katanagatari (TV Anime)

Im curious whether hajime post op will be hostile to chiaki or will be dependent on her keeping him sane. Glad they elaborated on the Dangonronpa school girl murder in the series.

Rich!

Mononoke (the TV anime, not Princess Mononoke by Ghibli)
Jin-Roh the Wolf's Brigade (Movie)
Angel's Egg (Movie)
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (TV anime)
Haibane Renmei (TV Anime)
Hunter x Hunter 2011 (TV Anime)
Katanagatari (TV Anime)

heh, I love princess mononoke! It's a beautiful film - but very long.

They all sound like good recommendations. I'll check them out. Thanks!

I'll be I'm here more often from now on, but I've also loved the show so far. I'm especially hooked on Future Arc, but it's good to see my man Teruteru.

heh, I love princess mononoke! It's a beautiful film - but very long.

They all sound like good recommendations. I'll check them out. Thanks!

Have you seen Bebop?

Rich!

I'll be I'm here more often from now on, but I've also loved the show so far. I'm especially hooked on Future Arc, but it's good to see my man Teruteru.

Have you seen Bebop?

cowboy bebop?

Read a few bits here and there, but wouldn't know where to start. I'm a novice, really.

cowboy bebop?

Read a few bits here and there, but wouldn't know where to start. I'm a novice, really.

Yup, I'd highly recommend it and it's often recommended as a gateway anime alongside Death Note in my experience. Bebop is only 26 episodes and while a lot of them have the characters going off on these self contained space bounty hunt missions that are sometimes goofy there's definitely some dark elements to the show and the main thread that is spread out among the 26 episodes.

It's a classic for a reason!

Edit: not that you are a noobie to anime or Japanese entertainment or anything, but sometimes I feel like anime fans want to recommend their personal favorites and not what is actually a good introduction to the medium.

UberTag

I'll throw out a quick recommendation for an anime called Shiki (those of you subbed to FUNimation for Danganronpa can watch it here). It reminds me a lot of Danganronpa in terms of juggling a huge cast with wacky hairstyles/character designs and going into some very dark places. There's a very strong hope vs. despair dynamic prevailing the entire way through that you'll find yourself continuously challenged by and the acting is solid from both the Japanese cast and the English dub cast. Plus, the first episode features a character that looks a heck of a lot like Junko as its protagonist.

giphy.gif

So, started reading Killer Killer. Is this like, Manga!Dexter? And was the fact that it was DR related revealed in the first chapter? I mean, I don't think 'Killer Killer' is automatically taken by DR.

I'll throw out a quick recommendation for an anime called Shiki (those of you subbed to FUNimation for Danganronpa can watch it here). It reminds me a lot of Danganronpa in terms of juggling a huge cast with wacky hairstyles/character designs and going into some very dark places. There's a very strong hope vs. despair dynamic prevailing the entire way through that you'll find yourself continuously challenged by and the acting is solid from both the Japanese cast and the English dub cast. Plus, the first episode features a character that looks a heck of a lot like Junko as its protagonist.

giphy.gif

I mean, if you like Hope vs Despair, Puella Magi Madoka Magica is probably the very best example.

FluxWaveZ

The thing that brought me to Danganronpa—first and foremost—and the primary reason why I enjoy it is because it specifically focuses around established, defined characters that need to kill each other in closed environments, and usually without sugar coating it.

Such a simple and straightforward concept that Battle Royale has, yet Danganronpa is literally the only video game series that does it.

Also wait, I thought Killer Killer/Sparkling Justice was Hispanic? Is this another killer of killers who goes by Killer Killer? Or was the original only a reference that made sense in Japanese so it was changed to that?

EDIT: Nevermind, Chapter 3 explains it. Sorta completely undermines the 'gotcha' of case two though.

So, started reading Killer Killer. Is this like, Manga!Dexter? And was the fact that it was DR related revealed in the first chapter? I mean, I don't think 'Killer Killer' is automatically taken by DR.

Nah, it was revealed in chapter 3. Until then the only references to DR, IIRC, were the pink blood, the name "Killer Killer", and the vague "Incident".

Nah, it was revealed in chapter 3. Until then the only references to DR, IIRC, were the pink blood, the name "Killer Killer", and the vague "Incident".

I'm a little annoyed now though; isn't the world too 'normal' for having been overcome by despair? Unless this is supposed to be set in a bastion city where Future Foundation has pacified things.

Mann is it really only 12 episodes each? I feel like Future needs to be longer.

It does for both Despair/Future if the intent is to flesh out all the characters just like the games do and give meaning to their moments and deaths.

But 3 episodes-in, I don't really see those stories as replicating the beats of what the games do, but rather are more focused on specific core stories and subplots.

Future, from what I see, is focused on:
- a final battle between Hope & Despair
- clash of the viewpoints between Naegi & Munakata
- closure of the storyline established in 1,2 & AE

Same with Despair. With only 9 episodes, while also telling the subplot of Chisa & Jozu at Hope's Peak figuring out the mystery, Junko/Mukuro, their influence on Class 77, the Tragedy, the start of humanity's descent, it's way too short to give every character its meaningful corruption storyline.

Chances are Chiaki will be the primary focus and the lense into Class 77, and that her death is a key trigger to push them over the edge into Despair, rather than say, each one individually corrupted for different reasons.

Mann is it really only 12 episodes each? I feel like Future needs to be longer.

I don't get that feel at all personally; it's frankly a two-cour series being aired in a single season. It's hella ambitious, and I feel a lot has been revealed for only being a quarter of the way into it.

MSMrRound

It's pretty telling when Kodaka himself referred to the series being "6 episodes into Danganronpa 3".

He isn't looking at each chapter as their own standalone title, but rather, he plans to lay out the story of Danganronpa 3 by intertwining both Future arc and Despair arc together.

gaiages

Banned

I'd personally recommend Akame ga Kill (I never see anyone talk about it, does no one like it?)

My bf made we watch the first episode blind and I thought it was gonna be lame at first but man, it really turns into something great, even in that first episode. I really like how it balances light-heartedness with some really dark and heavy shit.

Don't look into it, just watch the first episode and see what you think :p

It's pretty telling when Kodaka himself referred to the series being "6 episodes into Danganronpa 3".

He isn't looking at each chapter as their own standalone title, but rather, he plans to lay out the story of Danganronpa 3 by intertwining both Future arc and Despair arc together.

Are people still questioning this? I thought it was made clear when the first episode of Despair started.

Rich!

not sure how I ended up feeling sympathetic towards natsumi and disliking the crazy bitch that sato turned out being

was not expecting that

The_Kid

I don't Know, I've always liked "Another" as a darker mystery sort of anime. A death every episode or two with a mystery of why its happening and who is causing it.

I'm trying to remember the timeline of the first killing game in relation to the second, because Junko is part of the 78th class right? So it wouldn't happen until their first "peaceful" year, right?

I'd personally recommend Akame ga Kill (I never see anyone talk about it, does no one like it?)

Awful, awful, awful, awful show. :////

I don't Know, I've always liked "Another" as a darker mystery sort of anime. A death every episode or two with a mystery of why its happening and who is causing it.

Another is fun if you don't take it seriously at all. It's pretty darn wacky.

If we're talking anime recs, I gotta rep my faves Baccano, Durarara, Psycho-Pass, Bakemonogatari, Mawaru Penguindrum, and Fate/Zero.

Speaking of other anime, two recent ones I've picked up thanks to the Funi membership are Assassination Classroom and My Hero Academia. I loved MHA, and after watching all of the currently available episodes I went on to catch up with the manga. So good. Assassination Classroom is pretty funny, and I've been enjoying that so far.

I was going to pick up Psycho-Pass next, as I've been meaning to watch that for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom