• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanently A

3d44e3a00184aa8301e3f36d9b98ba67.png

Total bullshit

I'm sorry for the language , but this episode ...My emotions

Look at this , Look at this moment .. let's play co-op together !!
%5BHorribleSubs%5D%20Danganronpa%203%20-%20Despair%20Arc%20-%2003%20%5B1080p%5D.mkv_snapshot_09.40_%5B2016.07.28_16.09.26%5D.jpg

what could have been...
The meaning , it's obvious .. this was it , that pivotal moment , and she came afterward with ANOTHER GAME to cheer him up ...

Play ..the co-op game ! Dammit , once is never enough.

----------------------
And this dude , this idiot...

Let's look at this idiot.
%5BHorribleSubs%5D%20Danganronpa%203%20-%20Despair%20Arc%20-%2003%20%5B1080p%5D.mkv_snapshot_20.08_%5B2016.07.28_16.37.25%5D.jpg

Moron of the decade

You can't just say , oh well hope's peak rotten to the core after you beat someone and was about to send him to the hospital.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU ????

And goddamn that hope for munakata , where does it come from ? I mean , yeah he's talented , how about you guys look at the problem in front of you.
Instead of doing your job and acting like you should , for munakata sake , you're already creating sparks ..no wonder the thing will explose afterwards if only a portion of the student lobby was treated properly ... LOOK AT IT you acty like the school is rotten , but your attitude is part of the reason .. At least yukizome is fair with everyone , But you ...YOU DON'T PROTECT SOMEONE by sending him to the hospital because he talked back Are you an idiot ? No ..sorry for asking the question , you're a super level highschool idiot !

At this point you're supposed to be humble and say : " i was in charge of security and i failed , but i'll do everything in my power in order to get to the truth .. meanwhile , let me handle this , because people are dead and it's dangerous"

^^^That would have been enough^^^i don't care if you wan to protect , you're doing a very poor job at it.. Why are you fuelling the grudge between the reserve student and the normal student , you're AWARE that something is going on behind the scene , why are you so stupid to add oil on the fire ?

Who the heck hired this guy ? enoshima junko ? is that for real ..
Your action in the future arc now make perfect sense , you're supposed to be that great guy , but you don't think , who gave you your stat sheet and put no points in INT ? You're a moron and idiot and you're useless and you don't even have any kind of remorse , man i want to see you dead in the future arc SO BAD

Juzo: Get outta here, normie.
Hinata: Hey, there's more to life than talent!
Juzo: You're right. The normies can bow to the talent as they should.
Hinata: Man, I guess that means I should ignore all of the advice I've been getting and become talented like Juzo.

Hinata's a goober is what I'm saying

Also I liked that they flew through Natsumi and Sato's deaths because, unless I've understood the timeline completely wrong, there's still a lot of ground to cover before we get to end of this downward spiral. Or I guess they could cut off the season before then, I dunno.

Nah hes not a goober. Sure he may have been heading towards the "being normal is ok" camp but he wasn't there yet and his run in with Juzo completely derailed his journey. Its easy to waiver when you haven't committed yourself to something. Especially when you get beat to crap and told you're just barely good enough to lick someones shoes.

Permanently A

Nah hes not a goober. Sure he may have been heading towards the "being normal is ok" camp but he wasn't there yet and his run in with Juzo completely derailed his journey. Its easy to waiver when you haven't committed yourself to something. Especially when you get beat to crap and told you're just barely good enough to lick someones shoes.

On top of that his encounter with Natsumi really shook him. Everytime people told him "its okay to be normal" it was coming from people with talent. So when Natsumi, someone else in a similar position to him, said that she wasn't worthy of being around her brother if she wasn't an Ultimate too, Hajime ended up agreeing with that. That's why he decides not to hang out with Chiaki. He wants to become someone with talent, someone worthy enough to be in the presence of other Ultimates.

I was expecting some verbal smackdown from Komaeda to be the catalyst for Hajime to accept being the test subject for the Hope Cultivation Plan, but I see Jyuzo was a good enough substitute. Even if he tried to keep a Reserve Course student from meddling and being killed by the Academy (without even knowing the guy was pivotal in the whole Kamukura affair), it's obvious that the pervassive attitude concerning talent was the main idea behind him going overboard with stopping Hajime.

Also, it was good to see characterization for both Natsumi and Sato. The enrollment of Fuyuhiko was a big hit to her pride and self-confidence, and seeing Koizumi as an easy target was giving her a possibility for not being left behind. Meanwhile, Sato was borderline obsesed with Mahiru's safety - protecting her was an escapegoat for her own frustrations about being in the Reserve Department.

The fact that the anime skipped the events touched upon in DR2 makes clear to me that we're not going to see the events of DR0 in any form - but considering the importance of the Student Council's Killing Game we are assured to see its consequences in the entire school. Still, I hope we get to see the whole brainwashing complex below the school.

As for Izuru, I expect him to appear around the same time as Junko - possibly in chapter 5. And if Matsuda will take a part of anything important he'll probably be introduced next week.

I guess the big mystery now is whone is the big bad behind the Izuru experiment itself. I don't think it's Kirigiri, and while I bet DR0 dude will be involved I doubt he'did be in charge. Smart money still on Tengan?

maybe the guy behind the izuru kamukura experiement is...izuru kamukura?
If you remember Chapter 6 of DR2, it was explained that the purpose of the Academy was to study talent to foster the creation of a supergenius. At least 77 years passed since the foundation of the school and the creation of Izuru 1.0, I don't think the guy would live enough to see this happening. And considering DR0 and the anime, it's obvious that the Steering Committee is the running the show on this.

UberTag

Also, it was good to see characterization for both Natsumi and Sato. The enrollment of Fuyuhiko was a big hit to her pride and self-confidence, and seeing Koizumi as an easy target was giving her a possibility for not being left behind. Meanwhile, Sato was borderline obsessed with Mahiru's safety - protecting her was a scapegoat for her own frustrations about being in the Reserve Department.
Incidentally, I thought it was surprisingly cool to see Natsumi so respectful of her brother so as to not blow Peko's cover while she was ranting/unloading at Hajime.

I mean, she is undoubtedly jealous of the fact that Peko (being talented unlike herself) is able to stay by Fuyuhiko's side unlike her - I'm sure that alone was a driving force as to why she was so adamant to be recognized for her talent and join the main school (albeit at Mahiru's expense).

And yet she didn't mention Peko once - because she obviously knew if she did and it got back to Fuyuhiko that it would upset him because A) it wouldn't have come from anyone else and B) he wants Peko to maintain her status of an equal and not some duty-bound bodyguard.

It's clear to me that Natsumi was not only devoted to her brother but respected him greatly as well. The fact that they were able to convey this without ever showing them interacting with one another is impressive.

Permanently A

Incidentally, I thought it was surprisingly cool to see Natsumi so respectful of her brother so as to not blow Peko's cover while she was ranting/unloading at Hajime.

I mean, she is undoubtedly jealous of the fact that Peko (being talented unlike herself) is able to stay by Fuyuhiko's side unlike her - I'm sure that alone was a driving force as to why she was so adamant to be recognized for her talent and join the main school (albeit at Mahiru's expense).

And yet she didn't mention Peko once - because she obviously knew if she did and it got back to Fuyuhiko that it would upset him because A) it wouldn't have come from anyone else and B) he wants Peko to maintain her status of an equal and not some duty-bound bodyguard.

It's clear to me that Natsumi was not only devoted to her brother but respected him greatly as well. The fact that they were able to convey this without ever showing them interacting with one another is impressive.

Didn't even notice that, great analysis.

On top of that his encounter with Natsumi really shook him. Everytime people told him "its okay to be normal" it was coming from people with talent. So when Natsumi, someone else in a similar position to him, said that she wasn't worthy of being around her brother if she wasn't an Ultimate too, Hajime ended up agreeing with that. That's why he decides not to hang out with Chiaki. He wants to become someone with talent, someone worthy enough to be in the presence of other Ultimates.

Mostly it feels a little too easy to push this onto Juzo and Natsumi when Hinata's conflicted, yes, but still a human being capable of deciding for himself what he wants to do. They're both clearly negative influences but opposition occurs no matter what path in life you walk. Hinata simply isn't strong enough to believe in himself despite all the positive talks he gets about what he can do and accomplish and enjoy. That's regrettable both for the immediate story and how things eventually turn out but he's the one choosing where to point his feet. Chiaki, Chisa, and Tengan aren't merely dribbling out platitudes. They're genuine words of support that a teenager is choosing to ignore in order to reinforce his own negativity.

Natsumi's anguish over falling behind her brother was rattling and I thought it was excellent. So far as shaking someone's convictions I feel like her words were much more effective in getting Hinata to decide that he needs talent to get what he wants. Juzo's words simply reinforced that by illustrating the idea that without talent Hinata won't be able to be anything of real note. Really though the true solution in hindsight would have been for Juzo to let Hinata get killed. Would've snuffed out a lot of troubles down the road but that's not super interesting.

Juzo did nothing wrong

I've been meaning to ask this...

Was it ever obvious that Chiaki was an actual human being and member of the despair class? I always thought she was purely a creation of Future Foundation after playing D2.

I need more Nagito shenanigans.

This is truth. His appearance in Ultra Despair Girls let me down. Can't get snubbed here at the finish line.

Boxer cunt needs to get some self awareness, talking about the place being rotten when he's directly contributing to it, good lord no wonder the reserve students rebelled

Was it ever obvious that Chiaki was an actual human being and member of the despair class? I always thought she was purely a creation of Future Foundation after playing D2.
Never. Which is why everyone was so surprised at her being in this anime - it's seen almost as a retcon. The game made it very clear she was purely a creation of Chihiro.

Never. Which is why everyone was so surprised at her being in this anime - it's seen almost as a retcon. The game made it very clear she was purely a creation of Chihiro.

It's a pretty sweet retcon though. AI Chiaki can still clearly be tagged as a creation of Chihiro while Real Chiaki serves as a great indication of why she'd be the template for the project. And as far as storytelling goes it just puts so many awful and anxious thoughts into the audience's heads. 10/10 plot device so far.

In hindsight it should've been more obvious Chiaki was based on a real person in some way. Alter Ego didn't have its own made up personality, it took after Chihiro and went from there, Chiaki's personality had to come from somewhere.

Can't wait until it's revealed Boxer is somehow responsible for Junko falling into despair.

Permanently A

This is truth. His appearance in Ultra Despair Girls let me down. Can't get snubbed here at the finish line.

The only hint I can remember is Chiaki saying "Its true... my profile really is in here" when she and Hajime are looking at their Hope's Peak profiles. Being an AI, her profile shouldn't have been in there.

Thanks guys. So I guess that means AI Chiaki was created after Chihiro came to Hope's Peak and somehow Future Foundation/Makoto got a hold of her and re-purposed her for the Neo World Program. On paper, it seems a little needless wish-fulfillment for the audience that Chiaki is a real person that we get to see more of, but she's actually been a good edition to the story so I'm okay with this.

I wonder if human Chiaki is actually an ultimate despair...! Is this possible?

DNAbro

Boxer cunt needs to get some self awareness, talking about the place being rotten when he's directly contributing to it, good lord no wonder the reserve students rebelled

Years later he is still an awful person with no awareness along with Yu Narukami looking ass. They are made for each other with how stupid and idiotic they are.

I'm hoping they somehow get redeemed because their motivations are so beyond stupid and any sane person sees how counter-intuitive they are. Boxer literally has no redeeming qualities so far. At least Munakata has some type of logic driving him.

h0tp0ck3t

In hindsight it should've been more obvious Chiaki was based on a real person in some way. Alter Ego didn't have its own made up personality, it took after Chihiro and went from there, Chiaki's personality had to come from somewhere.

I'm wondering now if maybe it's going to be something along the lines of Chihiro becoming infatuated with her and maybe because he's to afraid/ashamed to talk to her because of his situation he models his AI after her

Man, Despair is going to absolutely destroy me by the end of it.

I have hope that the boxer dude might not be so bad after all...wait...

Munkata is totally dying next episode of Future isn't he.

UberTag

Years later he is still an awful person with no awareness along with Yu Narukami looking ass. They are made for each other with how stupid and idiotic they are.

I'm hoping they somehow get redeemed because their motivations are so beyond stupid and any sane person sees how counter-intuitive they are. Boxer literally has no redeeming qualities so far. At least Munakata has some type of logic driving him.
Any sane person, eh? Because the only person who seems down with Kyosuke and Juzo and what they bring to the table in either arc is Chisa. If there's a redemption arc for either of them it'll be filtered through her eyes - she's the Despair arc protag for a reason.

Or perhaps she's "just nuts / has an evil twin / is another relative of Junko / is the Future arc mastermind" and is forcibly driving despair along its path by allowing these two elements of chaos to persist on the side of hope while failing to co-exist with the others like oil and water.

Thanks guys. So I guess that means AI Chiaki was created after Chihiro came to Hope's Peak and somehow Future Foundation/Makoto got a hold of her and re-purposed her for the Neo World Program. On paper, it seems a little needless wish-fulfillment for the audience that Chiaki is a real person that we get to see more of, but she's actually been a good edition to the story so I'm okay with this.

I wonder if human Chiaki is actually an ultimate despair...! Is this possible?
Possible but doubtful. Chihiro took the time to build his Alter Ego predecessor?/successor? around her while Makoto took the time to include her in the Neo World Program simulation. Both of them took that initiative because of what Chiaki represented for the others and because they believed that losing her was the catalyst for succumbing to despair. It's possible she was the first to fall into despair - but if she's not, I have to suspect she never does and was preserved as an example for the others that they didn't need to go down that path. And that decision ultimately paid off.

the longer they go without following up on the theater scene with chisa in despair-1, the more i'm feeling it's not just stylistic. feels like the kind of thing they want the audience to forget about, only to pull back out for a twist later. of course, there's already plenty suspicious about chisa anyways, lol. but the theater scene just came back to mind for me, for some reason.

i do kinda have to agree it feels like they went over the murders pretty quickly. or at least, things seemed to reach a breaking point quite fast lol. would've liked to see a bit more buildup to it, or more of how the tonal shift it caused affects everyone else, but eh. this was very much a hajime episode, and i'm sure they'll come back to it when it comes time for everyone else to fall into despair.

FStubbs

Can't wait until it's revealed Boxer is somehow responsible for Junko falling into despair.

Now that I think about it, it also made sense why Chiaki had a student file along with the others.

EDIT: But yeah. It's a shame Hajime had it all but gave it up because Juzo was a jerk to him.

DNAbro

Any sane person, eh? Because the only person who seems down with Kyosuke and Juzo and what they bring to the table in either arc is Chisa. If there's a redemption arc for either of them it'll be filtered through her eyes - she's the Despair arc protag for a reason.

Or perhaps she's "just nuts / has an evil twin / is another relative of Junko / is the Future arc mastermind" and is forcibly driving despair along its path by allowing these two elements of chaos to persist on the side of hope while failing to co-exist with the others like oil and water.

Possible but doubtful. Chihiro took the time to build his Alter Ego predecessor?/successor? around her while Makoto took the time to include her in the Neo World Program simulation. Both of them took that initiative because of what Chiaki represented for the others and because they believed that losing her was the catalyst for succumbing to despair. It's possible she was the first to fall into despair - but if she's not, I have to suspect she never does and was preserved as an example for the others that they didn't need to go down that path. And that decision ultimately paid off.

Juzo would have to be redeemed in Future, not Despair. I can't see how anything that happens in Despair that would excuse his actions. Chisa obviously believes in them but she also seemed to have been the thing that kept them in check.

UberTag

the longer they go without following up on the theater scene with chisa in despair-1, the more i'm feeling it's not just stylistic. feels like the kind of thing they want the audience to forget about, only to pull back out for a twist later. of course, there's already plenty suspicious about chisa anyways, lol. but the theater scene just came back to mind for me, for some reason.
Both the theater scene and the persistent grayed out Chisa silhouette in the Despair arc opening are there for a reason. It either has great significance or is the ultimate red herring. But subtle red herrings aren't what this series is known for. Usually we get the opposite with red herring antagonists that are blunt and in your face like Genocide Jack, Nagito and Juzo.

That tells me it is no red herring.

Incidentally... is it just me or does the "stylistic" theater she's happily munching popcorn in while scoping out her own "death" seem awfully reminiscent of the movie theater on Jabberwock Island? I mean, if not for the Monokuma trimmings (which only existed in the AI simulation of the island once the Neo World Program was corrupted) and the state of dilapidation, I'd swear they were identical or at least pretty damn close.

Movie%20Theater%201.png

Movie%20Theater%202.png

Movie%20Theater%203.png

i do kinda have to agree it feels like they went over the murders pretty quickly. or at least, things seemed to reach a breaking point quite fast lol. would've liked to see a bit more buildup to it, or more of how the tonal shift it caused affects everyone else, but eh. this was very much a hajime episode, and i'm sure they'll come back to it when it comes time for everyone else to fall into despair.

I like that they didn't go over the murder since we already got it in DR2, however I would've liked more stuff from big bro and Peko's perspective.

Good episode. I was actually a bit surprised at how quickly they covered the murders and the events that led up to them. Despite the fast pacing, they did a good job with things. In particular I liked how they developed both Sato and Natsumi, and how Natsumi ended up playing a role in Hajime's decision.

Yep. The boxer and Yu are both total fucking assholes with hair-trigger tempers. Sure Juuzo was playing it up, but beating Hajime up and spitting on him? Fuck off.

Juzo's idiocy is basically the tipping point leading to the whole world getting fucked up in the DR timeline. I hope he ends up being the traitor in the future arc as well. It'd probably work well with Munakata, who seems to only trust Juzo as well

Luigi87

Juzo's idiocy is basically the tipping point leading to the whole world getting fucked up in the DR timeline. I hope he ends up being the traitor in the future arc as well. It'd probably work well with Munakata, who seems to only trust Juzo as well

I'm just hoping if the "deaths" in the Future OP are hints, it means Munakata will be cutting down Juzo at a point.

UberTag

I need fanfiction where Chiaki and Hinata end up happy at school without Hinata going all Izuru and then when Junko shows up she just inexplicably explodes and everyone lives happy lives.

Also english cast list http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016...ter&utm_content=english-cast&utm_nooverride=1
That's a good group. They retained the entire DR1 anime cast. They cast Colleen Clinkenbeard as Chisa (which is awesome). They brought Erin Fitzgerald in to voice Seiko (which means she can be ported over to voice anime Junko as needed). They kept most of the DR2 game cast with the exception of casting Aaron Dismuke to voice Fuyuhiko, Brina Palencia to voice Ibuki (Brina is awesome in everything and a good voice match to Julie Ann Taylor), Morgan Garrett to voice Akane, Clarine Harp to voice Peko (this casting is perfect) and Scott Frerichs to voice Gundham. They have Chris Bevins handling the direction - and he's rock solid.

I've got to say... this should be a stellar dub and I was apprehensive about it when I heard about its release timing.

Mostly it feels a little too easy to push this onto Juzo and Natsumi when Hinata's conflicted, yes, but still a human being capable of deciding for himself what he wants to do. They're both clearly negative influences but opposition occurs no matter what path in life you walk. Hinata simply isn't strong enough to believe in himself despite all the positive talks he gets about what he can do and accomplish and enjoy. That's regrettable both for the immediate story and how things eventually turn out but he's the one choosing where to point his feet. Chiaki, Chisa, and Tengan aren't merely dribbling out platitudes. They're genuine words of support that a teenager is choosing to ignore in order to reinforce his own negativity.

Natsumi's anguish over falling behind her brother was rattling and I thought it was excellent. So far as shaking someone's convictions I feel like her words were much more effective in getting Hinata to decide that he needs talent to get what he wants. Juzo's words simply reinforced that by illustrating the idea that without talent Hinata won't be able to be anything of real note. Really though the true solution in hindsight would have been for Juzo to let Hinata get killed. Would've snuffed out a lot of troubles down the road but that's not super interesting.

Juzo did nothing wrong

Oh I'm not pushing it all on Juzo. He was merely the catalyst that had Hajime take action. Yes Hajime is very insecure. Maybe I missed it but there seems to be outside influence (maybe his parents) pushing him to be this special talented individual and he feels like hes failed and he carries that weight on his shoulders with him. As human beings bad events tend to have a tremendous impact on our lives in some cases more so then good events. Being paid a compliment may make our day. Being insulted may ruin our week and so on. Its just how some people are. Lets be honest, most of us if we were treated like shit we'd want to get even. Hajime's willingness to undergo the experiment is his attempt to get even and show people that a nobody can become somebody. Of course I'm sure he couldn't have predicted what would have happened. Its actually a pretty common tale. Person improves themselves to give a finger to the people who put them down. Except most of the time they don't turn into a homicidal maniac in the process.

Oh I'm not pushing it all on Juzo. He was merely the catalyst that had Hajime take action. Yes Hajime is very insecure. Maybe I missed it but there seems to be outside influence (maybe his parents) pushing him to be this special talented individual and he feels like hes failed and he carries that weight on his shoulders with him. As human beings bad events tend to have a tremendous impact on our lives in some cases more so then good events. Being paid a compliment may make our day. Being insulted may ruin our week and so on. Its just how some people are. Lets be honest, most of us if we were treated like shit we'd want to get even. Hajime's willingness to undergo the experiment is his attempt to get even and show people that a nobody can become somebody. Of course I'm sure he couldn't have predicted what would have happened. Its actually a pretty common tale. Person improves themselves to give a finger to the people who put them down. Except most of the time they don't turn into a homicidal maniac in the process.

So far as I understand, at this point, all we know about Hajime's motivation is that his family is breaking the bank to put him into the Reserve Course and he seems to be trying to justify their investment. He wants this to become an opportunity and not simply a learning experience. So when people tell him to chill and enjoy what he has in his hands he seems to struggle to accept that.

I get the desire to get even and prove an idea of self worth but he had, standing before him, an opportunity to prove Natsumi wrong by being with Chiaki and an opportunity to prove Juzo wrong by, well, being with Chiaki. Who knows if they'd get along a year down the road but she's literal proof that someone without a comparable skill level can absolutely keep up with a Talented person. Heck, Chiaki's gaming montage the previous episode is 100% about this. Only Chiaki is the ultimate Gamer but everyone plays along and has a good time and bonds. It doesn't matter that Ibuki sucks at Mario Kart, it's all about sharing an experience and having a good time. This is what Chiaki tries to offer Hajime, the answer to his doubts and questions, the proof that his detractors are wrong. And he biffs it.

Hajime: "Ugh I wish I had talent so I could prove to my parents and everyone how great I can be."
Chiaki: "Naw man you're cool already, let's hang out."
Hajime: "I was feeling that but then some mean people got me down, I think I need to undergo experimental surgery to take a step beyond myself."
Chiaki: "Are you sure? I'm really going out of my way to let you know I think you're special."
Hajime: "Yeah I'm sure. Sorry."
Chiaki: "buh"

jonjonaug

So far the main thrust of both sides of DR3 seems to be "Sakakura ruins everything".

So far as I understand, at this point, all we know about Hajime's motivation is that his family is breaking the bank to put him into the Reserve Course and he seems to be trying to justify their investment. He wants this to become an opportunity and not simply a learning experience. So when people tell him to chill and enjoy what he has in his hands he seems to struggle to accept that.

I get the desire to get even and prove an idea of self worth but he had, standing before him, an opportunity to prove Natsumi wrong by being with Chiaki and an opportunity to prove Juzo wrong by, well, being with Chiaki. Who knows if they'd get along a year down the road but she's literal proof that someone without a comparable skill level can absolutely keep up with a Talented person. Heck, Chiaki's gaming montage the previous episode is 100% about this. Only Chiaki is the ultimate Gamer but everyone plays along and has a good time and bonds. It doesn't matter that Ibuki sucks at Mario Kart, it's all about sharing an experience and having a good time. This is what Chiaki tries to offer Hajime, the answer to his doubts and questions, the proof that his detractors are wrong. And he biffs it.

Hajime: "Ugh I wish I had talent so I could prove to my parents and everyone how great I can be."
Hajime: "I was feeling that but then some mean people got me down, I think I need to undergo experimental surgery to take a step beyond myself."
Chiaki: "Are you sure? I'm really going out of my way to let you know I think you're special."

Yeah, it's good tragedy since this isn't some inevitable "it can't be helped" thing.

PK Gaming

It's too much. I actually wish she wasn't such a large presence in his life at school.

Like, DR2 paints a very clear picture of Hajime's experience at school. He was completely alone, surrounded by people who basically despised him and what he represented (some punk for who payed his way into Hopes Peak, which has now been retconned)

latest

But now he has a literal ray of sunshine in the form of Chiaki. While it's legitimate enjoyable to watch them being cute, it absolutely takes away from Hajime's character as a whole which is no bueno.

DNAbro

It's too much. I actually wish she wasn't such a large presence in his life at school.

Like, DR2 paints a very clear picture of Hajime's experience at school. He was completely alone, surrounded by people who basically despised him and what he represented (some punk for who payed his way into Hopes Peak, which has now been retconned)

latest

But now he has a literal ray of sunshine in the form of Chiaki. While it's legitimate enjoyable to watch them being cute, it absolutely takes away from Hajime's character as a whole which is no bueno.

I don't see how at all it retcons his character. Those people who despised him were not in Hope's Peak but from whatever school he came from. All the people in the Reserve Course just paid for it.

Except no ones saying Hajime is right but that we can see where hes coming from. If people were happy with what they had we wouldn't screw up their situation by wanting more. Adults struggle with that let alone teenagers who haven't learned that lesson yet. Yes Hajime probably would of been very happy being "average" with Chiaki and possibly gone on to live happily ever after. It looks like it may be a lesson he learns the hard way.

PK Gaming

I don't see how at all it retcons his character. Those people who despised him were not in Hope's Peak but from whatever school he came from. All the people in the Reserve Course just paid for it.

I never said his entire character retconned. Just the fact that he paid his way into the school was retconned in the last episode, since he outright claims he can't afford it (which isn't the case in the game).

Anyway, I misremembered what that image was used for, but my point still stands. The game did an excellent job conveying what it felt like to be talentless in a sea of geniuses. You could 100% empathize with Hajime's feelings in the game. There was no shining light or a cartoonish bully to influence his decisions. All he had was the crushing realization that he'd never be special like the people/school he admired.

The anime doesn't do a good enough job of conveying that feeling.

Except no ones saying Hajime is right but that we can see where hes coming from. If people were happy with what they had we wouldn't screw up their situation by wanting more. Adults struggle with that let alone teenagers who haven't learned that lesson yet. Yes Hajime probably would of been very happy being "average" with Chiaki and possibly gone on to live happily ever after. But...

I think I'm mostly reacting to the way it seems a number of fans all over the place (some here, yes, and many more in other places) are quick to push blame on to characters they don't like. There's plenty of disappointment in Hajime, yes, but there's a lot more anger with Juzo. There's a lot of pulling back from Sato and a lot of accompanied sympathy for Natsumi.

It's the last two characters that I think are more interesting to compare, really. Sato is largely being seen as the aggressor (understandable, especially given the fact that she commits murder) and Natsumi as a troubled victim. Natsumi receiving the characterization she did in the short time she was allotted was spectacular and an easy highlight of the series to this point.

That doesn't change the fact that she's a gangster, in tight with her brother who is set to inherit leadership of an organization that numbers in the thousands, apparently scarred Sato in the past (did I misunderstand this scene? I believe that's what was implied), has beef with Mahiru, and pursued Mahiru across the country at great expense specifically to destroy her standing at Hope's Peak, get her expelled or possibly worse, and usurp her rightful place in class.

Natsumi is a horrid person. She's evidently very willing to hurt people to get what she wants. But she's also a surprisingly sympathetic person given the motivations for her desires. It's not a super deep motivation but it's very understandable.

Sato committed an atrocious act to protect her friend but from her point of view an enemy with a lot of dangerous tendencies and potential has openly, brazenly admitted that she's going to harm her best friend and derail Mahiru's life for the opportunity to open up a spot for someone to get called up even though Natsumi has no scouted talent. Natsumi is trying to ruin a girl for a spot at Hope's Peak that will never actually go to her. Mahiru will be ruined and her attacker won't actually gain anything from it. So Sato does a deplorable thing to prevent this from happening.

I think that makes Sato a kind of sympathetic. More understandable than Natsumi when taken as a whole. Natsumi wants to do an awful thing even though it will gain her nothing. Sato successfully does an awful thing to prevent that from happening. It's ugly. It's tragic. It works as a story. I like this series.

But Juzo punched and spit on Hajime to try to permanently dissuade him from investigating something that'll get him killed. BURN HIM! BURN THE WITCH!

I never said his entire character retconned. Just the fact that he paid his way into the school was retconned in the last episode, since he outright claims he can't afford it (which isn't the case in the game).

Anyway, I misremembered what that image was used for, but my point still stands. The game did an excellent job conveying what it felt like to be talentless in a sea of geniuses. You could 100% empathize with Hajime's feelings in the game. There was no shining light or a cartoonish bully to influence his decisions. All he had was the crushing realization that he'd never be special like the people/school he admired.

I think providing opposing characters trying to lift up Hajime in his haze or push him down into giving up makes the dynamic more real and interesting. Simply reading in a game "it was hard, yo" doesn't do the same for me. It functioned in the game as a game scene but the anime took the opportunity to expand on that while weaving the story facet into a greater set of circumstances.

Drago

I need fanfiction where Chiaki and Hinata end up happy at school without Hinata going all Izuru and then when Junko shows up she just inexplicably explodes and everyone lives happy lives.

Also english cast list http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016...ter&utm_content=english-cast&utm_nooverride=1

Wow they got 10 out of 15 for the DR2 characters (Imposter needed a new VA anyway), that's way way better than I ever anticipated. I'm actually looking forward to the dubs now!

Pretty weird they have Kaiji Tang back but not as Yasuhiro though, I guess they want consistency with their DR1 dub :/

there's no retcon, he did pay his way in, his parents broke the bank but now they're running out of money. DR2 omitted that he was running out of money but that detail doesn't really matter, the point is he was still one of those people who had to buy his way in.

and I disagree that the show doesn't do a good job, showing that he did have people trying to lift him up makes it all the more tragic,the guy has severe deep seated self esteem issues and the segregrated environment of Hope's Peak just makes it worse. Juzo's role here was to act as a surrogate for the rest of the world and confirm what Hinata himself already believed, that he's trash and doesn't deserve to be on equal terms with those who have real talent. I like to shit on Boxer cause its really fun but even he wasn't just some cartoonish bully, in his head he had to act as harshly as possible to dissuade some dumb kid from getting himself killed, he knows it was wrong but its better the kid goes into deep depression than dying, he has bigger fish to fry in the meantime and there's no time to spare.

UberTag

Wow they got 10 out of 15 for the DR2 characters (Imposter needed a new VA anyway), that's way way better than I ever anticipated. I'm actually looking forward to the dubs now!

Pretty weird they have Kaiji Tang back but not as Yasuhiro though, I guess they want consistency with their DR1 dub :/
That seemed to be at the forefront of their decision making - which is understandable. That and Chris Bevins was retained as director and has an attachment to voicing Yasuhiro as well. If anything, Kaiji gets more dialogue this way and it's a nice gesture on FUNi's part given that they never contacted him to voice Hiro when dubbing the DR1 anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom