• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich!

So what is the importance of the girl at the end? I've only played the two mainline games.

Is the spin off game worth playing?

Oh deary me. Yes, that's Monaca. Junko's successor, raised essentially as part of a ploy by Nagito to bring hope.

Yes, it's significantly important - it's gonna weigh heavily on DR3 now I bet.

I also wouldn't call it a spin-off at all really - it's another chapter in the story between DR1 and DR2.

Related:
5pu9cDC.png

Oh yeah so

Nagito was behind Monaca right? At least that's the impression I got from his final scenes in DR: Another Episode/ultra despair girls

latest

Soooo convinced he's behind the DR3 future killing game now. A stepping stone to true hope!

eWZJcqw.jpg

I think he knows what Monaca is doing, and maybe even set her down this path. I don't think he'd do Munakata's suggestion of the plan though, even his ultimate despair form believes his despair will bring about an even greater hope. Despair disguised as hope would be out of character for him, imo.

Chase17

Oh deary me. Yes, that's Monaca. Junko's successor, raised essentially as part of a ploy by Nagito to bring hope.

I also wouldn't call it a spin-off at all really - it's another chapter in the story between DR1 and DR2.

Related:
5pu9cDC.png

Thanks! So all that I really need to know is that she is like Junko. Also any Nagito involvement sounds good enough to me.

Monoca idolizes Junko. She wanted Komaru Naegi (Makoto's sister) to become the new Junko because having the symbol of Hope's sister become the new ultimate Despair would be more despair inducing then Monoca herself becoming the new Junko but she fucked up.

Rich!

Thanks! So all that I really need to know is that she is like Junko. Also any Nagito involvement sounds good enough to me.

Play UDG!

You can buy both the game and a PSTV for about £30 or equivalent nowadays and sell them on after and make most of it back

I think reading her Wiki page should tell you all you need to know and at least some more backstory. If you have the time that is, if not, what you have been told might be enough :D

So what is the importance of the girl at the end? I've only played the two mainline games.

Edit: Is the spin off game worth playing? Maybe still some time hmm

UDG is a spin-off only in the sense that the gameplay changed, as far as story goes, it's a mainline game

I think he knows what Monaca is doing, and maybe even set her down this path. I don't think he'd do Munakata's suggestion of the plan though, even his ultimate despair form believes his despair will bring about an even greater hope. Despair disguised as hope would be out of character for him, imo.
yep. not nagito's style at all. only way he'd go along with it is if he intended to out the actual traitor after the mutual killing game.

the most nagito will be involved with this is he's the one who suggested to Monaca that she become the second Junko rather than try to create a second one.

Related:
5pu9cDC.png

Oh my, didn't realise they were hinting at it like that, regardless will buy it on steam to support the devs if it is coming.
Wonder whether Monaca is the mastermind or just the traitor, really looking forward to the next episodes these two series broke my expectations easily.

FluxWaveZ

Well, the thing is that Monaca actually isn't like Junko. She's a fangirl of hers, but she has some key differences and was basically just another of Junko's tools.

Chase17

Thanks to those who have responded! Looks like I shouldn't have passed over UDG then. Gameplay looked unappealing to me but I should probably go through it for story purposes.

HLTB has the game listed as 18 hours long. Does that sound accurate to anyone who has played it here. Website is sometimes off for less popular games.

HLTB has the game listed as 18 hours long. Does that sound accurate to anyone who has played it here. Website is sometimes off for less popular games.

Its a little less then that. If you go completionist then maybe. There's a lot of extra dialogue you can find (which I recommend you do) and collectibles and also challenges (which I recommend you do not do)

Rich!

Thanks to those who have responded! Looks like I shouldn't have passed over UDG then. Gameplay looked unappealing to me but I should probably go through it for story purposes.

Accurate. Took me a whole weekend. I enjoyed it, and after trading it in it only cost me £4.

Anime scenes and the genocide jack slasher gameplay were amazing. It's not a great game though, just a good (and very fucking disturbing) experience.

And yes, it's really really fucked up. The story and scenes are fucked up even by the worst danganronpa standards.

Puruzi

Banned
Consider the fact that there has to be a real Miaya around because she was said to help make the Neo World Program

or Monaca killed her before this started

Maebe

Oh yeah so

Nagito was behind Monaca right? At least that's the impression I got from his final scenes in DR: Another Episode/ultra despair girls

latest

Soooo convinced he's behind the DR3 future killing game now. A stepping stone to true hope!

eWZJcqw.jpg

iirc he admit in Despair Girls he orchestrated most of that game in order to cultivate Komaru's talent and because he was upset he missed Junko's fall. Then he raised Monaca as Junko 2, but since he loves/hates Junko he'd probably want to have a hand in her death or see it happen.

Rich!

iirc he admit in Despair Girls he orchestrated most of that game in order to cultivate Komaru's talent and because he was upset he missed Junko's fall. Then he raised Monaca as Junko 2, but since he loves/hates Junko he'd probably want to have a hand in her death or see it happen.

either way

this thread title is now accurate

large.jpg

and damn, I forgot how good this scene was:
AODzL9Jl.png

He wants to create the most powerful despair so that he could destroy it with an even greater hope; what's more powerful than despair that to the naked eye does not exist?

But yeah, I definitely am of a mind that Nagito is doing something in this series. It just doesn't seem right to have the possibility that Monaca could be killed by someone else. With all that said, my prediction:

Haiji is trying to get into the building using the helicopter because he wants to kill Monaca and end despair; and whether or not Nagito is present in the future arc, I fully expect that Monaca will not die. In fact, she will be convinced by Makoto to become filled with hope. This makes tons of sense from a storytelling perspective - Danganronpa 1 ended not with Junko realizing the value of hope (though Makoto certainly tried, and didn't want her to die), but her dying in the name of despair, which probably only spurred those filled with despair into greater action. So really, the best way to create a definitive ending to Hope, Despair, and Future is to have the person who is filled with more despair than anyone to say "fuck off" to despair.

And then the climax can be Monaca hugging her pedophile brother.

Consider the fact that there has to be a real Miaya around because she was said to help make the Neo World Program

or Monaca killed her before this started

Maybe the Neo World Program was created by Robo!Monaca, potentially creating a back door for the Remnants of Despair to exploit.

But man now her design makes so much sense; she wears the scarf to disguise the fact her face doesn't move (or moves uncanny Valley like)

Rich!

Maybe the Neo World Program was created by Robo!Monaca, potentially creating a back door for the Remnants of Despair to exploit.

But man now her design makes so much sense; she wears the scarf to disguise the fact her face doesn't move (or moves uncanny Valley like)

and also...

YT6mi4Tl.png

expert dodge there

T-Rex.

Banned

Sounds about right. I completed it a few weeks back and clocked in around 20 hours, but I also tried finding all the collectibles initially before getting bored. The gameplay isn't great, but the story's pretty good.

I hope the anime brings back Kotoko back as well, her scenes with Monaca near the end were hilarious.

Apparently, it says that she is entering in place of the Ultimate Therapist - so the role of mastermind is still in the air. And considering her concept art, I say she became crippled for real (to the surprise of no one who saw the ending of DRAE).

Unless Matsuda and Chihiro got hit by the idiot ball while developing the New World Program, I believe they would have noticed if they were working with a robot. So probably the real Miaya was killed after that and then Monaca impersonated her within the Future Foundation. Personally, I think she may appear in this week Despair episode.

He wants to create the most powerful despair so that he could destroy it with an even greater hope; what's more powerful than despair that to the naked eye does not exist?

But yeah, I definitely am of a mind that Nagito is doing something in this series. It just doesn't seem right to have the possibility that Monaca could be killed by someone else. With all that said, my prediction:

Haiji is trying to get into the building using the helicopter because he wants to kill Monaca and end despair; and whether or not Nagito is present in the future arc, I fully expect that Monaca will not die. In fact, she will be convinced by Makoto to become filled with hope. This makes tons of sense from a storytelling perspective - Danganronpa 1 ended not with Junko realizing the value of hope (though Makoto certainly tried, and didn't want her to die), but her dying in the name of despair, which probably only spurred those filled with despair into greater action. So really, the best way to create a definitive ending to Hope, Despair, and Future is to have the person who is filled with more despair than anyone to say "fuck off" to despair.

And then the climax can be Monaca hugging her pedophile brother.

My issue with the reasoning for Nagito is how can you fight despair if you don't even recognize it for what it is.

I wonder what Ruruka, Izayoi, and Seiko did to get expelled. I mean the school will literally let students get away murder and help cover it up.

UberTag

Yeah, Miaya became more suspicious when she turned the wheelchair to the right to help Naegi escape.
Which begs the obvious question... what is Miaya's forbidden action? Unless, of course, you're assuming she's the mastermind and doesn't have one. I don't buy that. My bet is that it's "revealing she's a robot".

Demoli

I wonder if the latest reveal explains the participant number inconsistency.

Since Monokuma confirmed that Hagakure is technicly part of the game even though he's outside, it maybe mean that Monaca is also part of the game, and there is no other secret participant.

I onder if they'll keep Tengan alive for one more episode, or if he'll give a secret speech to Persona or something.

Thud

I wonder what Ruruka, Izayoi, and Ruruka did to get expelled. I mean the school will literally let students get away murder and help cover it up.

Killing a student with talent or a teacher would probably do that. Surprised FF recruited them. Were they part of Munakata's class?

Since Monokuma confirmed that Hagakure is technicly part of the game even though he's outside, it maybe mean that Monaca is also part of the game, and there is no other secret participant.

I onder if they'll keep Tengan alive for one more episode, or if he'll give a secret speech to Persona or something.

No, he said twelve people remain, not the thirteen the counter shows.

The_Kid

Man, this series is entering Kingdom Hearts level of dialogue with its discussions of hope and despair

I like Kingdom Hearts :s

That episode was great. Tengan was badass. Sad he has to go now, although at least he goes out hopefully helping Kyosuke go toward some redemption.

Miaya turning out to be Monaca wasn't a huge shock, in fact I was sort of thinking she would be. Only reason I had some reservations about it was because it seemed a little too obvious. Even if she wasn't, they've been throwing shade on her since episode 2 (basically her first substantial appearance), so it makes sense that the Miaya we're seeing here is a robot/evil. Monaca's reveal at this point makes me think she's a mastermind rather than the mastermind.

Surprised FF recruited them. Were they part of Munakata's class?

They aren't in the same class as Kyosuke, I believe they're younger. The fact that the FF took them in shows how desperate they were for notable people who could inspire hope with their talents. Plus, during the apocalypse I'd take any help I could get... Especially when they can create medicine and weapons.

UberTag

I wonder if the latest reveal explains the participant number inconsistency.
Doubtful. Monaca may be controlling Miaya (voiced by Monomi) from somewhere inside the facility but they're still collectively ONE individual with one intelligence.

Think of her as a Russian matryoshka nesting doll.

4-800x450.jpg

I believe the discrepancy in numbers lies elsewhere.

Burbeting

Banned
Man, this series is entering Kingdom Hearts level of dialogue with its discussions of hope and despair

I like Kingdom Hearts :s

This is my problem with this series lately as well. They keep repeating hope and despair so often, that the terminology is starting to become muddled and the words are losing their original meaning. Just like in Kingdom Hearts.

Doubtful. Monaca may be controlling Miaya (voiced by Monomi) from somewhere inside the facility but they're still collectively ONE individual with one intelligence.

I believe the discrepancy in numbers lies elsewhere.

I'd also point out that between the "two" of them they have one bracelet. I do think there's another person we haven't seen yet in the game, but when they appear I believe they'll be wearing the sixteenth bracelet.

(Mirai-hen EP4 SPOILERS)

In the Monokuma Theater, Monokuma appears to be wearing a bracelet. Foreshadowing that the mastermind is among the captives?

By the way, UDG is mostly shit (save for some good scenes with Komaeda about 3/4 through, chapter 3 or 4's end (forgot which), and some utterly gross stuff which is welcome), best to look up a summary or LP. At least the main menu track is decent. CH1 and CH2 are easily the worst part of any Danganronpa (1-2-AE).

Loved the Miaya reveal. The despair of the new best girl (alongside Ruruka tbh) being Monaca's robot is despairing, upupu.

Hope they kill off at least one of the four DR1 survivors present, also I need me some Togami god damn it.

Tengan was a nice chap. Riposa in pace.

Also Mitarai is really relatable. <3

UberTag

With Tengan a likely goner before the next blackout period, I'm somewhat at a loss as to who the next victim will wind up being.

I wonder if Hina murder fakeouts will become a recurring theme until the one time when Naegi wakes up and she's ACTUALLY dead this time.
Hell, let's make Hina the mastermind because she's literally the last person anyone watching would suspect (after Hiro).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom