• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

I think providing opposing characters trying to lift up Hajime in his haze or push him down into giving up makes the dynamic more real and interesting. Simply reading in a game "it was hard, yo" doesn't do the same for me. It functioned in the game as a game scene but the anime took the opportunity to expand on that while weaving the story facet into a greater set of circumstances.

How is Chiaki literally being the most perfect (girl) friend ever conceived, someone who likes him unconditionally and is always trying to expound amazing life changing advice to him, even remotely real or relatable? Same with Juzo with his comedically douchey beatdown. He's even worse. His acerbic behavior isn't even close to being a good enough impetus for his decision to become the Ultimate Hope.

"Go back home normy!"

There's no build up or nuance. He literally spits on him. And then Hajime makes a snap decision after that experience, and it's jarring.

"It was hard yo"

Is a super reductive thing to say. You could literally apply that to any story dealing with internal conflict and make it sound bad.

I think I'm mostly reacting to the way it seems a number of fans all over the place (some here, yes, and many more in other places) are quick to push blame on to characters they don't like. There's plenty of disappointment in Hajime, yes, but there's a lot more anger with Juzo. There's a lot of pulling back from Sato and a lot of accompanied sympathy for Natsumi.

It's the last two characters that I think are more interesting to compare, really. Sato is largely being seen as the aggressor (understandable, especially given the fact that she commits murder) and Natsumi as a troubled victim. Natsumi receiving the characterization she did in the short time she was allotted was spectacular and an easy highlight of the series to this point.

That doesn't change the fact that she's a gangster, in tight with her brother who is set to inherit leadership of an organization that numbers in the thousands, apparently scarred Sato in the past (did I misunderstand this scene? I believe that's what was implied), has beef with Mahiru, and pursued Mahiru across the country at great expense specifically to destroy her standing at Hope's Peak, get her expelled or possibly worse, and usurp her rightful place in class.

Natsumi is a horrid person. She's evidently very willing to hurt people to get what she wants. But she's also a surprisingly sympathetic person given the motivations for her desires. It's not a super deep motivation but it's very understandable.

Sato committed an atrocious act to protect her friend but from her point of view an enemy with a lot of dangerous tendencies and potential has openly, brazenly admitted that she's going to harm her best friend and derail Mahiru's life for the opportunity to open up a spot for someone to get called up even though Natsumi has no scouted talent. Natsumi is trying to ruin a girl for a spot at Hope's Peak that will never actually go to her. Mahiru will be ruined and her attacker won't actually gain anything from it. So Sato does a deplorable thing to prevent this from happening.

I think that makes Sato a kind of sympathetic. More understandable than Natsumi when taken as a whole. Natsumi wants to do an awful thing even though it will gain her nothing. Sato successfully does an awful thing to prevent that from happening. It's ugly. It's tragic. It works as a story. I like this series.

But Juzo punched and spit on Hajime to try to permanently dissuade him from investigating something that'll get him killed. BURN HIM! BURN THE WITCH!

I think providing opposing characters trying to lift up Hajime in his haze or push him down into giving up makes the dynamic more real and interesting. Simply reading in a game "it was hard, yo" doesn't do the same for me. It functioned in the game as a game scene but the anime took the opportunity to expand on that while weaving the story facet into a greater set of circumstances.
Yes Natsumi is a terrible person but she has a background that makes her more sympathetic. Being sympathetic towards someone doesn't dismiss their actions however. And while Sato had good intentions she still murdered someone. Juzo has been shown to be unnecessarily aggressive just because. Maybe he has some tragic backstory or whatever but so far he is just a dick. Kick Hajime out? Fine. Call him trash and spit on him? Like what the hells your problem? "The road to hell is paved with good intentions". Yes Hajime is the one making the decision to go through with the experiement but lets not pretend Juzo's interaction with him did not have any impact on his choice.

FStubbs

But Juzo punched and spit on Hajime to try to permanently dissuade him from investigating something that'll get him killed. BURN HIM! BURN THE WITCH!

As has been pointed out before, suppose Juzo acted like a professional and said "Look, we're busy investigating right now but if you get involved you might get killed and we can't have that. Go home." without insulting him and then beating him up.

How is Chiaki literally being the most perfect (girl) friend ever conceived, someone who likes him unconditionally and is always trying to expound amazing life changing advice to him, even remotely real or relatable? Same with Juzo with his comedically douchey beatdown. He's even worse. His acerbic behavior isn't even close to being a good enough impetus for his decision to become the Ultimate Hope.

"Go back home normy!"

There's no build up or nuance. He just makes a snap decision after that experience, and it's jarring.

"It was hard yo"

Is a super reductive thing to say. You could literally apply that to any story dealing with internal conflict and make it sound bad.

I don't feel like Chiaki is perfect. Heck, in real life she's a kind of person I don't like hanging out with. She's shy, introverted, and has some confidence issues of her own. She seems to communicate via video games. She found someone in Hajime that knew a thing that she knew and immediately glommed on to him. That's understandable as an insecure teenager but I really don't feel like it makes her some perfect ray of sunshine. The way she tries to pep up Hajime is by, in a way, putting her own life and experiences down. At the start it's pretty much, "Dude you should be happy you're not trapped like me." It develops some after Chiaki gets happier with her spot in class but that's not the first impression she gave.

Really if there's a too perfect character right now it's Chisa. She's entertaining, though, so I don't mind it.

Juzo is awful to Hajime but he's trying to, in one meeting, make sure the kid doesn't keep poking into Natsumi's death. It's barely more subtle than a sheriff running the new guy out of town except the sheriff is trying to make sure the new guy doesn't get himself killed. It's over the top but he's trying to save a kid's life.

Hajime's decision is jarring if you only consider Juzo's scene. Combine it with Natsumi's scene and the Hinata family financial situation and it makes sense. Pressure to make something of his presence in the Reserve Course + being tearfully told that if you're not great you can't be with great people no matter how much you love them + that girl dying and soon after getting knocked around by a staff member in a way that seems to affirm your status as not great.

I think Hajime's an idiot for the choices he makes but I see how he gets there.

As for me being reductive I said it like that because that's the most impression I got from the game on the matter. Given how and when it's presented there's not a lot of time to develop the pathos of the situation. So I like that they're doing that in the show.

As has been pointed out before, suppose Juzo acted like a professional and said "Look, we're busy investigating right now but if you get involved you might get killed and we can't have that. Go home." without insulting him and then beating him up.

1. he's a fucking meathead idiot who's first instinct is violence as we see in Future arc, Narukami and Miss Waifu are probably the only things keeping this guy out of prison.

2. in his head calmly explaining probably wouldn't be enough and Hinata would just keep trying unless he made absolutely sure he gives up.

Yes Natsumi is a terrible person but she has a background that makes her more sympathetic. Being sympathetic towards someone doesn't dismiss their actions however. And while Sato had good intentions she still murdered someone. Juzo has been shown to be unnecessarily aggressive just because. Maybe he has some tragic backstory or whatever but so far he is just a dick. Kick Hajime out? Fine. Call him trash and spit on him? Like what the hells your problem?

I agree with pretty much all of this. I'll also admit that I'm leaning on Juzo's potential in addition to his character so far. Even if he dies I hope he gets expanded on a bit because I think that will make the plot flow more smoothly.

"Hope's Peak is a place you can get murdered for expressing suspicion over the cover up of two deaths."

That's not a great way to keep people calm and unquestioning.

Juzo is violent and too-willing to resort to his physical skill set to solve his problems. I don't deny this. There also aren't many elegant ways to keep Hajime safe in those circumstances. Assaulting him was not the right way to go but what would keep Hajime out when he's apparently not willing to back down?

DNAbro

I agree with pretty much all of this. I'll also admit that I'm leaning on Juzo's potential in addition to his character so far. Even if he dies I hope he gets expanded on a bit because I think that will make the plot flow more smoothly.

"Hope's Peak is a place you can get murdered for expressing suspicion over the cover up of two deaths."

That's not a great way to keep people calm and unquestioning.

Juzo is violent and too-willing to resort to his physical skill set to solve his problems. I don't deny this. There also aren't many elegant ways to keep Hajime safe in those circumstances. Assaulting him was not the right way to go but what would keep Hajime out when he's apparently not willing to back down?

"Hope's Peak is a place where the security will beat you up for even trying to talk to people on the main campus" isn't that great of a look either.

"Hope's Peak is a place where the security will beat you up for even trying to talk to people on the main campus" isn't that great of a look either.

Hajime didn't accept the company line of what happened with Natsumi and Sato. When he kept at it Juzo didn't try to reason and instead tried to intimidate because that's what he's good at.

It's regrettable but Juzo isn't good at that job. I believe he's only there to support Munakata and help him uncover what's going wrong at the school (as opposed to already being on the staff and getting recruited by an old friend. I believe this is what Jin's early lines about Munakata's faction imply). To effect that he's in a position he's not super suited for and that causes issues of its own.

Heck, things like this may even be a part of why he and Munakata believe proactive violence against despair is the way to go. They tried to subtly ferret out the problem, they're going to fail, and the world nearly falls as a consequence. So now in Future Arc they're long past screwing around and want to torch problems before they can spread.

Vamphuntr

This is boring me to tears so far. I was excited for the Future Arc and it's definitely the worst side. Nothing really happening except the Persona 4 look alike yelling about Hope and Despair for half the running time of each episode so far. It's like the worst part of the games' dialogue distilled into half of the show. There is no investigation or trial so the murder game is pretty boring. I don't even think Monokuma was in this one.

FluxWaveZ

This is boring me to tears so far. I was excited for the Future Arc and it's definitely the worst side. Nothing really happening except the Persona 4 look alike yelling about Hope and Despair for half the running time of each episode so far. It's like the worst part of the games' dialogue distilled into half of the show. There is no investigation or trial so the murder game is pretty boring. I don't even think Monokuma was in this one.

I think this series, for both the Future arc and the Despair arc (barring some reservations I have), have been amazing. Leaps and bounds better than anything I anticipated it would have turned out to be before they started airing.

After tons of crappy video-game-to-anime adaptations, it's refreshing to have one that isn't simply serviceable, but does a lot to expand the story of the source material.

I think this series, for both the Future arc and the Despair arc (barring some reservations I have), have been amazing. Leaps and bounds better than anything I anticipated it would have turned out to be before they started airing.

After tons of crappy video-game-to-anime adaptations, it's refreshing to have one that isn't simply serviceable, but does a lot to expand the story of the source material.

I agree. I like both halves so far but as great as it is to see DR2's cast in action for Despair side I like Future Side a bit more.

I think that the traitor is trying to stage a confrontation between Naegi and Munakata's factions over what constitutes effective hope. The traitor, I think, is favoring Munakata's faction for its dark destructiveness and as a result is stripping away peaceful hope's strong allies and calming factors.

Chisa dying let Munakata and Jozu off the leash. Bandai dying erased the most cheerful person. Gozu dying removed someone who believed in Naegi and was also very willing and capable of standing up to Munakata and Jozu physically.

If this angle is correct it makes me think Tengan might be the traitor to eliminate Naegi's more peaceful version of hope. Tengan helped oversee the mistakes that lead to the disaster and he doesn't want to give the opposition a way to wriggle out. Heck, Naegi's attempt at rehab almost directly lead to the resurrection of multiple copies of Junko getting unleashed on the world because the remnants of despair took advantage of Naegi's desire to help.

I also think it'd be amazing if Mitarai is the traitor and he intentionally put himself in harm's way to get Bandai killed by proxy.

I don't think the angle by itself can explain other potential deaths like Ruruka, Izayoi, and Seiko. It's just a thought.

e: I can also see Tengan dying soon to remove a respected voice capable of mediation. So, uh, I dunno what's gonna happen

UberTag

e: I can also see Tengan dying soon to remove a respected voice capable of mediation. So, uh, I dunno what's gonna happen
With no rest period in Future Episode 3, one has to presume one should follow during Episode 4.

For the moment, we can put the following people together...

Group A = Kyoko Kirigiri, Ryota Mitarai, Juzo Sakakura, Kazuo Tengan

We left off with Juzo demonstrating callous hostility towards Kirigiri. Being the largest of the groups, I would assume that Tengan is the most likely murder victim during the next naptime window as he's kind of on the periphery as these events are unfolding. And Ryota has plot armor due to the Imposter in Despair arc.

Group B = Makoto Naegi, Kyosuke Munakata

Almost guaranteed to be safe despite the confrontation at the end of the episode. These two are the crux for the opposing philosophies on instilling hope in the world. Perhaps zonking out beside Makoto and NOT getting offed by the traitor (and the game not ending) might convince Munakata to not be such a hostile bastard towards him.

Group C = Ruruka Ando, Sonosuke Izayoi, Seiko Kimura

The fact that it keeps coming up ENDLESSLY seems to indicate to me that Sonosuke's going to get offed by his "can't eat candy" forbidden action at some point soon. Logic tells me that Ruruka and Seiko stick around so they can be hostile towards each other once it happens.

Group D = Aoi Asahina, Miaya Gekkogahara

Don't trust Miaya one iota but they're not going back to this well so soon after the Hina fake-out and Gozu murder.

Off on His Own = Koichi Kizakura

Out looking to rendezvous with some mystery girl.

So yeah, I'm expecting Tengan to buy the farm pretty damn soon.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder if Monokuma is going to pull out some sort of rule along the lines of "You can't kill people directly during the day", and that's how Hajime will live. It would make the Bracelet thing more interesting at the very least.

Puruzi

Banned
I wonder if Monokuma is going to pull out some sort of rule along the lines of "You can't kill people directly during the day", and that's how Hajime will live. It would make the Bracelet thing more interesting at the very least.

Well you can kill people at any time. That's how you win. You try and kill the traitor and if nobody dies after everyone gets put to sleep, it means you got the right person and you win.

Well you can kill people at any ime. That's how you win. You try and kill the traitor and if nobody dies after everyone gets put to sleep, it means you got the right person and you win.

Well, they don't have to kill. The rule to win was that everyone survives one sleep period. If they followed Makoto's advice and incapacitated the traitor properly they could escape without having to kill the traitor.

Monokuma likely won't stop anybody from getting killed though, this is what he wants. Hope killing hope.

I love Juuzo. Which is funny, because Byakuya being an asshole made him one of my least favorite characters. Juuzo is just so irredeemably "ends justify the means" evil!

I hope he dies by having someone run into his fist and activating his NG.

I don't know. Who created Junko? I think that character still takes precedence.

Nagito

Calling it right now

Yeah burn him , for total idiocy.
That's not how you persuade someone.
You don't persuade someone by spiting on him and trying to send him on the hospital.
He view him as an hinderance for munakata plans and wanted to get rid of a pest because in his mind the student was expandable.
The escuse he gave afterward doesn't erase his actions , that was unnecessary , especially given that he had the upper hand and should have the experience necessary to deal with those situations ( isn't he in charge of security ? )

BURN HIM , He did everything wrong in this scene.and given his actions on the other story , i have no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt

Junko was born as she is. No way will Kodaka change that.

Yeah, Junko is supposed to be sort of akin to the Joker; she's a force of nature. Though I do like how DR0 portrays her as having 'some' hope, which makes sense; you can't have Despair without Hope, and obviously vice versa.

RE: Hajime in the Reserve Course; I think it's well established that Junko is a master of half-tru, selectively censoring information to produce the most despair. Of course, on a narrative level, having people like Chisa and Chiaki heightens the, well, 'Tragic' nature of it. Chiaki's own character arc shows that even some one with talent needs more to become a complete human being, which the audience knows from watching all these mostly anti social weirdos, but it shows how connecting with others helps improve our sense of self worth. Hajime on the other hand puts the wagon before the horse; he thinks he needs to be WORTH something before he can comfortably interact with the world, which leads to his unfortunate decision.

Yeah burn him , for total idiocy.
That's not how you persuade someone.
You don't persuade someone by spiting on him and trying to send him on the hospital.

But if all you want is to get someone out of the way then injuring/terrifying them into submission can totally work. And in a way it might have, depending on what Hajime does as Izuru.

I've gone on about this more than enough though. I'm sure I'm just boring people at this point.

Yeah, Junko is supposed to be sort of akin to the Joker; she's a force of nature. Though I do like how DR0 portrays her as having 'some' hope, which makes sense; you can't have Despair without Hope, and obviously vice versa.

This is why I think that Junko wasn't always the Junko that we know. Not that someone necessarily "created" her but that she didn't start with the goal of reaching true despair. It might not be worth the plot's time to talk about what kicked off her descent as a child; personally I find the "born evil" cliche to be a weak way out of writing a backstory so even if the story doesn't cover it I'd hate to think that's her explanation. After all if there's anything this series is good at it's demonstrating why people do the awful things they do.

well, I'd have to imagine she was always despair. however, someone recruited her to hopes peak. I wouldn't be surprised if that person is the final antagonist.

Do you mean like Kizakura scouting her out (that he may have known her talent for despair in addition to modeling) or the person on the staff that perhaps saw who she really was and said, "Yes, that, we want to keep that around"?

RE: Hajime in the Reserve Course; I think it's well established that Junko is a master of half-tru, selectively censoring information to produce the most despair. Of course, on a narrative level, having people like Chisa and Chiaki heightens the, well, 'Tragic' nature of it. Chiaki's own character arc shows that even some one with talent needs more to become a complete human being, which the audience knows from watching all these mostly anti social weirdos, but it shows how connecting with others helps improve our sense of self worth. Hajime on the other hand puts the wagon before the horse; he thinks he needs to be WORTH something before he can comfortably interact with the world, which leads to his unfortunate decision.

To double back to this post, I really like this analysis. While juggling all the characters in the second cast plus a half dozen more the show, in three episodes, did a great job of contrasting Chiaki and Hajime.

FluxWaveZ

This is why I think that Junko wasn't always the Junko that we know. Not that someone necessarily "created" her but that she didn't start with the goal of reaching true despair. It might not be worth the plot's time to talk about what kicked off her descent as a child; personally I find the "born evil" cliche to be a weak way out of writing a backstory so even if the story doesn't cover it I'd hate to think that's her explanation. After all if there's anything this series is good at it's demonstrating why people do the awful things they do.

Kodaka:
So what does that mean for Junko? I guess it's better that we don't know the answer, but what could have made a person like that if they were good at one time?

Recently, I feel like more bad guys in games are given a harsh background of some kind that explains their evilness in the present day. But that feels like cheating to me. I felt like the most dangerous thing about Junko would be that she doesn't have any reason to do the things she does. So I incorporated that into her character all the way through the game, as thoroughly as possible.
Combined with Danganronpa 0, and it would be a straight up retcon to give her an "origin story."

It makes complete sense that Junko was born that way, because "Ultimate Despair" is her talent. If talent is inherent to one's being and isn't simply something one works hard at (which is why Fuyuhiko's sister was never going to reach her goal), then Despair was inherent to Junko. There would be no impetus for it.

Kodaka:

Combined with Danganronpa 0, and it would be a straight up retcon to give her an "origin story."

It makes complete sense that Junko was born that way, because "Ultimate Despair" is her talent. If talent is inherent to one's being and isn't simply something one works hard at (which is why Fuyuhiko's sister was never going to reach her goal), then Despair was inherent to Junko. There would be no impetus for it.

I think in a way, metaphorically speaking of course ans I doubt they'll touch on this explicitly, but getting into the rotten nature of Hope's Peak in a way gives us the context for a world that would birth Junko; fundamentally the impossibility of positive change. You're born the way you are and that's that; you have no 'real' control of who you are or what you can do in life, and anyone who says differently is using yoy to self-interested ends. The only way change occurs is involuntarily, through society imposing itself, its hopes and expectations, on you, like the Izuru experiment. Faced with such callous hypocrisy, why hope for anything? Why not wallow in animalistic nihilism, secure in knowing that this all you could ever really amount to?

Of course, all of this is the negative petspective. There's a quote from the end of The Dark Knight that I think is really apropos to Junko: "What are you trying to prove? That deep down everyone is as ugly as you? You're alone!"

Kodaka:

Thanks for digging that up. So I'm just straight up wrong then, oh well. I think I was confused by parts of DR0 that said, if I remember right, that she didn't always feel the pull of despair but that it blossomed at a young age. I guess that was just her starting to recognize her talent.

Jazzem

No matter what I do on the Funimation website, I can't get the videos to appear:

Funimation_Problem.png

Anyone know why this may happen and how to fix it? Apologies if this has already been asked.

h0tp0ck3t

No matter what I do on the Funimation website, I can't get the videos to appear:

Anyone know why this may happen and how to fix it? Apologies if this has already been asked.

Doesn't look like you're logged in. Right now they're not offering free steaming for it so you'll have to make an account and subscribe

I'm reading the wiki and I'm looking at something called the Despair Book that was revealed in Danganronpa:Togami.

What the shit is this, apparently this book unleashes a virus that causes you to fall into despair and it's the main cause of the tragedy. So uh yeah, this is a thing, that was revealed in some spin off novel, that seems to be getting ignored in main stuff........uh.......ok

I'm reading the wiki and I'm looking at something called the Despair Book that was revealed in Danganronpa:Togami.

What the shit is this, apparently this book unleashes a virus that causes you to fall into despair and it's the main cause of the tragedy. So uh yeah, this is a thing, that was revealed in some spin off novel, that seems to be getting ignored in main stuff........uh.......ok

Byakuya Togami is my spirit animal but that sounds really stupid.

Permanently A

Are we getting into MGS4 meme territory?

Junko was 100% born evil. She isn't like the Joker, she's like Dio Brando. Evil scum from second 1.

That's what I meant. I mean sure Joker has had a few origin stories but mainly that's treated as irrelevant. She's a force of nature who came into the world fullyou formed.

It's a memetic contagion, which reminds me of a lot of SCPs from the SCP Foundation. The pseudo-science behind it is that a certain combination of ideas triggers a mental/physiological response in the reader.

Until Kodaka acknowledges it on DR3, I'd disregard it. It brings the main conflict into full nanomachines territory.

Didn't anyone else felt that the whole

Chiaki being cute with Hajime was something they did to strengthen their relationship/shipping so that when the first killing game happens it's going to be even more shocking if Izuru is the one that end up killing her?

That, or another possibility is that...

After becoming Izuru, the last semblance of Hinata/sanity that remained in him was Chiaki, and Chiaki's death pushed him over the edge to kill everyone else in the First Killing Game

That's true.

Couldn't we have a third option in which

Chiaki goes away to play in the Pokemon World Cup (or something) and leaves him alone in his lowest moment so he despairs? But she then returns after the Neo World Program to help him remember who he was? Could we? Could we?

Permanently A

Didn't anyone else felt that the whole

Chiaki being cute with Hajime was something they did to strengthen their relationship/shipping so that when the first killing game happens it's going to be even more shocking if Izuru is the one that end up killing her?

It seems likely but at the same time very predictable so I think it may not go down exactly as we suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom