• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi87

I doubt I'm justified in stating this but doesn't the details of the new game hint the ending of the series.
that they lose and monokuma is free to play another game

I'm not sure. The DRv3 is kind of a soft reboot of the series, so not even sure if it may necessarily take place in the same timeline maybe.

The technology she has is from the Towa Corporation; she basically blackmailed the owner into making all of the Monokumas. So in reality, she probably just had the Towa Corporation do all of this too.

But in fact, UDG did make it a point to highlight her genius in robotics (and manipulation), seeing as how she took control of the whole Towa robotics division, as well as personally made the Warriors' robots and the mind control device. Towa Group was a more of a means to an end to produce what Monoca and Junko needed on a global scale.

On a side note, I'm actually surprised most posters here have such poor opinions of UDG. IMO it was a pretty competent puzzle shooter even if the narrative is kind of on the weak side. It also hugely redeemed Toko as a character, turning her from one of the most stereotypical anime cliches ever into a quirky, but decent person in the end.

poodpick

But in fact, UDG did make it a point to highlight her genius in robotics (and manipulation), seeing as how she took control of the whole Towa robotics division, as well as personally made the Warriors' robots and the mind control device. Towa Group was a more of a means to an end to produce what Monoca and Junko needed on a global scale.

On a side note, I'm actually surprised most posters here have such poor opinions of UDG. IMO it was a pretty competent puzzle shooter even if the narrative is kind of on the weak side. It also hugely redeemed Toko as a character, turning her from one of the most stereotypical anime cliches ever into a quirky, but decent person in the end.

Using a child who was a victim of sexual abuse as a means to perpetrate a groping mini-game on the protagonist was disgusting.

latest

What are the chances that V3's waifu is Monaca?

Puruzi

Banned
Ultra Despair Girls was good. Komaru and Toko were great together and I enjoyed the story. Not sure why it's treated like the black sheep of the games, not like DR1 and 2 had stellar gameplay.

I'm not sure. The DRv3 is kind of a soft reboot of the series, so not even sure if it may necessarily take place in the same timeline maybe.

That's the odd thing for me because it's been confirmed that the anime series will wrap up everything we've seen so far which means any sequel should have no real connection to prior games. Feels weird if the despair struggle continues but makoto is no longer involved.

FluxWaveZ

That's the odd thing for me because it's been confirmed that the anime series will wrap up everything we've seen so far which means any sequel should have no real connection to prior games. Feels weird if the despair struggle continues but makoto is no longer involved.

It doesn't have to be the battle between hope and despair anymore. It could be something else.

PK Gaming

ALTTP posted their character rankings a while back and I figured i'd try my hand at it.

Character Rankings
1. Bandai - The best damn black character in anime, no fiction, period. He doesn't feel wasted and his design is fantastic. I really got the sense that the creators wanted him to feel like an actual person, rather than some creepy caricature to be gawked at. He had to be killed early since he would overshadow everyone else.
2. Ruruka Ando - Fantastic, nuanced character with a good voice and solid design. You can tell this character will have some amazing scenes later on.
3. Seiko Kimura - She's potentially the most tragic character in the franchise. Her expulsion caused her life to spiral out of control, and it's just sad to see her so hurt and sad. Aside from that, her transformation is incredibly cool, her design is superb and she improves every scene she's a part of.
4. Miaya Gekkogahara - Obviously this rating is tentative after the reveal, but I felt an immense amount of connection to her. She's very endearing, cute and relatable. It's unfortunate that she didn't end up being Chiaki though.
5. Ryota Mitarai - His desire to be just like Naegi is adorable and endearing, but he's also a fleshed out character on top of that. I can't help but want to root for him.
6. Chisa Yukizome - Good and realistic character. She just wants everyone to be happy, and is super understanding about everyone's feelings. Her death seriously bummed me out.
7. Kazuo Tengen - The source material implies that he's a shady guy, but he's not like that at all! He might be involved with some corruption, but he's an honorable and good man. Total badass too, his fight scene with Yu was awesome.
8. Juzo Sakakura - Juzo is a character with plenty of potential but he's horrible in execution. As someone who's had to experience The Tragedy firsthand, his rage towards the Ultimate Despair is completely warranted. Only problem is, there's pretty much 0 nuance here, so it's hard to take him seriously as a character. The anime just doesn't convey any of that hate and pain in a way that isn't basic. I just don't feel any emotion when I see him lash out against Naegi, I just get, "wow this guy's a dick vibes" and "did he just chuck a chair a kyoko." Probably the most disappointing character in the anime, but still better than the people below him.
9. Koichi Kizakura - Meh.
10. Sonosuke Izayoi - Good character, atrocious design.
11. Gozu - Awful character. His death was very shocking an unexpected though.
12. Aoi Asahina - She really should have died tbh. Only redeeming factor is how hot she is after she ditches her jacket.
13. Makoto Naegi - Ultimate Hope, more like Ultimate Dope.
14. Kyoko Kirigiri - Bad and useless now.
15. Yu Narukami - Shit character.

Using a child who was a victim of sexual abuse as a means to perpetrate a groping mini-game on the protagonist was disgusting.

Is that really why? It's in terrible taste, I won't argue, but I guess I expected something more about the gameplay and overarching narrative.

2 things:

1. I should've researched more about v3
  2. I'm going to keep my hypothesis despite that, v3's waifu is Monaca, you read it here first

Is that really why? It's in terrible taste, I won't argue, but I guess I expected something more about the gameplay and overarching narrative.

It didn't bug me much because DR is such a crass series anyways. The way the narrative was drawn out and the middling gameplay is what makes it a bleh game to me.

Rich!

I really liked DR:AE in the sense that was a great throwback to when I would rent a b-tier game for the weekend, play through it and return it after

I bought it from thegamecollection for like, £23 and traded it in to CEX immediately after finishing it for £20. Not a bad deal at all.

Toko was one of the only things that really made me have any positive takeaway from that game. The game for me wasn't really competent enough as a third-person shooter to make up for the story issues, which were pretty profound.

1. Ghosts(?)
2. Loli shit (Kotoko)
3. Loli shit (Haiji, what the fuck is up with this loli shit!?)
4. Some of the English VA isn't good
5. Climax scene was bad. I was expecting the "will you push it" prompts to continue to escalate to silliness, like at one point the option to not press becomes a single pixel, but they didn't do that. It was just really anti-climactic.

A lot of my problems with the story hinge on 2 and 3, because that shit was gross and Haiji's shit didn't seem like the writers did it as a means by which to make him look like a shitty person, it was just comic relief.

Nice ep. Love that reveal, though it's a pity to see

Unami gone again, and proto-chiaki too. Stupid despair.

I think it was quite obvious that Monaca's not the mastermind. She's just helping or third party altogether. But i really like her being in the series instead of just being next game's villain.

About the mastermind...

Couldn't Naegi be half Junko? He was in the island in the climax so Junko might've downloaded herself into him. The ultimate hope being the ultimate despair (they would pull an inverse Izuru lol).

NEO0MJ

As soon as grandpa starting doing cool shit I knew he was doomed by the end of this episode.

And oh god the rapist is back. Man do I hate Monaca :x

Goodstyle

ALTTP posted their character rankings a while back and I figured i'd try my hand at it.

Character Rankings
1. Bandai - The best damn black character in anime, no fiction, period. He doesn't feel wasted and his design is fantastic. I really got the sense that the creators wanted him to feel like an actual person, rather than some creepy caricature to be gawked at. He had to be killed early since he would overshadow everyone else.
2. Ruruka Ando - Fantastic, nuanced character with a good voice and solid design. You can tell this character will have some amazing scenes later on.
3. Seiko Kimura - She's potentially the most tragic character in the franchise. Her expulsion caused her life to spiral out of control, and it's just sad to see her so hurt and sad. Aside from that, her transformation is incredibly cool, her design is superb and she improves every scene she's a part of.
4. Miaya Gekkogahara - Obviously this rating is tentative after the reveal, but I felt an immense amount of connection to her. She's very endearing, cute and relatable. It's unfortunate that she didn't end up being Chiaki though.
5. Ryota Mitarai - His desire to be just like Naegi is adorable and endearing, but he's also a fleshed out character on top of that. I can't help but want to root for him.
6. Chisa Yukizome - Good and realistic character. She just wants everyone to be happy, and is super understanding about everyone's feelings. Her death seriously bummed me out.
7. Kazuo Tengen - The source material implies that he's a shady guy, but he's not like that at all! He might be involved with some corruption, but he's an honorable and good man. Total badass too, his fight scene with Yu was awesome.
8. Juzo Sakakura - Juzo is a character with plenty of potential but he's horrible in execution. As someone who's had to experience The Tragedy firsthand, his rage towards the Ultimate Despair is completely warranted. Only problem is, there's pretty much 0 nuance here, so it's hard to take him seriously as a character. The anime just doesn't convey any of that hate and pain in a way that isn't basic. I just don't feel any emotion when I see him lash out against Naegi, I just get, "wow this guy's a dick vibes" and "did he just chuck a chair a kyoko." Probably the most disappointing character in the anime, but still better than the people below him.
12. Aoi Asahina - She really should have died tbh. Only redeeming factor is how hot she is after she ditches her jacket.

Took me a second to realize what was going on lol.

Rich!

Nice ep. Love that reveal, though it's a pity to see

Unami gone again, and proto-chiaki too. Stupid despair.

I think it was quite obvious that Monaca's not the mastermind. She's just helping or third party altogether. But i really like her being in the series instead of just being next game's villain.

About the mastermind...

Couldn't Naegi be half Junko? He was in the island in the climax so Junko might've downloaded herself into him. The ultimate hope being the ultimate despair (they would pull an inverse Izuru lol).

To the first one, monomi may be bad now! Fun times. Imagine if the reason Monokuma is wearing a bracelet is because him and monomi have switched roles!

To the second, no Junko couldn't have downloaded herself to Naegi, Byakuya or Kirigiri (or the DR2 crew) as they destroyed her AI with the shutdown sequence before they could "graduate".

Toko was one of the only things that really made me have any positive takeaway from that game. The game for me wasn't really competent enough as a third-person shooter to make up for the story issues, which were pretty profound.

1. Ghosts(?)
2. Loli shit (Kotoko)
3. Loli shit (Haiji, what the fuck is up with this loli shit!?)
4. Some of the English VA isn't good
5. Climax scene was bad. I was expecting the "will you push it" prompts to continue to escalate to silliness, like at one point the option to not press becomes a single pixel, but they didn't do that. It was just really anti-climactic.

A lot of my problems with the story hinge on 2 and 3, because that shit was gross and Haiji's shit didn't seem like the writers did it as a means by which to make him look like a shitty person, it was just comic relief.

Personally the tasteless stuff didn't bother me, but on an intellectual level yeah, the Loli stuff just feels forced. I remember someone saying that the game touches on child abuse, when lol no its total exploitation schlock.

To the second, no Junko couldn't have downloaded herself to Naegi, Byakuya or Kirigiri (or the DR2 crew) as they destroyed her AI with the shutdown sequence before they could "graduate".

I believe this comes from people trying to reconcile the ending of DR2 (Izuru living as Hajime and the survivors keeping a semblance of recovery after the glitchfest that was Chapter 6 and the shutdown sequence) with a possible return of Junko as mastermind.

Just T

Despair Volume: 3

Man why Juzo got to be such a bitch about things. Anyway though, this was a good episode, I was wondering how much screentime Natsumi would have before the moment came but surprised it came along that quickly. She had an initial awful impression and well it's not like that went away but I did enjoy learning more about her in the conversation with Hajime. Sato was unstable as fuck. Welp, we should be getting closer to finding out what happened to Chiaki, that's not going to be pretty.

Future Volume: 4

The Monokuma Theater was neat, especially the Hagakure comment lol. So I thought Munakata had a point for a minute and thought "ah okay" but then he kept talking so yeah him and Juzo still need to go, out here throwing chairs and shit. However, props to Tengan for holding his own, that was a nice surprise, enjoyed all his scenes. I was a little suspicious of his character earlier though but that's already gone. As for the reveal of Monaca, it's not that surprising that she showed up, more so just didn't really want her to and it's not that surprising that it was Miaya, didn't know what it was but she been suspicious. Someone has to be helping her though, maybe Koichi? Now I want Komaru and Toko to show up already. Byakuya too.

kewlmyc

Character Rankings

Don't agree with Gozu being so low and and not feeling Ruruka so far. Other than that, solid list. Good on you for actually remembering their names, though I can't agree on Bandai being the best black character in anime. At all. Durarara and Black Lagoon exist.

Permanently A

Character Rankings

This list is pretty good if you reverse it.

FluxWaveZ

Monaca's not the mastermind type like Junko was, anyways. She's too emotional, self-serving and she screws up as a result (as evidenced by DR:AE). Hell, Nagito was more of a driving force than Monaca was. She needs other people on her side and (supposedly) serving her, or else she is unable to operate. It's unlike Junko or Nagito, who are comparably self-sufficient.

Of course, she could have grown up from her childish tendencies, but I feel like that could be a character trait they keep.

I was thinking about carefully explaining how Monaca is clearly not the mastermind, but then I remembered this is the series that turned the Ultimate Fashionista that ostensibly died second into the mastermind, so w/e I'm just going with anything could happen. Captain Crunch is the mastermind.

h0tp0ck3t

I was thinking about carefully explaining how Monaca is clearly not the mastermind, but then I remembered this is the series that turned the Ultimate Fashionista that ostensibly died second into the mastermind, so w/e I'm just going with anything could happen. Captain Crunch is the mastermind.

Mastermind is AI Chiaki controlling an army of Monokuma robots. Real Miaya shows up, reveals she is the real Chiaki, attacks with her army of robot Miayas. Final episode is 30 minutes of Chiakis killing Chiakis

Mastermind is AI Chiaki controlling an army of Monokuma robots. Real Miaya shows up, reveals she is the real Chiaki, attacks with her army of robot Miayas. Final episode is 30 minutes of Chiakis killing Chiakis

Revelations of chiaki will occur in the future arc. Depends on whether they're of despair or hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom