• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Rex.

Banned
I think you were meant to feel that. There's a line very early that says "Well we have a Togami heir, a Kuzuryu heir and a princess so its probably one of them cuz they have money and information networks."

Also she's blond and has semi large breasts. That's why I dismissed her as not being the mastermind or traitor.

There's a lot of mastermind Sonia art out there tho

dnhEZKa.jpg
Mastermind Sonia looks great. Speaking of Sonia, I'm going to laugh so hard if Soda ends up falling into despair because Sonia does.

UberTag

Mastermind Sonia looks great. Speaking of Sonia, I'm going to laugh so hard if Soda ends up falling into despair because Sonia does.
How else would it happen? I'd be surprised if this wasn't the case. Sonia falls and Soda goes along with it so he can still be with her. Dude is fully committed to his unrequited crush.

So we're now 24 hours away from Future Episode 5. I'm convinced Tengan dies (not a stretch; possibly before the opening credits have wrapped so that Remaining People counter can drop a notch to 12).

I'm convinced that the following people are safe and sound and will make it through to next week...
- Makoto Naegi (duh)
- Kyoko Kirigiri (double duh)
- Yasuhiro Hagakure (triple duh)
- Juzo Sakakura (annoying character armor)
- Miaya Gekkogahara / Monaca (plot armor; may be temporarily out of commission due to reboot)
- Koichi Kizakura (plot armor)

Pretty damn likely to survive barring a huge character-driven episode followed by a murder at the end of it so we can get his backstory with the Imposter in Despair Ep 5...
- Ryota Mitarai (plot armor)

Likely to survive due to annoying character armor unless she gets a redemption arc following Izayoi's likely death and makes amends with Seiko (and getting killed immediately afterwards)...
- Ruruka Ando (annoying character armor)

The others I'm not so sure about. I tend to think Hina and Munakata are both fine... but I'm not going to stake my life on it. Either one getting murdered would subvert expectations but it's not outside of the realm of possibility. Seiko may get whacked in the next murder spree now that they've made her likeable. I give Izayoi better than 50/50 odds of getting gimped by a forbidden action / NG code death this week.

T-Rex.

Banned
How else would it happen? I'd be surprised if this wasn't the case. Sonia falls and Soda goes along with it so he can still be with her. Dude is fully committed to his unrequited crush.
True, it's actually going to be disappointing if it doesn't play out that way. Despair Soda still trying it on with Despair Sonia is going to be a treat.

Rich!

im just gonna reiterate here just how impressed I am with DR3 (both sides) but especially the future arc.

never thought an anime sequel would serve as an adequate conclusion to DR1 and 2, but this has so far surpassed all my expectations.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
im just gonna reiterate here just how impressed I am with DR3 (both sides) but especially the future arc.

never thought an anime sequel would serve as an adequate conclusion to DR1 and 2, but this has so far surpassed all my expectations.

Yup, and it obviously works better because it was written as an anime instead of an adaptation like DR 1 was.

Rich!

Yup, and it obviously works better because it was written as an anime instead of an adaptation like DR 1 was.

Danganronpa 1 anime was horrifically bad in almost every respect

why the fuck would anyone willingly watch that shit when they could actually play the game and get the same experience but a literal million times better?!?!

Thud

DR1 anime is more like a recap. The let's get this out of the way.

Lerche got a lot better since then and the budget should be good. Just looking at the OP of both sides was enough to convince me I'm in for a ride.

Rich!

DR1 anime is more like a recap. The let's get this out of the way.

Lerche got a lot better since then and the budget should be good. Just looking at the OP of both sides was enough to convince me I'm in for a ride.

oh yeah thats another thing

I hate the op and op song for DR1 anime. by contrast, I absolutely fucking love the OP intro and songs for DR3. they're incredible. and fucking nagito singing the ending for despair arc, damn son

That is how its going to happen. Some of them are attached by the hip.

Fuyuhiko and Peko, obviously
Soda and Sonia
Mahiru and Saionji
Akane and Nidai, although Nidai seems like he would be the hardest one to make give in to despair

So, unless I'm mistaken, the last episode will be a despair episode. Wouldn't it be a little strange to end it on that? I guess they could do whatever they want regardless.

What do you mean?

That, for instance, the last despair and future episodes end up being at the same time (in universe). For instance, if the ultimate despairs are involved somehow in the game the future foundation members are currently trapped in (fucking nagito in particular), then the episodes on side despair could timskip from being at hopes peak at some point, to the current time, where the two would then be interacting.

That's complete speculation at the moment of course.

Rich!

That, for instance, the last despair and future episodes end up being at the same time (in universe). For instance, if the ultimate despairs are involved somehow in the game the future foundation members are currently trapped in (fucking nagito in particular), then the episodes on side despair could timskip from being at hopes peak at some point, to the current time, where the two would then be interacting.

That's complete speculation at the moment of course.

yeah I think this is gonna happen

the two arcs are gonna cross over at the end

Junko hid all the toilet paper.

004-nidai.png

Yeah, I've been thinking that the last episode of Despair will flash forward to the present. Check in on the DR2 survivors and whatever progress they've made in saving the people in comas.

If they start crossing over even sooner than that I wouldn't really be surprised.

UberTag

Yeah, I've been thinking that the last episode of Despair will flash forward to the present. Check in on the DR2 survivors and whatever progress they've made in saving the people in comas.

If they start crossing over even sooner than that I wouldn't really be surprised.
I still hope that Despair Episode 12 kicks off right where Despair Episode 1 did... inside the movie theater on Jabberwock Island with Chisa eating popcorn.

Rich!

5ytnrUjl.png

talking about the DR2 crew being forced into a killing game within the Neo World Program

u6UXsYll.png

talking about the DR2 crew being forced into a killing game within the Neo World Program

I still read that as them vaguely describing what happened in DR2. They ran into a hitch (Junko AI/Virus), but they’re now mostly fine (Hajime + others made it out of the program and are trying to find a way to help their friends).

Shufel

I don't really like the idea of the DR2 characters that are in a coma waking up. I can accept Nagito waking up because of his absurd luck, but that's as far as it should go. A happy ending like that wouldn't really feel very Danganronpa to me and would probably make me think less of DR2 purely because the deaths would no longer have any weight behind them.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I don't really like the idea of the DR2 characters that are in a coma waking up. I can accept Nagito waking up because of his absurd luck, but that's as far as it should go. A happy ending like that wouldn't really feel very Danganronpa to me and would probably make me think less of DR2 purely because the deaths would no longer have any weight behind them.

Makoto's hope will trump all.

Everyone will get together and have tea and cake.

Chiaki appears and she pwns all the noobs with her MLG skillz.

Nahhhh

The comatose ones are pretty much screwed. Though, yeah, I can imagine something happening like that with Nagito.

I disagree, I think DR2's cast all surviving is a testament to the direction that the series is, or at least should be, going in. DR3 should have a happy ending - or at least, as happy an ending as it can muster.

DR3 should have a bittersweet ending at best- leave it to us fans to find the last hope in ourselves to cope with the despair of the ending as a final message; or perhaps, a graduation exam of sorts to see if we can let hope for the remainder of the cast blossom in our hearts.

DR2 cast waking up without despair would kill the Hope's Peak arc for me- the DR2 ending's "we'll just pick Future and have our cake and eat it still" move was already too much. They should answer that question though. Don't pull any punches, Kodaka. I want despair.

Also, I haven't the slightest emotional investment in either arc for some reason. I guess I just ain't a big fan of the anime format. Zetsubou-hen feels far more well-done though, not digging the cast or plot of mirai-hen as much though monaca's appearance might change that very soon.

If the series goes that route, I'm probably done with it.

You will be done with it because, at least with the Hope vs. Despair thing, this is the final chapter of that. :p That's why I think that it will be a relatively happy ending. My particular reason?

Nagito

Nagito wants despair to lose, and thus far, nothing has happened within his influenced that goes against his desires.

Demoli

I feel two people are gonna die this episode, one by the time out and the smith after the Candy girl forces a cake down his throat.

FluxWaveZ

You will be done with it because, at least with the Hope vs. Despair thing, this is the final chapter of that. :p That's why I think that it will be a relatively happy ending. My particular reason?

Nagito

Nagito wants despair to lose, and thus far, nothing has happened within his influenced that goes against his desires.

This series is fundamentally about teenagers killing each other. Dire circumstances are what naturally brings these situations about. If it EVER pivots to "we need to make these circumstances actually happy along with the ending or else people will get mad," it has lost the crux of its identity and would no longer be worth following.

You are invested in the wrong series if what you seek from Danganronpa—a franchise about killing one another for awful reasons and humanity at its worst—are unconditionally happy endings.

Better hang it up now then

Thankfully, I have more faith in Kodaka than the fanfiction, everybody-lived-happy-ever-after endings some come up with.

Thud

If the series goes that route, I'm probably done with it.

There won't be more anyway in this universe. This is intended for closure.

Whatever the outcome they still have to live in a post-apocalyptic world, so it can't be that happy.

Unless everything was simulators and nobody actually died.

The entire DR2 cast waking up isn't really a happy ending, they still have to deal with the fact that they are responsible for countless deaths/atrocities. That's pretty "bittersweet" to me.

I think leaving them in a coma would be very unfulfilling way to end the arc.

There won't be more anyway in this universe. This is intended for closure.

Whatever the outcome they still have to live in a post-apocalyptic world, so it can't be that happy.

Unless everything was simulators and nobody actually died.

Seriously, the notion that the survival of the DR2 cast denotes a happy ending by normal standards is a bit silly. Especially when Flux calls it me wanting an "unconditional happy ending."

1. Their bodies are not in good shape at all
2. They have to live with everything they've done
3. The world has basically been ruined and needs to be rebuilt

Like, did you pay attention at all to these details Flux? :p

It also deals with DR's grey morals, where the cast of DR1 doesn't all get to live, but the cast of DR2 - redeemed villains - does.

Also, DR is not about "teens killing each other." I mean it is, but it's about despair and hope. The anime is even set up as a final battle between hope and despair. If you really think that a hopeful ending like that doesn't suit the series, then how can a Makoto victory line up with that? And how can the series even be said to be following that theme if they responded to "you have to choose between your life and the world's" by choosing both?

FluxWaveZ

The entire DR2 cast waking up isn't really a happy ending, they still have to deal with the fact that they are responsible for countless deaths/atrocities.

I think leaving them in a coma would be very unfulfilling way to end the arc.

Then they would need to actually write it that way and make the repercussions of their past actions very real and very apparent in the anime itself instead of just in the minds of the fanbase.

Also, DR is not about "teens killing each other." I mean it is, but it's about despair and hope. The anime is even set up as a final battle between hope and despair. If you really think that a hopeful ending like that doesn't suit the series, then how can a Makoto victory line up with that? And how can the series even be said to be following that theme if they responded to "you have to choose between your life and the world's" by choosing both?

No, it's about "teens killing each other." You said it yourself: DR3 is the final chapter of despair vs. hope. And yet what is the only thing we know about DR V3 right now? Teens killing each other.

And what I was arguing against was this line:
DR2's cast all surviving is a testament to the direction that the series is, or at least should be, going in.
The implication I took from it being not only DR3, but everything afterwards. If you just mean DR3 then, sure, as a culmination point, a hopeful ending would make sense. But it's not like the entire series is reverting into one where happy endings and not bittersweet or even bad ones will reign.

Then they would need to actually write it that way and make the repercussions of their past actions very real and very apparent in the anime itself instead of just in the minds of the fanbase.

No, it's about "teens killing each other." You said it yourself: DR3 is the final chapter of despair vs. hope. And yet what is the only thing we know about DR V3 right now? Teens killing each other.

The game is about teens killing each other. The story is about hope and despair. V3 will be a game about teens killing each other, but the primary focus and goals of the story won't simply be "teens killing each other."

Imagine the SDR2 cast waking up, redeemed and all, and then being lynched when they get to the mainland as murderers with only Komaeda surviving.

I'm so glad NDRV3 will be doing away with the old lore and hopefully (badumtiss) with the hope/despair schtick as well. A brand new cast can take NDRV3 to hopefully darker places, and without the over the top hope/despair circlejerk that ends up unimmersing you after a while..

FluxWaveZ

The game is about teens killing each other. The story is about hope and despair. V3 will be a game about teens killing each other, but the primary focus and goals of the story won't simply be "teens killing each other."

So? What does that have to do that, at its core, we've got teenagers in secluded areas being forced to murder each other and how that conflicts with any possible happy-go-lucky outcomes?

Imagine the SDR2 cast waking up, redeemed and all, and then being lynched when they get to the mainland as murderers with only Komaeda surviving.

I'm so glad NDRV3 will be doing away with the old lore and hopefully (badumtiss) with the hope/despair schtick as well. A brand new cast can take NDRV3 to hopefully darker places, and without the over the top hope/despair circlejerk that ends up unimmersing you after a while..

Yeah, I am definitely happy to have the series move beyond it. If they had any connection to the earlier stuff with V3, it would just end up dragging it down - like how Apollo Justice was a worse game because Phoenix was shoehorned into it.

So? What does that have to do that, at its core, we've got teenagers in secluded areas being forced to murder each other and how that conflicts with any possible happy-go-lucky outcomes?

No happier an ending than "we cut off out limbs and murdered people, including our parents, oh and one of us had sex with a corpse and we have to live with that" Shit, DR2's final chapter dealt pretty heavily with the ramifications. The Remnants of Despair being a target of the Future Foundation, them having to deal with their ruined bodies, etc. This isn't just made up fan stuff.

I think that's already present in the anime in the way the Future Foundation reacts to the fact that the Remnants of Despair are still alive.

I can't think of a more fitting end to the Hope's Peak arc than to have a class that was supposed to be the embodiment of hope, then having experienced the furthest depths of despair, being warped and twisted by this experience, having to come together and make amends for their actions.

FluxWaveZ

I think that's already present in the anime in the way the Future Foundation reacts to the fact that the Remnants of Despair are still alive.

I can't think of a more fitting end to the Hope's Peak arc than to have a class that was supposed to be the embodiment of hope, then having experienced the furthest depths of despair, being warped and twisted by this experience, having to come together and make amends for their actions.

That'd be the important part: carrying through with it, and it's not like I'm confident that they would. The actual consequences of their actions and painting their return in a very grim light, along with them not just being able to carry on with their own lives at their leisure, would be neat.

No happier an ending than "we cut off out limbs and murdered people, including our parents, oh and one of us had sex with a corpse and we have to live with that"

That's different than the series as a whole. The DR2 cast waking up? Sure, I have no issue with that as long as it's handled appropriately. You were saying that DR3 should have a happy ending (or one that it could muster), but now you're arguing that it wouldn't actually be happy. It's that bittersweetness that has been a theme of Danganronpa's all along, and that I would want maintained.

That'd be the important part: carrying through with it, and it's not like I'm confident that they would. The actual consequences of their actions and painting their return in a very grim light, along with them not just being able to carry on with their own lives at their leisure, would be neat.

That's different than the series as a whole. The DR2 cast waking up? Sure, I have no issue with that as long as it's handled appropriately.

But you responded to the notion of them waking up as if it would be handled inappropriately. To me, the best way to do it would be to stop the likes of Monaca by, instead of killing her, actually convincing her that Junko was wrong. Basically, instead of Monaca perhaps being a martyr for someone else, have her reject despair. It would be an interesting parallel with Haiji, who in his fight against despair fell to despair.

Happy endings can have bittersweet elements. I have no idea why you assumed an extreme. Don't be a Nagito or Munakata!

I don't think their lives are gonna be a picnic if/when they wake up, but I'm not opposed to them being allowed to find happiness again either.

That's kinda the whole point of DR2. These students, despite their actions, are also victims. It doesn't absolve them of their actions, but it doesn't mean they don't deserve their shot at some sort of redemption either.

FluxWaveZ

But you responded to the notion of them waking up as if it would be handled inappropriately.

No, I was talking solely about the implication that the series is tending towards one of happy endings.

I don't think their lives are gonna be a picnic if/when they wake up, but I'm not opposed to them being allowed to find happiness again either.

That's kinda the whole point of DR2. These students, despite their actions, are also victims. It doesn't absolve them of their actions, but it doesn't mean they don't deserve their shot at some sort of redemption either.

Hm, well I guess that's the kind of moral struggle I'd want to see conveyed if they were to return. I don't think being a heavy contribution to humanity's downfall necessarily deserves redemption. Makoto Naegi, of course, would argue what you're saying.

Happy endings can have bittersweet elements. I have no idea why you assumed an extreme. Don't be a Nagito or Munakata!

It's a matter of semantics, but "happy" really just means "happy" to me. It doesn't imply any grey areas. I wouldn't call DR1's ending "happy," despite the fact that the survivors escape from their prison and defeat the Big Bad. I wouldn't call DR2's ending "happy," despite the fact that no one actually had to die and that the Remnants of Despair became successfully reformed (presumably).

No, I was talking solely about the implication that the series is tending towards one of happy endings.

If we are going to extremes, you could have taken my "happy ending" statement to mean that everyone who had died in 1 and 3 would also return to life. Obviously DR is not going to end with a "happy-go-lucky"(???) ending. A movie can have a happy ending while also having bittersweet moments. Star Wars OT had a happy ending, and yet Luke's dad and Yoda dies in the same film.

Thud

I expect V3 to be something new, maybe with some nods to the old ones. They even gave the team its own name.

Danganronpa games could be stand alone games from now on as well. Unless I'm missing something here of course.

I expect V3 to be something new, maybe with some nods to the old ones. They even gave the team its own name.

Danganronpa games could be stand alone games from now on as well. Unless I'm missing something here of course.

Hmm... I don't know that I'd be pleased with every future game being standalone. DR2 really benefited for me for its ties to the original. I'd really hope that DRV4 would, at the very least, expand upon what V3 did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom