• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

If we are going to extremes, you could have taken my "happy ending" statement to mean that everyone who had died in 1 and 3 would also return to life. Obviously DR is not going to end with a "happy-go-lucky"(???) ending. A movie can have a happy ending while also having bittersweet moments. Star Wars OT had a happy ending, and yet Luke's dad and Yoda dies in the same film.

Well, the definition I could find for it:
A clichéd conclusion in which all loose ends are tied up and all main characters are content. See also happily ever after.
And that's what I was addressing. I don't really feel like an ending that ends on a good note but with an underlying tone of loss and grief can be called "happy."

Well, the definition I could find for it:

And that's what I was addressing. I don't really feel like an ending that ends on a good note but with an underlying tone of loss and grief can be called "happy."

For simplicity's sake, the definition of "Happy ending" and "Sad ending" operating on extremes. Both can operate outside of extremes.

EDIT: Further, I didn't simply say a happy ending - I specifically say "as happy an ending as it can muster." As in, a happy ending in the context of the Danganronpa series.

kewlmyc

I guess it's to be expected, but holy crap, the popularity spike of Seiko is astounding. Her expected death is going to be sad.

i read ultra despair hagakure and that sucked

1. weedman is the MC. why
2. of all the people's captives they choose Leon's as the other MC. Fucking Leon.
3. Leon's cousin wants to bang him
4. Kotoko is in it and gropes a girl again

i think i wouldve rather read a story about byakuya saving celeste's dog

FStubbs

2. of all the people's captives they choose Leon's as the other MC. Fucking Leon.

From what little I read of that, it makes Leon's case even more crazy - Leon might have been the only one of the group who was perfectly cool being locked up in there. Locked in with Sayaka and no Kanon around.

h0tp0ck3t

Kanon had the potential to be to best character in the series, but then she chose not to choke the shit out of Hagakure :p

From what little I read of that, it makes Leon's case even more crazy - Leon might have been the only one of the group who was perfectly cool being locked up in there. Locked in with Sayaka and no Kanon around.

Kanon was chosen to be kidnapped because she was the most important person to Leon. Junko probably chose her based off of what Leon had told her about Kanon. He didn't reciprocate her feelings in the same way, but he did love her as family.

Yeah all of the DR2 cast waking up isn't necessarily a happy ending for hem, they still have to come to terms with the fucked up shit they did and accept whatever punishment comes their way. I'd say a true happy ending for them is kinda impossible, only Hajime might be able to get away with saying he was victim of the school turning him into a different person so it wasn't really "him".

Imagine how Teruteru is gonna feel if he comes back to his senses and realizes he sacrifced his mother for Junko(if that actually happened)

The only thing I have my strong doubts of whether the show is gonna delve into that.

DR2 cast waking up would be relatively happy. That's more of the problem than it being exactly happy. It's a catch-22, 'cause I want Nagito to come back for more shenanigans more than anything, but having him wake up would mean everyone should wake up, and having everyone wake up would mean most everything that went down in DR2 that was actually full of tension and exciting would be retconned into meh. That is not at all the case for the original game in comparison. Sayaka still dead. Mondo still dead. Sakura still dead. Etc.

kewlmyc

DR2 cast waking up would be relatively happy. That's more of the problem than it being exactly happy. It's a catch-22, 'cause I want Nagito to come back for more shenanigans more than anything, but having him wake up would mean everyone should wake up, and having everyone wake up would mean most everything that went down in DR2 that was actually full of tension and exciting would be retconned into meh. That is not at all the case for the original game in comparison. Sayaka still dead. Mondo still dead. Sakura still dead. Etc.

Wasn't it stated that Nagito has some sort of disability or disease and he probably wouldn't live long even if he did wake up from the coma?

for me that already happened the minute DR2 was revealed to be a virtual world and no one actually really died

I wouldn't say its "relatively happy", you could write it so that some of them would rather stay in a coma than wake up to their permantely fucked up lives, it's all in how they handle it. If they all wake up and act all cheery and no consequences come their way then yes that would be fucking stupid and terrible.

Rich!

Consider that only the survivors at the end will wake up and be cured of despair.

The others? If they woke up...

- Nagito knows the truth but his view is fucked up.

- Mikan reverted back to despair. And she knows the truth. If she wakes up, she's gonna kill people.

- The rest have no idea of the situation as the last they knew was starting school at hopes peak. If they woke up, they would be in utter shock, confusion and will likely completely lose it.

It wouldn't be happy at all imo. I could see half the crew dying for real and mikan needing to be put down.

Verelios

Wasn't it stated that Nagito has some sort of disability or disease and he probably wouldn't live long even if he did wake up from the coma?
I don't think it was a disease. He transplanted Junko's hand onto his(?) and was having a rejection reaction. He'd probably be okay with surgery.

PK Gaming

Nagito has Frontotemporal Dementia

Life expectancy is pretty low if you have this, but knowing Nagito's luck...

i Would read that

UberTag

This is clearly the cry of despair of someone who thinks it's safe to hop into the thread between the time a new episode airs and the English-translated sub goes live on FUNimation's website thinking they won't be spoiled on anything major.

Puruzi

Banned
This is clearly the cry of despair of someone who thinks it's safe to hop into the thread between the time a new episode airs and the English-translated sub goes live on FUNimation's website thinking they won't be spoiled on anything major.

I don't care about spoilers soo?

I saw that Seiko died on /a/ and i'm salty that she's gone.

UberTag

Now that they've finally addressed and resolved the trio rivalry with Seiko's death, we really need to see some progress in the quarrel between Hiro and Helicopter-chan because I can't deal with any more scenes of Hagakure being shot at with missiles and machine gun fire and nothing developing from it.

Detective Kyoko working her way between investigating victims killed in the first couple episodes is getting pretty time-fillery as well.

Also, that post-credits scene was trippy as fuck. Don't accidentally bypass that one.

Damn.

It's not that unexpected, but the whole shebang with Munakata was crazy. I used to think of him as a guy with a saner version of Komaeda's logic, so I can't wait to see how Despair got to him. And of course, anyone from the Seiko group was going to die, but I wasn't thinking she was going to bite it.. We went full shonen in that plot, so I hope we dial down the crazy for a while (or at least until Munakata reveals the mastermind).

Wow I lost all respect for P4 MC, he is gone full despair. RIP Seiko :(

All likeable characters are dropping like flies. Guess all assholes are surviving.

UberTag

Wow I lost all respect for P4 MC, he is gone full despair. RIP Seiko :(
tumblr_oblje9bxCm1tmhondo2_500.png

Let the good times roll!

Permanently A

I'm gonna guess Tengan lied to Munakata. He died seconds after his answer so there's no way to tell if the poison actually hit him or not. And there's also the question of why Tengan wouldn't tell everyone if he actually knew the mastermind's identity.

FluxWaveZ

So Yu is analogous to Nagito, as a "black hope" Junko mentions in DR:AE. It'd be interesting to see a character that represents "white despair." Kind of the scenario Yu was talking about with the bad guys using Makoto for false hope, but represented within the motivations of a single character.

Also, Yu's lost his mind. They really telegraphed Seiko's death there, but it was obviously done on purpose to add gravitas to all scenes featuring her in the episode.

Not a big fan of the action during this episode. I prefer it when scenes are about characters talking to each other here rather than standstill battles.

Edit: When Seiko burst into the scene of Aoi vs. Boxer, I immediately thought: "There's Makoto's Ultimate Luck." Glad they acknowledged it. Dude's OP.

kewlmyc

So Yu is analogous to Nagito, as a "black hope" Junko mentions in DR:AE. It'd be interesting to see a character that represents "white despair." Kind of the scenario Yu was talking about with the bad guys using Makoto for false hope, but represented within the motivations of a single character.

Also, Yu's lost his mind. They really telegraphed Seiko's death there, but it was obviously done on purpose to add gravitas to all scenes featuring her in the episode.

Not a big fan of the action during this episode. I prefer it when scenes are about characters talking to each other here rather than standstill battles.

Edit: When Seiko burst into the scene of Aoi vs. Boxer, I immediately thought: "There's Makoto's Ultimate Luck." Glad they acknowledged it. Dude's OP.

It was obvious either Ruruka or Seiko was going to die this episode, but I was hoping it would be Ruruka instead. I suppsoe since the whole Ruruka/Sonosuke thing hasn't been dealt with, Seiko was the only choice to die.

Show did a good job making the audience feel for Seiko before she bit the dust.

Also, ever heard of SUGAR FREE CANDY, Ruruka? Could have just made that, you idiot.

Derpot

Juzo and Ruruka are equipped with impervious annoying character armor that deflects any and all attacks inflicted against them.

Urgh, Juzo is such a bitch too. My god, that dude has zero chill.

And I thought Hina was a badass when she was fighting him to protect Makoto. I never liked Hina in DR1 because I thought she was annoying and useless, but I really like her in DR3 !

PK Gaming

DR3 is still very entertaining but man I could not give less of a shit when it came to Ruruka & Seiko's stupid ass conflict. Ruruka's general butthurt over Seiko not eating her candy was probably the dumbest thing and in this anime so far, and it didn't help that I couldn't get invested in either of their characters due to how basic their backstory was. Izayoi is also super disappointing too; amazing design wasted on such a shit character.

On the bright side, Yu Narukami's into Despair is definitely going to shake things up in a good way? I just hope he kills a motherfucker soon.

FluxWaveZ

DR3 is still very entertaining but man I could not give less of a shit when it came to Ruruka & Seiko's stupid ass conflict. Ruruka's general butthurt over Seiko not eating her candy was probably the dumbest thing and in this anime so far, and it didn't help that I couldn't get invested in either of their characters due to how basic their backstory was. Izayoi is also super disappointing too; amazing design wasted on such a shit character.

I really didn't care about the Seiko & Ruruka conflict initially and, ultimately, I didn't much care for it. But there were hints there that could have lead to something greater, like Ruruka's belief that all she has is her talent as a confectioner and anyone who doesn't acknowledge it basically means they view her as nothing. All sorts of self-esteem and self-perception issues going on there that weren't really explored in the way they could be, because it was mostly about Seiko all the time.

Izayoi is absolute cardboard, though. He is currently the least interesting member, by far, out of the entire cast.

UberTag

On the bright side, Yu Narukami's into Despair is definitely going to shake things up in a good way? I just hope he kills a motherfucker soon.
He just killed the most badass character in all of DR3 in Tengan. What more do you want from him?

I really didn't care about the Seiko & Ruruka conflict initially and, ultimately, I didn't much care for it. But there were hints there that could have lead to something greater, like Ruruka's belief that all she has is her talent as a confectioner and anyone who doesn't acknowledge it basically means they view her as nothing. All sorts of self-esteem and self-perception issues going on there that weren't really explored in the way they could be, because it was mostly about Seiko all the time.
I suspect these will still be explored down the road. Izayoi isn't exactly eating her treats any more, either... although we've logically come to the realization that's likely his NG code. That said, there's no reason for Ruruka to interpret that as any different than Seiko refusing them due to a severe life-threatening allergy. Chick's got a damaged psyche.

FluxWaveZ

How Tengang said that Yu "sacrificed" Yukizome was interesting. Wonder if that's actually meaningful. Plus, the dude had Seiko's drugs right after she died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom