• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

I do think so, considering the risk that Kodaka may put onto Spike Chunsoft's biggest franchise. But I can't help to wonder the possibility that he may tie V3 into DR current canon this way, by making it a work of fiction in the new game.

The fallout would be a sight to behold.
You know that actually would be fine.

It would be somewhat of a cheat to make DR3 the anime a work of fiction created by Ryota and use that excuse to handwave away any plot holes and loose ends.

So give us an actual meaningful resolution that makes sense in the established universe based on the rules that you've defined and THEN - post-credits scene of Despair Ep 12 - give us a hook for DRV3 and then have the existing DR3 universe that you've just put a bow around and wrapped up for good referenced as an anime or work of fiction in this NEW universe you're introducing us to. That would work. Have DR3's Ryota Mitarai be the fictional representation of DRV3's protagonist and get us excited to play the new game.

So I'm on board with that. Red herring in terms of its importance to this anime. Maybe not a red herring in terms of hook potential to the next game. I'm all good with that. Even if you're effectively making this a clean break with a reset button for the franchise having a hook isn't bad and this would be one way to take little Easter eggs you've left and work that into a hook.

Capndrake

Future 6

Thought it started off pretty boring but then holy crap everything towards the end.

Kinda glad Sounosuke's finally dead since he was completely useless. Hype for more Byakuya/Toko/Komaru/Hajime in the next ep

Luigi87

Future 6

Holy shit, that episode was HYPE. Spoiler tagging like others as the episode has barely been out at this point (come tonight I won't be, lol)

I got chills when Komaru and Toko appeared. Byakuya was great to see to. Things are really heading toward a climactic final confrontation now.
Also Munakata took Tengan's wrist weapon.

But most importantly... Holy crap it's Izuru and not Hajime @_@

FluxWaveZ

Izayoi managed to be even more pathetically useless and irrelevant than Bandai was, despite living for far longer. Holy crap, what an incredibly boring character. Probably the least interesting Danganronpa character ever created in the history of the series.

Nice to see the Another Episode part kick into full gear. Komaru would be the one to face her own final boss at her own location, after all.

The ending also has really cool implications. A lot of this episode was mostly set-up for things that could be pretty great moving forward.

Permanently A

HOLY SHIT IZURU WHAT THE FUCK

tjfPTaR.jpg

DNAbro

Episode was a lot of set up but man I'm glad they did. So great to see Byakuya again. Also extremely curious who killed Izayoi if Seiko was the victim last time too. Suspects are starting to run out. Unless it is something like the rotating killer thing where it's "kill yourself or someone else", but that doesn't really make sense either. I wonder what Monaca's game and true purpose is.

Also Hajime is still in Izuru mode so I assume all the survivors of DR2 are in Despair mode. That makes the ending of that game a lot less hope filled.

Also Hajime is still in Izuru mode so I assume all the survivors of DR2 are in Despair mode. That makes the ending of that game a lot less hope filled.
there has to be something else to that, as it retcons the final scene of DR2 completely with Hajime standing there all fine and hopeful, and it wouldnt make sense for makoto/kirigiri/togami to just leave the island if the DR2 cast that was awoken were all fucked up and dangerous

Izayoi managed to be even more pathetically useless and irrelevant than Bandai was, despite living for far longer. Holy crap, what an incredibly boring character. Probably the least interesting Danganronpa character ever created in the history of the series.

Nice to see the Another Episode part kick into full gear. Komaru would be the one to face her own final boss at her own location, after all.

The ending also has really cool implications. A lot of this episode was mostly set-up for things that could be pretty great moving forward.

I kinda get the feeling that it's transitioning away from this being a contained Mutual Killing Game (now that all the unimportant characters are ded) to more of a climactic Grand Finale, with multiple players all at once.

What should we make about Monokuma and/or Monaca lying about broadcasting the Killing Game? Does this have implications about the game's actual intent?

there has to be something else to that, as it retcons the final scene of DR2 completely with Hajime standing there all fine and hopeful, and it wouldnt make sense for makoto/kirigiri/togami to just leave the island if the DR2 cast that was awoken were all fucked up and dangerous

Maybe it's like a Demon Mode Hajime has control over, like say Sayaka has over her witch in Madoka Rebellion.

The ending suggests something I've suspected was true. That the RoD survivors weren't forcibly overwritten or deleted by their sim avatars but made a conscious decision to reform after partially or fully remembering the events of the simulation.

The person at the end of SDR2 and this episode isn't Hajime but an Izuru trying his damndest to retake his identity, even with the (permanent) brain modifications. That's what I think at least.

FluxWaveZ

I wouldn't say it'd be an outright retcon if it actually was Hajime having reverted back to Despair; I think there could be different, valid ways to take that ending in retrospect depending on what happened next.

The possibility is open, however, that it's not that he's completely Izuru again, but a hybrid of how Hajime was originally and what he became when he was Izuru. A mixture of both. Or it's Hajime just being really bored of being trapped on an island, heh.

The ending suggests something I've suspected was true. That the RoD survivors weren't forcibly overwritten or deleted by their sim avatars but made a conscious decision to reform after partially or fully remembering the events of the simulation.

This is what would make the most sense with the concept of rehabilitation.

Luigi87

The person at the end of SDR2 and this episode isn't Hajime but an Izuru trying his damndest to retake his identity, even with the (permanent) brain modifications. That's what I think at least.

See that I think you're correct about.
While his hair was short and he looked like Hajime again, the fact that we only ever saw his back added a bit of mystery.

DNAbro

I can live with that. But I'm super curious the implications of what that actually means for the show.

Also fuck Munakata. Guy is just the worst. Also realized Juzo is the only one we didn't see his location in this episode. Everyone else is either dead or grouped up or Munakata.

Luigi87

I just wanna know why Munakata had the urge to stab his katana into Chisa's body (get your minds out of the gutter). I'm missing the symbolism here.
... at least he finally called her Chisa I guess <_<

Oh man, we're finally going to get to see the DR2 characters in their post-despair forms. Also what was up with the real Miyabi being murdered? Her neck was twisted a full 180 degrees and there was no sign of a wheelchair in sight.

What. The. Fuck. This is either top level trolling, or we're in for some real twists.

Luigi87

Oh man, we're finally going to get to see the DR2 characters in their post-despair forms. Also what was up with the real Miyabi being murdered? Her neck was twisted a full 180 degrees and there was no sign of a wheelchair in sight.

What. The. Fuck. This is either top level trolling, or we're in for some real twists.

Same way all the security guards were found dead in the first episode.
As for her chair, I imagine Robo-Gekkogahara is sitting in it... with upgrades.

Also, though he's dead so it's not him, it just reminds me that snapping someone's neck and spinning it 180 degrees was the same way Matsuda killed Kamishiro in DR/0.

Kizakura is such an ass trying to provoke Kirigiri. Also loved Monaca remark about Naegi being a loser lol. Pretty sure Ruruka killed Izayoi after she found Seiko dead.

I always found P4 MC extreme actions suspicious in light of the fact that the killing game is being broadcast to the world. It seemed bad PR to the Future Foundation. Now that we know that there isnt a broadcast...

Pretty exciting that things are heading to a grand finale with all the characters.

FluxWaveZ

Seriously my heart stopped for a moment in that scene.

Really? I thought that scene being a nightmare segment was incredibly obvious. Especially after the Asahina cop out. There was no build up to that scene. No real lead-in, no rising tension, and there was no real context for it. Then we've got Yu Narukami appearing prim and clean when we saw that he was physically messed up in scenes immediately before it.

Kizakura is such an ass trying to provoke Kirigiri. Also loved Monaca remark about Naegi being a loser lol. Pretty sure Ruruka killed Izayoi after she found Seiko dead.

I always found P4 MC extreme actions suspicious in light of the fact that the killing game is being broadcast to the world. It seemed bad PR to the Future Foundation. Now that we know that there isnt a broadcast...

Pretty exciting that things are heading to a grand finale with all the characters.

Pretty sure about that too. I think she forcefed him candy and when he died of poison, she wiped away the blood from his eye, covered the discoloration with makeup, and used the missing knife from Seiko's corpse to frame the traitor.

That's why she just so happened to be near his corpse and obviously tried to delay Kirigiri's investigation.

Really? I thought that scene being a nightmare segment was incredibly obvious. Especially after the Asahina cop out. There was no build up to that scene. No real lead-in, no rising tension, and there was no real context for it. Then we've got Yu Narukami appearing prim and clean when we saw that he was physically messed up in scenes immediately before it.

Yeah when Munakata appeared I got it was a dream.

Pretty sure about that too. I think she forcefed him candy and when he died of poison, she wiped away the blood from his eye, covered the discoloration with makeup, and used the missing knife from Seiko's corpse to frame the traitor.

That's why she just so happened to be near his corpse and obviously tried to delay Kirigiri's investigation.

Wow in that first screencap you can really see it the eye with a tiny bit of blood. Dat detail.

Luigi87

That... Makes a lot of sense. I was also thinking Ruruka did it, but I had never considered the extend she could go to.

Yeah it was definitely obvious, especially since one should have had a general idea of their positions after the last ep.
Being said, gotta hope it isn't foreshadowing, lol

Ruruka almost definitely had a hand in Izayoi's death, intentionally or not. She wasn't acting nearly as distraught as I would have imagined she'd be had somebody else done him in. Her first instinct upon running into Kyoko's group should have been suspicion (unless she already knows exactly why he's dead).

Wow in that first screencap you can really see it the eye with a tiny bit of blood. Dat detail.

Yep. I thought for sure Izayoi would die when his NG code and Ruruka's obsession clashed so I was kinda shocked...until someone pointed out the hint of blood under his eye. Then everything fit.

maybe he wasnt murdered but killed himself after seeing seiko murdered, with ruruka basically agreeing to it by giving him the candy. She definitely had a hand in it regardless (I'm totally throwing shit off the wall based on spoiler impressions anyway as I havent watched it)

T-Rex.

Banned
Future #6

SHIT SON, THAT WAS HYPE.
Komaru, Byakuya, Toko cameos but also IZURU!!! So fucking good.

Also yeah, Ruruka definitely killed Izayoi.

Permanently A

Holy shit nice. I went back to episode 5 and the same knife is in Seiko's corpse. Definite cover up. Ruruka winning worst girl with flying colors.

Shame that Sonosuke's excellent design had to be wasted on a character who ended up accomplishing dick-all. After last episode I was hoping that he'd break off from Ruruka and either do his own thing or join up with Makoto's group as their muscle. Alas, he died an obvious death that will only serve to make an unlikable character less likable.

The other day I was wondering how they were going to stretch the story out for 7 more episodes considering how few characters are left, but the introduction of the Towa City and Jabberwock Island plot threads are sure to give it more than enough substance. Here's hoping this ep's meticulous amount of setup pays off soon.

Isn't it only the second time that the murdered-scream audio clip thing was played, upon discovering Izayoi's body? Maybe anyone who is killed by someone who isn't the attacker gets that scream.

Rich!

next episode is gonna be fucking insane

- togami being awesome

- genocide jill

- multiple towa corp built monokumas are likely too (going by the monaca scenes and komaru's disable gun). toko and komaru will obviously zone in on monaca

- war on jabberwock island. izuru/hinata means we will see the other survivors and likely NAGITOOOOOOOOOOO. and all in despair mode?!?! what the fuck!!

- persona 4 main character is going crazy and he definitely knows the truth. chisa was alive - thats why he ended her with the sword. kirigiri knows but can't tell anyone.

- yasuhiro will likely land a record breaking catch

shit is so fucking hype its unreal

Well. I'm kinda sorry for having doubted them until now because this episode was fucking insane and I really can't wait for next Monday now.

Just... everything. It was magnificent. I'm ready, but I'm also not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom