• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldStarz

Actually, no. This thread is meant to be spoiler tag free. I get that some people are being overly courteous, but generally these types of show threads don't demand spoiler tags for things as they air.

It's a open-spoiler for anything released before DR3. Read the spoiler warning again and that's pretty clear.

It's a open-spoiler for anything released before DR3. Read the spoiler warning again and that's pretty clear.

It says consider everything fair game, but specifies that maybe pre-screening and magazine stuff could be spoiler tagged.

Again though, seems a bit asinine to spoiler tag everything as it happens. No other show OT that I've been in demands that you do it for something as it airs. Normally only preview material or legitimate spoilers get spoiler tag treatment.

Puruzi

Banned
Spoiler tagging things after the episode airs is dumb because anyone that doesn't want to be spoiled shouldn't enter the thread before watching the episode

Just T

Despair Volume: 1

Neat opening and ending. It's good to see some of these characters again, never cared much for a good bit of the DR2 cast. This was still a fun episode though and looking forward to seeing how things go from here.

Rich!

Ridiculous. Once an episode airs, it's fair game in any other TV show thread so why not here?

Regional time differences isn't an excuse, its available worldwide within a mere couple of hours of the Japanese airing.

I won't be spoiler tagging anything from now on anyhow, it's a pain in the ass on mobile.

Y'all thinking too small when it comes to Chiaki

What if she didn't die and instead also became a despair unknown to the FF and is responsible for the game in DR3?

as long as she is saved by "you all know who " and
ditches the despair side , i'll be up for it....just no more alter egos .. PLEASE

Thud

Lerche upped their game again. Looks pretty good. Pleasantly surprised they do 2 eps per week.

I should probably read up on danganronpa gaiden as well.

Making theories:

I feel like Chisa is going to end up as the mastermind behind the Future arc somehow. It would be neat twist to reveal near the end of the Despair arc that she was converted into ultimate despair as well, but undercover one.

Sorry for the double post.

So, Chisa appeared in the theater after being killed. That basically confirms they are experiencing a simulator again, right?

So far, they could have done a game of this. I thought they were going for an anime adaptation because of Junko's situation.

I really don't think it would be a simulator, that seems a bit much. However my brother has had the same theory that she is still alive and behind this. In some ways I would appreciate that because it would mean no Junko for sure, however I took the theater thing as just a silly storytelling conceit, not her literally sitting in a movie theater somewhere. I really liked both episodes so far, but looking at Funimation the Despair side has really low user ratings. What's up with that?

I wish this had the game Dubs but because it doesn't I will be watching it as it airs. Is a Funimation subscription the only way to do so?

Also I can't handle JP Monokuma's upuupuu...

Rich!

How anyone can prefer the USA dubs is beyond me. But that's just my personal preference.

USA monokuma is horrible IMO and the rest are all generic American voices. Nothing that matches the majesty of the JP Nidai and Gundham VAs

And at least the JP voice actors have stayed consistent throughout all media. USA dubs by comparison seems a clusterfuck

Anyhow, I'm just a subs over dubs kind of guy anyway - it's not just limited to Danganronpa for me.

The dub for the DR games is fine (anime was trash) but I vastly prefer the subs

Megumi Ogata and Miyuki Sawashiro >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> All'

Toko is probably my favorite Sawashiro role since its a very un-Sawashiro role and she gets to go nuts

How anyone can prefer the USA dubs is beyond me. But that's just my personal preference.

USA monokuma is horrible IMO and the rest are all generic American voices. Nothing that matches the majesty of the JP Nidai and Gundham VAs

I think Kazuichi's voice is better than the Japanese dub, though the Japanese dub is still good.

FStubbs

The dub for the DR games is fine (anime was trash) but I vastly prefer the subs

Megumi Ogata and Miyuki Sawashiro >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> All'

Toko is probably my favorite Sawashiro role since its a very un-Sawashiro role and she gets to go nuts

The dub game voice for Celeste was otherworldly.

Rich!

I'm slowly moving back onto my theory that Chiaki is Miaya in disguise. Maybe she was forced into disguise after the tragedy of hopes peak?

- helped design the NWP (it's confirmed that miaya did), and her form as a school student was placed into the world as an AI with the help of Chihiro

- a new theory is that usami was based on Chisa. Who has experience with Chisa? Chiaki. Who is back in Future arc? Usami (monomi).

- Obvious hint that something is up with Miaya with her face half covered and a mystery VA pointed out to us.

- Miaya isn't Monaca. The timeframe from UDG to Future doesn't add up and someone would have noticed by now. By contrast, the FF have no reason to have any issue with Miaya actually being Chiaki.

Bookmark this post, people. You know, for when I'm proved right. Maybe. I mean really, theyve bought Chiaki back for a reason - and kokada and co want us to think it's for the reason of killing her off again. There's a reason Chiaki is so prominent in all of this, and I think Miaya is why as well as the remaining link to tie both arcs together.

And at least the JP voice actors have stayed consistent throughout all media. USA dubs by comparison seems a clusterfuck

Anyhow, I'm just a subs over dubs kind of guy anyway - it's not just limited to Danganronpa for me.
I always thought he was a good mix of Spongebob and Mickey Mouse, which given Monokuma's JP voice sounds like Doraemon but is saying all these fucked up things was exactly on point.

I mean really, theyve bought Chiaki back for a reason
And that reason probably amounts to 'waifus'.

Rich!

I always thought he was a good mix of Spongebob and Mickey Mouse, which given Monokuma's JP voice sounds like Doraemon but is saying all these fucked up things was exactly on point.

I just heard Teddie from Persona 4. Happy go lucky and horribly misplaced.

Whereas JP monokuma fills you with a sense of dread and unease. It's weird and disconcerting.

FluxWaveZ

I just heard Teddie from Persona 4. Happy go lucky and horribly misplaced.

Whereas JP monokuma fills you with a sense of dread and unease. It's weird and disconcerting.

Happy go lucky and horribly misplaced was the exact design decision behind the original Japanese voice of Monokuma. It's why Kodaka stated that Doraemon voiced the character, after all.

Rich!

Happy go lucky and horribly misplaced was the exact design decision behind the original Japanese voice of Monokuma. It's why Kodaka stated that Doraemon voiced the character, after all.

yeah, as makoto's first impressions tell in DR1, but the difference is that the JP version has a sinister edge to it (imo) that just elevates the whole thing whereas the US version makes me want to punch someone. there's also the fact that the doreamon link is something very JP centric that not many others would pick up on - despite the JP monokuma having a real sinister edge to it, people there would still associate it with doreamon

But again, I have my own preferences. Over the years, I've grown to dislike almost all US dubs with a passion. They're just obnoxious to me.

Thud

yeah, as makoto's first impressions tell in DR1, but the difference is that the JP version has a sinister edge to it (imo) that just elevates the whole thing whereas the US version makes me want to punch someone. there's also the fact that the doreamon link is something very JP centric that not many others would pick up on - despite the JP monokuma having a real sinister edge to it, people there would still associate it with doreamon

But again, I have my own preferences. Over the years, I've grown to dislike almost all US dubs with a passion. They're just obnoxious to me.

I agree with the punching lol. Everyone has their tastes. That both are available for the games is a plus, people can choose.

The new monokuma is a bit on the soft side, but hey maybe that ties in with the story. What struck me out as weird was that the first murder was a random security guy.

As for the despair arc. Can't believe I got tricked again by the ultimate imposter... Thought Mitarai slimmed down with despair later. And doesn't the reserve student uniform look a lot like the future foundation suit. Maybe I'm just making those connections myself after catching up.

It got me pretty hyped, so I just read Killer Killer. That certainly went places and now I'm even more hyped, this franchise will be the end of me...

Rich!

I agree with the punching lol. Everyone has their tastes. That both are available for the games is a plus, people can choose.

The new monokuma is a bit on the soft side, but hey maybe that ties in with the story. What struck me out as weird was that the first murder was a random security guy.

yep, if the us dub makes more people play the games then it's a win

and well...the new monokuma isn't junko anymore, so I guess it makes sense. The only Monokuma we've seen so far is the real junko in DR1 and AI Junko in DR2. I'm guessing this Monokuma is a different mastermind altogether. But then again, the fact Monomi is coming back kinda pushes the theory that this Monokuma in Despair arc is indeed still an AI and restricted to the screens.

One thing I noticed that I found funny was Makoto's shock exclamation of "but junko enoshima is dead!!" I guess he forgot about Shirokuma and Kurokuma quickly enough.

KanameYuuki

I'm so glad that I'm not LTTP with Danganronpa at least, I'm not good making conclusions or theories but I sure love to read how everyone thinks so differently about the same topic or better yet when some come to the same conclusion.

Couldn't help watching the first episodes of both Sides with a sad smile : ( I don't want to watch anyone else die and I know the story won't end with a happy ending, I just like to watch happy stuff but I just can't ignore that masochist feeling from this series.

It says consider everything fair game, but specifies that maybe pre-screening and magazine stuff could be spoiler tagged.

Again though, seems a bit asinine to spoiler tag everything as it happens. No other show OT that I've been in demands that you do it for something as it airs. Normally only preview material or legitimate spoilers get spoiler tag treatment.

Spoiler tagging things after the episode airs is dumb because anyone that doesn't want to be spoiled shouldn't enter the thread before watching the episode

That's what I thought. ^^

Namikaze

I'm watching the show on Funimation's site...there are two episodes up and one is listed as despair arc ep.1 while the other is future arc ep. 13 lol. I was confused until I read this thread, thought I missed something.

One thing I noticed that I found funny was Makoto's shock exclamation of "but junko enoshima is dead!!" I guess he forgot about Shirokuma and Kurokuma quickly enough.

Except that the Future Foundation doesn't know that they were the Junko AI because Izuru retrieved both memory chips shortly after Big Bang Monokuma's demise. Probably Komaru may make the connection, as she confronted Kurokuma and Shirokuma in the final battles of Another Episode.

Rich!

Except that the Future Foundation doesn't know that they were the Junko AI because Izuru retrieved both memory chips shortly after Big Bang Monokuma's demise. Probably Komaru may make the connection, as she confronted Kurokuma and Shirokuma in the final battles of Another Episode.

Nononono you totally missed my point.

I'm not talking about the future foundation. I'm on about Makoto. He's in utter shock that a monokuma can be around yet seemingly forgot about shiro/kuro.

GoldStarz

I'm not talking about the future foundation. I'm on about Makoto. He's in utter shock that a monokuma can be around yet seemingly forgot about shiro/kuro.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand he never knew about Shiro and Kurokuma.

Like even that they existed at all unless Komaru or Toko mentioned them to Byakuya.

He had literally zero knowledge of them, let alone that Junko inhabited them. The only person who knew that is Izuru and Monaca might have pieced it together by the very end.

Does he even know about Shiro and Kuro? Most people treated them as after thoughts during the chaos at the end. I'm not even sure if Toko or Komaru noticed that Shiro fell out of Big Bang Monokuma.

And as Sky said, I don't think anyone except for Izuru made the connection that the Kumas=Junko.

Rich!

He doesn't know about Shiro and Kuro.

You're saying there's absolutely zero chance toko, Byakuya or his SISTER told him about them? ....I douuuuuuubt that.

And you're all still missing the point. Oh man. I'm simply remarking that Makoto is shocked that a monokuma still exists, acting of its free will, when not much time before there were two of them doing just the same, also after Junkos death.

Ahhhhh whatever.

GoldStarz

Wha the fuck is Killer Killer and how do I read it

Killer Killer is an ongoing manga set before SDR2 about the Special Case Bureau, a subdivision the 6th Division under Jyuzo that investigates especially bizarre and brutal crimes. The main character is Takumi Hijihara the titular Killer Killer (but people who played the English dub of the games might know him as Sparkling Justice). The first two chapters seem to have nothing to do with DR until the big reveal in the third chapter.

There's a tumblr called SHSL-Scans that posts scanlations of the chapters after they come out, right now it's up to date with Chapter 5.

People who read the manga probably saw Jyuzo's punching Makoto in the gut a mile away because the manga makes it clear that he REALLY spites the guy.

T-Rex.

Banned
USA dubs by comparison seems a clusterfuck
EYvfOzn.png

No, that's wrong!

The anime dub for DR1 is trash, but the dub for both games is pretty good. Monokuma especially sounds a lot better dubbed, but it comes down to personal preference I suppose.

FStubbs

Her despair design will be a dead body

Despair Chiaki would be one of the deadliest members of the group.

She's Ultimate Gamer, right? Not Ultimate *video* gamer, though those are her favorite.

What is Danganronpa ultimately?

She'd trap people and make them play all kinds of sadistic death games.

Liked both episodes.

Future > Despair though because of Super Duper Pharmacist.

You know she is a straight up killa !

Despair Arc has Ultimate Waifu actually alive and Chiaki though.

FStubbs

You're saying there's absolutely zero chance toko, Byakuya or his SISTER told him about them? ....I douuuuuuubt that.

And you're all still missing the point. Oh man. I'm simply remarking that Makoto is shocked that a monokuma still exists, acting of its free will, when not much time before there were two of them doing just the same, also after Junkos death.

Ahhhhh whatever.

Even if they did, neither Byakuya nor Komaru knew they were both actually Junko. As far as Makoto knows, Junko AI perished in SDR2.

EYvfOzn.png

No, that's wrong!

The anime dub for DR1 is trash, but the dub for both games is pretty good. Monokuma especially sounds a lot better dubbed, but it comes down to personal preference I suppose.

I think DR1's was the weaker one, though it had several standout performances (I like Celeste's obviously fake generic 'European' accent, does her Seiyuu do something similar in the Japanese dub?). DR2 was stronger overall though.

One thing that stood out to me about Funi's dub sucking is like Mondo, In NISA's dub he has a legit tough dude voice; for the Funi dub they basically went, "Hey this guy kinda looks like Kuwabara from Yu Yu Hakusho, let's have Chris Sabat do his Kuwabara voice again!"

Rich!

Even if they did, neither Byakuya nor Komaru knew they were both actually Junko. As far as Makoto knows, Junko AI perished in SDR2.

But it being Junko is irrelevant. There is evidence that monokumas can exist despite Junko being dead.

As a Future Foundation head, Makoto would be aware of that - especially when the info came from his sister and classmates.

GoldStarz

But it being Junko is irrelevant. There is evidence that monokumas can exist despite Junko being dead.

As a Future Foundation head, Makoto would be aware of that - especially when the info came from his sister and classmates.

Yeah but even in those circumstances

1) Shiro and Kurokuma don't look like Monokuma
2) Shiro and Kurokuma outright told people they had a special AI that let them act independently.
3) Junko is the only one to remotely control Monokuma for how he's acting in Future Arc.

He's not saying "holy fuck it's a monokuma" those fuckers are everywhere. He's saying "holy fuck it's a seemingly autonomous monokuma that so far only junko has been behind she should be dead"

Oh also Makoto isn't the FF head of Division 14, Kyoko is.

Rich!

Yeah but even in those circumstances

1) Shiro and Kurokuma don't look like Monokuma
2) Shiro and Kurokuma outright told people they had a special AI that let them act independently.
3) Junko is the only one to remotely control Monokuma for how he's acting in Future Arc.

He's not saying "holy fuck it's a monokuma" those fuckers are everywhere. He's saying "holy fuck it's a seemingly autonomous monokuma that so far only junko has been behind she should be dead"

Oh also Makoto isn't the FF head of Division 14, Kyoko is.

Oh my god

I made a simple comment that I found amusing and everyone's picking the ever loving shit out of it. Let's just leave it.

h0tp0ck3t

I'm slowly moving back onto my theory that Chiaki is Miaya in disguise. Maybe she was forced into disguise after the tragedy of hopes peak?

- helped design the NWP (it's confirmed that miaya did), and her form as a school student was placed into the world as an AI with the help of Chihiro

Ha I knew I wasnt the only one!

Permanently A

Metroid maybe have a warning in the OP to watch in the order of Future then Despair, because of the way they spoiled Chisa's death. I know a few people finishing DR2 right now to watch dr3 later

Rich!

... Are spoiler tags not working or do we have untagged spoilers in an OT

The episode has aired. It's free game.

If you haven't seen the episode, don't go into the OT until you have! That's the rules everywhere else on the board in every single other OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom