• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonnax

One of the things I really like about Danganronpa is how ridiculous it all is whilst it is a universe of consistency.

Capndrake

Despair 9

Holy shit at what happened to Chisa :( I guess it's confirmed she's the mastermind or DR1 Junko now?

Completely convinced all the time limit deaths in Future are suicides now.

Demoli

Despair 9

Jesus the first half of this episode was heavy af. Had me wincing at thsoe scenes. Chisa is so gonna be the mastermind and i guess Mindhack is confirmed for the SDR2 cast, shame.

Impostor finally breaking character completely was great.

h0tp0ck3t

So Chiaki being trapped in the room with Despair Chisa. Since it seems Chisa is going to end up the future mastermind would it make sense she recruits Chiaki to become the attacker?

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Rules of despair 9
Goddammit so may death in this episode. I guess we find out why Kyoko don't want to tell everyone her NG :/

:(
Ua0lcLP.jpg

Damn. :(

We are sorry to inform you that the launch of Danganronpa 3 Despair Arc Episode 9 has been delayed. The episode will launch at 6:00 PM Eastern on September 8. Sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience.

Despair 9

Well, for all intents and purposes it seems the brainwash will happen. Shame, but it keeps with Junko's opinion of the Remnants of Despair in the last trial of Danganronpa 2. If anything, it seems like Komaeda will be unnaffected by the video.
And after that tease about Chiaki's death, we got confirmation of Chisa's true allegiances. She must be revealed in the next Future arc as part of the conspirators of the Final Mutual Killing, but I don't see her as the mastermind. I wonder if that theory about Chisa = DR1 Junko will be true. But damn at that A Clockwork Orange shoutout with extra trepanation; it seems that Junko got notes from Matsuda's research before Zero, but watching Mukuro casually handling someone's brain like that was morbid.
Aside from that, I don't see the anime reaching beyond Zero's beginning. Whatever happened between Juzo and Junko will have to wait until next week, and we are going to see resolution on both Nanami's fate and Mitarai's recruiment. Considering we have two more episodes and the VA special, I believe the plot will finish there.

Despair 9

I'm less suspicious of Mitarai in Future after this episode. He certainly seems to be despairing, but it's not really "that" kind of despair. Chisa, however, is 100% involved in some shady shit now.

Juzo had imo the best scene of the episode, when he nonchalantly threw his jacket on a student. Ugh, I can't believe I like him now.

Also, how in hell did Junko got scot free after all the shit she has pulled?
I believe she said in DR1 that nobody knew she was involved until the reveal in the final trial, and she was of the few people that was saved by Jin Kirigiri when closing the school and converting the old building into a shelter. It doesn't make sense when you consider Munakata's investigation and her parading her exploits like it is nothing important. Hell, why would Matsuda be allowed to interrogate her when his connection to her may have been also revealed by Kyosuke?

MANUELF

Banned
Despair 9
HOW is it possible that Junko was still considered a hope and be allowed with the rest of the 78 class inside the bunker?
Also it seems the 77 class will fall to despair before Danganronpa 0 start, I surely didnt expect that
Chisa is now full despair so surely she was despair in the future episodes

Yeah, I just watched it in PS4 app.

Chisa is probably my favorite thing to come out of this anime tbh. Big things probably in store for her in regards to both arcs.

Busaiku

Despair 5

So Yukizome tells Hinata he's not worthless, but the rest of the reserve class is the worst time of her life huh.

Nohar

Despair 9 :

That was seriously disturbing. I need to unwatch/unhear that scene (you know the one). Fuck.

I want the first despair episodes' mood back ;_;

Rich!

So mukuro lobotomising Chisa was pretty fucking rough

I think it's time to rewatch episode 1 of future again. She's obviously in on it all. And the first scene of despair too...

Brainwashing is like the lamest fucking reason for this entire series to have happened. It's almost as bad as MIND HACK. Whatever idea you had in your head after DR2 was probably better then this. With all the subtle work that went into the FTE and characters, there were routes for all of them to turn Despair without some lame-ass catch all way. It's also way past ridiculous now that Junko gets away with all the shit she does. Like how the fuck does Jin not know she's evil but everyone else does?

Izuru's role in this show is just sad. He does nothing.

I'm starting to be glad that they didn't do a game for 3 if this was the idea. I'm ready for hopes peak and hope vs despair to be abandoned in V3 so we can move on. This is just kinda lame now.

Tecl0n

Brainwashing is so meh.

But GODDAMN that Saint Seiya reference. Paying respects to GOAT anime. (DR2 had one as well, so it's not so crazy)

And the unwitting instigators of the End of the World are, not surprisingly, the Steering Committee.

the steering committee are unsurprisingly terrible

oh yeah, you have to accept this student regardless of how evil or terrible they are, but they become your problem after you are forced to accept them, kbye

Brainwashing is like the lamest fucking reason for this entire series to have happened. It's almost as bad as MIND HACK. Whatever idea you had in your head after DR2 was probably better then this. With all the subtle work that went into the FTE and characters, there were routes for all of them to turn Despair without some lame-ass catch all way. It's also way past ridiculous now that Junko gets away with all the shit she does. Like how the fuck does Jin not know she's evil but everyone else does?

Izuru's role in this show is just sad. He does nothing.

I'm starting to be glad that they didn't do a game for 3 if this was the idea. I'm ready for hopes peak and hope vs despair to be abandoned in V3 so we can move on. This is just kinda lame now.

Can't help but pretty much agree. It seems like there was a good reason why DR0 and SDR2 left so many details really vague.

Eumi

Wow this despair stuff is seriously awful at this point. Every addition to the lore makes it worse, and it's just trying to be needlessly edgy in a very un-Danganronpa like way. When Junko first showed up in this thing she was fun to watch. Now, she's just a villain-sue. We know she wins, and we know she's dead, so why the fuck do we have to sit here and watch this crap? We get it, Junko is the bestest ever.

There wasn't even anything that bad in this episode, it's just been the tipping point for me. I don't think the brainwashing stuff is even that bad, but it's emblematic of everything wrong with despair. Everything this anime shows us was better in our heads. All this added was a fucking edge factor sharp enough to cut diamonds.

I'm still enjoying future quite a bit, but at this point I almost feel like I just want to stop. I'm being told that in order to watch the finale of Danganronpa every week, I have to sit through 24 minutes of watching characters I like have awful things happen to them for no reason. And that lack of reason is the biggest problem.

Bad emotions and awful things in media are supposed to fulfill a purpose. To pull an example out of my ass, I just finished reading all of Berserk that is available to me 2 days ago, and that had some of the most awful, most horrible stuff in it I've ever read. But it was all to fill a purpose. The bad in that manga exists to counteract the good. It's a driving force for the characters and the plot. You want to see the characters remove themselves from the situations they're in because you experienced it alongside them.

Danganronpa 1 & 2 understood this. The murders, the executions, the lows of the series all exist for a reason: so the player continues to want to beat the game and have the remaining cast escape. In DR2, the reveal that the characters are Ultimate Despair was the lowest point in the game. It came after a spiral of trippy visuals and disturbing themes, after the death of a character who was designed specifically to endear to the player. It's a gut-punch at the end of a long series of blows, and it's thanks to that that the ending of DR2 works so well.

I've mentioned before how much I love DR2's ending, but it's honestly mostly because it's a shining beacon of hope at the end of a long spiral of despair. It justifies every bad feeling I felt playing that game, it's an emotional release where both the player and the characters they care about reach the moment they've been searching for, and as a bonus it's executed brilliantly and makes excellent use of the UI and mechanics the series is known for.

Here however? There's none of that. It's all lows, a long, endless series of bad images and crappy justifications. Kamukura isn't interesting. Junko isn't interesting. Time that could be spent getting to know these characters, characters that could not be explored fully in just the games, is wasted on watching teenagers murder each other with barely implied justification. This show thinks it can show a slightly bloody picture of someone's mother or mumble something about brainwashing before showing us something awful and it'll have the same effect as Gundhams execution. Or the discovery of Sayaka's body.

I'm sure some people will say that's the point, that this is the 'Despair' side after all. But you know what? That doesn't make it good. When I think of Danganronpa, I should get a twisted feeling, a feeling of a theme park mixed with a horror film. But when I think of Danganronpa 3, I just feel bad. I don't know, maybe it's my fault, maybe I'm just not the person this anime is for. I never cared about the past of the DR2 cast or the conclusion to Makotos story, I just feel like I should watch it because it has the word Danganronpa on it.

I'm sure this ramble is way too long and confusing and probably contradicts itself somewhere, but I just felt like I had to write my thoughts down somehow.

Despair episode 9 Goddamn that was something
The moment where Chisa was forced to witness a reserve course student hacking himself with a saw and the torture brainwash on her was quite hard to watch.

Based on that smile at the end, it is identical to Junko's so is Chisa the mastermind of future arc then, because it seems like it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom