• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amani

They need to make a danganronpa spin-off by platinum

With mechogahara, beast seiko, izuru and genocide Jill as playable characters.

When's the Arc System Works fighting game? We have enough characters doing ridiculous anime fighting stuff thanks to DR3.

I hope Izuru murders the shit out of Chiaki next episode, full on Ruruka.

I also hope they show Kyoko alive only for Monokuma to pop out and laugh his ass off, saying he was just trolling.

I should submit my resume for ultimate despair.

h0tp0ck3t

I hope Izuru murders the shit out of Chiaki next episode, full on Ruruka.

giphy.gif

PaulBizkit

I'm up to date with Despair Arc and JUST finished watching Future Arc episode 1...

It sucks that
monokuma and asahina
don't have the game's voice, does anybody know why is that??

I'm up to date with Despair Arc and JUST finished watching Future Arc episode 1...

It sucks that
monokuma and asahina

Assuming you're talking about the dub, the first anime was being dubbed around the same time as the games, so I guess they didn't coordinate with NISA on voice actors because the entire cast from the first game was different besides Makoto. And in Dr3 they just stuck with most of their recasts, although a few VAs who worked on the first game are in as different characters. As for the few DR2 characters that didn't carry over I'm guessing either scheduling conflicts on union/non-union shenanigans.

Paltheos

It sucks that
monokuma and asahina

? Asahina's voice is the same. Chiwa Saito's voiced her in everything. Monokuma has a new VA because the old actress, Nobuyo Oyama, came down with (has been suffering for some unspecified amount of time?) dementia and can no longer perform the role.

Permanently A

It sucks that
monokuma and asahina

be careful dude, this thread is up to date with the japanese version so there are a bunch of spoilers for up to episode 9 of future arc and up to episode 8 of despair

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I'm going to hell for this because it's probably an animation error (next week will undo this little search of mine of course), but in trying to see if there were hints of an Asahina switch, I noticed her shoes in episode 9 seemed to lack laces from what I could find.

Episode 3
IySBRnn.jpg

Episode 4
jHpiIHT.jpg

Episode 5
YeVbdiz.jpg

Episode 6
08WoQkl.jpg

Could not find a good shot of shoes in Episode 7 or 8

Episode 9
sIn6Zgw.jpg

Also, in rewatching the episodes looking for shoes, this shot stood out to me.

Z1RdvQG.jpg

It's probably nothing and I will likely be proven wrong next week but goddamn it it was fun hunting down these screenshots anyway. It's about the journey right? ;P

It sucks that
monokuma and asahina

They decided to keep the same voice actors from the first anime they dubbed so they didn't ruin the continuity between the animes voices. I prefer the game voices too, but aside from Monokuma they're not too bad.

Also, for future reference, despite Funi's numbering you're meant to be watching Future 1 > Despair 1 > Future 2 > Despair 2, etc.

NEO0MJ

Its has been on a decline. Considering where it was a year ago(125), it is crap (currently it is about 102 give or take). Which is what i was talking about.

I see. Haven't been buying much recently so I never kept tracked. Regardless, this is still better than the days where the exchange was 65 or so. Those were dark times.

Thinking about it, I'll probably start hating this anime when it is done.

I hate so many things they did to some of my favorites from the game, but it is still entertaining.

The anime shit is probably the tipping point, to be honest... I wanted the DR2 cast to be sympathetic, but they had to paid for their actions. Instead this brainwashing throws all feelings of guilt to just blame Junko (and Mitarai by proxy).

While I understand that they wanted to point out that the world is very different from a class trial, they failed on giving Naegi the attitude he showed in both games. Saving remnants of despair, to undo their despair state, while knowing FF might just kill you for treason? That takes guts. Yet here he's just running away from Munakata/Juzo, while understandable, I wanted them to create scenarios where he could investigate, not like he's bad at it, since Kyoko comments him in the first game during the last chapter.

Hajime is probably my most hated representation. I liked him a lot in the games, but here he just made me facepalm a lot, and the shoved Chiaki dynamic just hurts to watch. I guess they wanted me to realize his obsession for talent was his major flaw, enough to make me realize he had it coming.

Still entertaining since I want to know how this wraps up.

Permanently A

I must be one of the few who thought they did a good job characterizing Hajime's obsession with the idea of being talented.

Nah, I agree. Watching Hajime being told by a bunch of talented people that "talent doesn't matter" was really fucking grating. Its like telling a depressed or suicidal person "but you have so much to live for!" or "its not all bad!" Someone in this thread earlier put it really succinctly, no matter how many people believe in you, it doesn't matter unless you're strong enough to believe in yourself. I'm glad they were able to accurately portray that through Hajime.

Nightbird

I must be one of the few who thought they did a good job characterizing Hajime's obsession with the idea of being talented.

No, I feel the same.

In the Game it bothered him too that he didn't know what his talent was. But being among the talented students gave him the feeling that he must have a talent, and that he only forgot.

This time around he doesn't have the luxury of lying to himself by being around SHLS'.
He's a talentless reverse course student, and is repeatedly reminded of this.

Of course he is going to be more obsessed this time.

Eumi

Nah, I agree. Watching Hajime being told by a bunch of talented people that "talent doesn't matter" was really fucking grating. Its like telling a depressed or suicidal person "but you have so much to live for!" or "its not all bad!" Someone in this thread earlier put it really succinctly, no matter how many people believe in you, it doesn't matter unless you're strong enough to believe in yourself. I'm glad they were able to accurately portray that through Hajime.
One thing I really like is how different Chiaki is from AI Chiaki. The real Chiaki is a lot more outgoing but also a lot less thoughtful. She failed to see Hajime's issues and kind of almost wrote them off with some spiel about it being ok that he has no talent. AI Chiaki on the other hand could barely talk to people, but actually understood that Hajime's problems come from a self hatred which is why in the end she gets him to believe in himself despite his lack of talent.

Real Chiaki created Izuru, whereas AI Chiaki saved Hajime.

PK Gaming

DR3 Hajime is like the polar opposite of a person obsessed with talent. He keeps a relatively level head throughout the earlier parts of the anime, to a point where he outright contemplates listening to Chiaki/Chisa/Old guy's advice. He is literally 'swayed' into joining the experiment because of an incident with Juzo. Swayed is the operative word here, because from what we know of what he was like in DR2, there shouldn't have been any swaying.

This is in stark contrast to how he's like in the game, which makes it explicitly clear that he has always, always, always had an intense admiration of Hope's Peak Academy. His obsession with talent was so notable that he was chosen out as a test subject over every other Reserve Course Student. This isn't conveyed in the anime at all. Hajime's characterization is way too mild here. Hajime's critical flaw was his obsession with talent, and you don't get that from how is characterized (it doesn't help that the majority of his scenes are spent with his interactions with Chiaki). That's what made his character super compelling in the 6th chapter, and it's the reason why Chiaki's speech about "talent not being important" (which the anime shamelessly imitates) is one of the strongest moments in the franchise.

DR3 Hajime is terrible. An enjoyable and cool character sure, but horribly unfaithful to what he was like in DR2.

I see. Haven't been buying much recently so I never kept tracked. Regardless, this is still better than the days where the exchange was 65 or so. Those were dark times.
The lowest it has gotten recently was around 99/98

This is going to end with no hope and all dispair, right?

Nothing but dispair and disbear......

Since Monokuma said this would be the end of its and Makotos stories, has there been any confirmation Monokuma will actually be in V3?

The lowest it has gotten recently was around 99/98

This is going to end with no hope and all dispair, right?

Nothing but dispair and disbear......

Since Monokuma said this would be the end of its and Makotos stories, has there been any confirmation Monokuma will actually be in V3?

well it appears in both V3 trailers so far, so...

Nightbird

And all promotional material. And the new Danganronpa game production team logo.

Monokuma is 100% definitely in V3. And likely every danganronpa game ever made.

Monokuma is to Danganronpa what Pikachu is to Pokémon or Slime to Dragon Quest.

You can't have a game in the series without it.

What I'm most curious about is the counter. It was nine going into the episode; will episode 10 drop it to 5 or 6? Or 7 even? Or shit, 8? In this episode, the only one to unquestionably die is Ruruka. Kyoko may have faked her death, Miaya possibly doesn't count as a participant, and Juzo's wounds may have cauterized.

EDIT: Also, it begs the question as to why Juzo wasn't surprised that Miaya was a robot. Did anything happen in an episode that would have reasonably tipped him off?

Is that a Hajime cookie?!
It seemed like the chair held the bulk of the weapons. Perhaps Monaca upgraded the chair. Miaya could've also been overwhelmed or caught by surprise and not reacted fast enough.
Yeah I can see that happening. It seemed weird to me that Komaru survived Monaca's through an entire game while Miaya did not, but then again Komaru's challenge was structured like a game, so Monaca could have killed her easily if she wanted to.
Vidya's videos are great. I think my favorite so far is Despair 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3YJHhrB33Q

rugioh

Banned
Goddamn the Despair arc lulled me into a false sense of fanservice bullshit, the second to latest episode was totally unexpected. Fuckin nightmare fuel man

Maebe

Thinking about it, I'll probably start hating this anime when it is done.

I hate so many things they did to some of my favorites from the game, but it is still entertaining.

The anime shit is probably the tipping point, to be honest... I wanted the DR2 cast to be sympathetic, but they had to paid for their actions. Instead this brainwashing throws all feelings of guilt to just blame Junko (and Mitarai by proxy).

While I understand that they wanted to point out that the world is very different from a class trial, they failed on giving Naegi the attitude he showed in both games. Saving remnants of despair, to undo their despair state, while knowing FF might just kill you for treason? That takes guts. Yet here he's just running away from Munakata/Juzo, while understandable, I wanted them to create scenarios where he could investigate, not like he's bad at it, since Kyoko comments him in the first game during the last chapter.

Hajime is probably my most hated representation. I liked him a lot in the games, but here he just made me facepalm a lot, and the shoved Chiaki dynamic just hurts to watch. I guess they wanted me to realize his obsession for talent was his major flaw, enough to make me realize he had it coming.

Still entertaining since I want to know how this wraps up.

I feel this, he was one of my favourites in the game. I was also disappointed we got dropped in the midst of his character arc, after he already was approached about the surgery and didn't get much backstory for him. What little we did get(basically Nanami and Juzo steer him everywhere the plot needs him) felt weak in comparison to his character in the game. Was expecting much more suffering and conflict but he flipped between "talent is essential" and "hm maybe not--wait, never mind" so quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom