• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just catching up on the thread and while the conversations moved on I just want to say that I'm not sure Gozu's NG code is easy at all. Sure it's no where near as bad as some of the others, but getting pinned for a three count would be impossible to avoid if you fall asleep. It's kinda the same as Izayois in that sense.

There are two issues:

1. Do we know if a person can activate another person's bracelet in order to see their NG?

2. If they cannot, it stands to reason that no one will try to pin him, even in his sleep.

If we assume that they cannot, then the only person who could reasonably activate his NG is Monaka.

EDIT: Wait, I forget, did they turn on Kyoko's bracelet, or did they just see that it had activated?

Eumi

There are two issues:

1. Do we know if a person can activate another person's bracelet in order to see their NG?

2. If they cannot, it stands to reason that no one will try to pin him, even in his sleep.

If we assume that they cannot, then the only person who could reasonably activate his NG is Monaka.

EDIT: Wait, I forget, did they turn on Kyoko's bracelet, or did they just see that it had activated?
I assume other people can totally activate them. The fact that they haven't said otherwise means that it's probably not going to be important though.

Red Frost

Banned
I'm just catching up on the thread and while the conversations moved on I just want to say that I'm not sure Gozu's NG code is easy at all. Sure it's no where near as bad as some of the others, but getting pinned for a three count would be impossible to avoid if you fall asleep. It's kinda the same as Izayois in that sense.

I mean that's kind of a moot point considering if someone wanted to kill him in his sleep, he'd just be a victim of the attacker (which he was). Everyone has 2 ways to die while he essentially had only 1.

Eumi

I mean that's kind of a moot point considering if someone wanted to kill him in his sleep, he'd just be a victim of the attacker (which he was). Everyone has 2 ways to die while he essentially had only 1.
My point is more that I don't think his NG code points to him being the mastermind, since dying just for being held down for three seconds is still a shitty deal. What if somebody pushes you down to get you out the way of something and it activates? Hell, what if someone just falls asleep on top of you?

Three things:

1. Gozu is capable enough to get anyone off of him

2. Gozu, being privy to his NG, would not allow someone to fall asleep on him in the first place.

3. Because they are put to sleep at regular intervals, it stands to reason that falling asleep outside of the sleep timer stuff is unlikely.

As such, Gozu is only realistically at risk of having his NG used against him by Monaka or the attacker. Monaka, being a lurker, likely didn't do anything big aside from killing Gekkogahara. The attacker, being the attacker, means that the pool of potential perpetrators is highly diminished - having only one person who would use his NG against him instead of 15. Anyone can punch Asahina and anyone can commit violence in front of Bandai.

As I said before, it's all too interesting that Bandai's was the riskiest and Gozu's was the safest, and they are the people we know the least about.

On the subject of NGs, many of the NGs have very significant themes. Izayoi can't eat Ruruka's candy (that he loves), Ruruka can't let anyone leave (literally and figuratively), Chisa can't let Munakata die (because she loves him), Makoto cannot run in the hallway (because being a kind of regular person, he gets a regular limitation), Gozu can't be pinned for three seconds (because he'd "lose"), Kyoko cannot survive with Makoto (basically to contrast her arc, where she originally was willing to sacrifice him in 1 in order to discover the truth). The ones I cannot attach direct themes to are Kizakura's left hand, Aoi being punched or kicked, Seiko's shadow, and Tengan's lies (though I have an idea). I think that Kizakura's was meant to lead up to him having to save Kyoko by risking his life, but if this is the case, it was a little clumsy because it requires a lot of coincidences to create that situation.

But Tengan, let's assume that Tengan has a theme to his NG of answering a question with a lie - and as such, it stands to reason that Tengan is a liar. I am predicting that before the series is over, we will see that Tengan is responsible for something horrible, and that he was the one who pushed for the Kamakura Project.

Oikistes

Ok, crazy theory time.

Chisa is dead and Chisa is the mastermind. Monokuma's message in the first episode (and the wake up call for the attacker) were pre-recorded and only interacted with Monaka, who was in on it anyway. Furthermore, Chisa and Monokuma have been the only two characters who have broken the fourth wall and at the end of the recap the bear said something like "I'll keep watching them", which goes well with the Chisa in the theatre scene. She took herself out first to ensure Munakata would go bananas. At the end of the first episode, Monokuma tells Naegi that this would be the ending for both of their stories, and these stories are the Future and Despair arc. What Tengan told Munakata was that there was someone else in the building. The attacker is the 16th person, who was a prisoner in the FF building only Tengan (and Mitarai, who had been called to help deal with him/her) knew about. Probably brainwashed Chiaki, but the despairlings are awake and Nagito can console cheat himself into any situation he wants (and is irredeemable) so there's that.

Maebe

The whole point of the notebook is for Kyoko to still have a large influence and help everyone from beyond death. If they bring her back after the Hina fake out, Monaca's message, and that nightmare fake out..........enough is enough.

SHE'S DEAD. DEAD I SAY.

I really hate another fakeout death because it's cheap but Monaka's prediction was likely based on her NG code, which Kirigiri must have found a way to subvert. I can't see her dying in such a lame manner as a major returning character and the only one left with a brain. Maybe she'll be incapacitated until the end and the notebook will give Naegi all the answers he never looked for.

I agree with the theory that what shows on the screen in the building is what brainwashes people into acts of violence when one attacker wakes up and that Ryota is behind them. Maybe Junko blackmailed him or he went off the deep end. Maybe his admiration/jealousy of Naegi is due to the latter being brave and defying Junko while he was weak.

Just because Kyoko was the last smart one doesn't mean anything. Remember, the two smartest characters in Goodbye Despair died around the same time.

EDIT: Also, if you subscribe to Asachisa, that means that Makoto has no living allies.

I really hate another fakeout death because it's cheap but Monaka's prediction was likely based on her NG code, which Kirigiri must have found a way to subvert. I can't see her dying in such a lame manner as a major returning character and the only one left with a brain. Maybe she'll be incapacitated until the end and the notebook will give Naegi all the answers he never looked for.
And that's the thing. People might groan over another fakeout, but even more groan worthy is the idea that Kyoko would just voluntarily peace out, particularly in such an unresolved manner. If Kyoko knew she was going to die, she wouldn't end things with some vague words of hope and some highly provocative skin on skin hand holding. She'd pull Makoto and Aoi aside and lay it all out.

But after it's been heavily established that she's one of the most intelligent and resourceful characters in the DR universe, I'd say it's far more likely that she's rigged some sort of loophole to prevent her death, while leaving the pertinent information her friends need to resolve the matter until she can rejoin them again.

And that's the thing. People might groan over another fakeout, but even more groan worthy is the idea that Kyoko would just voluntarily peace out, particularly in such an unresolved manner. If Kyoko knew she was going to die, she wouldn't end things with some vague words of hope and some highly provocative skin on skin hand holding. She'd pull Makoto and Aoi aside and lay it all out.

But after it's been heavily established that she's one of the most intelligent and resourceful characters in the DR universe, I'd say it's far more likely that she's rigged some sort of loophole to prevent her death, while leaving the pertinent information her friends need to resolve the matter until she can rejoin them again.

I'll begrudgingly accept her death if there's more to it. She doesn't necessarily have to be faking for her to have some sort of backup plan in place, which I hope is the case. But if what we saw is all there is and all she left behind was her notebook, then I'm still out.

That said, Kyoko definitely wouldn't have told Makoto her NG before dying. It more than likely would have pushed him over the edge knowing that his continued existence had doomed her. Either he'd totally lose hope or do like in the OP and top himself to keep her around. This way she could at least use herself as a motivation for him to see this through, which is by the way complete BS on the writers' part. It basically reduces Kyoko to a Makoto development plot device, and she deserves better than that.

I'll begrudgingly accept her death if there's more to it. She doesn't necessarily have to be faking for her to have some sort of backup plan in place, which I hope is the case. But if what we saw is all there is and all she left behind was her notebook, then I'm still out.

That said, Kyoko definitely wouldn't have told Makoto her NG before dying. It more than likely would have pushed him over the edge knowing that his continued existence had doomed her. Either he'd totally lose hope or do like in the OP and top himself to keep her around. This way she could at least use herself as a motivation for him to see this through, which is by the way complete BS on the writers' part. It basically reduces Kyoko to a Makoto development plot device, and she deserves better than that.
I think she would have. Kyoko doesn't strike me as a person who'd purposefully withhold information if she knew that she had no other option. They've all handled extreme amounts of despair before, and if Makoto is as great as Kyoko believes him to be, she'd know that he could handle it. Otherwise her whole spiel doesn't really ring true.

If anything, I think the one thing this anime is failing on is Makoto's character. He's coming off very poorly right now. He's experienced so much, but his trademark hope doesn't really register IMO. Everyone is propping him up as this shining light, but he needs to stand on his own more, particularly as we enter these final stages.

Eumi

I think she would have. Kyoko doesn't strike me as a person who'd purposefully withhold information if she knew that she had no other option. They've all handled extreme amounts of despair before, and if Makoto is as great as Kyoko believes him to be, she'd know that he could handle it. Otherwise her whole spiel doesn't really ring true.

If anything, I think the one thing this anime is failing on is Makoto's character. He's coming off very poorly right now. He's experienced so much, but his trademark hope doesn't really register IMO. Everyone is propping him up as this shining light, but he needs to stand on his own more, particularly as we enter these final stages.
I dunno, they seem to be nailing Makotos character pretty solidly.

You know, kind of useless and needlessly hyped up by everyone around him.

gaiages

Banned

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in DR1 wasn't Makoto ready to sacrifice himself to save Kyoko because he believed she could save the others? He just got lucky with the AI butting in. What would stop that mindset in this arguably more tense situation?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in DR1 wasn't Makoto ready to sacrifice himself to save Kyoko because he believed she could save the others? He just got lucky with the AI butting in. What would stop that mindset in this arguably more tense situation?

Minor correction - he didn't intentionally sacrifice her, he's just dumb and didn't realize the implications that covering for her meant that he was the only suspect remaining.

Maebe

Just because Kyoko was the last smart one doesn't mean anything. Remember, the two smartest characters in Goodbye Despair died around the same time.

EDIT: Also, if you subscribe to Asachisa, that means that Makoto has no living allies.

It helps there wasn't any complicated murder plot to solve once they were gone and Hinata was pretty good on his own iirc. At least better than a DR3 Naegi would be. I expect someone(or more) from the original to die but I think this is another fake out.

It helps there wasn't any complicated murder plot to solve once they were gone and Hinata was pretty good on his own iirc. At least better than a DR3 Naegi would be. I expect someone(or more) from the original to die but I think this is another fake out.

It serves as an interesting plot device too, as without people like Nagito and Chiaki around, you didn't really have anyone who can more easily see through Junko's shit - even with Hajime, he only did so thanks to Chiaki motivating him.

One thing I like about Hajime is that he wasn't average, not really anyway. He was actually fairly acute. Like you said, he was easily a more intelligent person than Makoto. The problem was that he wasn't ultimate intelligence, whereas solely because Makoto had one ultimate trait, he coasted.

Ah, that's right, it's been a while since I played DR1 so I forgot the exact situation.

No problem. I do really like how they kind of contrast things. Makoto risked his life for Kyoko, and Kyoko in this game did the same in return. And if she did the same, let's remember that Makoto survived against all odds. :v

The fact that there are currently only five survivors (with the fifth survivor presumably being a hidden participant) and, what, three episodes to go? I do expect at least one more death, maybe even two, so Kyoko's survival would create a good buffer.

I dunno, they seem to be nailing Makotos character pretty solidly.

You know, kind of useless and needlessly hyped up by everyone around him.
I'm not really a Makoto fan either, but he's at least generally a bit more proactive, even if he's not the sharpest.

I don't know what he's doing now. Getting a lot of piggyback rides, literally and figuratively.

Eh, I think Monaca killed her. She seemed pretty set on seeing Makoto in action before she blasted off into space, and she probably figured out that Miaya was an easy person to shadow. The robot also seemed to be made to her designs. She probably included an autonomous just in case, so she could fuck around with people.
But how could she have infiltrated FF and killed Miaya? Plus it's possible she never left Towa City in the first place. I can see the robot being made by her, since Monaca is quite good at that, but it's still weird that she uses Usami as an avatar when she didn't know about her existence.
What if Miaya had the robot made?
I can see that happening. She participated in the New World Program's creation after all, so that would explain Usami,
I just wanna see my boy Hajime again
Yeah, get that loser Makoto out of the game, bring on the real protagonist!

But how could she have infiltrated FF and killed Miaya? Plus it's possible she never left Towa City in the first place. I can see the robot being made by her, since Monaca is quite good at that, but it's still weird that she uses Usami as an avatar when she didn't know about her existence.

The chair was probably made by Miaya. Monaca killed Miaya, took her chair and then put the robot in it. It's established that Miaya never talks and uses Usami to talk to others. Her using Usami explains its existence in the NWP. Otherwise they surely would've noticed the fact that she had a new wheelchair out of nowhere.

As for how she killed Miaya, they all seem to go out on their own separate missions at times. If Monaca knew or heard where she might be, she might've had the chance to strike with one of her many different robots.

The chair was probably made by Miaya. Monaca killed Miaya, took her chair and then put the robot in it. It's established that Miaya never talks and uses Usami to talk to others. Her using Usami explains its existence in the NWP. Otherwise they surely would've noticed the fact that she had a new wheelchair out of nowhere.

As for how she killed Miaya, they all seem to go out on their own separate missions at times. If Monaca knew or heard where she might be, she might've had the chance to strike with one of her many different robots.
Hmm true, if she used something else other than Usami, the other FF leaders would question her. I don't remember, what's the thing that holds Mechamiaya's weapons? The robot or the chair? If it's the chair and Miaya made it herself, she could have defended herself against Monaca.

Hmm true, if she used something else other than Usami, the other FF leaders would question her. I don't remember, what's the thing that holds Mechamiaya's weapons? The robot or the chair? If it's the chair and Miaya made it herself, she could have defended herself against Monaca.

It seemed like the chair held the bulk of the weapons. Perhaps Monaca upgraded the chair. Miaya could've also been overwhelmed or caught by surprise and not reacted fast enough.

Makoto's strength always lied in the class trials where everyone was forced to stand around and talk things out.

Here in DR3 he doesn't have that luxury, Yu specifically called him out on it.

FStubbs

I'm not really a Makoto fan either, but he's at least generally a bit more proactive, even if he's not the sharpest.

I don't know what he's doing now. Getting a lot of piggyback rides, literally and figuratively.

I can think of worse things than riding Hina for a bunch of episodes.

FStubbs

Makoto's strength always lied in the class trials where everyone was forced to stand around and talk things out.

Here in DR3 he doesn't have that luxury, Yu specifically called him out on it.

Makoto's only real chance is to try to force things back to that format. Problem is the only thing Munakata would listen to is Makoto providing him proof of the mastermind.

Red Frost

Banned
DR1 Makoto was a badass. 3rd most perceptive character in the game (sometimes 2nd), able to remember minute details, could summarize cases despite having no detective background, etc. He was effectively SHSL lawyer as the 2 smarter than him didn't have the inherent disposition to be helpful for others.

Here, he's done fuck all.

DR1 Makoto was a badass. 3rd most perceptive character in the game (sometimes 2nd), able to remember minute details, could summarize cases despite having no detective background, etc. He was effectively SHSL lawyer as the 2 smarter than him didn't have the inherent disposition to be helpful for others.

Here, he's done fuck all.
Well, unlike the games, no one was actively trying to kill him. Which is the point of the NG code.

That said the anime has murdered a bunch of characters, figurately speaking. DR2 cast stands out for sure.

NEO0MJ

So are the Hajime and Nagito artfx j statues. Too bad the usd>jpy exchange rate is crap now.

Wasn't it good a while ago?

DR1 Makoto was a badass. 3rd most perceptive character in the game (sometimes 2nd)

In both games it seemed the case was carried by the protag, his female friend and the asshole. All other characters were just there to go all "what~" most of the time, unless they're the killer.

Pretty nice ep.

Did anyone notice that the poison in the bracelets
Turn everyone but Bandai into monokumas? They even put the red eyes heh.

Kirigiri's totally coming back alive, the poison was clearly different from the Bandai one so she'll make it.

Btw, next episode will definetely show the culprit, unless we get "Super Happy GlassesMcDorkface Hour" instead.

The recap thing was awesome hahahaha.

Maebe

I saw an interesting theory that could explain why Nagito knows as much as he does when he comes back from his trip. Basically:

-He sees Tsumiki on his way to class and follows her, finds the secret passage, realizes she has fallen into despair, possibly overhears Tsumiki's Junko love
-discovers Ryota as well, which would explain why he looks at the Imposter so strangely in class(and also looks disappointed to hear Chiaki wants to find Tsumiki)
-something must have happened to make him lose his umbrella(Mukuro?) which is why he's soaking wet when he returns to class

-Interesting coincidence that both he and Munakata return to Hope's Peak on the same day/episode.
-We know Nagito was on some unnamed island for a supposedly inconsequential joke scene, but what if it was the overseas branch of Hope's Peak Munakata was working on, which is the Future Foundation building in Future arc right now?
-Tengan stated that the island the building was constructed on does not exist on any maps, so considering Nagito's luck, what if he actually crash landed there? Could explain where he found out about the experiments since he was away when Junko leaked the information and where got the "souvenir".
-The theory he was at this branch can also entertain the mastermind theory(though I personally still expect Ryota/Chisa).

What's people's theories on Munakata killing Juzo? For me, that was the dumbest moment of the episode. It was the coldest betrayal of the show.

I wonder if Munakata's NG code is stabbing his friends through his stomach (therefore angry at the Despair "making" him kill Juzo). But Juzo is too stupid to understand "you know why" as Munakata's parting words.

The other explanation I've got is Tengan told Munakata something about Juzo's actions this game we are yet to find out.

h0tp0ck3t

What's people's theories on Munakata killing Juzo? For me, that was the dumbest moment of the episode. It was the coldest betrayal of the show.

I wonder if Munakata's NG code is stabbing his friends through his stomach (therefore angry at the Despair "making" him kill Juzo). But Juzo is too stupid to understand "you know why" as Munakata's parting words.

The other explanation I've got is Tengan told Munakata something about Juzo's actions this game we are yet to find out.

Well there was that one flashback of Juzo getting whopped by Junko so maybe Munakata secretly blamed him for everything that's happened since he couldn't stop her then?

Taruranto

I've read some theories about Mitarai NG code being related to his phone, and I think that's the case. It probably contain sensitive information about the culprit, but turning it on would kill him. That's why he feels so useless, he could reveal everything and give everyone hope, but he's too afraid to do that.

I don't buy any "Chisa body swapping" theory, or "Chisa and Junko swapped places" theory, these kind of plot twists never work unless the characters are twins.

Well there was that one flashback of Juzo getting whopped by Junko so maybe Munakata secretly blamed him for everything that's happened since he couldn't stop her then?

That makes Munakata even dumber as a character. He can't call himself "hope" whilst murdering his closest friends for something they fucked up years ago.

Eumi

That makes Munakata even dumber as a character. He can't call himself "hope" whilst murdering his closest friends for something they fucked up years ago.
I'm pretty sure that's the point though. Munakata's fucking insane.

He's just not fun, interesting or likeable. You know, all the reasons that Nagito is the best character in the series despite having the exact same ideals.

Munakata is a real shame. I feel like there really is a good character in there somewhere, it's just not coming across in this well at all.

Burbeting

Banned
I feel that Munakata's half-assedness so far points to the direction that Kodaka is more interested in writing V3 than he is with this anime.

vato_loco

So Kirigiri is definitely coming back. Or at least I really, REALLY hope so.

Munakata is seriously starting to lose his mind for real. He's so obsessed with his idea of Hope that he'd sacrifice anything. Not that this development wasn't telegraphed earlier, but it was still a bit of a shock.

And speaking of bland motives...
f**k Ruruka.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom