• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

It's why Layton vs Phoenix is still the best AA game
maya-bench-ugh(a).gif

So apparently there's a quiz in the DR3 website to see which DR2 character matches you.
http://www.nbcuni.co.jp/anime/danganronpa3/special/index02000000.html
Translation: http://jinjojess.tumblr.com/post/150122298508/which-77th-class-member-are-you-most-compatible
Since I'm pretty normal I was expecting either Hajime, Chiaki or Mahiru, and I got Mahiru! :D
Yeah, I'd say the atmosphere and stylized nature of the games makes a world of difference when it comes to investigation. DR's are tense due to the situations, have great music, and are faster-paced (hour to hour and a half vs several hours spread over many days). AA's are just... boring.
Eh, I think AA has great music too. and (I think I may be alone in this lol) I prefer longer investigations. AA1 Case 5 and the last case of Investigations are some of my favorite cases from the series. Plus, showing evidence to any character you meet and getting a unique conversation is pretty cool.
I feel as though this thread makes me genuinely believe I am easily amused when it comes to this show :_:
Yeah I sometimes feel like that too xD I'm liking Ryota and his journey in Despair so far even though I think a lot of fans dislike it, but it's always great to see other opinions.

So apparently there's a quiz in the DR3 website to see which DR2 character matches you.

I got Ibuki. I didn't expect that.

I should really try Ace Attorney again sometime. It always gets high praise. I only ever played a free trial of the first investigation on iOS. Which was a lot of fun, but I never really got around to playing more.

FluxWaveZ

I got Ibuki Mioda. There is no character who could be further from who I am than her.

I should really try Ace Attorney again sometime. It always gets high praise. I only ever played a free trial of the first investigation on iOS. Which was a lot of fun, but I never really got around to playing more.

Anyone who likes Danganronpa should play the Ace Attorney series.

Red Frost

Banned
I feel as though this thread makes me genuinely believe I am easily amused when it comes to this show :_:

The thing is I like what's going on in a standalone sense. It's the implications it has for the rest of the franchise that's really bumming me out. Had there been no context for the despair arc, I'd be loving these last few episodes.

It's a lot easier to enjoy if you aren't as invested in the lore.

I'm a SHSL gangster

That reminds me...

Is anyone else slightly annoyed that Funimation doesn't even attempt to respect the official localization of the games? Regardless of whether or you prefer SHSL/Ultimate, fanfic writer/otaku, etc., it just seems kinda irreverent to completely disregard the previously established changes. If I didn't read forums or wikis I would've been completely lost at what the hell a super high school level is.

That reminds me...

Is anyone else slightly annoyed that Funimation doesn't even attempt to respect the official localization of the games? Regardless of whether or you prefer SHSL/Ultimate, fanfic writer/otaku, etc., it just seems kinda irreverent to completely disregard the previously established changes. If I didn't read forums or wikis I would've been completely lost at what the hell a super high school level is.

To be fair... They started localizing DR1: the Animation at the same time NISA was working on Trigger Happy Havoc. So some of the differences between them make sense. Despite me preferring NISA's localizations, I get why they want to keep the same terminology that they had in their first anime (ie SHSL over Ultimate).

That said, going with Gangster over Yakuza felt like they were deliberately going out of their way to be different. Especially because they cite that this is a sequel to DR2 on the website, so they do acknowledge the game. Just feels odd to deviate on that. (edit: watching the most recent dub episode they do refer to him as a Yakuza in the spoken lines, so idk, maybe they view it as similar enough or something.)

Permanently A

i'm in the same boat, I've always found "high school girl is able to manipulate literally anyone she wants" to be pretty dumb so having an actual explanation for how she was able to turn so many to her side was appreciated.

Soriku

The only way to redeem the Despair arc would be for Chisa to be the one responsible for breaking their minds (by regular manipulation, ie. playing with their insecurities and doubts, not brainwashing anime), with Junko delivering the final blow (once again, not through brainwashing anime), and/or that they sacrifice themselves for Chiaki. Sadly, with only 3 episodes left, there is no way for them to show us a slow, gradual fall into despair for all of them. It is going to be brainwashing anime.

So far, the only character who is faithful to his DR2's self is Nagito... And I am fully expecting his character to be wasted by the end of the anime, sadly.

Regarding Future's side: can we please know what happened to Izuru and the Ultimate Despairs, please?

The Despair arc hasn't even made it clear what insecurities/doubts they even really have. Individually they haven't gotten much screentime and haven't been anything except gimmicks.

NEO0MJ

Also, I feel it's kinda bullshit how badly Peko lost. Mukuro was the ultimate soldier, but this was a close range fight where she couldn't make the use of her entire skillset, in comparison to Peko who should be in her most dominant field. Though by now I've come to accept that most talented don't mean squat if the plot demanded it.

Also, I feel it's kinda bullshit how badly Peko lost. Mukuro was the ultimate soldier, but this was a close range fight where she couldn't make the use of her entire skillset, in comparison to Peko who should be in her most dominant field. Though by now I've come to accept that most talented don't mean squat if the plot demanded it.

Actually that did make sense. Mukuro was legendary in her time in Fenrir for never having taken a single hit while on the battlefield, no matter what the situation was. She was also highly proficient in all types of combat on the battlefield (close and far range). Originally the first time she was ever wounded was when Junko betrayed her with the Spear of Gungnir in DR1, although in this anime Junko also hit her with a bat after viewing Ryota's anime. So her outclassing Peko did fit.

Red Frost

Banned

I don't have a problem with Mukuro being OP at fighting. She'll obviously have a lot more experience than pretty much anyone else in the franchise on that front. Peko is clearly strong, but her talent is likely used more for sport than actual battles. I'd say Sakura and maybe Akane are really the only ones that could stand against Mukuro (not mentioning IF here because it's not canon).

I don't have a problem with Mukuro being OP at fighting. She'll obviously have a lot more experience than pretty much anyone else in the franchise on that front. Peko is clearly strong, but her talent is likely used more for sport than actual battles. I'd say Sakura and maybe Akane are really the only ones that could stand against Mukuro (not mentioning IF here because it's not canon).

Akane? she's not even a real fighter, no fundamentals and just gets by on her athleticism, it's why Nidai keeps shitting on her.

anyway I personally like to take as the people with more "general" talents are more powerful than the ones who are more specialized. Like for instance Sakura who's talent is "fighting" would defeat Juzo who's only good at boxing.

NEO0MJ

Actually that did make sense. Mukuro was legendary in her time in Fenrir for never having taken a single hit while on the battlefield, no matter what the situation was. She was also highly proficient in all types of combat on the battlefield (close and far range). Originally the first time she was ever wounded was when Junko betrayed her with the Spear of Gungnir in DR1, although in this anime Junko also hit her with a bat after viewing Ryota's anime. So her outclassing Peko did fit.

Yeah but she was in a war setting and most likely fought long range more often than not and against regular soldiers.

Wasn't she one of the Yakuza's main assassins? Seemed she might have fought strong swordsmen as well.

MANUELF

Banned
Translation: http://jinjojess.tumblr.com/post/150122298508/which-77th-class-member-are-you-most-compatible
Since I'm pretty normal I was expecting either Hajime, Chiaki or Mahiru, and I got Mahiru! :D

Eh, I think AA has great music too. and (I think I may be alone in this lol) I prefer longer investigations. AA1 Case 5 and the last case of Investigations are some of my favorite cases from the series. Plus, showing evidence to any character you meet and getting a unique conversation is pretty cool.

Yeah I sometimes feel like that too xD I'm liking Ryota and his journey in Despair so far even though I think a lot of fans dislike it, but it's always great to see other opinions.
I got Ultimate Hope Hajime Hinata

Rich!

I must be the only one here who so far loves both the anime (both sides) and the gameplay of DR as well as enjoying Ultra Despair Girls.

I've always likened my experience with DR 1 and 2 to my playthroughs of classic lucasarts titles like Monkey Island in the exploration/investigation modes and I have always really enjoyed the trials and even the mini games

Helps that the music and art style is consistently badass, the jp VA is fantastic and monokuma and nagito are basically the best characters ever

I must be the only one here who so far loves both the anime (both sides) and the gameplay of DR as well as enjoying Ultra Despair Girls.

I've always likened my experience with DR 1 and 2 to my playthroughs of classic lucasarts titles like Monkey Island in the exploration/investigation modes and I have always really enjoyed the trials and even the mini games

Helps that the music and art style is consistently badass, the jp VA is fantastic and monokuma and nagito are basically the best characters ever

At first I was like "hey, I enjoy all of the anime quite a bit!"

And then I was like "well I don't know if I LOVE the gameplay, but I don't dislike it at all..."

And then you lost me

That said, the music IS consistently badass during the investigations.

Question 12 was the thoughest of them all.

and i got mahiru ? Oh well i don't dislike her.. in fact i think she is one of those characters i wish i could have know better

NeonZ

It's why Layton vs Phoenix is still the best AA game (though I'm working my way through AA6). It replaces the investigation portion of Ace Attorney with a Layton game.

Maybe if the final case didn't undermine the entire game...
No real villain and badly retconning all past cases (they can't even bother finding an excuse for the 1st Layton segment) was a really bad choice. It was a crossover, I don't see why they couldn't have gone with the "magic is real!" explanation. They have the Magatama right there too, but somehow it doesn't count as magic.

Maybe if the final case didn't undermine the entire game...
No real villain and badly retconning all past cases (they can't even bother finding an excuse for the 1st Layton segment) was a really bad choice. It was a crossover, I don't see why they couldn't have gone with the "magic is real!" explanation. They have the Magatama right there too, but somehow it doesn't count as magic.

There are several problems with Layton VS. AA

1. The contents of your spoilered text (the final case is probably the worst case of any AA game, including tutorial cases)

2. Credit to it for having some interesting trial content, but for the most part the crossover nature of the game does nothing more than give us a mediocre AA game and a mediocre Layton game (the Layton content doesn't even have a side puzzle like the past games did, ie building a robot dog or decorating a house with furniture).

The story contrivances of the Layton series served to drag down the story in this case. Layton games are generally a lot lighter - mainly due to how the stories tend to wrap everything in a neat little bow at the end - but if you're going to cross over the two series, you need to strike a balance. Someone needs to have died at some point, and for realsies! Shit, even the first case which takes place in the real world, I think that it is the only case in the entire series where no one dies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom