• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich!

I did the quiz

result10.png

no complaints

FStubbs

There are several problems with Layton VS. AA

1. The contents of your spoilered text (the final case is probably the worst case of any AA game, including tutorial cases)

2. Credit to it for having some interesting trial content, but for the most part the crossover nature of the game does nothing more than give us a mediocre AA game and a mediocre Layton game (the Layton content doesn't even have a side puzzle like the past games did, ie building a robot dog or decorating a house with furniture).

The story contrivances of the Layton series served to drag down the story in this case. Layton games are generally a lot lighter - mainly due to how the stories tend to wrap everything in a neat little bow at the end - but if you're going to cross over the two series, you need to strike a balance. Someone needs to have died at some point, and for realsies! Shit, even the first case which takes place in the real world, I think that it is the only case in the entire series where no one dies!

Oh, no argument that as a visual novel Layton vs AA is not as good. But as a game it's better because AA investigations are always weak.

FluxWaveZ

Oh, no argument that as a visual novel Layton vs AA is not as good. But as a game it's better because AA investigations are always weak.

Even then I would wholly disagree. The puzzles completely halted narrative momentum, oftentimes made little sense in the context of what the characters were actually doing, and were more frustrating than not for me. I would take the standard AA style of investigation over that any day.

Don't be sad that you got/diss Mahiru. Yeah, she wasn't super stand-out considering she died third and her ultimate wasn't ridiculous, but she had pretty great characterization for the few moments that she was on screen. Her high standards and dismissal of guys slacking off was pretty funny.

PaulBizkit

Finally up to date with Danganronpa !!!

YRfodci0L4aLoQpqiO4DA7lB2Y_2evvIukzF1iIf17sHxRKyTW9czi0v5QbecXufzR0nPOSf_g=s715-fcrop64=1,00000000ffffffff

I can't believe
Kyouko is dead. She was one of the most interesting characters around and it feels like she had many things left to do.

I don't know if this has been answered before, but why is Chiaki's voice different from episode 5/6 onwards?? Monokuma has a different voice too.

Both Future and Despair arcs have been amazing so far. Binge-watching Future arc was quick af, some of the episodes end before you know it.

I must be the only one here who so far loves both the anime (both sides) and the gameplay of DR as well as enjoying Ultra Despair Girls.

I've always likened my experience with DR 1 and 2 to my playthroughs of classic lucasarts titles like Monkey Island in the exploration/investigation modes and I have always really enjoyed the trials and even the mini games

Helps that the music and art style is consistently badass, the jp VA is fantastic and monokuma and nagito are basically the best characters ever

I love the gameplay of both DR games (except the hangman's gambit) and the plot of DR3. I haven't played UDG since i don't really want to buy a system of one game.

btw...
mahiru.jpg

I got mahiru too.

Either way Kodaka wrote himself into a corner.

Kyoko isn't dead - You already did a fakeout with Aoi you hack
Kyoko is dead - WTF it's Kyoko you telling me she couldn't work out a plan over 4 days you hack

Ryan_MSF

Got Mahiru, i wonder how many of you guys went through island mode and went through all of her free time events. I wasn't a huge fan of her prior, but when i'd spent some time with her, and saw her final ending I really learnt to love her character. She's super sweet and the whole relationship between her and Hajime gave me some serious feels.

Honestly unless Kirigiri *IS* dead- though I think the Cure W theory is true- and we get some incredible farewell via her notebook or something, the situation is a catch-22 though I'd prefer out of those two particular options that she'd actually be dead solely to see the fanbase collectively shit itself. Offing her and Chiaki in the same week would have been legendary, and let me remind you that we still don't know what happened to Togami :s

I'm not even excited for Future anymore, even though i'll watch it. Kodaka has managed to make my expectations less than nothing after the one two punch of Monaca being useless and Despair arc. I can see both Kyoko living and dying working, but I actually expect that whatever happens I'll be disappointed. :|

Maybe if the final case didn't undermine the entire game...
No real villain and badly retconning all past cases (they can't even bother finding an excuse for the 1st Layton segment) was a really bad choice. It was a crossover, I don't see why they couldn't have gone with the "magic is real!" explanation. They have the Magatama right there too, but somehow it doesn't count as magic.

The final case is fine for the vast majority of it, even if the pacing at the end is rushed. The plot twists on plot twists is exactly what you'd get when you transport Turnabout Court to a Layton game. I mean, yeah, everything is unbelievably contrived, but hell, it actually might still be less ridiculous than either Unwound Future or Diabolical Box. Big villain was sorely lacking though, and that kind of climax is something that both of those Layton games nail that PLvAA struggles with. Everything is resolved even more neatly and with less character on character conflict.

The story contrivances of the Layton series served to drag down the story in this case. Layton games are generally a lot lighter - mainly due to how the stories tend to wrap everything in a neat little bow at the end - but if you're going to cross over the two series, you need to strike a balance. Someone needs to have died at some point, and for realsies! Shit, even the first case which takes place in the real world, I think that it is the only case in the entire series where no one dies!

Someone did die; that dude in the second trial killed himself and all of the invisible people didn't break character :^)

Even then I would wholly disagree. The puzzles completely halted narrative momentum, oftentimes made little sense in the context of what the characters were actually doing, and were more frustrating than not for me. I would take the standard AA style of investigation over that any day.

have you played Layton? That's that series' schtick. The only time I felt the puzzles were at risk of distracting from the narrative more than normal was in the final act, but I actually thought they fit there better than anywhere else in the game.

Edit: I am Akane. Huh.

FluxWaveZ

Danganronpa 3 Future 10:
  • Makoto vs. Munakata stalemate. Attention diverted towards a bigger problem.
  • Junko Enoshima
  • Ryota's still useless. Runs away somewhere.
  • Hajime Kamakura looks at the camera dramatically.
  • Kyoko: "They'll have to do better than that if they want to kill me."
  • Byakuya: "They'll have to do better than that if they want to kill me."
  • Juzo: "You'll have to do better than that if you want to kill me."
  • "Where did Asahina go?"
have you played Layton? That's that series' schtick. The only time I felt the puzzles were at risk of distracting from the narrative more than normal was in the final act, but I actually thought they fit there better than anywhere else in the game.

No, I have not played Layton outside of a couple of hours into the first game. I am aware that that's the Layton series' schtick. That does not change my opinion of it. If random puzzles were inserted into Ace Attorney investigation sequences, I would not consider that an improvement.

[wrote a rant about the ending before this, but that was tangential]

Edit: Danganronpa 3 Tokyo Joypolis mystery maze event.

Oh well i don't dislike her.. in fact i think she is one of those characters i wish i could have know better
Got Mahiru as well. I don't even like her. Hell, I don't remember shit about her.
I got Mahiru aka the one DR2 character I know nothing about.
You guys should read this! (And def check out her FTEs)
https://www.reddit.com/r/danganronpa/comments/520wqm/in_defense_of_a_very_special_girl/
Did half of GAF get Mahiru?
Yeah it seems Mahiru and Ibuki are the most popular results. I guess most of Ibuki's options are happy/positive/friendly ones too.
I should really try Ace Attorney again sometime. It always gets high praise. I only ever played a free trial of the first investigation on iOS. Which was a lot of fun, but I never really got around to playing more.
You should totally try it! Incredible localization, characters, story, twists, sprites, etc.
tumblr_o014qpwRkn1s6k2mjo1_500.jpg

If it wasn't for Ash, I would totally use an avatar of Persona Q-fied Hajime, Chiaki and Nagito ;_;

Permanently A

I got Ibuki. I didn't expect that.

I should really try Ace Attorney again sometime. It always gets high praise. I only ever played a free trial of the first investigation on iOS. Which was a lot of fun, but I never really got around to playing more.

Better series than Danganronpa to be honest

Permanently A

Oh my fucking god dude why is Chiaki on the side with all the despairified characters

and chisa is always grouped with the future side characters oh man oh jeez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom