• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa: Another Episode Import OT | *Unmarked DR 1 and 2 Spoilers*

PK Gaming

The developers are fucking brutal

General spoilers
I thought that there was no way the kids would be...emotionally abused, physically abused, killed.

"There’s no way they could do it."

"No way, no way, no way, no way, no way, no way"

I was wrong. Very wrong.
This could very well be the saddest DanganRonpa game, and that's saying something

Zephyx

The developers are fucking brutal

General spoilers
I thought that there was no way the kids would be...emotionally abused, physically abused, killed.

"There’s no way they could do it."

"No way, no way, no way, no way, no way, no way"

I was wrong. Very wrong.
This could very well be the saddest DanganRonpa game, and that's saying something

I assumed that when they introduced the villains.
But I don't understand why it would be the saddest. We don't even know the ending yet.

Not reading any of these spoilers, but I imagine Kodaka just keeps trying to one up himself with how fucked up things can get. I mean, some of the original concept art for the first game implied it would be darker than it turned out, so maybe he's trying to work his way back up to that.

Arcblast

Neo Member
Usually one trailer doesn't make me want a game this much. But this one did and it's probably the first time in years that this had happened to me. What's even more weird is that I know pretty much nothing about this series at all lol.

Maybe I should tell me colleague to get this for me when he goes to Japan next month. Ahhh decisions, decisions...

Usually one trailer doesn't make me want a game this much. But this one did and it's probably the first time in years that this had happened to me. What's even more weird is that I know pretty much nothing about this series at all lol.

Maybe I should tell me colleague to get this for me when he goes to Japan next month. Ahhh decisions, decisions...
Um, if you're new to this series, I HIGHLY recommend you play 1 & 2 first, and that you run, not walk, out of this topic.

First of all, you should fix that as it's a story-based franchise where crazy twists are one of the selling points. Second, you should LEAVE THIS THREAD NOW since there is open discussion of said twists from the first and second games.

So, does anyone know what that was at the end of chapter 4 with the wheelchair girl? Only thing I think I understood was
something about trying to become the second Junko Enoshima I think? Whatever that was, she looked fucked up with that sprite D:

PK Gaming

I assumed that when they introduced the villains.
But I don't understand why it would be the saddest. We don't even know the ending yet.

I don't know, a game where children are liable to suffer and die is just plain sad, right off the bat. Add in molestation, abuse, attempted suicide, and death and it's just too much

Don't get me wrong, i'm ready for it

Labrys

So, does anyone know what that was at the end of chapter 4 with the wheelchair girl? Only thing I think I understood was
something about trying to become the second Junko Enoshima I think? Whatever that was, she looked fucked up with that sprite D:

wowowo spoilers
something about telling 'mom and dad' to open hell (i think?), and then someone bearing Junko Enoshima II
overall i do not get it

Zephyx

I don't know, a game where children are liable to suffer and die is just plain sad, right off the bat. Add in molestation, abuse, attempted suicide, and death and it's just too much

Don't get me wrong, i'm ready for it

I agree it's messed up.. Maybe a little too much for a normal person's taste but I think it perfectly fits the lore they're going with. Their world is filled with despair so it's not hard to imagine how twisted the minds of the people inhabiting it would be. Still, I understand your point. :)
When will we get this game??

Arcblast

Neo Member
Um, if you're new to this series, I HIGHLY recommend you play 1 & 2 first, and that you run, not walk, out of this topic.

First of all, you should fix that as it's a story-based franchise where crazy twists are one of the selling points. Second, you should LEAVE THIS THREAD NOW since there is open discussion of said twists from the first and second games.

Alright, I will get out of this thread now and get on with the 1st & 2nd games before playing this one. Cheers.

Yasumi

Banned
Has anyone actually gotten a shipping confirmation yet? I went with Nippon-Yasan and it's still being prepared.

I tried waiting for DLC non-confirmation but like I said earlier, watching the prologue did it for me, I need it right now D: Order done with Nippon-Yasan.

DaBoss

Yeah, it's pretty crazy. So far the only stuff that hasn't been voiced is the optional dialogues you can get while exploring an area.

Finished chapter 1. I will say the game's pacing feels slightly wonky so far - I can't put my finger on it, but something about the gameplay:cutscene ratio is off. Maybe just a little too much dialogue?
It did seem like the pacing is off when I saw the stream. I think you're right about it being caused by the amount of dialogue.
So any gameplay impressions? Will this game be rough for those of us who are not so great at TPS?
The streamer said it is a bit hard to aim with the Vita's sticks. There is soft lock-on where when you go to over the shoulder view, you will target the closest Monokuma. It will probably be best to play it on the lowest difficulty if you have any problems.

Rubedo

Nothing all that new though (besides the molestation) since we had whatshisface Soda and his father beating him up. Oh and I guess its probably one of the girls this time though.

Hm, yeah, NISA is going to dance around this touchy subject

I don't think they would censor that too heavily when they already had themes of it with Akane in DR2. They didn't really censor that.

Rubedo

Is it true that there's
a ghost
in this game?

If so, I'm kind of bummed because
until now, the series hasn't had anything supernatural

NotLiquid

Wow that ended up actually pretty satisfying. Thank god that rumored 2ch ending was a bunch of bullshit. For a spin-off this turned out to be a pretty amazing and well developed story.

DaBoss

These are ending spoilers btw, so do not click if you don't want to be spoiled.
So Monoka is definitely the DR3 mastermind right?
I'm thinking it will likely happen.
So...(ending spoilers)
Technically, this was all Junko mastermind yet again wasn't it
Well with the influence Junko has over everyone involved in this Despair business, Junko would technically be the mastermind for everything lol.

NotLiquid

So Monoka is definitely the DR3 mastermind right?

Sounds about right, unless Komaeda choosing to save her had to do with him wanting to inspire hope in her since this is already post-despair and she's already experienced the absolute worst of what Junko's path leads her to. More than anything though there seemed to be 2 Junko AIs.

NotLiquid already gave an impression of the story, how about other people, without spoilers of course. Was the story actually good, on the level of DR1 and DR2, or not?

The prologue was awesome already but you never know, plus I don't want to know anymore specific until I receive and play it.

Rubedo

NotLiquid already gave an impression of the story, how about other people, without spoilers of course. Was the story actually good, on the level of DR1 and DR2, or not?

The prologue was awesome already but you never know, plus I don't want to know anymore specific until I receive and play it.

Not on DR1 and 2 levels but, from what I saw, pretty good. Though it would probably help if I could understand what they are saying.

DaBoss

From the little that I could understand, the story was pretty interesting and crazy. They pretty much did things they can't do with the mainline Danganronpa games due to the way it is structured.

The ending was pretty satisfying.
Ending spoilers
All of the kids seem to have survived.
An explanation please? You're talking about the credits group photo right?

Yasumi

Banned

Dangan Ronpa 1 and 2 have higher peaks of awesome due to being murder mysteries, but Another Episode is more consistently awesome. Definitely up there among them, maybe a little better.

Vanille

So any gameplay impressions? Will this game be rough for those of us who are not so great at TPS?

It's more of a puzzle game than a shooter. You just gotta figure out the right bullets to use for the situation. And it helps that Genocider mode is super abusable.

Yasumi

Banned
I know there's tons of story impressions here, but how's the gameplay?
Just from watching, it seems solid and functional.

There are normal fights where you fight stuff however you want, and Monocman puzzle rooms where the game tells you what bullets you can use, gives you an overhead view, and you need to figure out what to do. Defense missions require you to protect one or more people from Monokumas, and boss fights are fairly bread-and-butter 3D action game bosses, but are still look fun since you need to figure out how to use your various different bullets. Using Genocider is pretty much "Fuck it, rip and tear" mode for if you ever get overwhelmed in a fight.

Should be some better impressions next week once people actually start getting their games.

So people have finished it, eh? I only have one question: is it worthy of the Danganronpa moniker?

Oh, and was that disappointing ending people were talking about before true or fake?

NotLiquid

So people have finished it, eh? I only have one question: is it worthy of the Danganronpa moniker?

Oh, and was that disappointing ending people were talking about before true or fake?

For a spinoff I'd say it's worthy. It made actually like Fukawa, go figure.

That ending was fake, and thank fuck for that.

Top Bottom