• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls |OT| Monokuma and Co.

Thud

Finished chapter 1 yesterday with an A ranking. Missed one hidden kid and a monokuman challenge. Probably the first bomber, which I finished after the bomber calmed down.

Jazzem

A ways into chapter 4 now...man, you guys weren't kidding when you said this game hits uncomfortable territory...even with all the warnings, I'm surprised how much it's made me wince. The dissonance of the bombastic Danganronpa presentation is only heightening that.

On a lighter note, I'm so glad the game is native res on the Vita, I wish that was more of a precedent than it is on the system.

The end of Chapter 2 and the start of Chapter 3 was pretty great.
I loved seeing Makoto again, and it was nice to see him and Komaru interacting. Toko also has some amazing moments there. And now it makes sense why folks connected to everyone from the first game are there. I also like how the mere mention of Junko was enough to freak them out.

FluxWaveZ

The end of Chapter 2 and the start of Chapter 3 was pretty great.
And now it makes sense why folks connected to everyone from the first game are there.

One of my favorite explanations in DR:AE.
I was initially put off by all of these DR1 callbacks in the form of relatives and such for seemingly no reason, but when the "Demon" and hunting game explanations came up it made way more sense than whatever excuse I thought they could come up with. Immediately turned around what felt like blatant pandering into something that directly tied into DR1 in a meaningful way.

Though (DR1 + DR:AE Ch. 3 beginning spoilers):
They mention that one of Monokuma's motivations that he never got to execute in DR1 was that those the DR1 cast cared for the most would have to kill off each other in a killing game. Was that ever mentioned in DR1? I remember the DVDs, causing Sayaka in particular to freak out and want to escape, but I don't remember the elaboration that then those they cared for the most would go through what they did if they didn't kill at some point.

Can I get some help here? Chapter 4 related.

So I'm trying to do the dumb little challenge from one of the Monokuma Kids and I totally didn't know that once you go past the hint screen you can't read it anymore. Anyone know the solution? It's the one with all the trash cans with the painted letters on them that you get right after leaving the shrine.

Kinsei

Banned
Can I get some help here? Chapter 4 related.

So I'm trying to do the dumb little challenge from one of the Monokuma Kids and I totally didn't know that once you go past the hint screen you can't read it anymore. Anyone know the solution? It's the one with all the trash cans with the painted letters on them that you get right after leaving the shrine.

The letters represent the intersections the trash cans are located in. Find the one that doesn't match up by opening the map each time you reach one. Not sure if it's random or not, but for me the correct one was in the upper right corner of the map.

The letters represent the intersections the trash cans are located in. Find the one that doesn't match up by opening the map each time you reach one. Not sure if it's random or not, but for me the correct one wasin the upper right corner of the map.

You da true MVP, yo. Thanks.

mankoto

One of my favorite explanations in DR:AE.
I was initially put off by all of these DR1 callbacks in the form of relatives and such for seemingly no reason, but when the "Demon" and hunting game explanations came up it made way more sense than whatever excuse I thought they could come up with. Immediately turned around what felt like blatant pandering into something that directly tied into DR1 in a meaningful way.

They mention that one of Monokuma's motivations that he never got to execute in DR1 was that those the DR1 cast cared for the most would have to kill off each other in a killing game. Was that ever mentioned in DR1? I remember the DVDs, causing Sayaka in particular to freak out and want to escape, but I don't remember the elaboration that then those they cared for the most would go through what they did if they didn't kill at some point.

DR1 spoilers
It was never a motive/attached to the original motive. The original motive was "to find out what happened to the people/thing you cared about". Not "or were going to start up a killing game of their own." So to see that come up is really, really jarring in that aspect. But, Makoto did say it was an unused motive, so maybe they found Junko's plans somewhere on what all of the eventual motives would have been. I mean AE takes place, 6 months or so after the first game right? That's enough time to thoroughly investigate everything in the school.

Nishastra

Banned
Just finished the game. Toko was my favorite character from DR1, which is the primary reason why I bought this, and I wasn't disappointed :p

FluxWaveZ

DR1 spoilers
It was never a motive/attached to the original motive. The original motive was "to find out what happened to the people/thing you cared about". Not "or were going to start up a killing game of their own." So to see that come up is really, really jarring in that aspect. But, Makoto did say it was an unused motive, so maybe they found Junko's plans somewhere on what all of the eventual motives would have been. I mean AE takes place, 6 months or so after the first game right? That's enough time to thoroughly investigate everything in the school.

That explains why I couldn't remember it. Without your theory here, it's almost a retcon.

kgtrep

Finished Chapter 4 with a C. It was way too long and I'm going to hate having to redo it for a better grade.
I really like Toko's backstory and her development as a normal person. And yeah, Haiji is crazy.

kewlmyc

Finished Chapter 4 with a C. It was way too long and I'm going to hate having to redo it for a better grade.
I really like Toko's backstory and her development as a normal person. And yeah, Haiji is crazy.

*minor spoilers about Haiji's taste in women*
He's also into girls much younger than Toko.
What a weird line to just throw in there.

So I've been in despair. My order has been "Preparing to ship" from amazon for five days and was sad...

And then I get it in the mail today! There is hope!

Can't wait to start it in a few minutes. Been waitimg for this one!

The order still says preparing. I wonder if I can request cancelation? I won't even tho I needs money, but that button is so tempting lol. Just glad to have the game finally!

*minor spoilers about Haiji's taste in women*
He's also into girls much younger than Toko.
What a weird line to just throw in there.
He likes them as young as possible.

I thought it was gonna turn around to be that Haiji diddled her fiddle. I wonder if that scene was supposed it make you hate Haiji.

Also thought it was gonna turn out that Junko was the mistress.

Got this game via PSN a few days ago, and I'm really liking it! Controls can feel kind of janky at times, but the game is a very solid third person shooter/action. I'm loving the call backs to previous Danganronpa games, and seeing Toko again got me all <3.

Also, I just started chapter 3. This is kind of a spoiler, so I'll tag it but...did anybody else
freeze on the dialogue where Monaca starts punching Kotoko in the face? I've left it there for about fifteen minutes now. Fifteen minutes of Monaca punching Kotoko in the face. It's funny.

Got this game via PSN a few days ago, and I'm really liking it! Controls can feel kind of janky at times, but the game is a very solid third person shooter/action. I'm loving the call backs to previous Danganronpa games, and seeing Toko again got me all <3.

Also, I just started chapter 3. This is kind of a spoiler, so I'll tag it but...did anybody else
freeze on the dialogue where Monaca starts punching Kotoko in the face? I've left it there for about fifteen minutes now. Fifteen minutes of Monaca punching Kotoko in the face. It's funny.

Yes, yes I did.

And I can't figure out what character Haiji reminds me of. When he gets angry you can hear Kanji from P4 but normal talking I can't figure out which character his voice is reminding me of.

Yes, yes I did.

And I can't figure out what character Haiji reminds me of. When he gets angry you can hear Kanji from P4 but normal talking I can't figure out which character his voice is reminding me of.

Well Matthew Mercer did replace Troy Baker for Kanji for some of the P4 spinoffs. Maybe you're thinking of Chrom from Fire Emblem or Leon from Resident Evil 6 or Alvin from Tales of Xillia. Dude gets around.

Hey can anyone tell me how to save?

I've read on here that theres a save bug between chapters, but I can't find anywhere else to save. I beat the Prologue and saved there, but thats between chapters.

Menu doesn't work on story scenes, only while in gameplay, but the menu only has a load option amd not a save option. >_<

Kinsei

Banned
Hey can anyone tell me how to save?

I've read on here that theres a save bug between chapters, but I can't find anywhere else to save. I beat the Prologue and saved there, but thats between chapters.

Menu doesn't work on story scenes, only while in gameplay, but the menu only has a load option amd not a save option. >_<

There's training potties in the chapters. Those are save points.

There's training potties in the chapters. Those are save points.
Alrighty then, thanks! :)

Guess I just haven't gotten to them yet. I guess the move to 3D killed the save at anytime function lol.

RIP in piece save anywhere feature.

Just wanted to make sure, tho unless the game crashes I'm not quitting it until I beat it anywayz.

Well Matthew Mercer did replace Troy Baker for Kanji for some of the P4 spinoffs. Maybe you're thinking of Chrom from Fire Emblem or Leon from Resident Evil 6 or Alvin from Tales of Xillia. Dude gets around.

I knew it was Mercer, which is probably why I had Kanji pop in my head knowing he voices Kanji. Could be Chrom or Alvin, haven't played those games in a while, never played RE6.

Maybe it is because I have heard his voice in soooooo many things, but I think I was thinking Aikuro Mikisugi from Kill La Kill. That or Robin in Arkham Knight. Last 2 things I've heard him in.

Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia?

I have yet to play it, even though it's sitting there on my shelf unopened.

Also, as I posted in the spoilers thread, this link has a list of all the collectables in list order. In case you need to know what collectables you are missing.

FluxWaveZ

I'm surprised this save problem is so pervasive, I didn't encounter it once during my playthrough. I wonder if it could have something to do with that Japanese dub patch, though I was hearing about possible save problems before the NA release for the Japanese version.

Thud

You could just use the suspend mode on the vita or regular potty save points. I'm using mutiple saves just to be sure.

I'm surprised this save problem is so pervasive, I didn't encounter it once during my playthrough. I wonder if it could have something to do with that Japanese dub patch, though I was hearing about possible save problems before the NA release for the Japanese version.

I haven't downloaded the Japanese VAs and still ended up running into the bug, so it can definitely happen without it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You could just use the suspend mode on the vita or regular potty save points. I'm using mutiple saves just to be sure.
That's what I've been doing, aside when I want to sync my trophies, but yeah, I've been saving in 2 slots just to be safe & kept my Vita in suspend/sleep mode.

I'm up to chapter 4 right now. I've been A-ranking the chapters, though I did have trouble with one room in Chapter 3:
The third room where the idea was to blow the bomb monokuma sideways with the one in the middle. I was using Shockwave at first, but it always seemed to leave one Monokuma alive. I went with Break and that ended up getting them all. I can only assume Shockwave made the middle bomber fly forward a little too much, which in turn made the one oo its right fly off diagonally just enough to spare one of the jumping monokuma.

So far I'm having a lot of fun with the game. I'd say my only major gripe is that the cutscenes can last for a pretty long while, and sometimes feel intrusive with how often they can happen. Fortunately there's a fair amount of gameplay between each segment. I'd be interested in comparing the length of the game + cutscenes vs the game itself.

In addition, somewhere early in the game I missed picking up the second Socki chapter. It's absence taunts me whenever I look in the file section.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Same thing happened to me, I picked up the 3rd part of Socki & wondered how I managed to miss the 2nd one in the first chapter. Oh well, guess I'm gonna have to replay the entire game afterwards to get everything.

The puzzle rooms are really the gem of this game. They're always a lot of fun. I'd like a lot more of those, and less of the more action-y segments. I think that would be a more solid overall game.

Early chapter 3 stuff:
Man, fuck Monaca. The way she was messing around with Kotoko, and then started beating her was just...ugh. She's very easy to hate.

BTA

Finally got the chance to finish up chapter 1 earlier and get into chapter 2, though I'm still pretty early on.

It's not like I don't have a pretty solid idea of what's coming and who it's about at this point, but I'm really not looking forward to chapter 3's explanation for that kid's backstory given how this one was already that random and blunt without any real reason for it.

Busaiku

Bleh, got totally stumped on the lifesavers.
Thought I had to find 3 circles that lined up, and the key would be after that sequence...

Steel

Banned
The puzzle rooms are really the gem of this game. They're always a lot of fun. I'd like a lot more of those, and less of the more action-y segments. I think that would be a more solid overall game.

Early chapter 3 stuff:
Man, fuck Monaca. The way she was messing around with Kotoko, and then started beating her was just...ugh. She's very easy to hate.

In the later chapters I felt like I was going through puzzle rooms more often than I was going from point A to point B.

Kinsei

Banned
Bleh, got totally stumped on the lifesavers.
Thought I had to find 3 circles that lined up, and the key would be after that sequence...

That's what it was. You look through the three life savers lined up and see the right key through them.

FluxWaveZ

Heh, none of the trophies I got for this game registered at all since I had to switch accounts before they were updated on PSN, so I guess I'll have to do another playthrough after all.

(End of ch4/beginning of 5)

That is one big ass Monokuma. There is no way this will bite their ass and become the final boss. Nope, not at all.

Just beat the game. Overall I really liked it, but I definitely prefer the visual novel format. The TPS format was ok, but it was flawed. Still, it was an interesting idea and a nice way to shake things up for the series. The puzzles in particular were a lot of fun for me.

The story was definitely the best part of the game. Darkest of the bunch, and it fits nicely with the overall Danganronpa universe thus far. In future games I'm looking forward to seeing
mastermind Monaca again, and potentially the other warriors of hope (specifically Kotoko).

I need to go back and read
the Hagakure story
and pick up the last couple of trophies that I'm missing, but I walked away from this game pleased as a Danganronpa fan.

They said that she wanted to reveal it later in the game, but never got around to it.

I thought it was gonna turn around to be that Haiji diddled her fiddle. I wonder if that scene was supposed it make you hate Haiji.

Yeah, I was actually expecting that to be a lot worse than it actually was. I thought that was going to be one of the things that triggered Kotoko or more specifically Monaca, but it really was mostly both a throwaway joke and another reason to dislike Haiji.

FluxWaveZ

They said that she wanted to reveal it later in the game, but never got around to it.

Are you sure that's how it's stated? Because that's not how I remember it.
Makoto made it sound like they learned of the motivation during the events of DR1, but I might be mistaken. Having it explained by them having done research after DR1's events could be alright.

He explicitly said
"unused motive", I imagine that if the first killing hadn't happened the motive would've evolved to "ok fine, here are your loved ones, but guess what, now they gotta kill each other upupupu"

jonjonaug

Also, as I posted in the spoilers thread, this link has a list of all the collectables in list order. In case you need to know what collectables you are missing.

This guide can be combined with this guide to find every item location.

Even if you don't want to use the more precise guide, I would highly recommend looking at this spoiler if you do cause one scrapbook item is kinda bullshit:
In the room right outside the chapter 4 boss, you can walk through the wall in between the monomono machines (item dispensers) to find a hidden area

Top Bottom