• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls |OT| Monokuma and Co.

Is it just me or this game is WAY creepier than the mainline DRs? Even though they're highly stylized, there are corpses and blood everywhere, and I just got to the point on Chapter 2 where
Jataro shows you his latest "diorama"
and I got really creeped out, something that didn't happen in Danganronpa or DR2.

kewlmyc

Is it just me or this game is WAY creepier than the mainline DRs? Even though they're highly stylized, there are corpses and blood everywhere, and I just got to the point on Chapter 2 where
and I got really creeped out, something that didn't happen in Danganronpa or DR2.

Yes, this game is much creepier than DR1 and DR2. It gets worse.

See my post on the last page regarding that creepy scene. Was far creepier after thinking about it and noticing things I didn't the first time around.

And yes, the game is far creepier and more twisted in general. The veil of the Tragedy has been lifted and it's worse than we thought.

ChrisD

Yep, but I do suggest that you go out of your way to collect the journals and diaries. They can be a pain to collect, but their stories are interesting and help flesh out the game's world.

That much I'm still aiming for, always checking nooks and crannies for sparkles. Lame ol' Detect and what seems to be back-tracking is all that holds me back from finding the hidden kids, but even that's enough.

Not an issue, I just used the 16gb card already in my Vita. Works brilliantly! I can just move it between the two depending on whether I want the TV or not.

WXxU2Ubh.jpg

So far impressed with my pstv. Not bad for £20, and it was brand new too! The guy got it free with his PS4 and had no use for it.

that's how i'm primarily playing it. i got home, popped it in my vita and like 10 or so minutes in i was wondering to my self why i am playing it on a tiny handheld as opposed to my tv. lol

Firestar

Is there a way to read the challenge hints again? I thought it was select, but it's not doing anything and I don't see it in the menus.

Specifically chapter 4:
The one with the chests and X or L or something? Read it yesterday in bed and can't remember what the hint was.

Kinsei

Banned
Is there a way to read the challenge hints again? I thought it was select, but it's not doing anything and I don't see it in the menus.

Specifically chapter 4:
The one with the chests and X or L or something? Read it yesterday in bed and can't remember what the hint was.

The hint was to
find the chest that doesn't match the area it's in.

Rich!

that's how i'm primarily playing it. i got home, popped it in my vita and like 10 or so minutes in i was wondering to my self why i am playing it on a tiny handheld as opposed to my tv. lol

hell yeah

amazing for Persona 4 too! Some games are pretty rough on a 55" inch though....mainly PSP games, sadly

hell yeah

amazing for Persona 4 too! Some games are pretty rough on a 55" inch though....mainly PSP games, sadly

although i did find out last night after i finished ch.4 that i didnt have my display settings right and was playing with an inch and a half border around my game. lol.

Does Ch. 5
explain why the monokumas became the mascot for despair and the killing school life or explain the end scene from 1?

Steel

Banned
Does Ch. 5
explain why the monokumas became the mascot for despair and the killing school life or explain the end scene from 1?

That's a really specific question about the plot that I don't think you really want the blunt answer to, that if you really want the answer it's:
yes to both, more or less.

FDC1

Anyway to have subtitles during cinematics? English is not my first language, it would be easier for me Icould read what it is said.

Hugstable

Banned
It's happened before but only lasted about a day. This is the longest I've ever heard of.

hmm hope they get it up soon! Will my trophies that I got still count once the list is up? Been trying to go for finding everything (don't know if I am or not though lol)

hell yeah

Yeah PSP games came out rough and there are no options for screen ratios or controller options like there is on Vita stuff. Vanillaware games looks damn great on it though, just picked up a PSTV myself a few days ago

Rich!

Just beat the first boss

...never thought I'd play a platinum games/danganronpa crossover, I guess I kinda have now

This is crazy good

And yeah, its far better on the pstv with a dualshock.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ch. 1 boss completed.

...........WOW, that was a lame way to go, the freakin' robot exploding was cooler. For a game that's been rather consistant with the despair & slowly introducing darker elements, that "execution" was WEAK.

Edit: So got an A rank on the chapter (only retried one on the final arcade challenge). That's the highest, right, or is there an S-rank? I recall main games had A = highest rank.

jonjonaug

Ch. 1 boss completed.

...........WOW, that was a lame way to go, the freakin' robot exploding was cooler. For a game that's been rather consistant with the despair & slowly introducing darker elements, that "execution" was WEAK.

Edit: So got an A rank on the chapter (only retried one on the final arcade challenge). That's the highest, right, or is there an S-rank? I recall main games had A = highest rank.

A is the highest rank.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh phew, okay. I'm so used to games having S-ranks & such.

At the rate I'm getting the Monocoins, I wonder if I'll have Toko maxed out before finishing the game....or at the very least, all of the Bling Bullets.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So not far into Ch. 2, picked up another Hit List & considering it seems to be everyone is (slight spoiler?)
relatives of DR1 & maybe DR2 characters
, who is
Kanon Nakajima related to
? My only guess is
"manager of the baseball team" = related to Leon from DR1?

So not far into Ch. 2, picked up another Hit List & considering it seems to be everyone is (slight spoiler?)
, who is
? My only guess is
Leon's cousin

, who is
? My only guess is

No relations, she is the manager of Leons team

edit: Or Leons cousin I guess

Steel

Banned
, who is
? My only guess is

Continuation of slight spoiler:
They're relations of characters in DR 1, not necessarily blood relatives. Actually, most of them aren't blood realtives.

Answer to spoilered question:
Yep, she's Leon's cousin.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Aaaah, okay. I got the first one & figured there'd be some sort of connection when picking up more of them since I instantly knew who the first person was when I read it.

Also uuuggghhhh got to a new enemy & they're a paaiiinnn. What's the best way to defeat
Guard Monokumas
?

I liked the murder mystery of D1 and 2 but found everything related to the remnants of despair/Junko to be extremely ridiculous. Like...way over the top and plain bad. However I still enjoyed the ride and was hooked till the reveal.

Should I give AE a shot? I feel that I should skip it since it seems to be about the stuff I didn't like in the others games yet I'm still undecided.

Skip it.

I feel the same as you and so far Despair Girls gets rid of the best bits from the other two games and focuses on the weaker aspects of them. Everything is so slow and drawn out. It just all feels ridiculous in a bad way too. Kodaka is not a very good writer, and it really shows in this game.

Shizuka

Skip it.

I feel the same as you and so far Despair Girls gets rid of the best bits from the other two games and focuses on the weaker aspects of them. Everything is so slow and drawn out. It just all feels ridiculous in a bad way too. Kodaka is not a very good writer, and it really shows in this game.

I'm sorry, did you buy the game?

Aaaah, okay. I got the first one & figured there'd be some sort of connection when picking up more of them since I instantly knew who the first person was when I read it.

Also uuuggghhhh got to a new enemy & they're a paaiiinnn. What's the best way to defeat
Guard Monokumas
?

Knockback bullet->Break bullet to the eye

Namikaze

I've had a PSTV for the longest time but never use it... I think I'll finally start with this game, it feels like I'm fighting with the Vita controls more than I am with the
Monokuma army

I've been watching a play through on YouTube. I got half way through chapter 3 and don't think I care enough to keep going.

Your previous post really made it sound like you were actually playing the game.

Maybe don't try and pass yourself off as an expert if you're just experiencing things second hand.

Your previous post really made it sound like you were actually playing the game.

Maybe don't try and pass yourself off as an expert if you're just experiencing things second hand.

For this type of game you don't need to play it to form an opinion on it. There's hardly any gameplay to speak of, and what gameplay it does have is as basic as you can get.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
OH CRAP. Not only did I run out of Break bullets, but now I have no Knockback bullets as well. Am I basically gonna have to resort to Toko for now on until I get more ammo?

FluxWaveZ

OH CRAP. Not only did I run out of Break bullets, but now I have no Knockback bullets as well. Am I basically gonna have to resort to Toko for now on until I get more ammo?

Are you playing on the Despair difficulty? Sounds like you'd need to rely on Toko, yeah.

Oh, one omission I forgot to discuss my displeasure of: no melee for Komaru. I mean, I guess it kind of makes sense for the character, but some shove that does a bit of damage would have been a very welcome addition.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yes, I'm on Despair. Hasn't been that hard for the most part, but now that I'm out of ammo, I'm gonna have to use Toko despite wanting to aim for an all-Komaru run....but then again, doesn't hurt your rank aside from the arcade challenges....

& what's more annoying is that I'll find one of the machines, but it'll be like "nah, take some hearts & batteries you don't need". Hopefully having the Gatherer skill equipped will make my chances of getting more ammo slightly easier.

..............SPEAKING OF WHICH, "hey so you can only use Knockback & Move in this arcade challenge, TOO BAD YOU DON'T HAVE ANY, SO HERE'S MORE AMMO FOR BREAK LOL"

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Seriously. I see two after doing the challenge requiring Knockback, but no, I get freakin' Dance (which I have more than enough) & ANOTHER HEART THAT I DON'T FREAKIN NEED.

I swear, if I get a B ranking....but then again, is there a trophy for getting all A-ranks, considering the previous two games, rankings didn't really matter aside from how many coins you got?

Top Bottom