• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls |OT| Monokuma and Co.

FluxWaveZ

The ammo boxes are really stupid in this game

It's... an interesting situation. The potential to be in such a poor ammo situation reminds me of The Evil Within, which would quickly screw you over if you didn't use it efficiently. But that game had a melee option, at least.

There has to be some contingency in case someone runs out of resources. Like, Break having a weaker alternate fire with infinite ammunition.

Interacting with the ammo boxes themselves are a pain though, sure. I don't see the point of forcing the player to shoot them with Move. Just let them approach it and quickly loot it by pressing X; maybe with the potential for varied loot by shooting it with Move instead.

Busaiku

Bleh, I waste my time reloading the boss so I take no damage, but it turns out that doesn't even affect the grade...

Do the hidden kids/better grades add any story stuff?
Looked all over for some more after getting Detect, but some areas were blocked off and I only got 2. Also messed up the kill all with 1 explosion. Do not understand how to knock them over at all.

Yeah, you get so little ammo for anything that's not Break or Knockback that it's hard to justify using other ammo unless absolutely needed :|

Steel

Banned
Yeah, you get so little ammo for anything that's not Break or Knockback that it's hard to justify using other ammo unless absolutely needed :|

I was constantly using paralyze near the end because I had stockpiled so much earlier. Knockback was the only ammo type I ever ran out of. I nearly ran out of dance a few times too.

Rich!

For this type of game you don't need to play it to form an opinion on it. There's hardly any gameplay to speak of, and what gameplay it does have is as basic as you can get.

What the

No. This isn't like the other two games. At all. It's full on tps shooter gameplay with a side helping of story.

There's more gameplay than the mainline games, or are you talking about varied gameplay?

You're right - even though it's obvious the story is still the main attraction. I guess I do mean varied gameplay.

What the

No. This isn't like the other two games. At all. It's full on tps shooter gameplay with a side helping of story.

Eh? A side helping of story? The story is still obviously the main draw with the gameplay being secondary to it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*gets the Raise ability*

Oh cool, more Monocoins!

*you only get
extra*

........*SIGH*....

So playing this game so far, Toko has gone from "Yeah, she was alright" to being one of my favorite Danganronpa characters. She's amazing in this game.

jonjonaug

Yes, I'm on Despair. Hasn't been that hard for the most part, but now that I'm out of ammo, I'm gonna have to use Toko despite wanting to aim for an all-Komaru run....but then again, doesn't hurt your rank aside from the arcade challenges....

& what's more annoying is that I'll find one of the machines, but it'll be like "nah, take some hearts & batteries you don't need". Hopefully having the Gatherer skill equipped will make my chances of getting more ammo slightly easier.

..............SPEAKING OF WHICH, "hey so you can only use Knockback & Move in this arcade challenge, TOO BAD YOU DON'T HAVE ANY, SO HERE'S MORE AMMO FOR BREAK LOL"

The way I see it, those are there for if you screw up. It's your own fault if you don't have at least a couple of bullets of each type saved up in case you're in a situation where you need them.

*gets the Raise ability*

Oh cool, more Monocoins!

*you only get
extra*

........*SIGH*....

It's percentage based, and there are multiple raise skills in the game that stack. Playing on Despair mode also gives you more coins than playing on Easy or Normal.

Are Monocoins ever even lacking? I always have enough to buy out the store of bling bullets so far and still have an extra 2 or 3k coins for Genocider upgrades if I want. Then again maybe the difference in loot beteeen Normal and Despair mode is THAT much.

jonjonaug

Are Monocoins ever even lacking? I always have enough to buy out the store of bling bullets so far and still have an extra 2 or 3k coins for Genocider upgrades if I want. Then again maybe the difference in loot beteeen Normal and Despair mode is THAT much.

Late in the game there are a lot more bling bullets for sale and you'll likely run out of coins trying to buy them all.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The way I see it, those are there for if you screw up. It's your own fault if you don't have at least a couple of bullets of each type saved up in case you're in a situation where you need them.

It's percentage based, and there are multiple raise skills in the game that stack. Playing on Despair mode also gives you more coins than playing on Easy or Normal.
Fair enough. I am seeing this as more of survival horror, hence why I was trying to not to resort to Toko in order to keep the tension.

& yeah, playing on Despair, so I'm already getting a ton of coins as it is. Heard you don't get as much compared to easier difficulties (similar to the other games?).

Oh freakin' hell, I almost did the 2nd arcade challenge in Ch. 2 but missed ONE enemy, now I gotta retry uugghh.

Edit: OMG, so does the game not considering it a "CONGRATS" moment if I don't activate the arcade machine before hand?!

Skip it.

I feel the same as you and so far Despair Girls gets rid of the best bits from the other two games and focuses on the weaker aspects of them. Everything is so slow and drawn out. It just all feels ridiculous in a bad way too. Kodaka is not a very good writer, and it really shows in this game.

Better than boring rehash master, Uchikoshi, lol.

But yeah, if you aren't enjoying the story by chapter 3, chapter 4 and 5 won't do much even if they are exponentially better than 1-3.

Labrys

Just finished it, end time of 21 hours. Only thing I got 100% of was Socki the Sock, heh.

Overall, I'm really pleased with the game. It makes me want to replay 1 and 2, or at the very least try island mode again on them. That'll have to wait for after MGS V though, as that's the next game I'm starting.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh right SCREW THE JUNK MONOKUMA, JESUS. Finally got my first Despair Time, though thankfully succeeded (almost got the blue circle).

jonjonaug

Fair enough. I am seeing this as more of survival horror, hence why I was trying to not to resort to Toko in order to keep the tension.

& yeah, playing on Despair, so I'm already getting a ton of coins as it is. Heard you don't get as much compared to easier difficulties (similar to the other games?).

Oh freakin' hell, I almost did the 2nd arcade challenge in Ch. 2 but missed ONE enemy, now I gotta retry uugghh.

Edit: OMG, so does the game not considering it a "CONGRATS" moment if I don't activate the arcade machine before hand?!

You get more coins on higher difficulties.

You can succeed at them without activating the arcade machine, but you won't know the special requirement without doing that. You fail those events either if you don't fulfill the requirements, or if you are detected. I've noticed that using certain special bullets when you don't have to screws things up as well, although I'm not sure if that's intentional.

kewlmyc

Seriously game, why are you giving me "break" ammo in a challenge room that requires only "move" and "paralyze" ammo? And why is "paralyze" ammo so hard to come by when it's one of the more handy ammo types in the game?

Man, that scene in late chapter 2
where Chihiro's dad gets killed has to be one of the most laughably telegraphed death scenes of all time. It's just a whole long bit of every death flag possible all at once with the direction really hammering in "he gonna die".

Labrys

Seriously game, why are you giving me "break" ammo in a challenge room that requires only "move" and "paralyze" ammo? And why is "paralyze" ammo so hard to come by when it's one of the more handy ammo types in the game?

I think they give you break in case you fuck up and need to just kill everyone, so you have bullets to do so.

Currently in the middle or so of ch3 and man is the game sure doing a good job of making me hate the adult side too

You get more coins on higher difficulties.

You can succeed at them without activating the arcade machine, but you won't know the special requirement without doing that. You fail those events either if you don't fulfill the requirements, or if you are detected. I've noticed that using certain special bullets when you don't have to screws things up as well, although I'm not sure if that's intentional.

Yeah, I accidentally used a dance bullet in a room that didn't require it and it didn't count because of that.

Steel

Banned
Man, that scene in late chapter 2
where Chihiro's dad gets killed has to be one of the most laughably telegraphed death scenes of all time. It's just a whole long bit of every death flag possible all at once with the direction really hammering in "he gonna die".

Yep.
Before he started raising every possible death flag I coulda sworn he'd be alive for a bit longer only to die at a later point, but nope.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Will I still get a new ability for beating a chapter, or is it only awarded for getting an A-rank?

kewlmyc

Will I still get a new ability for beating a chapter, or is it only awarded for getting an A-rank?

Only A rank from what I've seen. Got A for every chapter and got a new skill, but when I got my first B on chapter 4, I didn't get a new skill.

TP

I liked the murder mystery of D1 and 2 but found everything related to the remnants of despair/Junko to be extremely ridiculous. Like...way over the top and plain bad. However I still enjoyed the ride and was hooked till the reveal.

Should I give AE a shot? I feel that I should skip it since it seems to be about the stuff I didn't like in the others games yet I'm still undecided.

If you don't like the despair stuff maybe you should borrow/rent it or wait for a sale. But I wouldn't recommend skipping it.

I finished the game last night and I really enjoyed koko and fufu's conversations but the game doesn't get really interesting until the final stretch. DGR 1 and 2 on the other hand had me hooked from the first minute and would not let go.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Only A rank from what I've seen. Got A for every chapter and got a new skill, but when I got my first B on chapter 4, I didn't get a new skill.
Bah, if I get a B-rank on Ch. 2, I'm gonna feel like I have to replay it for the A-rank.

I think I only retried twice, wonder if anyone knows the A-rank requirements.

Edit: Oh crap, there IS a trophy for getting all A-ranks (also one for B-ranks). I'm guessing beating the game = easy select.

kewlmyc

Are there any skills for raising the number of Toko batteries? I seemed to have miraculously missed all of them while playing through to chapter 5.

Are there any skills for raising the number of Toko batteries? I seemed to have miraculously missed all of them while playing through to chapter 5.

Yes, there is at least one somewhere in chapters 1-3. I forgot specifically which but I think it was in 2.

I liked the murder mystery of D1 and 2 but found everything related to the remnants of despair/Junko to be extremely ridiculous. Like...way over the top and plain bad. However I still enjoyed the ride and was hooked till the reveal.

Should I give AE a shot? I feel that I should skip it since it seems to be about the stuff I didn't like in the others games yet I'm still undecided.

If you care absolutely NOTHING about the overarching plot regarding the Tragedy and its affect on the characters, then sure, you can skip it.

However, I can't imagine 3 will be as reluctant to mention the event outside of the endgame as 1 and 2 were. It'll probably be pretty important to have the information given in AE when 3 comes around.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So there was some kind of issue of trophies not syncing or something? I just tried & the 11 trophies I've gotten so far synced just fine.

Are you fucking kidding me! Was at the
Big Bang Monokuma Battle
and the game decided to fucking crash on me! Fuck! All that progress in the story gone!

Although it seems fitting that this is the game to do it. Somewhere, Big Sis Junko is laughing.

Eh, not too bad. I forgot there was a save after
Monaca's battle.

So there was some kind of issue of trophies not syncing or something? I just tried & the 11 trophies I've gotten so far synced just fine.

There was. Haven't been able to sync since release. I lost a few trophies trying "workarounds" before I found out the trophy data wasn't uploaded.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I just got one in Ch. 2, when
you're in the sewers, have Shirokuma check one of the pipes at the end of one of the paths after you cross the first bridge.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wait, wouldn't the A-rank trophy stack with the B-rank? I can't imagine the game would be so cruel as to make you get EXACTLY B-rank on all missions.

Wait, wouldn't the A-rank trophy stack with the B-rank? I can't imagine the game would be so cruel as to make you get EXACTLY B-rank on all missions.
And like that I should check my trophy list before opening my mouth. Forgot the name of it, not to mention its icon is of Byakuya, so I didn't think I got it.

So if I replay chapters, do I replay them as Koko going into the chapter or end of game Koko? Also, is there a handy dandy guide for ALL collectables?

Finally got some spare time and finished Chapter 1.

Even if the gameplay feels clunky, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Although the sensitivity of the stick is too high. I also like the puzzle rooms,
and that Metal Gear Solid game over screen was great, considering this released the same day as MGSV

Concerning the story, Toko Fukawa has seen good development, and her interactions with Komaru are great.
And of course, Kodaka killed Yuta in the same damn scene he was introduced. I didn't know if laughing was correct, considering how that happened.

I must say I wasn't expecting that kid hitting himself.

ChrisD

Finally got some spare time and finished Chapter 1.

Even if the gameplay feels clunky, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Although the sensitivity of the stick is too high. I also like the puzzle rooms,
and that Metal Gear Solid game over screen was great, considering this released the same day as MGSV

Concerning the story, Toko Fukawa has seen good development, and her interactions with Komaru are great.
And of course, Kodaka killed Yuta in the same damn scene he was introduced. I didn't know if laughing was correct, considering how that happened.

I must say I wasn't expecting that kid hitting himself.

On the last spoiler, that was rough watch. Hit a lot harder than any of the Punishments from the earlier games. You know that it's a real issue for people the world over, and not just an over the top in-game execution... Had to take a break after that boss battle.

On the last spoiler, that was rough watch. Hit a lot harder than any of the Punishments from the earlier games. You know that it's a real issue for people the world over, and not just an over the top in-game execution... Had to take a break after that boss battle.

That weakness complex felt very much real, indeed
. I think I wouldn't be wrong to assume that the backstory for the kids is pretty dark, considering it led to
Masaru
doing that.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Play on Despair. I've been raking in the coins, especially if you can pull off Eye Shots. But yes, there's trophies for fully maxing out Toko & having all the Bling Bullets. There doesn't seem to be a trophy for unlocking all the cutscenes, music, & such.

Finally found an English list of the trophies.

Squire

Banned
I got this on Wednesday, but I just finally started it tonight.

I... Oh man, I actually think it's pretty phenomenal so far.

I played up through chapter 1. The intro (which I consider to be the opening + the prologue) is easily the best in the series so far. The ball gets rolling way faster. It helps
that there's no pretense about you being in a safe place.

Putting my character thoughts in spoiler tags just in case.

Komaru is
almost immediately a fantastic protagonist. I love how they've turned the mundanity of Makoto and his family on its head and made it the very thing that makes Komaru special in her situation. It feels almost like Spike is mocking themselves for how boring Makoto was, but also like maybe now they have a much better sense of what they were going for with him to start. Komaru is down to earth, but she has a personality. She's "normal", but she's still a character. They've struck a really commendable balance there. It's hard to do. It also helps that she easily the best English VA for a less character in the series so far. Cherami Leigh is just knocking it out of the park. She's covering the emotional doe run like Pappenbrook and JYB could never hope to. She's syrupy sweet, she's desperate, she's confused, she's daring, she's terrified, she's full of sorrow. She does it all in the first chapter and everything before it alone.

Toko. TOKO.
What a turnaround! You know what thiugh, it's not even a turnaround. it's growth. This is absolutely a character that lived through the hell that is a DR game and grew from that experience. It's immediately apparent she's chilled out a little bit, but very soon after you first meet her you also see she's wiser and she's determined to live and keep growing. I love how snarky she is, too. I feel like you only got a little of that from Toko in DR1 and wasn't really confident. She was sort of snide, but you wouldn't call her daring or sassy. She's comfortable quipping here. But she's not cynical.

She's great. Just totally taken from this tiresome gag character that served as a plot device on a few occasions to this excellent partner for Komsru and an excellent character in her own right.

The actual gameplay I'm actually also somewhat impressed with! It's not trying to be Vanquish or anything, which I appreciate, and there are some beat hooks to it. I like the different ammo types and the little puzzle scenarios and I was really impressed to see skills and upgrades here, too. It's not blowing my mind, but it's totally inoffensive if not outright respectable.

The music I had a feeling if like, even being mostly repeats and remixes. I was not wrong. I felt a sort of wave of nostalgia just hearing that first remix, starting a new game. I've liked all the remixes and the repeats. As much as I want new stuff, I also feel like there are thoughts and particularly emotions more tightly linked to these pieces than with other games. Hearing them again feels like coming home.

As different as it is, that's how UDG feels so far; like coming home.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Aaaaaah crap, I missed the 2nd hidden kid in Ch. 2. Can I go back, or am I stuck until I'm able to replay the game?

I'm really starting to miss having chapter select available as soon as I complete it.

Perfect, I'll keep this in mind. For the most part, the collectibles seem to be easy to find (just make sure to explore all the paths), but the hidden kids are a bigger pain, especially with how long chapters are & you start to question why you haven't seen any sparkles yet.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I guess I should've mentioned that right now in Ch. 2,
I met the leader of that secret base where Shirokuma took me & about to spend the night
, was that too far?

Edit: AARRRGGGHHHHHH, I'm not allowed to go back. Freakin' hell. Why did they change it so chapter select isn't available until the end of the game? Did they not want the risk of people going back to spam for coins/leveling up?

Edit 2: Um, how did I die?! What, am I able to fall into the water as well?! I had 2 hearts left over!

Yeah, so I'd definitely classify this as survival horror, Genocide Jack mode withstanding. It has all the traits.

*Up to Chapter 3 Spoilers*
Taiki getting ambushed in front of the elevator? The part when you're in pitch black following that creepy kid and the Monokumas attack you?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh dear lord, so I got a freakin' D on Ch. 2 because I failed 1/2 of the Monoku-Man challenges, retried 4 times, & missed one of the Hidden Kids.

....so I probably missed out on a skill as well, because I got scolded & only got 50 monocoins....

I'll start Ch. 3 later today, but I need to get some sleep. A shame the big "thing" in Ch. 3 was spoiled to me via Twitter....

Top Bottom