• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

SerTapTap

I'm not really a fan of this base after assembling it myself, but Kyoko is here and looks mostly great

IMG_20150318_191834.jpg

Does have some paint transfer but not where you can see it.

SerTapTap

From the DR3 thread:

No doubt it's going to be hard to write a DR3. And hell
we're basically already sci fi. Memory erasure, AIs, direct-to-brain VR, those crazy machine guns
. I hope it's not too off the wall, but some people think DR2 is off the wall and I loved it.

I'd be all for that. Could be a lot of fun depending on where he decides to take things.

I wish I could be in San Diego next month for their Danganronpa murder mystery!

I noticed more of these games like those escape room and survival games have been "localized" for the US, like Eva and Attack on Titan, but I never thought we'd get a Danganronpa one! That would be super fun.

That could be really cool. Would love to attend, I bet those who go will get some cool swag. Hopefully we get pics or something later to see how it went.

SerTapTap

All new cast again for DR3 please. It's all I want.

I don't think that'll be a problem. My only concern is (both DR spoilers)
Junko will be back
, and I hope DR3's team lacks that feel of "DR1 cast remix" like certain people in DR2 had. It's mostly just their initial impressions, but I was pretty underwhelmed when meeting them the first time. Game took it's time to get going.

Except for maybe
____Junko____
, all newbies feels like the most likely scenario. That spoiler is highly dependent on what happens in Ultra Despair Girls, I think.

I mean it was pretty cool with people thinking Nagito was Makoto and the other Togami. But yeah, that character needs to not appear, I mean like if it was another off-shoot group inspired by that character then I'd be fine with it.

SerTapTap

But yeah, that character needs to not appear, I mean like if it was another off-shoot group inspired by that character then I'd be fine with it.

I'd consider those first two DR2 spoilers. DR2 certainly had some interesting plays on expectations, I don't think they can do that as well a second time though. Same with that character in particular. DR2 did a lot of great things that absolutely don't work as well a second time.

But yeah, that character needs to not appear, I mean like if it was another off-shoot group inspired by that character then I'd be fine with it.

I've said it before, but
the next mastermind being highly inspired by Junko could very easily and believably be the next mastermind. Whether you consider it a copycat crime or a disciple going out and continuing to spread her despair, I can easily see it happening.

I'd consider those first two DR2 spoilers. DR2 certainly had some interesting plays on expectations, I don't think they can do that as well a second time though. Same with that character in particular. DR2 did a lot of great things that absolutely don't work as well a second time.

I totally agree although
instead of going with the impostor twist they could have a real returnee if they really wanted to. I don't think that's a likely twist or even necessarily the best twist, but it is an option.

As far as
Junko goes, I do think she'll be back in some form. Whenever Kodaka and/or Spike Chunsoft are ready to finally pull the plug on the series she can easily be brought back as the final mastermind. I don't necessarily see 3 being the end of the series, so rather that having the Junko twist wear out its welcome, I think it would be smarter to reserve her for later in the series.

But like I sad, all of that is kind of dependent on what happens in AE:UDG.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If it does feature time travel then
Junko death retcon CONFIRMED.
I will be mad.
SURPRISE,
it'll actually be her parents & we learned how she became the Ultimate Despair...or maybe it'll be Junko before she "transformed" & it turns out DR3 was a prequel all along.

I'd honestly really rather the series not get into "time travel" territory. The sense of permanent consequence and taking the hand you're dealt and making something out of it are themes too pivotal to the series to warrant being infringed upon by something like that, imo.

If it does feature time travel then
Junko death retcon CONFIRMED.
I will be mad.

It's funny you mention this, because in the stage play of the first game
at the very end Junko doesn't execute herself and lives because Makoto apparently refuses to let her die. Some have made the argument that this is proof Kodaka regrets killing Junko in the first game (he wrote the stage play). I don't really agree with that though, and think it has more to do with the limitations of a stage play and that a sequel stage play is incredibly unlikely, so he just wanted to give it the happiest ending. Plus her execution feels necessary to the end of DR1 to me.

FluxWaveZ

I'd honestly really rather the series not get into "time travel" territory. The sense of permanent consequence and taking the hand you're dealt and making something out of it are themes too pivotal to the series to warrant being infringed upon by something like that, imo.

Yeah, I think that's my stance on it. It's part of why I don't want
__Junko__
to return, but a lot of that is because Danganronpa is a series which would suffer extremely by becoming stale. Maybe some fans would want some of the fanservicey stuff like that, but I think most would take a "been there, done that" opinion if they were to settle back into familiar territory instead of innovate.

Danganronpa's reality is relatively grounded; I like that, in contrast to something like Zero Escape. Time travel could be skirting the line dangerously but, then again, I could see something like time travel making for some really cool, original scenarios. Maybe to continue making DR games, those kinds of ideas are what it needs.

As I said in the other thread, I think people are taking the "Back to the Future" thing too literally. I don't think he meant actual time travel, but rather that he was considering either a prequel situation or preferably a more futuristic setting so they could do crazier things.

Otherwise time travel makes trials pointless, and I think what you said is really on point for this series and its themes.

Time travel could be skirting the line dangerously but, then again, I could see something like time travel making for some really cool, original scenarios. Maybe to continue making DR games, those kinds of ideas are what it needs.

I agree that it could be cool, I just feel like time travel, in particular, would cheapen all the games that came prior.

"What if we could go back and undo everything" is definitely an interesting dilemma, but I don't think it's worth that damage. Plus, (DR2)
that's already been touched upon to some extent in the end of DR2, when AI Junko offers to bring the dead characters back (even if it ended up not being entirely sincere).

fake edit: yeah, i'm probably reading too much into it though. I guess my image of DR3 is less divorced from the current storyline than what Kodaka had in mind with that statement.

FluxWaveZ

As I said in the other thread, I think people are taking the "Back to the Future" thing too literally. I don't think he meant actual time travel, but rather that he was considering either a prequel situation or preferably a more futuristic setting so they could do crazier things.

But Kodaka says the following:
But, maybe with a future setting those laws can be bent or altered. Then I could develop murders and tricks based on what technology could be possible in the future.

I like that idea of being able to play with timelines as a narrative idea.
He might not be implying straight up time travel, but I'm pretty sure he's not simply talking about a prequel scenario, either.

FluxWaveZ

I agree that it could be cool, I just feel like time travel, in particular, would cheapen all the games that came prior.

If time travel were to be an element in DR3, I don't think it would necessarily have to implicate Danganronpa 1 or Danganronpa 2. If they were to do it, it could just be for cool scenarios within the context of that story. Either by placing limitations on the time traveling (can only travel back to certain time frames, which do not extend before the story starts) or any other narrative constraint.

but I want a happy ending!

If Danganronpa were to ever lose the meaningfulness of a character's death, it will have lost. DR2 already kind of did this in some respects; any further would be pretty sad.

The way DR2 handled it was kind of lame but it makes sense I just hope they don't do it again. ALTHOUGH
In DR2 Chiaki is wiped from existence as is Usami, so there's that.

FluxWaveZ

The way DR2 handled it was kind of lame but it makes sense I just hope they don't do it again. ALTHOUGH

I could see that character returning with a way less convoluted explanation than was given for why
__Junko__
returned.
"There was a backup,"
done.

SerTapTap

If time travel were to be an element in DR3, I don't think it would necessarily have to implicate Danganronpa 1 or Danganronpa 2. If they were to do it, it could just be for cool scenarios within the context of that story. Either by placing limitations on the time traveling (can only travel back to certain time frames, which do not extend before the story starts) or any other narrative constraint.

If Danganronpa were to ever lose the meaningfulness of a character's death, it will have lost. DR2 already kind of did this in some respects; any further would be pretty sad.

Well,
We still lost Chiaki (and usami I guess), and is it just me or is it implied that the killed students hadn't yet woken up? I'm a bit hazy but I keep thinking that for some reason. I don't personally think they can get away with "no real deaths" again though, I agree with that. One of many things DR2 does that was great but can't happen again or it will be much less than great.

I could see that character returning with a way less convoluted explanation than was given for why
__Junko__
returned.
"There was a backup,"
done.

DR2 spoilers
She can't exist outside the "game" anyway though, even if they brought her back they can't do much with her unless she's an Alter Ego sort of thing. And she'd have forgotten all about the trip

But Kodaka says the following:

He might not be implying straight up time travel, but I'm pretty sure he's not simply talking about a prequel scenario, either.

The first bit felt more like what I was interpreting. Not time travel, but a setting. I forgot about the second bit though. It's possible, but I'm not a fan of the idea.

For the prequel thing, I probably was considering the Western setting in Back to the Future III a bit too much.

If they were to introduce time travel, they could maybe limit it to only going back a few hours. That would prevent them from overwriting too much or just flat out escaping the predicament all together. Honestly, time travel is just too much of a slippery slope for me though. It works within the context of Zero Escape, I don't think it would work well here.

I was mostly fine with the way DR2 handled it. It's not preferable, but given the context and odds involved I was ok with that. As for your spoiler
yes and no. I know there are a few interpretations of Hajime's final goodbye with Chiaki, but I think if they really wanted to it wouldn't be hard to revive her. The fact that they're programs gives them a lot of outs. That's why I'm not fully convinced Junko's gone for good.

FluxWaveZ

DR2 spoilers
She can't exist outside the "game" anyway though, even if they brought her back they can't do much with her unless she's an Alter Ego sort of thing. And she'd have forgotten all about the trip

They store her in a laptop, just like Alter Ego.
After DR2's final boss, I think they can literally do anything with that technology character return stuff and I wouldn't be surprised.

SerTapTap

They store her in a laptop, just like Alter Ego.
After DR2's final boss, I think they can literally do anything with that technology character return stuff and I wouldn't be surprised.

They could, but I don't think they should. Especially since
the ultimate despairs/Izuru Kamukura made that Junko virus, and they're out of the picture now...theoretically. At least, it's implied they (or at least Hajime) are no longer ultimate despairs.

FluxWaveZ

Well,
We still lost Chiaki (and usami I guess), and is it just me or is it implied that the killed students hadn't yet woken up? I'm a bit hazy but I keep thinking that for some reason. I don't personally think they can get away with "no real deaths" again though, I agree with that. One of many things DR2 does that was great but can't happen again or it will be much less than great.

I don't just mean DR2's ending, but even a few things that happened prior to it.
Nekomaru Nidai returning as a robot and then returning as a smaller robot. Junko's return.
Those bits trivialized death,
in addition to the ending.

In the end, the characters who died haven't awoken from their coma, but that's irrelevant. It still gives them an "out", which the permanence of death does not.

They could, but I don't think they should.

I don't think they should either. Didn't prevent them from doing what I didn't want them to do with DR2, in that way.

DR2 spoilers

That's what they said would happen to Hajime and the others, but it doesn't seem like they forgot the trip at all based on the ending. Again, the fact that Usami and Chiaki are programs gives them a ton of outs. That's also not considering Chiaki's final goodbye (again, I'm aware there are several interpretations there) and the fact that Usami came back from the dead to "kill" Junko.

Same thing happened with Alter Ego in the first game. We were shown its "death" and then it came back to life a chapter later.

I don't think they should, but a Chiaki and Usami (and Junko) return is something that could easily happen.

SerTapTap

That's what they said would happen to Hajime and the others, but it doesn't seem like they forgot the trip at all based on the ending. Again, the fact that Usami and Chiaki are programs gives them a ton of outs. That's also not considering Chiaki's final goodbye (again, I'm aware there are several interpretations there) and the fact that Usami came back from the dead to "kill" Junko.

Same thing happened with Alter Ego in the first game. We were shown its "death" and then it came back to life a chapter later.

I don't think they should, but a Chiaki and Usami (and Junko) return is something that could easily happen.

True, but I think
Alter Ego and Usami's returns
were handled pretty well respectively. The bit in DR2 was a fantastic sendoff.

I don't just mean DR2's ending, but even a few things that happened prior to it.
Nekomaru Nidai returning as a robot and then returning as a smaller robot. Junko's return.
Those bits trivialized death,
in addition to the ending.
I don't think they should either. Didn't prevent them from doing what I didn't want them to do with DR2, in that way.

I don't think those events trivialized death so much,
it only happened to people who did not break rules, which means Monokuma isn't allowed to kill them. They make a big point of that in both games (though the fucker breaks the rule in 1). Monokuma simply never killed anyone like that in DR1 so it's not like things that happened in game 1 were trivialized in game 2. Deaths (except Mukuro, staged death) happen by students hands or by trial only.

FluxWaveZ

I don't think those events trivialized death so much,
it only happened to people who did not break rules, which means Monokuma isn't allowed to kill them. They make a big point of that in both games (though the fucker breaks the rule in 1). Monokuma simply never killed anyone like that in DR1 so it's not like things that happened in game 1 were trivialized in game 2. Deaths (except Mukuro, staged death) happen by students hands or by trial only.

I'm just talking about the act of dying, not the context that surrounds them. Typically, when people die, they don't come back, and that's part of why I enjoyed Danganronpa 1 so much, because I feel like these kinds of stories always go for some sort of out to appease parts of the fanbase who would rather characters not die forever. For
Nekomaru, the first time he came back as a robot was pretty jarring, but I can understand that it was just a grave injury. The mini robot, though, was a bit much.

SerTapTap

I'm just talking about the act of dying, not the context that surrounds them. Typically, when people die, they don't come back. For
Nekomaru, the first time he came back as a robot was pretty jarring, but I can understand that it was just a grave injury. The mini robot, though, was a bit much.

That was a bit odd, but it's not a real comeback either. At least they managed to show someone actually using their talent, there's surprisingly little of that all in all in directly story-related situations.

True, but I think
Alter Ego and Usami's returns
were handled pretty well respectively. The bit in DR2 was a fantastic sendoff.

Agree 100% on both counts. One of my favorite scenes in DR2.

For

For the record
I thought him coming back as a robot was too jarring. I got used to it, but I was not a fan. As for Mini-maru, I don't consider that a revival at all. That was just one of the few opportunities to show Kazuichi's mechanical prowess. He made a mini-robot clock with Nekomaru's old parts, it was never sentient.

FluxWaveZ

As for Mini-maru, I don't consider that a revival at all. That was just one of the few opportunities to show Kazuichi's mechanical prowess. He made a mini-robot clock with Nekomaru's old parts, it was never sentient.

I kinda agree with this, but also kind of not because
Minimaru would randomly blurt stuff out semi-coherently that made it seem like it was sentient at certain points. This was mostly played for laughs, but it also didn't feel completely right to me. It did at least give some use for the Ultimate Mechanic, I'll give it that.

A tribute for a dead character I liked much more was Mahiru's shrine.

SerTapTap

I kinda agree with this, but also kind of not because
Minimaru would randomly blurt stuff out semi-coherently that made it seem like it was sentient. This was mostly played for laughs, but it also didn't feel right to me. A tribute for a dead character I liked much more was Mahiru's shrine.

Can't agree on that one, that shit was fucked up. Fitting for the fucked-up character but eesh. I don't think they even dispose of it when...events occurred.

Cha

Why does chapter 6 in DR2 give me an "I need scissors 61" vibe?

Lol. Had the same feeling during my playthrough. Keep going :)

As for DR3:
I want
Junko
to return. Sue me
I'd also love to see that person return
in some form or the other. As long as the plot remains as engaging and unpredictable as DR1 of course. Obviously, the main mystery of the game would need to then shift from "who is the mastermind" to something else if she did return
. I'm kind of a fan of that person now.

Edit: Actually, I don't really care who's in DR3, I just want to be blown away at the end revelations. DR1 had me off my chair, walking around the house and talking to myself like a crazy person as I started to put the final pieces together for the final case. I want that again :)

Personally, I'm 100% done with
Junko
, not even taking into account the lessening of the impact of their prior defeat. I'd rather not even have someone with similar motivation.

The writers have already proven they're capable of creating entertaining antagonists with much more nuanced and interesting purpose behind their actions, and going back to
DESPAIR DESPAIR DESPAIR
feels like regression, imo.

PK Gaming

I still think they should opt for a complete reboot or different universe altogether (Think Devil Survivor 1 & Devil Survivor 2). There's little you can do with the current DanganRonpa universe that hasn't been covered already.

Top Bottom