• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

SerTapTap

Personally, I'm 100% done with
Junko
, not even taking into account the lessening of the impact of their prior defeat. I'd rather not even have someone with similar motivation.

The writers have already proven they're capable of creating entertaining antagonists with much more nuanced and interesting purpose behind their actions, and going back to
DESPAIR DESPAIR DESPAIR
feels like regression, imo.

Yeah, it would be cool if the antagonist where
trying to fuck up the future foundations goals to further their own motive rather than just despair...and they use Monokuma because it gets in their heads or something
. There's a lot more they can do.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So much hating on
Junko, smh, she's coming back whether you people like it or not
I think it's less about hating her & more about having her time in the spotlight, let's see a new mastermind. Again, I wouldn't mind seeing the person that perhaps caused her to become the Ultimate Despair, or go with that idea of people taking her body parts. Maybe it could be her "#1 fan/follow" or something. Having her be the mastermind a THIRD time would just be kind of lackluster unless they're all "SURPRISE, Junko isn't the real villain! THIS is who is actually behind it!"

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What if in DR3...

Junko comes back to life but is basically a Junkostein kind of creature. Full of stitches and stuff.

So much hating on
Junko, smh, she's coming back whether you people like it or not

I love that person,
but I think seeing her yet again may cheapen her character. Even she said as much at the end of DR2, about how boring the prospect of becoming Monokuma a third time was. She wasn't despairing at that idea, so her motivation is pretty much gone. A new mastermind is needed for the story to not get stale, however pervasive is Junko is in their mindset or not.

If she reappears, she needs to be at the very beginning. A bigger time in the spotlight may be good for her.
And although I'm not very convinced at this idea, further exploring of the fact that (Danganronpa/Zero spoilers)
she is also the Ultimate Analyst
may be interesting. Even as a flashback.

FluxWaveZ

And although I'm not very convinced at this idea, further exploring of the fact that (Danganronpa/Zero spoilers)
she is also the Ultimate Analyst
may be interesting. Even as a flashback.

The impression I got from Danganronpa Zero is that (Danganronpa/Zero spoilers)
that's the ability which explains why she's so powerful in the first place, and how she could bring about Ultimate Despair. The fact that she is the Ultimate Analyst is how she could control things and have countermeasures for any situation, which is the context for her character as DR1 and DR2's mastermind.
I don't really think that's a specific point that would need to be addressed, since it kind of already has.
She didn't accomplish all that through her power as the Ultimate Fashionista, to put it simply.

I love that person,
but I think seeing her yet again may cheapen her character.

Yeah, it's not even only about being extremely redundant, but it could also actively harm the novelty of the character they created in the first place.
Kodaka has stated that she's like a symbol for the series, but I don't think that's necessarily right. He also spoke of how they designed her to be a unique antagonist that went against the norms, and I think that could be diluted by constantly bringing her back.

I always think back to Danganronpa 2's
Nagito Komaeda
when this discussion comes up. That character is a terrific antagonist; I don't see the point in always tapping the same well when we could have all sorts of cool and different masterminds and villains in the series.

I got this game coming from gamefly. I'm exited to try it out. Was hesitant to buy it but a rental will probably get me to get the second game.

I can't see myself disliking it

The impression I got from Danganronpa Zero is that (Danganronpa/Zero spoilers)
that's the ability which explains why she's so powerful in the first place, and how she could bring about Ultimate Despair. The fact that she is the Ultimate Analyst is how she could control things and have countermeasures for any situation, which is the context for her character as DR1 and DR2's mastermind.
I don't really think that's a specific point that would need to be addressed, since it kind of already has.
She didn't accomplish all that through her power as the Ultimate Fashionista, to put it simply.

(DR Zero spoilers)
As a plot twist it would be unnecessary, because as you said it has been stated as
pretty much the reason she had the capability to plunge the world into disarray.
I was thinking more in the lines of making that point public knowledge in the games, as many people - especially in the West - haven't or can't read the books. Also,
maybe a nod to how having that ability was responsible in shaping her world view and her despair obsession. After all, being capable of analysing everything can make the entire world supremely boring (as we saw with Kamukura).
Think of it as finding a method to the madness.

But then I remembered that Kodaka mentioned in an interview (I think the Gamasutra one) that
she was designed as an evil for evil's sake villain
so that possibility may be moot. I suppose we have to wait until Another Episode arrives to get a better idea of where this series is going.

Trying to get the Platinum trophy and holy crap
Magical Miracle Girl Monomi
is the most suck ass piece of garbage.
Island Mode
was rough too, but at least all I had to do was hold the touch screen while selecting the right option.

SerTapTap

What if in DR3...

Junko comes back to life but is basically a Junkostein kind of creature. Full of stitches and stuff.

Nah, they basically already did that, when you think about it that's what
the ultimate despairs are, especially with Nagito sewing her hand on him.

CBbzvpaVIAAl1zZ.png:large

This is so feep never runs out of work.

Trying to get the Platinum trophy and holy crap
Magical Miracle Girl Monomi
is the most suck ass piece of garbage.
Island Mode
was rough too, but at least all I had to do was hold the touch screen while selecting the right option.

Yep, it's just a slog of RNG. It's fun at first but gets old fast.

It'd be pretty hype if it was like a real DR trial and you pretty much force your conclusion onto someone and they end up breaking down and going crazy.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Danganronpa: The Anime getting dubbed

Bryce Papenbrook is back as Naegi, but I see that the cast isn't the same as the game.

....oh god, Monokuma is now voiced by Greg Ayres, who also did Ganta in Deadman Wonderland & Negi from Negima. I....really need to hear how well he can do the game voice, because he has one of those really unique voices that you have to be careful as to who you cast him as.

PK Gaming

Danganronpa: The Anime getting dubbed

Bryce Papenbrook is back as Naegi, but I see that the cast isn't the same as the game.

....oh god, Monokuma is now voiced by Greg Ayres, who also did Ganta in Deadman Wonderland & Negi from Negima. I....really need to hear how well he can do the game voice, because he has one of those really unique voices that you have to be careful as to who you cast him as.

On the other hand, different takes could be interesting

They got one member of the cast back. The least interesting one too.

And uh Ohgami and Ohwada? Oh.

Poor Feep, no longer Togami for life.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
They got one member of the cast back. The least interesting one too.

And uh Ohgami and Ohwada? Oh.
Yeah, after comparing, aside from Naegi, NOBODY came back. & my guess is Papenbrook already does anime work, i.e Attack on Titan & Blue Exorcist, so it was easier to get him compared to other actors.

Also yeah, that spelling is...weird.

Yeah, after comparing, aside from Naegi, NOBODY came back. & my guess is Papenbrook already does anime work, i.e Attack on Titan & Blue Exorcist.

Also yeah, that spelling is...weird.

Most of the cast outside of like a few of them (Celeste it only looks like) have done anime work.

The main problem it looks like, outside of Papenbrook, is that they are all based in Southern California and Funi probably couldn't find time or wantedto fly them out to Texas.

I guess this was expected if Funi wasn't going to go So Cal to dub the anime.

I remember back in the day FUNi managed to get the Tenchi Muyo cast back together for the third OVA and yet now they cannot manage this? Sigh. I enjoyed the initial English cast but the anime is bad anyway so w/e.

According to Caitlin Glass, it's been about a year since they finished recording for it so maybe they just didn't think there'd be much demand for them to reprise their roles in something so recent? Or the rest of the cast might have just been unwilling or unable to fly out to Texas to record, while Bryce probably would have been considering his role in AoT.

I wonder why did they take so much time in releasing the dub. Did they have no confidence on the product and decided to wait for the game's reception in the West?
Although the anime is subpar, the entrance of the mastermind was much better than the game, even if the extended footage of the final episode still felt short compared to the source. That's the reason I want an anime of the second game, as the amount of craziness that happens there is bigger than DR1, and it would be shame to not see them in the medium. And of course,
animated Nagito
would be a sight to behold.

Or if they find a way to correctly adapt it and not badly dilute it, Zero.

I really hope Funi did license the home release, not the TV version of the anime.

It'll be a shame to not get the extended version of the last episode.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know if the stage play has been fansubbed yet? Been hoping to find it around, but not yet. Subbing stage plays is a super niche, and it's rare to find groups do them (and yet, all of the Sailor Moon ones have been done). This one I really want to check out though.

Does anyone know if the stage play has been fansubbed yet? Been hoping to find it around, but not yet. Subbing stage plays is a super niche, and it's rare to find groups do them (and yet, all of the Sailor Moon ones have been done). This one I really want to check out though.

I don't think so but it's got a loyal fanbase on tumblr so it's bound to happen eventually. I did find a download for it though through tumblr.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think so but it's got a loyal fanbase on tumblr so it's bound to happen eventually. I did find a download for it though through tumblr.

Yeah hopefully it does. I continue to gripe that there's barely any true fansubs around any more (just lazy rippers), so sometimes even the most likely of shows never show up subbed nowadays :/

LX_Theo

Banned

Quotes like this always make me happy.

On DR3 Conceptualization said:
"One thing that won't change is that idea of surprising players, keeping them really on their toes, and wondering what's going to happen next. I'm also not really interested in growing the fanbase or making it more broadly appeal to people. I just want to make a cool game that I'm really proud of."

Quotes like this always make me happy.
Yep, that's really a great thing to hear, from any person in a creative position.

I've always said that developers (or anyone producing creative works) should make something that appeals to them personally, and not try to bend it to fit others. (Though at the same time, be open to constructive suggestions/criticism.)

SerTapTap

Already confirmed by Good Smile to be coming out this month.

Despair to my wallet!

I already paid two months ago as part of a larger order...just wish she'd actually friggin ship!
Yep, that's really a great thing to hear, from any person in a creative position.

I've always said that developers (or anyone producing creative works) should make something that appeals to them personally, and not try to bend it to fit others. (Though at the same time, be open to constructive suggestions/criticism.)

It's a tough line to walk, but when you've found something unique but successful like this you should pretty much avoid second guessing yourself too much or you risk ruining what made it good in the first place.

I don't know why, but at first glance I thought it was going to be a writing from the point of view of
______Junko______
so I thought madness would unfold, hehe.
Speaking of that person, I found this quote from the linked spoiler interview interesting:
Kodaka said:
"When it came time for the second game, I felt there was no one
greater than Junko as a villain
," Kodaka says. "I don't know if you'd call it, 'I couldn't top that,'
but she was so powerful as a character
."
I certainly hope this was only for DR2 and not a pattern for the series. Maybe AE establishes a new development in that point.
And of course, how can I forget this tidbit:
Kodaka said:
Kodaka says he loves all of characters, but his favorites are (DR1 spoilers)
Genocide Jill (ultimate murder)
and Ibuki Mioda (ultimate musician). "I really like them because they're always super amped and super energetic and I really like writing that," he says.

Top Bottom