• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

Vylash

iseLvFX.png

reroll success

To go away from the despair of rerolling in a Danganronpa game:

Nanami arrived today.

Wasn't that hard to place together, the wires connecting the controllers threw me up for a loop but besides that, she's pretty damn impressive.

Bonus pic of Danganronpa collection (minus Hajime):

FluxWaveZ

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls was one of the winners for "outstanding performance award" at today's Famitsu Awards 2014. I was watching the stream earlier; at one point they were talking to Kazutaka Kodaka who was at the show.

SerTapTap

To go away from the despair of rerolling in a Danganronpa game:

Nanami arrived today.

How the fuck did you get that stick in her back? I destroyed my fingers trying to get it to fit and haven't tried again since the day it arrived. Really sick of Phat's overly complicated Dangan Ronpa crap, Kyoko was a pain to put together too. Their actual figures are good but these things are just too ridiculous.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I guess the first one was successful enough?

So how long until Danganronpa: The Musical? Or is that what basically the stage adaptation was?

So instead of the complicated medium of anime they decided to keep with the stage play format? Good for them, but that makes me think that there are scheduling conflicts with Lerche.
If they keep at this pace we may even get a play about Another Episode before it releases in America.

So instead of the complicated medium of anime they decided to keep with the stage play format? Good for them, but that makes me think that there are scheduling conflicts with Lerche.
If they keep at this pace we may even get a play about Another Episode before it releases in America.

DR2's stage play is scheduled for the end of this year.

Another Episode is scheduled to come out this September or so. :p

DR2's stage play is scheduled for the end of this year.

Another Episode is scheduled to come out this September or so. :p

Yes, I have just seen the dates. Talking about AE, has NISA confirmed the release date? I think we got an offscreen trailer with the English voices around E3, but I don't remember when they announced the date and the LE.

Yes, I have just seen the dates. Talking about AE, has NISA confirmed the release date? I think we got an offscreen trailer with the English voices around E3, but I don't remember when they announced the date and the LE.

Amazon and other sites are saying September 1. NISA placeholders are usually accurate, and that was about the time DR2 was released, so that sounds about right. No word on the LE yet.

Also they thought it would be too hard to do an anime for DR2, but they've opted for a stage play? Lol, ok.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So finally gonna be getting a smart phone & trying to find the free games I can get for Android (getting a LG Tribute). Is Unlimited Battle on Google Play or there another place I gotta get it?

So finally gonna be getting a smart phone & trying to find the free games I can get for Android (getting a LG Tribute). Is Unlimited Battle on Google Play or there another place I gotta get it?

It's on Google Play but you'll need an account you started with Google Japan and a VPN to get the store to switch over to the Japanese version. I been doing that method and even I admit it's kinda annoying. ~_~

Other people have been using apks but I know nothing about those.

Been playing the first game with my mom for our Youtube channel. She's been liking it a lot more than I expected. About to start the third trial and she's super into it. Her mind is going to be in pieces when we get to the end, I just know it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Fake, as indicated by the "dispare" spelling.

Amazon US says Sept. 1st, so maybe Sept. is at the very least the release month. Same month DR2 came out in 2014.

Edit: Welp, now all I can think of is the OT for Another Episode having a pun relating to "Dis Pair of Ultra Girls"

So a small interview appeared in Siliconera if anyone is interested. It is basically a Q&A about the endgame of DR2 and some implications for the series at large.
It just makes me wonder if (DR The Stage spoilers)
the decision of keeping Junko alive at the end of the play (and the consequences for the newly announced DR2 adaptation)
means something for DR3.

Welp, now all I can think of is the OT for Another Episode having a pun relating to "Dis Pair of Ultra Girls"

What, no Ursidae puns? That's beary disappointing.
latest

Please get passed this Junko phase already, you've created the avatar for evil to be used by anyone wanting to take up the mantle, Monokuma is truly an immortal being like the Joker. You love him but you also despise him.

FluxWaveZ

The best Danganronpa characters are the ones that have a certain level of nuance to them. This is why, the more I think about it, Chiaki is one of my least favorite characters in the series, and it's why Nagito's my favorite.
Junko
would have been as well once the novelty of who they are wore off immediately after they reappeared in Danganronpa 2, but Danganronpa Zero made that character's depiction way more interesting to me and gave it depth that DR1 and DR2 do not really convey.

If that character gets to the point of overuse (if they haven't already reached that point by now), whatever good Danganronpa Zero did for how I saw that character will be gone.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's a manga based on an anime based on a game? Huh. I don't know if I'd really want to read the manga version of Danganronpa, unless it was comedic 4komas. I feel like this would be the least appealing way of experiencing Danganronpa.

It's a manga based on an anime based on a game? Huh. I don't know if I'd really want to read the manga version of Danganronpa, unless it was comedic 4komas. I feel like this would be the least appealing way of experiencing Danganronpa.

The manga adaptation of the game (so the direct game to manga version) does a very good job in exploring the whys of the murderers. It definitely helps bring in a lot of characterization for the first murderer especially.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The manga adaptation of the game (so the direct game to manga version) does a very good job in exploring the whys of the murderers. It definitely helps bring in a lot of characterization for the first murderer especially.
Oh, really? So it's considered better than the anime?

Just seems weird they would call the manga the same name of the anime...even more so when it was called "The ANIMATION".

Oh, really? So it's considered better than the anime?

Just seems weird they would call the manga the same name of the anime...even more so when it was called "The ANIMATION".

The one that was licensed adapts the anime hence why it is called Danganronpa The Animation.

The other manga I was talking about adapts directly from the game and wasn't licensed.

That's a shame that they didn't get the superior manga, but even if it is inferior I'll probably still end up buying it eventually.

Belatedly sad to hear about Nobuyo Oyama. I always went for the dub, but I did enjoy her version of Monokuma.

PK Gaming

I also don’t feel that I can create a character that will top Junko. It would be great if I could make an even stronger villain character, but if not what would I do then?

You already did

His name was Nagito Komaeda

FluxWaveZ

You already did

His name was Nagito Komaeda

That comment perplexes me so much. Does he not realize just how excellent of a villain he created with Nagito? He is literally one of my favorite video game characters ever, and the majority opinion is that he is one of people's favorite characters in the whole series.

Kodaka talks about good characters not playing into people's expectations, and that's exactly what Nagito does, and he does it excellently. And instead of being a one note, "DESPAIR, DESPAIR, DESPAIR," he is so much more complicated, with a fresh relationship on the series' major themes: hope and despair. Plus, what makes him even better is that he can't even just be labeled an antagonist. He's a protagonist, antagonist and antihero all at the same time because of his crazy actions and his motivations.

I swear, Junko is going to be the death of this series. She's holding the creator back because he can't see past her.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Sad to hear about Monokuma's VA. Didn't know she did Doraemon too. Not exactly easy to bounce back from dementia :(

As for the manga, surprised Dark Horse licensed it and I definitely will get. Hoprfully we can get the others too, especially Zero. Dark Horse is pretty completionist with what they pick, including CLAMP and Evangelion titles.

SerTapTap

UGH. Chiaki assembled. Hopefully my hatred for the assembly process will subside and I can actually enjoy it at some point. Also hopefully the rod that DOESN'T FIT in her back never slips out

That comment perplexes me so much. Does he not realize just how excellent of a villain he created with Nagito? He is literally one of my favorite video game characters ever, and the majority opinion is that he is one of people's favorite characters in the whole series.

Kodaka talks about good characters not playing into people's expectations, and that's exactly what Nagito does, and he does it excellently. And instead of being a one note, "DESPAIR, DESPAIR, DESPAIR," he is so much more complicated, with a fresh relationship on the series' major themes: hope and despair. Plus, what makes him even better is that he can't even just be labeled an antagonist. He's a protagonist, antagonist and antihero all at the same time because of his crazy actions and his motivations.

I swear, Junko is going to be the death of this series. She's holding the creator back because he can't see past her.
I assume he sees
her
as the maxim of the ideal of despair in the series, even if that makes the character shallow (DR0 notwithstanding). He may think that he can't go even further in that idea of pure, unadulterated dispair, so he believes that's it for such a core element of the narrative.

Even so, I agree with both of you that Nagito is a much more well rounded character; both his twisted logic and values make him a better villiain overall - if we can even call him that after everything that transcurred in the course of the game. He was pretty active through the entire game, so his involvement is more interesting than the plot dump that happened at both games' Chapter 6.
Junko
is this larger than life figure, but the contradiction of Nagito's hope compared to Naegi's is a big part of what makes Danganronpa 2 a better experience than the first one.

PK Gaming

Yeah, I don't think I like his mentality very much. DanganRonpa as a series, for me, has always been subverting and one-upping expectations. It's honestly a little disheartening to read that he's toying with the idea of
Junko coming back.
In the end, i'm confident that she won't be a major antagonist in the 3rd game, but I had hoped he'd have a different perspective on her. Something along the lines of "
Junko
was awesome, but the next villain is going to be even greater!"

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I still think it could work if they ran with the idea mentioned at the end of DR2 with
Junko's body parts being taken by her disciples
, or have it be someone related to them in some form, like their "biggest fan", or hell, what if it was one of their parents that caused them to grow up as the way they turned out? What happened to them? Did they play a role?

Heck, imagine if DR3, you think they back, BUT THEN SURPRISE, THE ACTUAL, REAL VILLAIN APPEARS! Maybe that could work as a twist.

So uh, while I was making this post, I was wondering, what's the rule on the character of
Junko
& the fact that
she's the main villain
? I could've sworn the rule for this thread was that DR1, DR2, and DR if were fair game, but Another Episode spoilers were to be hidden because the game's not out yet.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Here's the Another Episode LE. $65.

image.jpg

LE includes:
- 32 page, soft cover art book
- 15 track, single disc original soundtrack with jewel case
- Collector's box
- Bonus Item #1: Warriors of Hope & Kurokuma Set Box (Includes: 4.5" Diameter Tie Clip, Warriors of Hope Pin)
- Bonus Item #2: Kurokuma Tie
- Bonus Item #3: Kurokuma Eyepatch

SerTapTap

Bought it. If I'm not wrong, it looks like NISA has standardized an LE box for Vita games so we'll probably be seeing a lot more of the paperback art book, LE CD + a small trinket I guess. Not bad but not going for gusto either.

Top Bottom