• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

Looking way, way back post-DR and pre-DR2 I believe this was the official announcement for DR2.

SkX9SPN.png

And this was in Summer 2011 a full year before the game even released in Japan. So I think it's possible for it to appear at TGS but not playable or anything, more so a trailer maybe at most. Development was announced in March but IDK how much they've covered since then anything is possible though.

Looking way, way back post-DR and pre-DR2 I believe this was the official announcement for DR2.

And this was in Summer 2011 a full year before the game even released in Japan. So I think it's possible for it to appear at TGS but not playable or anything, more so a trailer maybe at most. Development was announced in March but IDK how much they've covered since then anything is possible though.

Maybe is the high after the ZE3 announcement, but it wouldn't surprise me that Spike Chunsoft have an initial trailer for DR3 at TGS on the vein of the first one for Another Episode. I haven't seen many media for AE, but this one looks very early compared to the final game. It is one of their biggest properties, so it would surprise me they pass on the opportunity for a showcase there.

Also, on the topic of that DR2 image, it is a pretty early one - the focus on Byakuya and Akane present a different premise, and because of the little differences on the designs of both Hajime and Chiaki. I can safely say that it was shown before the development of Nagito and his influence on the entire game story. Still, it is interesting to look at what could have been (I think Akane was going to be the main villain - the Ultimate Sinner I believe) and what we got (Komaeda's character arc). So if we got any developments on DR3 they would be around the same point of this concept art.

But maybe is just my wish of having both of my favorite VN getting to their climax the next year.

Just finished first chapter of Danganronpa 2.

What the hell. The game felt bigger, more absurd and longer this time around damn!!
I need to take a breather after finishing Chapter 1.
First time playing it? I'll be careful around these parts of GAF.

This was completely random, but I saw that Heather Halley is following me on twitter, so I went to wiki to check what roles she had in the games she's voiced and she was credited as a character from Another Episode.

Probably fake or just a really weird mistake but it just seemed so random lol.

So I posted this way back in December, a few months before Another Episode was even announced for the US... and it's apparently true? Lol, who let's this stuff slip by and on wikipedia of all places?

FluxWaveZ

Finished watching the Illbleed LP, which I did because Kodaka cited it as an inspiration for Danganronpa in his latest interview with Kinda Funny. The game is very silly and unorthodox, but it is also charming and it's unfortunate that its future was not a happy one (it didn't get a sequel the developers were hoping for it to get, or the enhanced Xbox remake that was announced for it in 2004).

I recommend watching through the LP if you haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjGD7IzDN8E

Good lord, if we get ZE3 and DR3 in the west next year

giphy.gif

As for DR3
hopefully some characters from DR2 come back...like Ibuki and Mahiru for the side of Hope

Also would love there to be some sort of ZExDR game...not sure what genre but would love them to figure out a cross over.

jonjonaug

So I finished DR 1 + 2 in the space of about two weeks.

DR1 thoughts: The concept is pretty interesting and the execution of it is pulled off quite well in the last chapters of the game. The characters are all pretty fun, but outside of Sakura, Toko, Hagakure, and Aoi I'm pretty sure every one of them could have died and I wouldn't have cared. The difficulty of the mysteries of the game (both the overall plot and the individual chapters) was way too low and that combined with not caring about the cast made most of the trials feel like I was just going through the motions rather than being invested in the game, with the exception of chapter 4. I really liked the ending.

DR2 thoughts: The overall concept is less interesting and it suffers a bit from having a bit too much additional background plot to work with compared to the first game, but overall it's a better game in almost every way than the first one. While I don't like the setting that much compared to the first game in terms of atmosphere, it does give the developers the freedom to think of whatever sort of weird murder scenarios they want. The case difficulty is much higher, which made the trial segments a lot more enjoyable. I liked pretty much every character in the game outside of Teruteru and was sad to see everyone go as the game continued. Chapters 3-5 in particular are all pretty gut wrenching. I hated the ending with a passion.
It wasn't the whole "you're in a game world!" twist that I didn't like, that was actually pretty cool even if it was obvious since the prologue and worth it just for the retro mix of HEAT UP alone. What I didn't like was everything AFTER that reveal. The combination of infodumping that felt even worse than the last trial of the first game, the hollow and nonsensical "you can kill yourself as you are right now in this world OR you can kill yourself as you are in the real world and also destroy the world probably because Makoto/Kyoko/Byakuya are too incompetent to just mutilate some vegetables for some reason" choice, various plotholes in relation to the first game (how the heck did any of that body mutilation stuff with Junko's corpse happen when Junko was crushed to a pulp and Mukuro was blown up?), and the last scenes being ambiguous in an unsatisfactory way (whereas the last scene of the first game was ambiguous in a cool and interesting way) all left a really poor taste in my mouth. I ended the game thinking "Junko was right", which was probably the exact opposite of the intended effect. Also the game brought in the three characters from the ending of the first game that I don't care about rather than the three that I did care about, so when Junko was all "and I'll LEAVE THESE THREE STUCK IN THE GAME" I was all "yeah ok, go for it".
Problems with the ending aside, I still like Dangan Ronpa 2 more than the first game just because of the increased difficulty and a cast that I actually all enjoyed as characters that I cared about, rather than mostly just as ridiculous caricatures.

Anyway they were both really good games. I'm looking forward to UDG in a month or two. It has Genocide Jack in it and Akira Ishida does a bunch of sexy voices, so that should be fun.

Hey there, boys and girls! Do you like mafia?

If so, I am running a Danganronpa themed game for the upcoming season of our mafia community games. For those unfamiliar with the mafia community here on GAF, we're a relatively new community, but we're growing very quickly. We play forum mafia and so far we've been trying to keep things very basic and open to newcomers. Needless to say, it is an absolute blast and we're very welcoming to anyone who wants to participate, even if they've never played mafia in their life!

Each player will be assigned to a random game, so I can't say with any certainty which themed game you'll end up in - the other two themes are in that link - but we thought it would be a good idea to let the respective communities know.

If you're interested, sign up in this thread.

My significant other has been hassling me to play the two games for awhile, I just beat the second one yesterday and I'm glad I did! The series has fun characters and the gameplay was a refreshing new experience. I think the first had the better story and characters but the second was more fun to play. Overall I love both and I'm looking forward to future installments.

My significant other has been hassling me to play the two games for awhile, I just beat the second one yesterday and I'm glad I did! The series has fun characters and the gameplay was a refreshing new experience. I think the first had the better story and characters but the second was more fun to play. Overall I love both and I'm looking forward to future installments.

I think perhaps the twist in the second was weaker than the first, but ultimately I enjoyed the second better because of the cases and Komaeda.

I think perhaps the twist in the second was weaker than the first, but ultimately I enjoyed the second better because of the cases and Komaeda.

I was okay with the twist, though...
I was a bit bummed that the person pulling all the strings was Junko again. Of course, my love for Junko is what made me okay with the decision. I actually liked the whole Matrix thing, mainly because it was a theory I had inferred from the various "subtle" clues from the begining. I felt smart that my theory was proven right, but also dumb that my other theory that the game took place in the future and many of the students were descents of students from the first game was wrong. Like fat Byakuya was the son of Byakuya from DR1, and Nagito and Hajime were brothers and sons of Kyoko and Makoto, and Akane was the daughter of Aoi and Yasuhiro.... pretty funny in hindsight.

There weren't any characters I hated from either game, I just enjoyed the characters more from DR1. However, upon learning a bit about what happen to the ultimate despair students prior to the events of DR2 is definitely making me appreciate them more.

Jesus fucking Christ the NISA store has been a real pain in the ass to work with tonight. Every time I tried to buy DR:AE it would need me to log in again when checking out, then those messages that say "select shipping method" or whatever else would never load, so I'd have to close out, then repeat the whole process again. And since I had to log in each time I try to order (even if it still showed I was logged in beforehand) it would show the game in my cart from before, so it would have more than one copy in my cart, so I'd have to empty my cart completely and redo everything again. Whatever message has to pop up after selecting shipping is fucking me over because no matter how many times I redo all of this that message refuses to load and I can't click anything else on the page when it's loading.

I was okay with the twist, though...
I was a bit bummed that the person pulling all the strings was Junko again. Of course, my love for Junko is what made me okay with the decision. I actually liked the whole Matrix thing, mainly because it was a theory I had inferred from the various "subtle" clues from the begining. I felt smart that my theory was proven right, but also dumb that my other theory that the game took place in the future and many of the students were descents of students from the first game was wrong. Like fat Byakuya was the son of Byakuya from DR1, and Nagito and Hajime were brothers and sons of Kyoko and Makoto, and Akane was the daughter of Aoi and Yasuhiro.... pretty funny in hindsight.

There weren't any characters I hated from either game, I just enjoyed the characters more from DR1. However, upon learning a bit about what happen to the ultimate despair students prior to the events of DR2 is definitely making me appreciate them more.

I didn't mean it was bad, just DR1's twist felt a little less contrived. I also had a dozen theories about what was going on, but
there were a lot of red herrings in the characters themselves. I mean, Komaeda's name was an anagram of Makoto's, he has the same voice actor, he has the same eye color. That was the one I was holding onto right until the end.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Got an email saying NIS Store has uner 25% stock for the AE LE. Kind of surprised they still have some considering how fast the previous LEs went (like, less than a month?).

Got an email saying NIS Store has uner 25% stock for the AE LE. Kind of surprised they still have some considering how fast the previous LEs went (like, less than a month?).

DR2 took more than a month. I think at least 1 1/2-2 months, but there was a rumor they printed more copies because there was enough interest. Still, it definitely sold through its order much faster. I think 2 went to 25% stock in about a week.

Unless they're the only ways to get physical copies of games, NISA LEs haven't been selling as quickly in general lately. Even Disgaea 5 hasn't sold as quickly as D2.

Urgh, I ordered the standard edition from their store a few days ago and eventually managed to get it completed even with all the issues I had with the site loading but I still haven't gotten any sort of order confirmation and it hasn't shown up on my account on their site yet either. I guess I'll give it a few more days before I try to contact them to find out what the issue is :\

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Unless they're the only ways to get physical copies of games, NISA LEs haven't been selling as quickly in general lately. Even Disgaea 5 hasn't sold as quickly as D2.

I think they are trying to find a good balance between selling out too fast, and having them sit around for a couple years (Mugen Souls). They've been doing good so far, and it's still been giving the laggards a chance at getting the games too, which works. Just as long as a few months don't go by with the LEs still sitting around in their inventory. I think they have it worked out :)

I think they are trying to find a good balance between selling out too fast, and having them sit around for a couple years (Mugen Souls). They've been doing good so far, and it's still been giving the laggards a chance at getting the games too, which works. Just as long as a few months don't go by with the LEs still sitting around in their inventory. I think they have it worked out :)

I have wondered if they have been playing it a bit loose with the stock numbers, gauging interest or cutting back on whatever they initially planned the print to be. A couple of them (Awakened Fate Ultimatum comes to mind) had 50-75% stock and then literally dropped to less than 10% months later in the span of a day.

Either way, except for CGs they've been selling out of their stocks, so that's a good thing.

Urgh, I ordered the standard edition from their store a few days ago and eventually managed to get it completed even with all the issues I had with the site loading but I still haven't gotten any sort of order confirmation and it hasn't shown up on my account on their site yet either. I guess I'll give it a few more days before I try to contact them to find out what the issue is :\

I think you should call them.

AniHawk

DR2 took more than a month. I think at least 1 1/2-2 months, but there was a rumor they printed more copies because there was enough interest. Still, it definitely sold through its order much faster. I think 2 went to 25% stock in about a week.

the original plan with the store wasn't to have games sell out way before they were out, but to have enough so that there would still be stock left by the time the game actually came out. stuff like danganronpa and neptunia victory were surprises.

disgaea d2 sold really well for the strat guide version, but the 'normal' standard edition lagged in comparison. the game didn't sell out until its release date or just around there.

As much as it is a VR demo, I'd imagine it was also created by the team as a proof of concept for using 3D models for a game in-line with the first two. Maybe it's adapted from something they were working on in the planning phases of DR3?

I'm still not quite sure what to think, myself. I think the models and environments look great, as they do in Another Episode, but the facial expressions (which are admittedly not too clear from the footage we have) and animations feel like they have a ways to go before matching the expressiveness of the sprites, assuming we'll be looking at them head-on most of the time. I'd need to see it using DR's typical camera. The animations and the characters physically interacting with the words are fun, I'm just not sure how well they'd fit the usual format and pacing.

yeah it's just a couple seconds of offscreen footage and yeah i'm sure if it was made into a full game it'd be a lot more polished, i just think it's interesting to speculate on, especially considering the fact that i wouldn't have expected the switch to 3D trials to look like this lol

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If anything, I would LOVE if they went with the style that AA5 or GGXrd with with, making 3D modes that mimic 2D sprites. They look wonderful and considering Another Episode has some decent enough graphics while still having both 2D & 3D graphics, makes me hopeful the transition will look good.

SerTapTap

If anything, I would LOVE if they went with the style that AA5 or GGXrd with with, making 3D modes that mimic 2D sprites. They look wonderful and considering Another Episode has some decent enough graphics while still having both 2D & 3D graphics, makes me hopeful the transition will look good.

They could also do that Live2D thing, though that limits the ability to allow fully 3D movement/viewing angles of the characters.

Is it weird that I'm more excited for anime style VR stuff than more realistic VR?

Realism is the absolute least interesting aspect of VR

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
They could also do that Live2D thing, though that limits the ability to allow fully 3D movement/viewing angles of the characters.
Oh yeah, I've heard of that. I would totally be fine with that as well. Heck, considering the whole "cardboard cutout" style of the characters, I think that might actually work better.

SerTapTap

Oh yeah, I've heard of that. I would totally be fine with that as well. Heck, considering the whole "cardboard cutout" style of the characters, I think that might actually work better.

Yeah, they could basically keep the exact 2D art style of the first 2 games portraits but with full animations and allow "peeking" a bit to the left and right without having a full 3D model, could be cool.

Though I'm not surprised they went to something totally different for the tech demo of course

redhood56

Banned
Kodaka said in the Kinda Funny interview that 3 will release in an unexpected way. I am thinking it could be a morpheus title.

Kodaka said in the Kinda Funny interview that 3 will release in an unexpected way. I am thinking it could be a morpheus title.

As cool as VR DR could be... I think I'd rather see either a remake of DR1 or a spinoff game on Morpheus. Keep the new mainline games on Vita. Don't risk the whole series on the fate of an untested market.

Considering the entire series is on Vita, and that Morpheus is going to be an expense on top of a PS4, I don't that happening. It's not good business.

redhood56

Banned
Considering the entire series is on Vita, and that Morpheus is going to be an expense on top of a PS4, I don't that happening. It's not good business.
Yeah that is a good point but we will see when tgs comes around. I am certainly interested in Kodakas comments. It was just a thought.

kurahador

My god this Hangman's Gambit in Danganronpa 2 is such bullshit. I'm just one trophy away from platinum (no damage during trial) and this section keep messing everything up.

On 20th retry now.

My god this Hangman's Gambit in Danganronpa 2 is such bullshit. I'm just one trophy away from platinum (no damage during trial) and this section keep messing everything up.

On 20th retry now.

Yeah, it's such an awful mini game. The irony of calling it the "Improved" Hangman's Gambit will always get me.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Easily the thing I hated the most about DR2. & yes, its crappiness is only magnified when you're trying to aim for a no-damage run.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Sometimes, but most of the time I'd take damage, it's RIGHT on the edge where you can't really see another letter appearing, then suddenly it collides & you had no idea it would've been coming there nor what letter it was.

Vylash

i honestly don't know how any of you have problems with the new hangman's gambit, it takes a bit longer than the first one but it's still fun

Is this an issue anyone else has had with the NISA store? Trying to get the AE Limited edition, but it keeps saying my credit card number is invalid. Retyped it like 50 times and it's definitely the right one. And it sure as hell isn't invalid as I used it earlier today.

Top Bottom