• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

Vylash

new hangman's gambit where the letters fly around and you use the gyroscope to shoot them down, logic dive where you tilt the system to choose paths

Sometimes it feels like I'm the only person who actually thought the Improved Hangman's Gambit actually was improved. It was so much better than the first game's.

Vylash

Sometimes it feels like I'm the only person who actually thought the Improved Hangman's Gambit actually was improved. It was so much better than the first game's.
it's a good minigame that people complain about way too much, my only issue is that there's a lot of downtime when you're waiting for another letter to pop up

FluxWaveZ

It's most likely going to be a VN again.

3D models wouldn't preclude it from being a VN, though. I almost feel like there'd be a clash between the flat portraits and the 3D environment they teased in the announcement trailer. There's also the fact that this will be a PS4 game, and that having those flat character sprites might be a bad look for them on that platform. There's also the part where they also recently experimented with 3D models for Danganronpa VR.

I'd be fine with 3D models walking around just like in DR:AE. Maybe keep the 2D portraits somehow, like frequently appearing in dynamic reaction cut-outs during trials?

Puruzi

Banned
3D models wouldn't preclude it from being a VN, though. I almost feel like there'd be a clash between the flat portraits and the 3D environment they teased in the announcement trailer. There's also the fact that this will be a PS4 game, and that having those flat character sprites might be a bad look for them on that platform. There's also the part where they also recently experimented with 3D models for Danganronpa VR.

I'd be fine with 3D models walking around just like in DR:AE. Maybe keep the 2D portraits somehow, like frequently appearing in dynamic reaction cut-outs during trials?

I meant that it would go back to the same style as the first two but alright, they might go with the 3D models. I like the sprites more though.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly hope DR comes to Steam. Not for myself, but to expand the fanbase. Then I can get all my friends that don't own Vitas to get it!

Drago

Yeah I really hope they stick with sprites rather than models. Considering that the -kumas and Monomi in the trailer were all 2D (in what appeared like ingame footage), I think they're gonna stick with that.

The 3D models in AE were fine and were a good translation of the 2D art, and if they do go with them I'll get used to it, but I'd be disappointed honestly.

How much of Dangan Ronpa 2 do I need complete before starting despair girls?

I finished the main game but didn't do island mode or read that extra story.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Finally finished the first game after watching the show a long time ago. Even with knowing the big twists it was still really good. Lots of little things here and there that the show didn't include on top of Free Time and all that.

Starting the second one tonight!

D-Man

How much of Dangan Ronpa 2 do I need complete before starting despair girls?

I finished the main game but didn't do island mode or read that extra story.

I'd say you're good to go. Once you finish the main game, which you already did, you are free to start Another Episode. Have fun!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You should be fine if you finished the main DR2 story. It's really DR1 that you needed to have played since it spoilers/references that more than DR2.

Koeta

So I'm about 1 hour or so into the second game, and I'm very confused.. and searching on google could result in some spoilers I don't want so!

Why are Makoto and Byakuya not surprised to see Monokuma, and why is Makoto not called Makoto? are these things spoilers I should just let be and keep playing to find out? :(

So I'm about 1 hour or so into the second game, and I'm very confused.. and searching on google could result in some spoilers I don't want so!

Why are Makoto and Byakuya not surprised to see Monokuma, and why is Makoto not called Makoto? are these things spoilers I should just let be and keep playing to find out? :(
That's not Makoto, that's Hajime, a brand new character. As for Byakuya, just keep playing.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Any point in reading Ultra Despair Hagakure? I started it, but don't really feel the motivation to keep going. Just makes me further wish DR Zero would get translated since that seems to be the one novel from the DR franchise that's recommended the most.

It doesn't help I wasn't really a big fan of him in DR1.

Puruzi

Banned
Any point in reading Ultra Despair Hagakure? I started it, but don't really feel the motivation to keep going. Just makes me further wish DR Zero would get translated since that seems to be the one novel from the DR franchise that's recommended the most.

It doesn't help I wasn't really a big fan of him in DR1.

YES. GOD YES. Not going to say why, but UDH was a very interesting and enjoyable read, and this is coming from someone who didn't like him in one either.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hmmm, alright. Hopefully the other character (is it technically alright to say who?) will help save this, as they seem much more interesting than Hagakure.

At least Ch. 1 didn't seem very long, in comparison to DR If.

Edit: Okay, yeah, Ch. 2 is picking things up a bit.

Puruzi

Banned
Hmmm, alright. Hopefully the other character (is it technically alright to say who?) will help save this, as they seem much more interesting than Hagakure.

At least Ch. 1 didn't seem very long, in comparison to DR If.

This is the reason. Literally. The other character is why I kept reading, and they basically overshadow him entirely, which is a good thing. It gets into some "interesting" territory though, not sure if you'll be into it, but I didn't mind.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ch. 3 & yeah, things are really starting to pick up now. It's already better than DR If for the fact I feel like this helps give some background to the overall plot & not a random "what if" sidestory.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Finished reading it & yeah, definitely picks up & is better than the story that you unlocked in DR2.

Also, I mentioned this in a few other Another Episode threads, but WOW, the BGM Gallery is completely screwed up. I'm guessing "DSO_" means songs from previous DR games, yet for some reason, they don't play the right music. "Priest" plays "Argument [HOPE VS DESPAIR]" & "Near Towa Hills' Top Floor" plays "100 Mile Junk Food Dash", & if you select that song, it plays "Weekly Despair Magazine", so something must've gone wrong when they were naming theme.

Oh, & "Crying for Love in Hell" is the wrong song, considering it's on the OST. "Ultra Delusional Girls" is incorrect, as it's listed as "DSO_Despair Syndrome", & another song plays if you choose "Ultra Delusional Girls".

FluxWaveZ

finished and it was pretty good, annoyed at not knowing what Kanon looks like though, honestly i liked IF more

We know exactly what Kanon looks like. Sounds like you missed her
Hit List entry, and you probably missed the collectible file of hers that had "LEON LEON LEON LEON LEON LEON" repeated written all over it in the story mode.
I was confused as to what that was when I was playing, so it was cool to see it explained later on.

Vylash

We know exactly what Kanon looks like. Sounds like you missed her
Hit List entry, and you probably missed the collectible file of hers that had "LEON LEON LEON LEON LEON LEON" repeated written all over it in the story mode.
I was confused as to what that was when I was playing, so it was cool to see it explained later on.
yeah i missed the vast majority of them

yami4ct

Been working through Another Episode. Up most of the way through Chapter 4 and I'm really enjoying it. Chapter 1 and most of 2 were slow going, but I like the way it's picked up from here. I think the base combat against monokumas is really boring, but I'm enjoying the bosses, puzzle rooms, story and exploration enough to make it worth my time.

Had an incident today, though. I woke up today to find the place I plugged my vita in to charge for the night now also had a puddle of water. I have zero clue where it came from and there was none there last night. Ugh. Right shoulder button no longer works. I have it submerged in rice, but I doubt that'll reverse the damage. Now I have to decide whether to spend the money and try to fix it or try to find a new or good refurb. The screen on my original vita has a pretty nasty set of scratches, so maybe it's just worth getting a new one. Who know's what damage there is aside from just the shoulder button? It's so annoying especially since it means I have to take a big break from AE just as the story was really ramping up.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wonder what new Ultimates will we have.

I hope we have someone like the Ultimate Hairstylist, Ultimate Heartthrob, Ultimate Liar, or Ultimate Traitor.

I wonder what new Ultimates will we have.

I hope we have someone like the Ultimate Hairstylist, Ultimate Heartthrob, Ultimate Liar, or Ultimate Traitor.

Who knows, maybe they'll even drop the Ultimates. While they were definitely interesting, I don't think their titles were completely necessary, especially in DR2.

(DR2 spoiler)
Well, except
the Ultimate Imposter
, I guess.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Who knows, maybe they'll even drop the Ultimates. While they were definitely interesting, I don't think their titles were completely necessary, especially in DR2.

(DR2 spoiler)
Well, except
the Ultimate Imposter
, I guess.

The Ultimates had more relevance in DR1 though like
a whole of them basically. From murder plots (Celestia and Leon) to uncovering the truth (Kirigiri and Genocide Jack having an unerased memory).

Though in DR2, not so much since
they were all Ultimate Despairs anyway. Their original ultimates weren't quite as useful or used but the objective of the entire game was to cleanse the Ultimate Despair titles.

(DR2 spoiler)
Well, except
the Ultimate Imposter
, I guess.

Ultimate Luck was pretty important, much moreso than in 1.

Sölf

Time to sub. Finished the first game in 3 days, now I still have to do School Mode. Already bought the second game, which I will play within the next few days probably. xD

I just watched (part of) the English dub of the anime and oh my god what happened to the voices

Normally I wouldn't mind too much, but given how niche Danganronpa already is and how the VA crew seem to be fine reprising their roles in several games, I'm surprised only Makoto's VA returned for the dub. Monokuma in particular just sounds completely off, since I always felt the English take on him tried to make him sound like a creepy Mickey/Spongebob sound-alike, much like how he sounds similar to Doraemon in the Japanese original. He's meant to sound like a Saturday morning cartoon character so it contrasts with what he's actually saying; making him sound like a gruff New Yorker in the Funimation dub seems to miss the point.

How easy is UDG to Plat? I did the first two games but felt a bit exhausted of playing UDG after I beat the game but now I'm ready to get back into it.

jonjonaug

How easy is UDG to Plat? I did the first two games but felt a bit exhausted of playing UDG after I beat the game but now I'm ready to get back into it.

Very easy. Two or three playthroughs on Despair mode should be all you need to Plat it. The game is only a few hours long when you skip all the cutscenes and know in advance what to do.

Sölf

Decided to ignore School Mode for now (after failing my first try xD) and started the second game. Finished the first case, which imo was already more complex than any other from the first game. I guesses the kille correct, but didn't see that coming... xD

jonjonaug

Sölf;181143596 said:
Decided to ignore School Mode for now (after failing my first try xD) and started the second game. Finished the first case, which imo was already more complex than any other from the first game. I guesses the kille correct, but didn't see that coming... xD

Dangan Ronpa 2 is in general much more difficult than the first game when it comes to the murder mystery aspects. Murders are set up in such a way that going into the Class Trial segments there are usually at least 2-3 major suspects. The killings themselves are also more convoluted than the first game too.

squadr0n

If I'm still on the fence with this series is the anime worth watching to get the jist of the first game's story? I've heard mixed feelings about the anime but I'm really interested in checking it out.

Top Bottom