• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

Sölf

If I'm still on the fence with this series is the anime worth watching to get the jist of the first game's story? I've heard mixed feelings about the anime but I'm really interested in checking it out.

I am currently watching it afte finishing the first game. You get enough information to understand what's going on. However, most charactes ae extremely flat, because the development happens in the game during "Free Time", which is completely absent in the anime. Also, the investigation is extremely short, so I doubt that you could guess for most of the time who the real culprit is. Some things are also missing, nothing extremely important stuff, but it just works better with the game. I have to admit, back when the anime aired I really enjoyed it, but only watched the first 3 episodes. I think that you could enjoy it, even without playing the game, but after playing it I can definitly say that it's a really rushed adaption.

Finished the first trial and I am now starting the second (or to be mnore pecise, since I have to go in an hour, I will start it tomorrow xD).

Stuff for the first and second trial in DR 2:
Playing on Mean, the difficulty is higher right of the bat, which I liked. I also like most of the new additions that were added. As mentioned earlier, I already think the first trial is more complex than anything in DR 1. I guessed the culprit correctly, but never thought of having 2 already. While I thought Nagito could have done it because he was preparing, I never imagined him to be that insane.

As for the second trial, I can only gather bits and pieces, but this time I have no idea of the overall thing that happened. My guesswork so far, Fuyuhiko was probably the first who beat the game. He also mentioned a sister earlier and went missing when we met the girls at the diner, probably to meet up with Hiyoko. He also gave the envelope either to Hiyoko, who later gave it to Mahiru or he gave it to Mahiru himself. I doubt Hiyoko killed her, I think she was hiding in the closet because the Gum was dropped there. She then found the body and ran away (we saw her running away crying). The culprit - for which I have like 5 suspects - escaped through the shower. I have however like no idea what exactly happend. Fuyuhiko mentioned this sister, Sonia wears a wet suit which can also be found in the closet, Peko was swimming so she could have swam around the island and came from somewhere else, Ghundam was completely missing...
So, well, yea, no idea, just bits and pieces. xD

And some more speculation from me for the overall game:
The "ruins" could be the school from DR 1. Also, please don't tell me Nagito is supposed to be Naegi from DR 1. Having an anagram with an additional "da" as a name (Makoto Naegi -> Nagito Komae + da), same talent, similar look... xD

Vylash

If I'm still on the fence with this series is the anime worth watching to get the jist of the first game's story? I've heard mixed feelings about the anime but I'm really interested in checking it out.
the anime is in no way shape or form a substitute for the first game

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The fact they try to summarize the entire game within 12 or 13 episodes just screams "we had to remove a ton of stuff like character development & speed up the investigation & trials". Most people have said to only watch it as long as you've actually played/beat the game & wish to see it in anime form, but it is NOT meant to be a substitute for playing the game.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
The fact they try to summarize the entire game within 12 or 13 episodes just screams "we had to remove a ton of stuff like character development & speed up the investigation & trials". Most people have said to only watch it as long as you've actually played/beat the game & wish to see it in anime form, but it is NOT meant to be a substitute for playing the game.

I enjoyed it, but of course after playing the game. The game of course works better because of the whole "figuring it out on your own" aspect, where the anime just has other characters do it instead, because it just wouldn't work the same on the medium. For what it was, I liked it, but I would never recommend watching it instead or before the game.

So I finished DR1 last week, and ultimately was a little disappointed after being very enthusiastic toward the beginning.

Compared to games like Ace Attorney, the mysteries and trials felt pretty... dull? Like most things were extremely obvious, I never felt surprised except for the Junko twist at the end.

I'm playing DR2 though and enjoying it a lot more. The first case was much better (imo) than the intro to DR1 and I'm liking the characters more also.

Vylash

So I finished DR1 last week, and ultimately was a little disappointed after being very enthusiastic toward the beginning.

Compared to games like Ace Attorney, the mysteries and trials felt pretty... dull? Like most things were extremely obvious, I never felt surprised except for the Junko twist at the end.

I'm playing DR2 though and enjoying it a lot more. The first case was much better (imo) than the intro to DR1 and I'm liking the characters more also.
DR2 is much better

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Ok guys, I need help in Another Episode real quick, since I'm avoiding looking up walkthroughs online and accidently spoiling stuff. Same with the OT for it, since even in the non-spoiler OTs people sometimes say too much outside of tags :x

I'll put it in spoiler tags, even though it doesn't actually spoil anything, but still

At the part in ch 3 at the beginning where you need to find 4 numbers. You need to reveal shadows on the wall and apparently that and the scratches on the wall reveal numbers. I cannot figure this thing out!

Puruzi

Banned
Ok guys, I need help in Another Episode real quick, since I'm avoiding looking up walkthroughs online and accidently spoiling stuff. Same with the OT for it, since even in the non-spoiler OTs people sometimes say too much outside of tags :x

I'll put it in spoiler tags, even though it doesn't actually spoil anything, but still

At the part in ch 3 at the beginning where you need to find 4 numbers. You need to reveal shadows on the wall and apparently that and the scratches on the wall reveal numbers. I cannot figure this thing out!
Push the lockers in the room with light

Both are great. I think DR2 has a better climax at the end (starting with Ch. 5), but DR1 is better overall imo. It did a really good job of making you feel like you actually are locked in the school building, and I also think most cases are more enjoyable.

Sölf

Just finished DR 2. I liked it much moe than the first, but the main reason for that is that the various cases are more complex and have more potential culprits. Now for some Island Life and IF. :D

Sölf;181399652 said:
Also, why does this series kill off all of my favorite characters? ;___;

Welcome to Danganronpa, and please enjoy your stay.

upupu

Also, I get what you mean. My favorite character (SDR2 SPOILERS)
Was killed with a plot device that didn't even leave her any options. They didn't do her justice.
Suck it Hiyoko fans, Mikan was amazing.

Welcome to Danganronpa, and please enjoy your stay.

upupu

Also, I get what you mean. My favorite character (SDR2 SPOILERS)
Was killed with a plot device that didn't even leave her any options. They didn't do her justice.
Suck it Hiyoko fans, Mikan was amazing.
your spoiler is one of my biggest problems with DR2

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I didnt even know you could do this, I figured it out by just sort've guessing the locations of the gaps from the other side

I'm still forgetting something essential here. Tried every gun to move them and there's nothing happening. No prompt to push them either.

Recently brought a Vita primarily to play the Danganronpa series. 100% DR2 yesterday and just started Ultra Despair Girls. Lucky I stumbled on this thread and found out there's more Danganronpa goodness to read up on.

Wichu

I'm still forgetting something essential here. Tried every gun to move them and there's nothing happening. No prompt to push them either.

I just remembered where they were when I went to the other side of the wall. You don't need to move them to solve the puzzle - you only need to know where they were moved from.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I figured it out. (I'll put it in spoiler tags with full details, just in case...)

So I didn't even think that you can still get into the last room you were in, so all the time the pushing lockers came up, I assumed you can do it off the bat. You need to first go into the other room, turn off the lights, see all 6 numbers, THEN go back to the other room, which will prompt the locker push. When you go back to check the other room, it'll reveal the 2197 on the wall and cover the other two numbers...

My whole issue was that I didn't realize you can go back in the room, getting rid of the big clue there >_>

I figured it out. (I'll put it in spoiler tags with full details, just in case...)

So I didn't even think that you can still get into the last room you were in, so all the time the pushing lockers came up, I assumed you can do it off the bat. You need to first go into the other room, turn off the lights, see all 6 numbers, THEN go back to the other room, which will prompt the locker push. When you go back to check the other room, it'll reveal the 2197 on the wall and cover the other two numbers...

My whole issue was that I didn't realize you can go back in the room, getting rid of the big clue there >_>

Guess that's how they want you to discover the clue.
Didn't Toko say something about going back to that room after starting the puzzle?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Guess that's how they want you to discover the clue.
Didn't Toko say something about going back to that room after starting the puzzle?

She did, but I for some reason thought it was in reference to the room you are trying to unlock. Then it finally clicked... I overthought the other room way too much and started seeing numbers scratched on the wall.

She did, but I for some reason thought it was in reference to the room you are trying to unlock. Then it finally clicked... I overthought the other room way too much and started seeing numbers scratched on the wall.

Haha, that's a problem I'm way too familiar with. :p
I've had quite a few times were I think: 'Okay, if I take this door, the story will probably progress, so let me check the other doors first.' All other doors are either locked or Toko asks me where the heck I'm going. 'Fine, I'll take the big door.'
And then it turns out I need to check the other rooms for a way to open the big door. :|

lol, I still never pushed the lockers, but I did know you could swap rooms. I just eyed up where the markings were

FluxWaveZ

I keep thinking that I'd be interested in a character in DR3 literally introduced as the "Ultimate Mastermind" and see how Kodaka could subvert player's expectations with that.

Sölf

Just to clarify, in order to beat Island Mode in DR 2 I only have to get all Hope Fragments. Or do I also have to finish all tasks, like in DR 1?
Also, if I craft an item that doubles ressource X, do I have to use it or is it passive (and if the latter, do they stack)?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Sölf;181519539 said:
Just to clarify, in order to beat Island Mode in DR 2 I only have to get all Hope Fragments. Or do I also have to finish all tasks, like in DR 1?
Also, if I craft an item that doubles ressource X, do I have to use it or is it passive (and if the latter, do they stack)?
You gotta get all the special endings similar to DR1. & yes, once you make the item, it'll automatically apply & you can make one of each kind, but you'll have to make them again each playthrough.

I keep thinking that I'd be interested in a character in DR3 literally introduced as the "Ultimate Mastermind" and see how Kodaka could subvert player's expectations with that.
1.) First one killed
2.) First one that's the murderer & everyone is all "lol some mastermind YOU are"
3.) They pull a Byakuya & he survives while doing nothing, maybe being a false lead

Sölf

You gotta get all the special endings similar to DR1. & yes, once you make the item, it'll automatically apply & you can make one of each kind, but you'll have to make them again each playthrough.

Yeah, but it sounds like in DR1 I only have to gather the Hope Fragments and the tasks are basically a bonus, but nothing more. In DR 1 it sounded like I have to finish alls tasks in order to get the real ending. I only did both modes once until now, because they aren't really that great... xD

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeaaah, Island Mode is easily the worst/tedious part of both games. & really, you want to complete the tasks to get the trip tickets in order to max the hearts out for all the characters quicker & see their specific endings. If you can do them all, you can do about 5 characters per playthrough once they're leveled up & you know what you're doing.

When playing School Mode I just barely managed to get 5 characters in my fourth playthrough (used the first to fill the report cards), so I was really happy with that.
So far couldn't have been bothered to even start Island Mode though. While the endings in School Mode were pretty neat (and a sweet Platinum trophy for DR1), I honestly feel like I have better things to do then to go through that whole process again.
(I'm also not even thinking about completing Monomi mode, so no platinum for me anyways.)

When playing School Mode I just barely managed to get 5 characters in my fourth playthrough (used the first to fill the report cards), so I was really happy with that.
So far couldn't have been bothered to even start Island Mode though. While the endings in School Mode were pretty neat (and a sweet Platinum trophy for DR1), I honestly feel like I have better things to do then to go through that whole process again.
(I'm also not even thinking about completing Monomi mode, so no platinum for me anyways.)

School mode is definitely better than Island mode. At least in SM you get little bits of character development for everyone. In IM, you never really learn anything that interesting. It's just an extra grind. Only reason I bothered with it is because I love Danganronpa and wanted the plat.

Subvert expectations by having him acting shady all game then have him turn out to actually be the mastermind with no twists or subversions. Nobody would be expecting that.

FluxWaveZ

A developer column from this week's issue of Famitsu includes commentary from Kodaka, how he's busy writing the scenario for New Danganronpa V3, and how he doesn't know what's going to happen next in it until the whole thing is properly finished.

1.) First one killed
2.) First one that's the murderer & everyone is all "lol some mastermind YOU are"
3.) They pull a Byakuya & he survives while doing nothing, maybe being a false lead

One thing that Danganronpa has never messed with and which has remained consistent from the start is that someone's "Ultimate" abilities themselves are never a joke. I'd argue this holds true in Makoto Naegi's case, and even weird outliers like Ibuki Mioda's (considering music as a pure form of self-expression and evoking feelings in others, she definitely succeeds).

The thing is that I think, superficially, an "Ultimate Mastermind" intersects quite a bit with
Nagito Komaeda
(Danganronpa 2 spoilers) and
Ryoko Otonashi
(Danganronpa Zero spoilers), based on their actions and Ultimate abilities. Which makes sense; those two are essentially the Danganronpa fiction's two most powerful antagonists and they use their wits to achieve that.

I guess what comes to mind is one who always expresses how he's overthinking things and creates elaborate plans which always appear to fail completely from the outset, but actually turn out to do exactly what the character wanted in the end.

FluxWaveZ

Sölf;181658610 said:

Kind of, but more about it being "All According to Plan" since what I'm thinking is that the plan wouldn't involve multiple routes leading to the character's benefit, but always only one which the others think just crashed from the start, but ends up being an "I win" situation after no one else but the Mastermind could expect it to be.

Or make it a kind of "Ultimate Lucky" hybrid and have the character revolve around the "Unintentional Backup Plan," where the character actually does immediately fail everything they try to accomplish, but something their failures set in motion actually makes them succeed in the end.

I have worked up an elevator pitch for the game after 3.

tumblr_nwa1aoF0KO1ruwc07o1_500.jpg

I have worked up an elevator pitch for the game after 3.

tumblr_nwa1aoF0KO1ruwc07o1_500.jpg

I need this

BTW, I watched a bit of Another Episode's prologue and while there are some good bits, some stuff is incredibly cringeworthy. Boo. Booooooo.

Does the story and the Warriors Of Hope get better?

Honestly considering digital right now, if it goes on a big enough sale.

I need this

BTW, I watched a bit of Another Episode's prologue and while there are some good bits, some stuff is incredibly cringeworthy. Boo. Booooooo.

Does the story and the Warriors Of Hope get better?

Honestly considering digital right now, if it goes on a big enough sale.
I liked it more than DR2s story

Top Bottom