• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

I need this

BTW, I watched a bit of Another Episode's prologue and while there are some good bits, some stuff is incredibly cringeworthy. Boo. Booooooo.

Does the story and the Warriors Of Hope get better?

Honestly considering digital right now, if it goes on a big enough sale.

While I personally think the story isn't quite as good as the previous games, if you liked those you'll definitely like this one too. Explains quite a lot about the world of Danganronpa and the events in the second game and has pretty engaging gameplay in my opinion.
The Warriors of Hope are actually really great characters.

While I personally think the story isn't quite as good as the previous games, if you liked those you'll definitely like this one too. Explains quite a lot about the world of Danganronpa and the events in the second game and has pretty engaging gameplay in my opinion.
The Warriors of Hope are actually really great characters.

Especially Jotaro and Monaca are incredibly grating. Are they always like that? Uggggghh. (Can't buy before a sale anyway, but would like to know)

Thanks for the answers, by the way!

Especially Jotaro and Monaca are incredibly grating. Are they always like that? Uggggghh. (Can't buy before a sale anyway, but would like to know)

Thanks for the answers, by the way!

I get what you mean. Jataro can be pretty annoying and Monaca is... interesting. Most of them (especially Monaca) get a lot more depth to their character later in the game though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Jataro, yeah, he got on my nerves, but I was able to tolerate Monaca, SAVE. FOR. WHEN. SHE'D. TALK. LIKE. THIS!

There's one sprite of hers that's just the creepiest of all the ones you see in the game.

I think the biggest bummer (but then again, maybe it was my fault for thinking this) was almost nobody from DR2 was in here, & considering what we learned in DR2, I was kind of hoping for witnessing some of the stuff that leads up to that game instead of "here's what happened after DR1".

Jataro, yeah, he got on my nerves, but I was able to tolerate Monaca, SAVE. FOR. WHEN. SHE'D. TALK. LIKE. THIS!

There's one sprite of hers that's just the creepiest of all the ones you see in the game.

I think the biggest bummer (but then again, maybe it was my fault for thinking this) was almost nobody from DR2 was in here, & considering what we learned in DR2, I was kind of hoping for witnessing some of the stuff that leads up to that game instead of "here's what happened after DR1".
I think because of how much more I cared for DR1, I loved how they framed this story, and it surprised me.

Major DR:AE spoilers including ending
Nagito, being the best part of DR2, was also excellent in this and worked in perfectly, and I love the quick cameo by izuru at the end leading up to the Junko AI reveal. Still, my favorite thing about the game is the character stories. Taking the first motive from DR1 and expanding on it.

I watched like a 10 minute segment from the end of the prologue. I wasn't too big on the game for whatever reason despite DR being one of my favorite franchises, and I fucking swear that the two or so instances this happened almost un-sold me on the game. Certainly considering going digital now.

I watched like a 10 minute segment from the end of the prologue. I wasn't too big on the game for whatever reason despite DR being one of my favorite franchises, and I fucking swear that the two or so instances this happened almost un-sold me on the game. Certainly considering going digital now.
she does it a few times, but its far less common as the game goes on

the story is mostly about Komaru and Toko

Major DR:AE spoilers including ending
Nagito, being the best part of DR2, was also excellent in this and worked in perfectly, and I love the quick cameo by izuru at the end leading up to the Junko AI reveal. Still, my favorite thing about the game is the character stories. Taking the first motive from DR1 and expanding on it.

Nagito really is an amazing character, and Bryce Papenbrook does such an incredible job as his voice actor. All DR2 and AE voices are really good though.

Nagito really is an amazing character, and Bryce Papenbrook does such an incredible job as his voice actor. All DR2 and AE voices are really good though.

He did a better job in this game, I think. Having heard Ogata's version first, I thought it was jarring that he had a little an antagonistic tone
before being against the rest of the students
. His calm voice just adds to his creepiness, and he nailed it in this game.
It doesn't hurt that we got this and this.

jonjonaug

AE's dub, from what I heard of it, sounded OK.

I tried listening to the DR2 dub once on Youtube though and it was really, really bad. Poor performances and poor direction. Loads of voices don't fit the character at all and delivery that often didn't match the character sprites used for the lines. Also using multiple VAs for Junko again lol. Nagito's voice was one of the worst since he didn't really have that cheery demeanor that makes him so unsettling, but his character sprites still did which was really jarring.

Oddly enough I thought DR2's dub was great and from what I've seen, AE appeared to be almost as good as VLR in the English VA department.

In other news, I just finished CH1 of DR2, watched an LP before and playing it myself is an utter fucking blast.

Haven't played any Logic Dive, but I actually really like pretty much all other minigames. PTA seems to be way harder, but that might just be due to the controls being new.

Overall, fucking amazing game. Best game I've played on my Vita yet (That's because I have not yet played VLR on Vita though, lol).

PK Gaming

AE's dub, from what I heard of it, sounded OK.

I tried listening to the DR2 dub once on Youtube though and it was really, really bad. Poor performances and poor direction. Loads of voices don't fit the character at all and delivery that often didn't match the character sprites used for the lines. Also using multiple VAs for Junko again lol. Nagito's voice was one of the worst since he didn't really have that cheery demeanor that makes him so unsettling, but his character sprites still did which was really jarring.

I disagree, and it definitely feels like you're exaggerating. Having gone from Sub ---> Dub, there's a definite readjustment period where the dub just sounds awful, but having actually sat down and played it, it was fine. Sure there are 1-2 miscasts (I feel like Akane's dub voice didn't fully match the lower register that her JP VA had) but for the most part, it was fairly solid. I agree that Nagito's voice wasn't pleasant enough to achieve that dissonance, but I honestly really enjoyed his rendition. He absolutely nailed Nagito when it came to
voicing those psychotic breakdowns, and his laugh was almost as unsettling as the original.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I rather like the dub & I'd argue Papenbrook's Nagito is probably one of his best performances, though that could be more due to the fact the other characters he's voiced (Sword Art Online, Blue Exorcist, Attack on Titan) suffer from bad writing at times, which isn't his fault at the slightest. It felt a bit better compared to his DR1 performance at times, i.e. when you point out a contradiction, the "no, that's wrong" felt a bit half-hearted.

Gotta write an 8-12 page on a game for my college class, debating if Another Episode would have enough that I could talk about, concerning some of its themes & such are worthy of exploring. Still got 2 weeks to decide, but considering it's still a bit fresh in my mind & I would be able to reference the other games, it might help pad/improve the paper.

Gotta write an 8-12 page on a game for my college class, debating if Another Episode would have enough that I could talk about, concerning some of its themes & such are worthy of exploring. Still got 2 weeks to decide, but considering it's still a bit fresh in my mind & I would be able to reference the other games, it might help pad/improve the paper.

You could easily write an 8-12 page paper talking about the themes of violence and abuse against children as well as the hesitance to paint them as villains or kill them in the media.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You could easily write an 8-12 page paper talking about the themes of violence and abuse against children as well as the hesitance to paint them as villains or kill them in the media.
Oh absolutely, plus I could get a good amount of stuff from the final moments/THAT moment of Chapter 3 & that one fight in Ch. 4 where
you gotta fight Genocide Jill & for some reason (well okay, she has scissors, she's cutting the clothes) you suddenly go to your underwear, but then the game mentions nothing about it & you gain them back once it's over

The more I think about certain moments, especially after comments in the AE OT, the more I question the intent/what the "message" was, which is good since it can be analyzed. Plus since I play more Japanese games than Western games, the idea of cultural differences would also come into play.

It could either be this, or something like Persona 4 where I can talk about the different characters and the issues they deal with (gender identity, sexuality & figuring out which gender you like, etc.) but I need to trigger my memory since it's been a while since I've played Golden. I've got 2 weeks to decide.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
pmuch, can't imagine playing it with the japanese voices at this point

I'm the complete opposite. I can't imagine them in english. Especially Nagito, Toko... Monokuma even is just perfect with the upupupus~~~ Monomi being voiced by a guy? Girl? I can't tell, but it's perfect.

DanGAFronpa, would you rather have V3 be a darker and more serious game or as wacky as the previous ones?

Personally, I hope V3 is closer to the beta stage of the first game (DISTRUST), a bit muted and way darker. I really want to see how a dark, grim Danganronpa can go.

Danganronpa's dark enough as it is, the overly colourful artstyle works as a good contrast to that, and seeing as it's had a consistent style across three games now, I don't really see any reason to change it up.

The contrast definitely works well, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious about the original plan with Distrust, especially since the first execution is a left over from that when the game was planned to be darker and more brutal. I'd love to see what other executions they had in mind and just how bleak the game would be in general.

DR3 should remain the same tonally imo. I like how it's comedic at times, but hella dark at others. It works well.

Danganronpa's dark enough as it is, the overly colourful artstyle works as a good contrast to that, and seeing as it's had a consistent style across three games now, I don't really see any reason to change it up.

Thanks for the replies.

I do like the style of Danganronpa myself. It's just that... I feel like the plot could be darker, and I'd like it to be so. I just want to see the "Ultimates are forced to play a game of death by Monokuma in which they need to murder another student and not get found out in order to escape; presented in the form of navigation, investigation, dialogue, free time events, and class trials with minigames" premise from a much darker perspective. The current DR style can be worked with that (That part in DR1 CH1 where Sayaka breaks down after watching the video and runs out of the AV room while Monokuma's laughing in the background is a prime example of this IMHO, I love that scene and I wish the whole game had a similar tone). The DR games currently don't feel enough like a desperate struggle of a class to survive. I can't exactly pinpoint why, but everything seems... a bit too cheerful, at all times. I'd love to see more of the Monokuma that cuts off final farewells in the middle after a class trial. Partially lowering Monokuma's "playfulness" could maybe also help this, not sure though. Possibly though, all this also could kill Danganronpa's style... I wish it could keep the current style but move in a darker direction.

That's more than likely not happening though, so I guess I'll have to settle for some dark cases in V3.

One of the best things of the series is the insane mix of dark and light hearted/cheesy elements in my opinion. Though I wouldn't mind the next game getting a bit darker, I hope they still keep some of the cheesy stuff in to contrast it.

kuYuri

I finished Danganronpa a few weeks ago and loved it. Trying to go through the school mode now for maxing out character relationships or whatever. A bit confused by the format, but whatever, I guess I just keep playing to eventually talk to everyone.

Looking forward to starting Danganronpa 2 very soon!

One of the best things of the series is the insane mix of dark and light hearted/cheesy elements in my opinion. Though I wouldn't mind the next game getting a bit darker, I hope they still keep some of the cheesy stuff in to contrast it.

I'd much prefer a mostly dark plot with bits of lightheartedness myself (Say, the current ratio of darkness to lightheartedness is 1:1. I'd rather that ratio be 3:1). It just feels like the premise would reach its potential that way. I'm mostly a sucker for dark, grim plots.

I finished Danganronpa a few weeks ago and loved it. Trying to go through the school mode now for maxing out character relationships or whatever. A bit confused by the format, but whatever, I guess I just keep playing to eventually talk to everyone.

Looking forward to starting Danganronpa 2 very soon!

You haven't got the slighest fucking idea of what you're going into, do you?

I think he's asking if you have been spoiled or not.

Oh no, but I've played other games like 999, VLR, Ace Attorney, etc, so I don't know how much more my mind can be blown.

I was just saying that you have an amazing story to experience. You probably won't be VLR-level mindblown, but DR2, IMHO, has much better twists ahd reveals than the first one. If you enjoyed the plot of DR1, you will probably like DR2 even more.

Not everyone is a fan of DR2's biggest twist, but it's definitely a thousand times more mind-blowing than anything in DR1.
Agreed. Thw twist isn't unexplained bullshit this time around either.

Oh no, but I've played other games like 999, VLR, Ace Attorney, etc, so I don't know how much more my mind can be blown.

Not everyone is a fan of DR2's biggest twist, but it's definitely a thousand times more mind-blowing than anything in DR1.

The last couple of chapters in DR2 are crazy. That's all.
But forget the Internet exists before finishing the series - and DR0, if you are interested. There's a ridiculous quantity of spoilers out there.

So I have to ask since so many people talk about VLR: Is it much better than 999? That game just bored me like barely anything before it because of the dull characters and uninteresting dialogue. If VLR is much better in those departments I'm willing to give it a shot, but 999 did not impress me at all.

So I have to ask since so many people talk about VLR: Is it much better than 999? That game just bored me like barely anything before it because of the dull characters and uninteresting dialogue. If VLR is much better in those departments I'm willing to give it a shot, but 999 did not impress me at all.

If you found the characters dull, don't go anywhere near VLR

Reset

999 is better than VLR. 999 has the better puzzles, story, setting, and characters. The only thing VLR improved on was the way you get to skip the puzzles that you did already, but everything else was just worse. VLR was such a disappointment.

For me, 999 > Danganronpa 2 > Danganronpa 1 > VLR

999 is better than VLR. 999 has the better puzzles, story, setting, and characters. The only thing VLR improved on was the way you get to skip the puzzles that you did already, but everything else was just worse. VLR was such a disappointment.

DR1 > DR2 > 999, havent played VLR, 999 was too boring

Lusankya

VLR is amazing and imho even better than 999. But if you don't like 999 in the first place I doubt you will like VLR. It's similar to 999, but has better puzzles and comfort options.

Zero Escape isn't really character-driven, the characters are really there just to serve the plot.

It's crazy to see you found 999 "boring," but if you somehow didn't like it, you won't like Virtue's Last Reward.

FluxWaveZ

Geeze the costume design and everything about the new DR2 stage play looks AMAZING!!!

Surprisingly on point. Only one I would take issue with is Akane; she looks a bit too "cute" there. Oh, also Mikan kind of looks too normal.

Still... it's a stage play. Hard to imagine one of them being not really silly.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Why do some of them (especially characters like Mahiru) need two people to play them? I mean, I guess I get maybe if they went through a "transformation", but two people as Teruteru? I don't get it.

DR1 > DR2 > 999, havent played VLR, 999 was too boring

Sad to see :c

VLR > 999 > DR2 > DR1 for me. My top 4 games though, love 'em all.

edit:
Geeze the costume design and everything about the new DR2 stage play looks AMAZING!!!

Not much for plays but that Komaeda smile, I like it

edit 2:

Was checking out the first play and am I wrong or is Celes played by the VA of Kaori from YU-NO? Sounds very familiar.

Top Bottom