• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

FluxWaveZ

Kyoko's alright; I appreciated her as a character more when (DR1 spoilers)
it was shown that she's actually rather flawed and selfish, when she's willing to sacrifice Makoto just so she has a better chance at finding the truth.

That DR0 reply I made earlier reminded me how, at the same time I found it amazing at the end, it also bummed me out a bit in terms of the games because
I had the idea about midway through DR1 of a twist where you play as the mastermind the whole time and you were unknowingly setting up this elaborate plan throughout the game, starting with giving yourself amnesia. DR0 kind of did exactly that, so that's not gonna happen again, heh.

PK Gaming

Kyoko's alright; I appreciated her as a character more when (DR1 spoilers)
it was shown that she's actually rather flawed and selfish, when she's willing to sacrifice Makoto just so she has a better chance at finding the truth.

I absolutely, absolutely agree, it was an extremely important moment for her.

I don't her consider decision her decision to be "right" or "wrong" but selfish is a very good way of describing it. At that moment, I asked myself this question:

"Is she doing this because she doesn't want to die, or is she doing this because she honestly thinks she's the only one with a shot of saving everyone? If that's the case, is it due to arrogance or logic?"

It's an interesting moral quandary. She probably did honestly believe Makoto would be irrelevant and she would be the only one that could save everyone, but in the end, she was wrong.

Definitely one of the most important moments in the first game. I felt an intense amount of confusion, anger and betrayal the first time it happened to me.

I absolutely, absolutely agree, it was an extremely important moment for her.

I don't her consider decision her decision to be "right" or "wrong" but selfish is a very good way of describing it. At that moment, I asked myself this question:

"Is she doing this because she doesn't want to die, or is she doing this because she honestly thinks she's the only one with a shot of saving everyone? If that's the case, is it due to arrogance or logic?"

It's an interesting moral quandary. She probably did honestly believe Makoto would be irrelevant and she would be the only one that could save everyone, but in the end, she was wrong.

Definitely one of the most important moments in the first game. I felt an intense amount of confusion, anger and betrayal the first time it happened to me.
more kyoko spoilers
you also get to watch her subtlely show regret afterward, which was some of the best character development in the series. Also makes you wonder how she would have took it afterwards if Makoto did die. Would she been able to continue the investigation without him, or would she have been too racked with guilt

BroBot

Let me just say that Kazuichi's scream face is the reason he is one of my favorites in DR2.

souda_screaming_intensifies__gif__by_allana_san-d82tg1n.gif

I want people to explain why they liked Chiaki.

Her design is great, she's very down to earth when not in the middle of whatever bullshit Monokuma cooked up, she's quirky yet still relatable (her introduction is about how she's quiet and shy but can open up to people regardless, a sharp contrast to someone like say Mikan who is at the extreme end of that), she's nice, a gamer, and of course
is the only person that's truly looking out for everyone since the beginning to the point of denying her own programming to subtly reveal herself as the "traitor" for the sole purpose of sacrificing herself.

Definitely among my favorite characters in the series.
Chapter 5 wouldn't be anywhere near as heartbreaking if she wasn't.

Vylash

DR 1 Was Kyoko leading you around by the nose and having almost everything figured out before the trial, DR 2 was Chiaki figuring things out along with you, not to mention chiaki feels like an integral part of the cast, someone who actually has a personality and forms close relationships with the characters, not to mention her dynamic with Hajime is fantastic and she was extremely fun and entertaining

I want people to explain why they liked Chiaki.

She's a well designed character. She's very down to earth (in a way that makes her feel like a real person who I could just spend some time hanging out with at times), she's quirky in the best ways, rather than the more annoying ones. She has a very strong arc over the course of the game. I found a lot of her scenes very sweet, especially whenever her and Hajime were interacting. They were very earnest with one another. She's also shown to be pretty smart, but without it being to an obnoxious level.
She also has a great arc with her deciding to become more than she was meant to be and coming up with a way to sacrifice herself when her programming shouldn't have allowed it. It was a very tender moment, and it's a great (though extremely sad) ending to her arc in the game.

Chiaki is really a character with no weaknesses...

I think

She's a well designed character. She's very down to earth (in a way that makes her feel like a real person who I could just spend some time hanging out with at times), she's quirky in the best ways, rather than the more annoying ones. She has a very strong arc over the course of the game. I found a lot of her scenes very sweet, especially whenever her and Hajime were interacting. They were very earnest with one another. She's also shown to be pretty smart, but without it being to an obnoxious level.
She also has a great arc with her deciding to become more than she was meant to be and coming up with a way to sacrifice herself when her programming shouldn't have allowed it. It was a very tender moment, and it's a great (though extremely sad) ending to her arc in the game.

I think

That's how I feel too. She's not one of my favorites, but I don't understand why anyone would hate her. Or specifically hate her but love Kyoko.

I'm going to address point 1 before reading on to the others, because I think you fundamentally misunderstood DR Zero and that character's motivations.
Junko was born into Despair. No tragic or dramatic event caused her to become how she is; she is despair. As it's explained in DR0, amnesia was completely and fully Junko's plan.

She wanted something that could selectively remove someone's memories, planning ahead for DR1. She thought what better way to test it out than on herself, so she created a plan and because Matsuda loved her so much (Madarai is the ultimate bodyguard, which is who I think you meant by "Madara"?), he reluctantly went with it. Junko's plan came about perfectly, leading up to the ending of DR0.

Most interesting. As stated by others it would be cool if we had 100% confirmation but I also think it might detract from her character a bit if that was the case. I still would love to play a gaiden-game or read a side-story about her early life.

I think

That about sums up my thoughts.

FluxWaveZ

Most interesting. As stated by others it would be cool if we had 100% confirmation but I also think it might detract from her character a bit if that was the case. I still would love to play a gaiden-game or read a side-story about her early life.

We have 100% confirmation (DR1 SPOILERS):
So what does that mean for Junko? I guess it's better that we don't know the answer, but what could have made a person like that if they were good at one time?

Recently, I feel like more bad guys in games are given a harsh background of some kind that explains their evilness in the present day. But that feels like cheating to me. I felt like the most dangerous thing about Junko would be that she doesn't have any reason to do the things she does. So I incorporated that into her character all the way through the game, as thoroughly as possible.
Again, there should be nothing exciting to her
early life. I'm pretty sure some of her childhood with Mukuro is detailed in DR0, and the rest is covered by how Ryoko acts (which was basically 1/2 of Junko Enoshima).

I don't need more backstory to that character, anyways, lest I go back to disliking them.

---

I hear you guys on the reasons for liking Chiaki. As it turns out, those very reasons are unappealing to me, so her negatives are amplified.

That's how I feel too. She's not one of my favorites, but I don't understand why anyone would hate her. Or specifically hate her but love Kyoko.

I could easily explain this.

We have 100% confirmation (DR1 SPOILERS):

Again, there should be nothing exciting to her
early life. I'm pretty sure some of her childhood with Mukuro is detailed in DR0, and the rest is covered by how Ryoko acts (which was basically 1/2 of Junko Enoshima).

Huh, interesting. Thanks for that link although it feels like it actually makes her character evil for the sake of being evil. I suppose you could flip that and argue against (almost) any protagonist being good for the sake of being good.

---

I hear you guys on the reasons for liking Chiaki. As it turns out, those very reasons are unappealing to me, so her negatives are amplified.

my quote

I could easily explain this.

Is it something deeper than she is too involved in the cases? To be fair it has been a while since I played DR2 so I'm not taking a hard stance on any of the characters other than liking Fuyu, Soda, Gundam, and Teruteru and hating Hiyoko.

Lol I'm terrible at remembering these names.

I don't really hate Chiaki as much as I just don't find her interesting at all. I get why people like her, and that's obviously totally cool and all, I just find her to be a rather flat character without any attributes that particularly appeal to me.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I finally found Danganronpa: The Stage. It's a great stage adaptation! Wish that someone subbed it, but even watching raw and well, you get most of it knowing the story and everything. Everyone looks great, sounds great, and really in tuned to their characters, ESPECIALLY Leon and Toko are top notch! Looking forward for when they finish 2!

Finished Chapter 3 of DR2. I agree it was a weak case.

Though the juicy stuff happens after it.
Mikan showing her true colors. Nekomaru gone all Gigantor??? How does he take a shit now?
Guess Chapter 4 will answer that.

New World Order still owns me.

It always gets me hyped.

My man.

Though my favorite is Discussion-HEAT UP-. It encapsulates the best thing about the series for me: The moments in a class trial before the truth is revealed.

The 8bit cover
from Danganronpa 2 comes close, but isn't as good as the original.

FluxWaveZ

New World Order still owns me.

It always gets me hyped.

I fear that song is going to hit the point of being reused too often, diluting it, but it's great and very evocative of a particular kind of situation. It doesn't really signify "triumph" or "hope," but the word that best comes to mind for what it represents is "turnabout."

The most memorable moment that sticks with me for when New World Order kicked in was when (DR1 spoilers)
Byakuya renounced his decision to participate in the killing game.

Ekoroshia is great, too. Combined with the situation immediately preceding it really helped make it into one of the most exhilarating investigation segments.

Unfortunately, I don't think DR:AE's unique music is as memorable. I like "Ultra Despair Girls" and I like "Ending -progressive-" (this one always makes me think of the opening for a DR:AE anime).

Bladenic

Totally agree about Discussion HEAT UP. Such a pumping tune for trials. That track, Box 15, and Beautiful Days are my favorites, along with the music that plays when discovering a victim.

Now that Ultra Despair Girls is out, I'm thinking about how DR3 will progress. As for other spinoffs, a DR RPG next please. The whole ultimate skills could lend very well to an RPG too.

Yeah, New World Order always gets me pumped up. It's such a great piece of music, and it always signifies some really big shit going down.
I like how when you first hear the piece, it is supposed to signify feeling despair, but as the game and series progresses, it becomes an anthem of fighting back and discovering the truth. It's really unique in that way.

Lusankya

I want New World Order, Trial Underground and Discussion -HEAT UP- in DR3. Hope it has some great sad songs too (things in the vein of Recollection from 999 for example).

It would be nice if they used remixes or handle it as they do in the Ace Attorney series.
In every new AA game we still have e.g. the Objection theme, the pursuit theme, the court theme, etc. but always new versions which are new but similar.

FluxWaveZ

I want New World Order, Trial Underground and Discussion -HEAT UP- in DR3. Hope it has some great sad songs too (things in the vein of Recollection from 999 for example).

I'm against these two. The return of NWO could be impactful in very special cases, but I really want this to be like Ace Attorney, when each game has its own soundtrack, but managing to evoke the same feelings as previous ones. They're consistently great (though AA2's was a bit of a fumble).

I think it's a mistake to recycle previous tracks. It dilutes the emotional impact they originally had, and it confuses the atmosphere of the game when it constantly makes you think of previous games they were recycled from.

I think there are certain "legacy" tracks that can be reused such as remixes on the main theme and maybe Climax Reasoning, but it's too much when there are a bunch.

I'm against these two. The return of NWO could be impactful in very special cases, but I really want this to be like Ace Attorney, when each game has its own soundtrack, but managing to evoke the same feelings as previous ones. They're consistently great (though AA2's was a bit of a fumble).

I think it's a mistake to recycle previous tracks. It dilutes the emotional impact they originally had, and it confuses the atmosphere of the game when it constantly makes you think of previous games they were recycled from.

I think there are certain "legacy" tracks that can be reused such as remixes on the main theme and maybe Climax Reasoning, but it's too much when there are a bunch.

Yeah, this would be my preference. Reuse a few songs like New World Order in the appropriate dramatic moments, but have most the regular music (trial music, other story scenes, etc) be new pieces, although with some of them being inspired by the old ones.

I'd like to see remixed tracks in 3, but not a ton. NWO and Climactic Return are some of those.

Stuff like execution music can remain untouched. It's iconic at this point.

PK Gaming

Beautiful Ruin, Nagito's theme A Ocean Breeze Dead End, Homicide, and Class Trial - Future Part are my absolute favorite tracks in the entire series.

Beautiful Ruin always fills me with intense melancholy when I listen to it, Nagit-, Ocean Breeze Dead End always makes me super tense in the best way possible, Homicide is the ultimate investigation theme and Future Trial is easily one of the best turnabout themes of all time. The moment where it plays
during Hajime's awakening is straight up my favorite moment in DR2.

kewlmyc

Beautiful Ruin, Nagito's theme A Ocean Breeze Dead End, Homicide, and Class Trial - Future Part are my absolute favorite tracks in the entire series.

Beautiful Ruin always fills me with intense melancholy when I listen to it, Nagit-, Ocean Breeze Dead End always makes me super tense in the best way possible, Homicide is the ultimate investigation theme and Future Trial is easily one of the best turnabout themes of all time. The moment where it plays
during Hajime's awakening is straight up my favorite moment in DR2.

A Ocean Breeze Dead End playing when Nagito showed his true colors make that scene one of the most memorable Danganronpa moments to me.

Heh, I'll never forget the scenes where "Let Us Sing of a Hollow Victory" plays. (DR2 Spoilers)
Hearing the faint, muffled chanting before opening the door to find Nagito's body is one my favorite memories of DR2. And then again, in Chapter 0 when he's shown with Junko's hand. It made both scenes pretty unsettling.

I like the "Wonderful Dead" themes from Ultra Despair Girls a lot too.

Yeah yeah yeah

Top Bottom