• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

kuYuri

I was just saying that you have an amazing story to experience. You probably won't be VLR-level mindblown, but DR2, IMHO, has much better twists ahd reveals than the first one. If you enjoyed the plot of DR1, you will probably like DR2 even more.

Agreed. Thw twist isn't unexplained bullshit this time around either.

The last couple of chapters in DR2 are crazy. That's all.
But forget the Internet exists before finishing the series - and DR0, if you are interested. There's a ridiculous quantity of spoilers out there.

Whatever happens, I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it. Been really getting into VN games these past few years.

Hey everyone, I did a dual video review of the first two Danganronpa games, with a promise to get to Another Episode soon.

I am actually interested in how people view my thoughts. I already got someone who vehemently disagrees with my thoughts on the first game's characters.
I felt given the game's a visual novel the 'objection' style parts of the debates were fine and helped give the feeling that you were actively participating in a verbal showdown even if gameplay wise you really weren't doing all that much, but other than that I mostly agree with your thoughts. Especially with just how brilliantly the two game's endings come together; even if on paper they sound like terrible, hackneyed ideas they're extremely well executed in the context of the games.

Especially about DR2's "No Literring" rule being too easy a way to handwave away people trying to hide evidence, though to be fair I think it's really only the third case this applies to. First one timing/location wise would've made it too hard to dispose of the evidence in many other ways than the way the culprit does and 2nd one was an active frame attempt, so it makes a bit of sense why evidence is just lying around in those cases.

I think DR2 CH4 might have a plot hole:
Why did they assume that the other people staying in deluxe rooms (Sonia, Komaeda, Chiaki) were actually honest when they said that they had not heard the alarm? Later developments in the trial do solidify Gundam's guilt, but up until that point, was it really impossible for anyone in Grape House to commit the crime? If Gundham had pointed this out while saying that he had been coming from the bathroom, could he have proved that he wasn't the only person to possibly have killed Nekomaru in the given timeframe?

Sölf

I think DR2 CH4 might have a plot hole:
Why did they assume that the other people staying in deluxe rooms (Sonia, Komaeda, Chiaki) were actually honest when they said that they had not heard the alarm? Later developments in the trial do solidify Gundam's guilt, but up until that point, was it really impossible for anyone in Grape House to commit the crime? If Gundham had pointed this out while saying that he had been coming from the bathroom, could he have proved that he wasn't the only person to possibly have killed Nekomaru in the given timeframe?

I think that would depend on how long Fuyuhiko was sitting in the lounge. Gundham could of course say he went to the Bathroom, but if Fuyuhiko was already sitting there for 30+ minutes without seeing Gundham actually going to the bathroom... He could of course also say he had problems, like Peko did in Chapter 1, but well, could he prove it? He also never mentioned anything, not before, not during and not after the incident. Let's just say that would probably draw even more suspicion on him. At least I would think that.

Sölf;183461312 said:
I think that would depend on how long Fuyuhiko was sitting in the lounge. Gundham could of course say he went to the Bathroom, but if Fuyuhiko was already sitting there for 30+ minutes without seeing Gundham actually going to the bathroom... He could of course also say he had problems, like Peko did in Chapter 1, but well, could he prove it? He also never mentioned anything, not before, not during and not after the incident. Let's just say that would probably draw even more suspicion on him. At least I would think that.
I can see Gundam being the prime suspect, but the thing is, I think that he could have argued he really was having problems (or make up another excuse), and if he pointed out the Grape House folk not having alibis afterwards, he could have asserted that it was not definite that he killed Nekomaru.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I mentioned this in the AE Spoilers thread, but I might as well ask here:

Hmmm, so got a few more days to write up a proposal on what game I want to write an 8 to 12 page paper on, analyzing it, its themes, & such. Very likely I'll do Another Episode (I'd do Persona 4, but I don't have Golden anymore & I'd have to look up stuff to remind myself) since I figured I can talk about:

1.) How it relates to the other games & the running theme of hope vs. despair
2.) All the child abuse
3.) The "mixed messages" (i.e. talking about sexual abuse, but then having freakin' panty shots on the damn victim who is also a child)
4.) The randomness of the (ch. 4 spoilers)
Toko vs. Komaru fight where your clothes get shredded (well okay, makes sense since Toko is using scissors, but you instantly get them back afterwards like nothing happened). Is it referencing Senran Kagura or something? & why?
5.) Perhaps the fact it was unable to stick with certain moments/elements, the biggest being (HUGE SPOILERS)
the ending & discovering the kids were still alive.
6.) The small evolution of Komaru in the fact (small ch. 4 spoilers)
her stance changes after her speech in ch. 4, showing she's more confident in herself & no longer afraid.

Anything else that might be worth talking about/analyzing in my paper? Maybe the evolution of the friendship between Toko & Komaru, considering how Toko tends to close herself from people?

I'll probably use the DR wiki to help me out and to such, considering the artbooks have a bit more details about certain characters.

Hey everyone, I managed to make that review of Ultra Despair Girls!

Though, a word of warning; the content of this game makes it near impossible to even talk about without spoiling a little of the first game, and I also intentionally reveal some plot points in this very game to make a point of how weak I think they are. Nothing really big, and certainly nothing within the vicinity of the ending.

I was reading some discussion on who the girl is in the teaser trailer and found this as a suggestion:

tumblr_inline_nxh2s6bkGQ1t4i1iq_540.png

That is one way to get Toko off your back, I guess.

I was reading some discussion on who the girl is in the teaser trailer and found this as a suggestion:

That is one way to get Toko off your back, I guess.

If I didn't knew better I would have thought it was a female character. The sprite is well done.
And obviously we need a Togami per game. Feep needs a paycheck after all.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Question about dr2 since I can't remember much of it after just having finished another episode (which I liked) dr2 and ae spoilers

so ae showed both kurokuma and shirokuma were both evil and junko ai right? Does this mean the white bear in dr2 was also evil?

daevious

Whoa.

was this revealed in dr2? Also did any game explain how they got the remnants of despair and stuck them in that virtual island?

It's been a while, so I'm not entirely sure about the intricate details, but
all of them came without much struggle because they intended to upload the Junko AI and then die in the virtual world so she could take their bodies and infiltrate Future Foundation.

Question about dr2 since I can't remember much of it after just having finished another episode (which I liked) dr2 and ae spoilers

so ae showed both kurokuma and shirokuma were both evil and junko ai right? Does this mean the white bear in dr2 was also evil?

The white bear in DR2? There is no white bear in DR2. Do you mean Usami/Monomi the rabbit? If so, she's not evil. She's the one that ultimately destroyed the Junko AI.

MikeDip

The white bear in DR2? There is no white bear in DR2. Do you mean Usami/Monomi the rabbit? If so, she's not evil. She's the one that ultimately destroyed the Junko AI.
Oh that was a rabbit? I thought that was a shirokuma, my memory of dr2 is bad..

So where did the rabbit come from if she is not evil?

daevious

She's a program made by the Future Foundation to help the cast of Danganronpa 2 recover from being Ultimate Despair.

She was created by the Future Foundation along with Chiaki to facilitate the rehabilitation simulation. (At least Usami was. Monomi is the warped version that was created by Monokuma once the Junko AI was introduced into the simulation. Both versions are good though.)

oh whoops, I was thinking of the wrong game based on his question and
the fact that he said bear
, the answer is No

MikeDip

Wow I played all of ae thinking (spoilers for dr2 and ae)
shirokuma was the rabbit from dr2

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Wow I played all of ae thinking (spoilers for dr2 and ae)
shirokuma was the rabbit from dr2

I was curious about this, thinking maybe it was the same AI the Future Foundation made. However, I got a little skeptical when someone made a hint BEFORE a spoiler about "Kurukuma and Shirokuma being the same *spoiler*". I hate when people make hints like that, when clearly it makes you think... I still wasn't sure that Shirokuma was evil, exactly, but then when it was revealed at the end of AE, I wasn't surprised.

So a novel was recently announced.

I suppose it was a matter of time. Apparently it will deal with a world domination challenge and an assassin.
I for one welcome new developments for our esteemed Togami overlord
Considering the stream for the series fifth anniversary on November 24th and the December 2nd event, there are plenty of Danganronpa things going on.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope Dark Horse gets on the manga/light novels. So much... And I really want to own a (properly translated) copy of Zero.

So a novel was recently announced.

I suppose it was a matter of time. Apparently it will deal with a world domination challenge and an assassin.
I for one welcome new developments for our esteemed Togami overlord
Considering the stream for the series fifth anniversary on November 24th and the December 2nd event, there are plenty of Danganronpa things going on.

Sweet!

Weren't there some novels that dealt with several characters' daily lives? Are those out, or..?

Top Bottom